Elvis plays Berlin, Nov. 7, 2011

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.ticketmaster.de/event/ElvisC ... ets/CZ0711

Elvis Costello
Tempodrom
Möckernstrasse 10
10963 Berlin

07.11.2011 20:00
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis plays Berlin, Nov. 7, 2011

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

http://www.deag.de/rockpop.html?user_ev ... 59778d19f2
Elvis Costello

Der britische Musiker und Songwriter-Legende kommt mit einem Soloprogramm ins Tempodrom!

Elvis Costello hat Musikgeschichte geschrieben! Seit seinem Durchbruch in den 70er Jahren hat Elvis Costello bereits mehr als 35 Alben veröffentlicht und ist dabei durch sämtliche Musikrichtungen gewandert. Er gilt als einer der besten Songwriter unserer Zeit und ist mehrfacher Grammy-Gewinner. 2003 wurde Elvis Costello in die Rock’n’Roll Hall of Fame aufgenommen. Am 7.11.2011 kommt Elvis Costello mit einem Soloprogramm zum exklusiven Deutschlandkonzert ins Tempodrom.

Die schwarze Kastenbrille ist sein Markenzeichen: Elvis Costello, der Poet des Punk, Prophet der New Wave, Ikone des Postpunk. 1954 als Declan Patrick MacManus in London geboren, nennt er sich nach Mitgliedschaften in Bands mit bizarren Namen wie Mothertruckers oder Flip City erst in DP Costello und schließlich in Elvis Costello um. Seit der Veröffentlichung seines ersten Albums 1977, das es in die Top 40 der Billboard-Charts schaffte, ist er aus der Musikszene nicht mehr wegzudenken. In den Achtzigern widmet er sich unter anderem seiner Aufgabe als Produzent der „Specials“ bevor er sein viertes Album „Get Happy“ aufnimmt. Ein experimentelles Wagnis des Pop/ Punkrock, das zwar weniger erfolgreich als seine Vorgänger wird, jedoch symbolisch für den Anfang einer Reise durch beinahe alle Genres der Musik steht, die zum Begleiter seiner Karriere werden. 1981 erscheint mit „Almost Blue“ ein Album, das mit Country-Covern aufwartet und das Costello mit seiner Begleitband The Attractions und dem Royal Philhamonic Orchestra in London live präsentiert.
In den neunziger Jahren setzte er sich mit dem legendären Brodsky Quartett zusammen und produzierter das Album „Juliet Letters“, eine Briefsammlung in Anlehnung an Shakespeares „Romeo und Julia“ aus der Costello eine beeindruckende Mischung aus Songs von Klassik in Begleitung des Brodsky Streichquartett kreiert und das später als DVD veröffentlicht wird.

2002 erscheint sein erstes Rockalbum mit dem Titel „When I was cruel“. Von Songs für Filme, Theater bis hin zu Soul- und Gospeleinspielungen sind musikalische Beiträge Costellos zu finden. Inzwischen kann sich der gelernte Computerprogrammierer über mehrfache Auszeichnungen freuen. Mehrere Grammies, vielfaches Gold und Platin in vielen Ländern rund um den Globus und die Aufnahme in die Rock’n’Roll Hall Of Fame sind triumphaler Beweis der Vielseitigkeit Costellos, der nahezu jedes Jahr neue Songs intelligenter Popmusik vorlegt, die überwiegend aus seiner eigenen Feder stammen.
Am 7.11.2011 bietet sich die einmalige Gelegenheit diesen Ausnahmekünstler bei seinem einzigen Deutschlandkonzert live zu erleben.

ELVIS COSTELLO
Einziges Deutschlandkonzert!

Berlin
Tempodrom

Via Google Translate with some tweaks: German to English translation

"The British musician and songwriter legend comes with a solo program to Tempodrom!

