Mystery songs on ASCAP site

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

Mystery songs on ASCAP site

Post by And No Coffee Table »

While looking for information about Sparkling Day, I came across this list of songs Elvis has registered with ASCAP. Quite a few are unfamiliar. Anyone recognize any I can't identify?

http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?req ... 30&start=1

Am I Laying Tinder At My Own Stake?

Aterballeto
This is presumably connected in some way to Il Sogno, which was originally commissioned by the Aterballeto dance company.

Cold Mountain
Elvis said he "cut a couple of traditional pieces for possible inclusion" in the movie Cold Mountain before coming up with "The Scarlet Tide." Did he also attempt an original title song?

Det Store Lys
Co-written by EC, Jesper Lohman, and Kenneth Thordal. I believe "Det Store Lys" is Danish for "The Big Light." But has it actually been recorded in Danish?

Eight Gods or Eight Gods Of Harlem
Co-written by EC, Rosanne Cash, and Kris Kristofferson. EC is listed as the performer of "Eight Gods" and Rosanne Cash the performer of "Eight Gods Of Harlem."

Elements

Episode Of Blue
Co-written by EC and Cait O'Riordan. Ordinarily I'd think this was an erroneous listing for "Episode Of Blonde," but Cait didn't co-write that one…

For More Tears

Forbidden Nights
Just based on the title, I thought this could be from the Nightspot ballet.

Give Thy Soul To Me
That's Me
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong About Me
All three co-written by EC and John Mellencamp. Presumably part of the Ghost Brothers Of Darkland County project.

I Can't Say His (Her) Name

I Love You Too Much

Late Night With Jimmy Fallon Cues
Co-written by EC and Jimmy Fallon. Probably last November's Purple Afternoon improvisation.

Livet Pa Edberg
Co-written by EC and Synnove Solligard. This may be a translation of a familiar song, but I don't know which one.

Mischievous Nights
Another Nightspot song?

Mister To You

Name And Likeness - Elvis Costello
I doubt there is a really a song with this title...

Shape Of Things
A bunch of Elvis' existing songs were used in the 2003 film The Shape Of Things, but I wasn't aware of him contributing anything new.

Teddy Grace
Teddy Grace is the apparent subject of "Stella Hurt," but ASCAP lists "Spectacle (Theme Tune)" as an alternate title. Spectacle's theme tune is "Idiophone."

Test Song Links
Co-written by EC, Dieter Bohlen, and Andy Gibb! I don't know what to say.

The Uncrowned King

They're Not Laughing At Me Now

Under The Spreading Stanley Laurel
Elvis claimed he played a "hymn" of this title in concert last year.

Verkkoon
Co-written by EC and Ari Pulkkinen. Google tells me "Verkkoon" is Finnish for "network." A Finnish translation of "Satellite" maybe?

What Is It That I Need That I Don't Already H
The title cuts off, but I assume the last word is "have." I still don't know the song though.

Less mysterious but interesting:

All The Way
I assume this is the song fragment from the 2006 Night Of Too Many Stars.

Land Was White (When Summer Comes)
I knew Elvis had written lyrics for Oscar Peterson's When Summer Comes, but I don't recall seeing the "Land Was White" title.

She Don't Want To Go Home
An alternate title for "I Don't Want To Go Home." Has it actually been recorded as "She Don't Want To Go Home"?

Switching It Off (from Absolute Beginners)
It's established that Elvis contributed this song to the 1986 film and the title appears in the closing credits. But has anyone actually found it in the film?

Watching The Moon
Co-written by EC and Gordon Matthew Sumner, better known as Sting. Undoubtedly the "Watching The Detectives"/"Walking On The Moon" medley played on Spectacle.

And just in case there is any lingering doubt whether Lucky Dog is an original or a cover, it's an original.
Man out of Time

Re: Mystery songs on ASCAP site

Post by Man out of Time »

There is a separate listing for Declan MacManus:

This includes a song called " Coatnoise" by "Midfield General" which is a pseudonym for one Damian Harris, founder of the Skint records label. Does anyone know how this is connected to EC?

There is a song called "Go Away" which might be related to "Don'cha go away mad".

The Costello canon is even larger than we thought...

MOOT
And No Coffee Table

"Coatnoise" is a song which samples "Blame It On Cain."

"Go Away" is on Momofuku.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Fascinating !

The non-English titles with an additional credit to KATARZYNA GRONIEC refers to a Polish version of The Juliet Letters-

http://merlin.pl/Listy-Julii_Katarzyna- ... 99410.html

I must dig it out and give it a spin - I do like a scare before bedtime!
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

There was about a 10-year period where his songs were copyrighted under the MacManus name. Has anyone (ANCT) figured out when he reverted to Costello for his copyrights?
And No Coffee Table

wardo68 wrote:Has anyone (ANCT) figured out when he reverted to Costello for his copyrights?
Brutal Youth was the last all-MacManus album.

