New Krall-Costello material

Pretty self-explanatory
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

New Krall-Costello material

Post by scielle »

So apparently there's a new Krall-Costello tune floating about out there. Diana tested it out at a recent show. Titled "Home".
Hopefully we'll hear more in the coming days - she's currently doing some solo shows culminating in 3 nights at the Montreal Jazz Fest. Also, reportedly playing the ukulele; I knew she played alto sax and clarinet, but ukulele's a new one!
sweetest punch

Re: New Krall-Costello material

Post by sweetest punch »

I don't know if this is related, but it seems that Diana is in the studio with T-Bone Burnett: http://www.sonicscoop.com/2012/04/17/se ... -report-8/

(...)
Also at Avatar…Diana Krall has been tracking for her new project – produced by T. Bone Burnett, and engineered by Mike Piersante, assisted by Bob Mallory.
(...)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com ... Q2O58XzSRM

Summer 2012

Close to 60 reels of analog tape were used, using up most of the supplies on the east coast, during the first quarter of this year at Avatar. The bulk of them were used by producer T Bone Burnett on his projects such as The Hunger Games soundtrack, music for the Coen Brothers' film Inside Llewyn Davis as well as the latest Diana Krall project. Our tape machines are in perfect working condition and the results never sounded better. If you need something done on tape, Avatar is the place to do it
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis plays and sings harmony vocals on Diana's new album: http://www.dianakrall.com/news_d.aspx?nid=2455

Diana Announces New Album 'Glad Rag Doll' available September 25th!

Diana Krall's extraordinary new album, 'Glad Rag Doll' (9/25, Verve Records) is an exhilarating and adventurous exploration of new sounds, new instrumentation and new musicians. It stars a singer and piano player, filled with mischief, humour and a renewed sense of tenderness and intimacy.

The record reveals itself at that remarkable vanishing point in time where all music; swinging, rocking and taboo, collide with songs of longing, solace and regret. All are made new again in a vaudeville of Krall's own imagining.

It is at once a major departure and a natural progression for the gifted musician. Diana simply calls the album, "a song and dance record".

"We all just went in there as if the songs were written yesterday. I didn't want to make a period piece or nostalgia record," said Krall.

In fact, these are songs that Krall has spent a lifetime contemplating. Both her childhood home and her current address are stacked with 78rpm records and song folios filled with precious and unpolished gems, songs that have not worn out their lustre from repetition.

If any of these songs could be identified as "20's or 30's music", then they are 20's or 30's songs as imagined for the 21st Century.

The same could be said for a startling rendition of the Pomus classic, "Lonely Avenue", first cut in the 1950s.

The contemplative, contemporary reading of the old Gene Austin recording of "Let It Rain" finds a sympathetic echo in Krall's exquisite rendition of Buddy and Julie Miller's more recent ballad of spiritual longing, "Wide River To Cross".

Working for the first time with renowned producer T Bone Burnett and engineer Mike Piersante, Krall revels in a fresh sonic playground captured in the vivid grain and deep resonant focus of analog tape. Burnett has assembled a distinguished cast of remarkable men to complement Krall's piano contribution at an 1890s Steinway upright.

From the hushed to the howling, Marc Ribot's poised and sympathetic solo guitar accompaniment on the title track contrasts beautifully with a range of surprising sounds and colors.

As ever with a Diana Krall record, her distinctive feel and unique sense of time is crucial. She has established a new and exciting rhythmic rapport with drummer Jay Bellerose and bassist Dennis Crouch that has let loose some of her most joyous piano playing heard on record to date.

Among the new elements brought into the spontaneous arrangement process are the mysterious, sometimes comedic commentaries coming from the keyboards of Keefus Green.

The album will be released worldwide on Verve Records September 25th and is available for pre-order here: http://smarturl.it/GladRagDoll

Marc Ribot (Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, 6 String Bass and Banjo),
T Bone Burnett (Guitars),
Howard Coward (Ukulele, Mandola, Tenor Guitar, Harmony Vocals),
Jay Bellerose (Drums),
Dennis Crouch (Bass),
Bryan Sutton (Guitars),
Colin Linden (Guitars, Dobro)
Keefus Green (Keyboards, Mellotron).

LISTEN to "There Ain't No Sweet Man That's Worth the Salt of My Tears" here: http://smarturl.it/NewDianaKrall

Track Listing:
1. We Just Couldn't Say Goodbye (Woods)
2. There Ain't No Sweet Man That's Worth the Salt of My Tears (Fisher)
3. Just Like a Butterfly That's Caught in the Rain (Dixon/Woods)
4. You Know - I Know Ev'rything's Made for Love (Sherman/Tobias/Johnson)
5. Glad Rag Doll (Ager/Dougherty/Yellen)
6. I'm A Little Mixed Up (James/Johnson)
7. Prairie Lullaby (Hill)
8. Here Lies Love (Rainger/Robin)
9. I Used to Love You But It's All Over Now (von Tilzer/Brown)
10. Let it Rain (Kendis/Dyson)
11. Lonely Avenue (Pomus)
12. Wide River to Cross (Miller/Miller)
13. When the Curtain Comes Down (Hoefle/Lewis/Sherman)

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

It looks like he's influencing her too much. I prefer when it's the other way aroung, like when he recorded North (or what I like to call, the "I-love-you-diana album") and you could hear a lot of jazz and even Bossa Nova.

This wordplay on the title (sweet-salt) is so like him (I know she loves Peggy Lee, but still). The Girl in The Other Room already had a lot of songs composed by/with Elvis but it mantained her "soul". I just hope she don't forget who she really is and that her style and personality don't be overshadowed by her husband.
“Between tenderness and brute force.”

Last FM
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

I dunno - that song sample ('Salt of My Tears') sounds like pure gold to me. She sings more tastefully than usual on it too. If the whole album is like that, then it's going to be dynamite.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Have to agree with you-PD. If that initial song is indicative of the rest of the material on the record it will be pure 'ear candy'. I really am taken by that reverb guitar work on the song and have to assume it is Marc Ribot playing. She has given her vocal a real sassiness that holds my attention:

http://smarturl.it/NewDianaKrall
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

But I love it too! :) I just think it's not her

Last FM
migdd

Post by migdd »

The track is smokin' hot! Can't wait to hear the rest.

Natasha, I empathize with your concerns. However, this venture seems to find Diana in an exploritory mode and stretching her considerable capabilities. No worries, I think.
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

From Diana's facebook:
"Diana Krall talks about her first collaboration with T-Bone Burnett and the inspiration behind her new album 'Glad Rag Doll'!!"

Is she wearing his clothes? :p

Last FM
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Right, lets get this show over...the missus is waiting on the threads!
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Diana looks like Diane Keaton. Cool. Nice threads!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Separated at birth?

MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Here she is as the saucy, sex-fueled kitten in Looking for Mr. Goodbar. As a side note, T-Bone is looking pretty good, too. I wonder if that sweater is 100% cashmere?
Attachments
keatondrinking_40566_goodbar_2.jpg
keatondrinking_40566_goodbar_2.jpg (46.5 KiB) Viewed 16726 times
Looking_for_Mr_Goodbar_37658_Medium.jpg
Looking_for_Mr_Goodbar_37658_Medium.jpg (58.14 KiB) Viewed 16726 times
migdd

Post by migdd »

Looks as though T-Bone has dropped about 80 pounds.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Yeah, T-Bone shed some lbs. That shirt doesn't look like a cashmere sweater at second glance. I think need glasses or I should remove the booze goggles... Yeah, probably both. TGIF - the shackles have been released. Here comes trouble.