Elvis Costello has written music history! Since his breakthrough in the 70's, Elvis Costello already published more than 35 albums and has traveled here from all genres. He is considered one of the best songwriters of our time and is a multiple Grammy-winner. In 2003, Elvis Costello recorded at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. On 11/07/2011 Elvis Costello comes with a solo program for the exclusive concert in Germany Tempodrom.

The black box glasses are his trademark Elvis Costello, the punk poet, prophet of the New Wave, post-punk icon. Declan Patrick MacManus was born in 1954 than in London, he called for membership in bands around with bizarre names like Mother Truckers flip City or only in DP Costello and Elvis Costello finally. Since the publication of his first album in 1977, which made it into the top 40 on the Billboard charts, it is indispensable in the music scene. In the eighties, he is dedicated to including his role as producer of "The Specials" before his fourth album "Get Happy" picks up. An experimental venture of pop / punk rock, which is indeed less successful than its predecessor, but symbolic of the beginning of a journey through nearly every genre of music is to be the companion of his career. 1981 appears with "Almost Blue" is an album that's backed up with country music covers and presents the Costello and his backing band The Attractions and the Royal Philhamonic Orchestra in London ago.

In the nineties, he sat down with the legendary Brodsky Quartet and produced the album "Juliet Letters", a collection of letters based on Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet" from Costello an impressive mix of songs from classical music, accompanied by the Brodsky Quartet creates and which will be released later on DVD.

In 2002 his first rock album with the title "When I Was Cruel". Of songs for films, theater, to soul and gospel recordings Costello's musical contributions are to be found. Meanwhile, the trained computer programmer can appreciate multiple awards. Several Grammies, multiple gold and platinum in many countries around the globe and the inclusion in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame are triumphant proof of the versatility of Costello, who presents almost every year, new intelligent pop songs, the majority from his own pen come.

On 07/11/2011 they provide a unique opportunity this exceptional artist on his only live concert in Germany.

ELVIS COSTELLO
Only concert in Germany!

07/11/2011
Berlin
Tempodrom"

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone here going ?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Yanyna

Post by Yanyna »

the setlist from official site:

Red Shoes
Either Side Of The Same Town
Veronica
Good Year For The Roses
New Amsterdam/You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
Bullets For The New-Born King
The Stations Of The Cross
Everyday I Write The Book
Bedlam
Radio Silence
All Or Nothing At All
She
No Wonder
Watching The Detectives
Radio Sweetheart
God's Comic
Alison/In Another Room

Don't Bother Me/It Don't Bother Me
A Slow Drag With Josephine
Who's The Meanest Gal In Town Josephine - Creamer/Brown/Ackerly
Jimmie Standing In The Rain
Brilliant Mistake
I Want You

National Ransom No.5
Shipbuilding
Peace, Love And Understanding
All These Strangers
A Voice In The Dark
"Everything Important I Learned In Life Was From Woody Allen."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's The Meanest Gal In Town Josephine - Creamer/Brown/Ackerly
This is probably more accurately known as this 1924 composition -

http://victor.library.ucsb.edu/index.ph ... al_in_town

Josephine (who is the meanest gal in town)

Authors and Composers
Henry Creamer (lyricist)
Ray Brown (composer)
Henry Ackley (composer)
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/kultur/fauch ... 13140.html

Fauchen und hauchen

Unplugged: Elvis Costello im Berliner Tempodrom

Der Trend geht wieder zum Langkonzert. Zumindest bei älteren Semestern der Rockmusik: Unter zweieinhalb Stunden machen es verdiente Schwerarbeiter wie Crosby & Nash oder die Cowboy Junkies offenbar nicht mehr. „Kann ich auch“, mag sich Elvis Costello vor seinem Auftritt im gut besuchten Tempodrom gedacht haben, „und ich brauche nicht mal eine Band dazu.“ Als bestens aufgelegter Alleinunterhalter mit anthrazitfarbenem Anzug, verwegen gemustertem Hemd und keckem Hütchen gitarrenschrammelt und orgelt sich der 57-Jährige satte 150 Minuten durch sein schier unerschöpfliches Repertoire. Wer sich damit auskennt, weiß, dass er statt der knapp 30 ausgewählten auch ganz andere Songs hätte spielen können, ohne dass es die Qualität beeinträchtigt hätte.

