On the official EC site:

Belk Theater at Blumenthal PAC
Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Tickets on sale 04/16/2011
migdd

Re: Elvis and the Imposters Charlotte NC July 16, 2011

Post by migdd »

I'm there!

It appears the Blumenthal PAC site confirms the US summer dates are part of the Revolver Tour and that the Spectacular Spinning Songbook is along for the ride:

"Following up on his 2007 appearance at the Belk Theater, Elvis Costello returns to Charlotte and this time he is bringing The Imposters – Steve Nieve on keyboards, Pete Thomas on drums and Davey Faragher on bass – with him for The Revolver Tour. For the first time in 25 years, Costello will let his set-list be chosen by "The Spectacular Spinning Songbook," a monumental game-show wheel that features 40 song-titles, including hits, rarities and very unexpected covers."

http://www.blumenthalarts.org/default.a ... objId=2564

By the way, Mr. and Mrs. migdd attended the 2007 Costello/Nieve show.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I still have my doubts about this. I don't think the Wheel is part of the tour after May. But I hope it will be, if that's what folks want to see.

Dave
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i remain doubtful about summer wheel as well Dave! many of these summer cities/towns appear as greatest hits show dates. naturally with the usual number of surprise inclusions in the setlist nightly. it will be fun tracking the BIG year of shows in the "100 songs by Beacon" thread. shall i rename it 200 by Newport??? hey favedave...did you hear Gramercy yet? a fun start to 2011 IMPOSTERS, right??? :D :D :D
migdd

Post by migdd »

Amazingly enough, I scored 2nd row pit seats for the show and that was several hours after tickets went on sale. There are still similar seats available - better ones than those offered by scalpers at twice the price. It may help that tickets are available through Carolinatix rather than Ticketmaster. Take that, scalpers!

The Belk Theater is a great hall with incredible acoustics. Still wondering about the advertised appearance of the Wheel. I can take it or leave it.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

EDIT: Never mind.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Amazingly, Blumenthal PAC still advertising the show as a Spectacular Spinning Songbook event although we all know from EC's latest report that this will not be true.

As a compensation, I think the band should play every "deep cut" from the recent shows and skip the greatest hits concept. Am I dreaming?
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Another preview in the Charlotte Culture Guide no less...
Following up on his 2007 appearance at the Belk Theater, Elvis Costello returns to Charlotte and this time he is bringing The Imposters – Steve Nieve on keyboards, Pete Thomas on drums and Davey Faragher on bass – with him for The Revolver Tour. For the first time in 25 years, Costello will let his set-list be chosen by "The Spectacular Spinning Songbook," a monumental game-show wheel that features 40 song-titles, including hits, rarities and very unexpected covers.
http://www.charlottecultureguide.com/event.php?id=10171

TIckets for this show are still available.

MOOT
migdd

Post by migdd »

Just a bit over a week away. Can't wait. My son and I scored 3rd row center pit seats right in front of the wheel. It appears the show is close to sold out.

Wondering what surprises await after the two-week break. Review and setlist to follow.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

enjoy migdd, bet you get a winner!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Who here is going?
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I'll be there! I'm loving these Wheel shows!

Dave
migdd

Post by migdd »

I'll be there!
blureu

Post by blureu »

Going too!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

FAVEHOUR wrote:I'll be there! I'm loving these Wheel shows!

Dave
what number wheel show for you Dave this year??? ENJOY! migdd and blu too!! looking forward to your recap! best, benny
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

"Church Underground" is back on the wheel.