The All This Useless Beauty songs were written during the MacManus period, but they were copyrighted inconsistently, with half credited to Costello and half to MacManus. The original CD glossed over those details and credited Costello for everything but "Shallow Grave." (I think Elvis gets a kick out of the McCartney/MacManus credit.) The Rhino CD reflects the actual copyrights.

I believe the only newly written MacManus song since then is 2000's "Fire Suite Reprise," co-written with Roy Nathanson and Ray Dobbins. I can't explain that one.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Wow, so I suppose this is the definitive count of Elvis songs - 541! That's pretty amazing!
http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?req ... 25&start=1

Paul McCartney has 697

Bowie says 165 but I'm sure there must be more

Burt Bacharach 725

etc, etc.!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

And I bet he's written a few more since...!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

And No Coffee Table wrote:While looking for information about Sparkling Day, I came across this list of songs Elvis has registered with ASCAP. Quite a few are unfamiliar. Anyone recognize any I can't identify?

Eight Gods or Eight Gods Of Harlem
Co-written by EC, Rosanne Cash, and Kris Kristofferson. EC is listed as the performer of "Eight Gods" and Rosanne Cash the performer of "Eight Gods Of Harlem."
In the meantime "The Eight Gods of Harlem" has been blogged about briefly by Rosanne Cash:

http://rosannecash.com/index.php/site/i ... _city/C46/
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

In the meantime "The Eight Gods of Harlem" has been blogged about briefly by Rosanne Cash:

http://rosannecash.com/index.php/site/i ... _city/C46/

This entry in particular, I presume -

http://rosannecash.com/index.php/site/ic_entry/192/
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

"Under The Spreading Stanley Laurel" worth it for the title alone.
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

"For More Years" and "Forbidden Nights" were both mentioned on the Lies & Inventions page, the first as a National Ransom outtake and the second as a song from a broadway musical he scrapped after two years of work.

I wonder if all the songs listed had demos submitted for copyright purposes.
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

I thought "Having it All" was the mystery song meant for Absolute Beginners. When was the existence of " Switching It Off" discovered?
And No Coffee Table

The Gentleman wrote:I thought "Having it All" was the mystery song meant for Absolute Beginners. When was the existence of " Switching It Off" discovered?
It's in the movie's closing credits:

Switching It Off
Composed by MacManus
© 1985 Published by Plangent Visions Music Ltd
Produced by Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
The Gentleman wrote:I thought "Having it All" was the mystery song meant for Absolute Beginners. When was the existence of " Switching It Off" discovered?

Switching It Off
Composed by MacManus
That's very interesting. Seems likely an instrumental which could make identifying it definitively a bit of a challenge. Could it possibly be something that Langer and/or Winstanley remembered from the PTC or GCW sessions and worked into a bit for the movie?
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

The Gentleman wrote:

Switching It Off
Composed by MacManus
That's very interesting. Seems likely an instrumental which could make identifying it definitively a bit of a challenge. Could it possibly be something that Langer and/or Winstanley remembered from the PTC or GCW sessions and worked into a bit for the movie?
Elvis said in the BBC Spike documentary that "they didn't use it" with reference to "Having it All". The soundtrack album doesn't feature any of his songs, haven't seen the film so can't identify the music neither...
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

The Gentleman wrote:

Switching It Off
Composed by MacManus
My recollection is that there was a scene where a TV was literally switched off, and I always assumed the background music at that point was this tune....but it's really short I think. Who knows, this was more than 20 years ago.

Dave
And No Coffee Table

FAVEHOUR wrote:My recollection is that there was a scene where a TV was literally switched off, and I always assumed the background music at that point was this tune....but it's really short I think. Who knows, this was more than 20 years ago.
The TV is switched off 8 minutes into this clip, and it's immediately followed by a short instrumental.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va3UW-u-w5M
And No Coffee Table

It no longer appears to be possible to link to specific songs, but there are two new mystery songs credited to Elvis and listed at ASCAP: Moon Is High and Twist Of Barbwire.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i like it! the new songs WILL come.... :D :D :D
And No Coffee Table

"Twenty Fine Fingers" (the EC/McCartney co-write more commonly but incorrectly known as "Twenty Five Fingers") is newly listed on the ASCAP site. I'd love to know what prompted that.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

A reissue of Flowers in the Dirt?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

A new song is registered at ASCAP and by looking at the work ID it seems to be "Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter". Can anyone confirm this?
Strangely, it is registered as written by Elvis alone, so this version is not the Carole King co-write.
Could this song be used for the new Darlene Love album?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
edney

Post by edney »

Re Twenty-Fine Fingers, didn't Costello suggest that he was going to release the Macca/McManus demos at some point?
And No Coffee Table

I think "Twenty Fine Fingers" was registered because of its brief appearance in the "Mystery Dance" documentary.