Doch Costello weiß, was die Fans bei seinem einzigen Deutschlandkonzert hören wollen: eine Best-of-Auswahl aus 35 Karrierejahren von einem der talentiertesten Songwriter Englands. Also haut er einem, oft mit launischen Anekdoten garniert, vor Energie vibrierende oder zum Zerspringen zarte Unplugged-Versionen von wunderbaren Hits um die Ohren – von „Red Shoes“, „Every Day I Write The Book“, „Alison“ oder dem mit Paul McCartney geschriebenen „Veronica“.

Dabei sitzt nicht jeder Akkord an der vorgesehenen Stelle, macht die Stimme des Meisters bei seinen charakteristisch lang gezogenen Vokalbögen auch mal ein paar unvermittelte Tonhöhensprünge. Aber was soll’s: Die Intensität dieser aufs Gerippe aus Melodie und Rhythmus reduzierten Rohlinge wiegt gelegentliche Verspieler allemal auf. Und Costello wagt einiges: Das Dub-Arrangement von „Watching the Detectives“ schreit eigentlich nach der musikalischen Unterstützung einer seiner langjährigen Begleitbands, doch das schräge Solo zu Drummachine und geloopten Gitarrenakkorden ist nicht minder hörenswert.

Immer wieder erweist sich Costello als kundiger Archäologe der Popgeschichte. So verknüpft er „All This Useless Beauty“ mit dem Refrain von „You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away“ der Fab Four – und hängt an „Radio Sweetheart“ ein Zitat von „Jackie Wilson Said“, Van Morrisons Soul-Hommage aus den frühen Siebzigern, bei der sich das Publikum freudig zum Backgroundchor machen lässt. Dabei sind Costellos quecksilbrige Entertainerqualitäten offenbar an eine Performance im Stehen gebunden: Als er für zwei Songs wie ein klassischer Konzertgitarrist auf einem Hocker Platz nimmt, verflacht das Geschehen kurzzeitig.

Ein paar Kracher hat Costello sich für die Zugaben aufgehoben: Erst erinnert „I Want You“ mit jaulendem E-Gitarrensolo daran, dass Liebeskummer so wehtun kann wie ein offen liegender Zahnnerv, dann hämmert er das kratzbürstige „National Ransom“ raus, um einen gleich danach mit dem asthmatischen Orgelgewimmer der Antikriegsballade „Shipbuilding“ zu umschmeicheln. Großer Mann, tolles Konzert!

Google translation:

Hiss, and breathe

Unplugged: Elvis Costello at the Berlin Tempodrom

The trend goes back to long concert. At least with older semesters of rock music: Under two and a half hours make it hard worker and earned Crosby & Nash or the Cowboy Junkies no longer evident. Have thought, "Can I" may, Elvis Costello before his appearance in the well-attended Tempodrom, "and I do not even have a band to do so." When in top form solo entertainer with a charcoal gray suit bold, patterned shirt and saucy hat gitarrenschrammelt and is roaring, the 57-year-old whopping 150 minutes by his inexhaustible repertoire. Anyone that knows, knows that he would have chosen instead of the nearly 30 completely different songs to play without it would have affected the quality.

But Costello knows what the fans want to hear on his only concert in Germany: a best-of-choice career of 35 years from one of the most talented songwriter of England. So he hits one, often garnished with whimsical anecdotes, vibrating with energy about to burst or unplugged versions of wonderful hits to the delicate ears - of "Red Shoes", "Everyday I Write the Book," "Alison" or with Paul McCartney wrote "Veronica".