"EIther Side Of The Same Town" makes its first appearance since the first night of the tour, perhaps prompted by Jerry Ragovoy's recent death.

http://itimk.com/the-spectacular-spinning-songbook
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

hope the first five song opening blast is eligible for changes beginning now also!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Twitter:
Steve Nieve on thermion (etc) with audience members in the dancers cage. Bedlam
The Songbook spun straight and true, and Napoleon was in fine form. A greater showman I have not seen.
Costello is an extraordinarily charismatic performer with a quick wit and roguish sense of humor.
Hilarious barbs against Murdoch and Bachman.
The Imposters are an astonishing band, with a chemistry that only comes from years playing together.
Setlist? Classics, obscurities, recent favorites, a Dylan cover, a Toussaint cover, and two by Nick Lowe.
Ample representation for my favorite LPs-- Get Happy, River in Reverse, and a couple from National Ransom.
And: "God Give Me Strength!"
migdd

Post by migdd »

Awesome, nearly three-hour show. Elvis was in great voice (only a little ragged during the solo numbers) and the band was on fire. More tomorrow as I'm about to drop. Here's the setlist:

8:05 pm

I Hope You’re Happy Now
Heart of the City
Mystery Dance
Uncomplcated/Shotgun
Radio Radio

SPIN - God Give Me Strength

SPIN - HAPPY JACKPOT
I Can’t Stand Up for Falling Down
High Fidelity

SPIN – This Wheel’s On Fire/River in Reverse/On the Way Down/I’ll Take Care of You

SPIN – Bedlam
Needle Time (!!!!)

SPIN – Episode of Blonde

SPIN – Earthbound

Either Side of the Same Town (Dedicated to Jerry Ragovoy)

SPIN (cheat) – PLU
Substitute
Chelsea
SPIN (cheat) – I Want You

ENCORE

Slow Drag with Josephine (solo)
Jimmy Standing in the Rain (solo)
Sulphur To Sugarcane (Imposters join in)
Alison/Tracks of My Tears/Over the Rainbow
Watching the Detectives/ Help Me

SPIN – TIME JACKPOT
Poisoned Rose (dedicated to the spinner)
Clowntime is Over (Slow version with original version ending)
Strict Time
Out of Time

Every Day I Write the Book
Pump It Up (original)/Ain’t That a Lotta Love

10:55pm
Last edited by migdd on Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
blureu

Post by blureu »

Just got back. What a show!

Quick scan of the set list posted. Detectives/Help Me was played too. Last song of first encore, right? Not sure if anything else is missing at the moment.

Lots of amazing moments. The Wheels On Fire medley was sweet. Elvis and band were on fire right from the start. His guitar work was killer throughout the whole show.

A great start of the third Revolver run. Hope I can make Asheville on Tuesday.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Love seeing Episode of Blonde pop up again
migdd

Post by migdd »

Good catch, blureu! Missed Detectives/Help Me when transcribing. Have a great time in Asheville!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Last edited by sweetest punch on Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Well, this was quite a show.

Two hours, 49 minutes!

The sound was really great in this venue. For once, you could hear every instrument.

Elvis' voice was in amazing form. The only times he was a little shaky was in the solo spot, but whenever he had to really let it loose, the voice was there.

Highlights:

God Give Me Strength: He started out a little wispy, but he went down into the aisles and just BELTED the song to the rafters (and this place has rafters). Absolutely amazing.

This Wheel's On Fire: superb rendition of this song, along with River in Reverse, On Your Way Down, and I'll Take Care of You. He sang the whole song on the latter, even though he repeated the first verse for the second. I've never seen him do it live, it was great. His voice is so much stronger than it was when he sang it in 1981, anyway.

Poisoned Rose: an audible called by Elvis, because the wheel spinner was named Rose. This was the best arrangement I've ever heard of this song. I've always felt this tune was overwrought in live shows. They played it a little faster, a little more country...I can't exactly describe it, but it was sung with more ease and less over-reaching, and it was great! Clowntime was also a little more in this same vein, played a little more casually, a little less stately in the slow section.

The crowd was fantastic. Standing ovations after evgery song, they sat down for a lot of the songs but jumped to their feet after almost every one. Thank God EC finally understands we don't have to stand up through the whole song to be liking it. (A lot of us can''t anymore!!)

There's more to tell from my personal perspective, but I'll do that in the next post.

Dave
blureu

Post by blureu »

Right with Dave on his perspective. Have to say Episode Of Blonde was a hoot. Couldn't believe it was along side with Earthbound. I think Elvis made a wise decision to fix the wheel for PLU. At that point in the show there weren't many of the "standards".

Was Turpentine the wheel spin that he fixed for I Want You? Another wise move to end the first set.