Elvis On SNL

Pretty self-explanatory
docinwestchester

Elvis On SNL

Post by docinwestchester »

Thanks to WIWC for some excellent advice, I'm able to upload these vintage videos. Let's see how long they last...

Watching The Detectives on SNL December 17, 1977
Less Than Zero / Radio, Radio on SNL December 17, 1977
Last edited by docinwestchester on Thu May 12, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
when i was cruel

Re: Need Opinions About These Mirrored Elvis Videos On YouTu

Post by when i was cruel »

If you alter the quality or color of video it may, if you post it as educational and a disclaimer that its not yours it lets it by
It's not the days when you leave me, but all I fear are the nights.
docinwestchester

Re: Elvis On SNL

Taken down by NBC, those bastards. These are classic moments so I haven't given up yet. Stay tuned.
blureu

Post by blureu »

You could try to repost but don't have any mentions to SNL, NBC..etc.
docinwestchester

blureu wrote:You could try to repost but don't have any mentions to SNL, NBC..etc.
If it were only that simple, but it's not. YouTube processes every video while uploading and there is some sort of information embedded in the video that allows for immediate blockage if detected. I even tried a "stop motion" technique of combining a still image from every 4 secs viewed over the soundtrack and that was blocked as well. No mention of SNL or NBC in the text.
scamp

Post by scamp »

Doc you tried but don't get yourself in trouble over a couple of videos.
docinwestchester

Great performances here, thanks in part to the outstanding musicians around him:

March 25, 1989
Let Him Dangle - no better version, IMO
Veronica

March 18, 1991
So Like Candy - WOW!!
The Other Side Of Summer

Looks like someone didn't get a haircut for at least 1 yr, 51 weeks....
blureu

Post by blureu »

Great to see those videos again. What is that hat he's wearing in 91!?!
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

This version of Let him Dangle is so freakin' awesome! Thanks for sharing, Doc!
“Between tenderness and brute force.”

Last FM
docinwestchester

A top ten classic TV performance, at least according to this fellow at msn.com:

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/mus ... caa654fd40

This shouldn't work - Elvis Costello dredging up a decades-old cop-killing in England and turning it into a chilling moment of live TV. But "Let Him Dangle" off of 1989's Spike was a damning indictment of the death penalty, with Costello citing the ancient case where the guy who shot the policeman wasn't executed but his accomplice was. With the "Saturday Night Live" band backing him and guitarist Marc Ribot torturing his guitar behind him, Costello gave a frantic performance, screaming repeatedly at the end "String him up!" Absolutely stunning.

Can't disagree.
John

Post by John »

Great stuff - did enjoy that.
redsfan720

Post by redsfan720 »

That performance of "Let Him Dangle" was spectacular. I agree with those that they've never heard it better. I know I haven't.

One thing that stands out to me in that performance is the rhythm guitar of G.E. Smith. I've always held him in high regard, and his accents—especially throughout the chorus—are just the right amount.
redsfan720

Post by redsfan720 »

I must also add that the attached performance of "Veronica" is just brilliant. The band behind him is an incredible crew, and Elvis is in pure form. Like always, he has full control over the audience, even though the audience in that case was a live television audience sitting at home past midnight on a Saturday. Twenty-two years later, he still has total control over the audience in this performance. Sometimes that gets lost in the filming of concerts; the audience is still those in attendance. In this case, as it is with any television appearance, the audience is the camera. The way he communicates through it is unlike just about anyone else who sings in front of a camera crew.
docinwestchester

redsfan720 wrote:I must also add that the attached performance of "Veronica" is just brilliant. The band behind him is an incredible crew, and Elvis is in pure form. Like always, he has full control over the audience, even though the audience in that case was a live television audience sitting at home past midnight on a Saturday. Twenty-two years later, he still has total control over the audience in this performance. Sometimes that gets lost in the filming of concerts; the audience is still those in attendance. In this case, as it is with any television appearance, the audience is the camera. The way he communicates through it is unlike just about anyone else who sings in front of a camera crew.
He is such a professional when it comes to performing live. He was in really top form for the four Revolver Tour shows that I saw, and all the audience videos as well. For those special people with the new DVD, does that come through?

redsfan720 wrote:That performance of "Let Him Dangle" was spectacular. I agree with those that they've never heard it better. I know I haven't.

One thing that stands out to me in that performance is the rhythm guitar of G.E. Smith. I've always held him in high regard, and his accents—especially throughout the chorus—are just the right amount.
He is excellent. He's been touring with Roger Waters and sounds amazing on the audience videos I've seen on YouTube and Dime.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I thought GE Smith had passed away a year or two ago???
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Fortunately for Mr Smith,and, as the 'good doctor' notes, he is very much alive and touring as the previous post notes.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

FAVEHOUR wrote:I thought GE Smith had passed away a year or two ago???
You're probably thinking of T-Bone Wolk.
redsfan720

Post by redsfan720 »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
FAVEHOUR wrote:I thought GE Smith had passed away a year or two ago???
You're probably thinking of T-Bone Wolk.
Yeah, you're thinking of T-Bone Wolk, who spent a lot of time with G.E. between playing with Hall and Oates and the Smith-led SNL band.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

No, I wasn't thinking of Wolk. I distinctly was thinking of GE, played with Dylan, married to Gilda Radner a long time ago, etc. For some reason I had it in my mind that he had died. Weird.

DAve
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

FAVEHOUR wrote:No, I wasn't thinking of Wolk. I distinctly was thinking of GE, played with Dylan, married to Gilda Radner a long time ago, etc. For some reason I had it in my mind that he had died. Weird.

DAve
Nope, you were thinking of Wolk. Trust me on this one.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

OK, Platypus, if you say so. :D
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

maybe yer thinking of fred sonic smith, played w/ mc5 & patti smith. died in 94.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

ehhhh, i been thinkin' 'bout wolk.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
redsfan720

Post by redsfan720 »

Anybody know of a place I could see the '91 performances now that they've been pulled from Vimeo? I've been on a big MLAR kick this week and would love to see them.