This does not sit every chord in the space provided, make the master's voice in his characteristically elongated vocal arcs sometimes a few sudden pitch jumps. But what the heck: The intensity of this skeleton of melody and rhythm again reduced blanks weighs occasional gamble on forever. Costello and dares a lot: The Dub-arrangement of "Watching the Detectives" actually cries for the musical support of his longtime backing band, but the cheesy drum machine solo with looped guitar chords and less is not worth listening to.

Again and again, Costello proves to be knowledgeable archaeologist in pop history. Thus, he linked "All This Useless Beauty" with the chorus of "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" of the Fab Four - and hangs out at "Radio Sweetheart" is a quote from "Jackie Wilson Said," Van Morrison's soul-homage the early seventies, when the audience can happily make the background choir. It Costello's mercurial entertainer qualities are obviously tied to a performance in the standing, as he takes on two songs as a classical guitar concert on a stool in place, the action flattens briefly.

A few cracker has Costello is saved for the encore: only remembers "I Want You" with howling electric guitar solo in mind that heartache can hurt just as an openly exposed tooth nerve, he hammers the prickly "National Ransom" out to an equal then caress with the asthmatic Orgelgewimmer the anti-war ballad "Shipbuilding". Great man, great concert!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.focus.de/kultur/musik/musik- ... 82334.html

Elvis Costello rockte solo in Berlin

Es ist die ultimative Prüfung für einen Musiker, wenn er sich ohne Band seinen Fans stellt. Elvis Costello meisterte die Herausforderung bei seinem einzigen Deutschland-Konzert bravourös. Mit wechselnden Gitarren bewaffnet, unterhielt er die mehr als 3000 Zuhörer in Berlins Tempodrom zweieinhalb Stunden lang.

Ob „Alison“, „Watching the Detectives“ oder der Charles-Aznavour-Klassiker „She“, den er vor gut zehn Jahren für den Film „Notting Hill“ einsang: Kaum ein Hit fehlte.

Costello, bürgerlich Declan Patrick McManus, hat in seinen mehr als 30 Jahren im Musikgeschäft mit unterschiedlichsten Richtungen experimentiert. Als Punk-Rocker fing er an, inzwischen spielte er alles von Rock´n´Roll bis Klavier-Balladen. Es gab Platten mit der Opernsängerin Anne Sofie von Otter, dem Evergreen-Komponisten Burt Bacharach, der Songwriter-Legende T Bone Burnett. Zuletzt versetzte sich Costello, passend zu den heutigen Turbulenzen, in die Stimmung der großen Wirtschaftskrise der 20er Jahre und machte daraus vor einem Jahr das Album „National Ransom“.

In Berlin war Costello eher der Rocker, auch allein. In Anzug und mit einem Hut über seiner typischen schwarzen Hornbrille kam der 57-Jährige auf die Bühne, mit den ersten Takten eines seiner ersten Songs – „(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes“.

Den ganzen Abend war es erstaunlich, wie ein Mann mit einer Gitarre Bass, Schlagzeug oder Background-Sänger vergessen lassen kann. Schließlich klingt Costellos unverkennbare Stimme selbst wie ein Instrument: mal klar, mal heiser, mal tief, mal zusammengepresst wie ein kaputtes Fagott. Allein schon die Stimme füllte das in Beton erstarrte Zirkuszelt des Tempodroms voll aus, dazu gab die Gitarre den Rhythmus vor.

Und wie kann der Mann spielen! Costello fühlte sich an einem Punkt an seine Anfänge als Alleinunterhalter in einer Bar erinnert – und diese harte Schule ist unverkennbar. Oft genug konnte man fast denken, dass da in Wirklichkeit zwei Leute in die Saiten greifen, beim Höhepunkt des Abends, der wehmütigen Ballade „I Want You“ stöhnte und dröhnte die E-Gitarre in seinen Händen herzzerreißend.

Zur Ballade „Everyday I Write A Book“ (Costello: „Ein Song, den ich wirklich hasse“) klangen die Saiten wie kristallklare Nadelstiche. Für „No Wonder“ oder „Shipbuilding“ setzte er sich ans E-Klavier, beim frühen Song „Radio Sweetheart“ rekrutierte er das Publikum zur Begleitung. Zum Schluss sang Costello sogar ganz intim ohne Mikrofon am Bühnenrand und rief das Publikum auf, einfach näher zur Bühne zu kommen.

Das einzige Deutschland Konzert der Solo-Tour dürfte auch vorerst das letzte bleiben – Costello versprach, nächstes Mal mit einer Begleitband wiederzukommen.

Google translation:
Elvis Costello solo rocked in Berlin

It's the ultimate test for a musician, when he introduces himself without a band to its fans. Elvis Costello mastered the challenge of Germany in his only concert bravura. Armed with guitars changing, he entertained the more than 3000 listeners in Berlin Tempodrom two and a half hours.

Whether "Alison", "Watching the Detectives" or the Charles Aznavour classic "She", which he einsang decade ago for the film "Notting Hill": hardly a hit was missing.

Costello, Declan Patrick McManus bourgeois, has been experimenting in his more than 30 years in the music business with a variety of directions. As a punk rocker, he started in the meantime he played everything from piano ballads to rock and roll. There were plates with opera singer Anne Sofie von Otter, Evergreen's composer Burt Bacharach, the songwriter-legend T Bone Burnett. Most recently, Costello said, matching the current turbulence in the atmosphere of the Great Depression of the '20s and made it a year ago, the album "National Ransom."

In Berlin, Costello was more of a rocker, also alone. In suit and a hat over his black horn-rimmed glasses of the typical 57-year-old came on stage, with the first few bars of one of his first songs - "(The Angels Want to Wear My) Red Shoes."

The whole evening was amazing how a man can be forgotten with a guitar, bass, drums or background vocals. Finally Costello's unmistakable voice sounds like an instrument itself: sometimes clear, sometimes husky, sometimes deep, sometimes pressed together like a broken bassoon. Just the voice filled the solidified into concrete circus tent full of the Tempodrom, gave the guitar to the rhythm.

And how can the man play! Costello felt at a point on his beginnings as an entertainer in a bar reminded - and this hard school is unmistakable. Often enough you could almost think that there are really two people fall in the strings, the highlight of the evening, the wistful ballad "I Want You" moaned and boomed the heartbreaking guitar in his hands.

The ballad "Everyday I Write A Book" (Costello, "A song that I really hate") sounded like the strings of crystal clear pinpricks. For "No Wonder" and "Shipbuilding" he sat down at the e-piano, with the early song "Radio Sweetheart" he recruited the audience to the accompaniment. Finally, Costello sang very intimate even without a microphone on stage and urged the audience to come closer to the stage easily.

The only concert in Germany the solo tour is also likely to be the last time being - Costello promised to come back next time with a backing band.
Science Fiction Twin

Post by Science Fiction Twin »

johnfoyle wrote:Anyone here going ?
I went. First time I've seen Elvis live since the Royal Albert Hall in 1994.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Hiss and Breathe would be a good record title.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.maerkischeallgemeine.de/cms/ ... erdig.html

Allein mit seinen Gitarren

Elvis Costello gibt im Berliner Tempodrom ein denkwürdig reduziertes Konzert

Fast beiläufig schlendert er auf die Bühne, schnappt sich eine der zahlreich aufgebauten Gitarren und fängt an zu singen. Als sei das hier im Berliner Tempodrom ein Montagabend mit Freunden in der Kneipe, die ruhig weiter quatschen dürfen, während der Sänger mit Hut und Buddy-Holly-Brille zum Spaß seine Akkorde greift und für ein wenig Unterhaltung sorgt. Allerdings verstummen die Gespräche rasch, denn Elvis Costello zählt zu jenen Ausnahmekünstlern, die auch ohne große Geste magisch in ihren Bann ziehen.

Auf Begleitung verzichtet er, begleitet seine stilistisch so vielfältigen Songs allein auf vorwiegend akustischen Gitarren. Das ist umso verblüffender, als er sich auf eine lange Reise kreuz und quer durch seine Karriere macht.

Anrührend schmerzhaft singt er die späte Rockballade „Either Side Of The Same Town“. Leichtfüßig hingegen tänzelt „Veronica“ einher, den Song hat er 1989 mit Beatle McCartney geschrieben. An seine New-Wave-Hits in den späten 1970ern erinnert „Watching The Detectives“.

Nach den ersten Songs kann ein wenig Sorge aufkommen, ob ein solches Konzept lange tragen kann. Schließlich hat sich Elvis Costello seit 1977 in verschiedensten Bereichen der Populärmusik versucht, von Punk über Country bis zu orchestralen Einspielungen findet sich so ziemlich alles auf seinen Platten. Selbst in der Klassik hat er sich ausprobiert, viel für andere geschrieben. Vielleicht ein Grund, weshalb er zwar als einer der besten Popkünstler unserer Zeit zählt, aber auch als einer der stark unterschätzten: Er hat zu viele Haken geschlagen, als dass eine Fanschar hätte folgen wollen.

Im lediglich halb gefüllten Tempodrom aber zeigt Costello, warum er als einer der Großen gilt. Denn gerade in ihrer reduzierten Form entwickeln seine Songs ihren unwiderstehlichen Sog. Mit klar modulierter Stimme samt leichtem Kratzen singt Costello von begrabenen Hoffnungen und geplatzten Träumen, von einsamen Nächten im Hotel und von den glücklichen Momenten, die das Leben lohnen.

Sanftes Fingerpicking begleitet „Bullets For The New-Born King“, wüst drischt er die Saiten bei „Bedlam“. Als wolle er eine Lehrstunde geben, wie sich allein mit einer Rhythmusgitarre ein komplexes Arrangement so ersetzen lässt, dass nichts fehlt.

Hin und wieder wechselt er an E-Piano und Orgel, gelegentlich kommt ein wenig Unterstützung aus dem Computer. Doch im Wesentlichen hält Costello allein mit der Gitarre eine derartige Spannung, dass anderthalb Stunden wie im Handumdrehen verstreichen.

Er hängt noch eine volle Stunde Zugaben an, holt die Leute von den Rängen, weil er sie sehen will. Die spannungsgeladene Ballade „Shipbuilding“ liefert einen besonderen Höhepunkt, ehe „A Voice In The Dark“ nach Hause geleitet. Hoffentlich auf baldiges Wiedersehen.

Google translation:

Alone with his guitar

Elvis Costello is reduced in the Berlin Tempodrom one memorable concert

Almost casually, he strolls onto the stage, grabs one of the numerous built guitar and starts singing. As it was here in Berlin Tempodrom a Monday evening with friends in the pub, which may continue chatting quietly, while the singer wearing a hat and Buddy Holly glasses reaches for his chords and fun makes for a little entertainment. However, the talks quickly silenced, because Elvis Costello is one of those exceptional artists who draw the magic even without flourish under her spell.

In support, he waived his stylistically diverse songs accompanied solely on mostly acoustic guitars. This is even more striking when he was on a long trip back and forth goes through his career.

Touchingly painful, he sings the late rock ballad "Either Side Of The Same Town". However, light-footed dances "Veronica" accompanied the song he wrote in 1989 Beatle McCartney. On his new-wave hits in the late 1970s, recalls "Watching The Detectives".

After the first song can pay a little worried about whether such a concept can take a long time. Finally, Elvis Costello has tried since 1977 in various areas of popular music, from punk to country to find orchestral recordings are pretty much on his plate. Even in classical music, he has tried to write a lot for others. Perhaps one reason why he is indeed one of the best pop artists of our time, but also as one of the highly underrated: He hit too many hooks, as one fan crowd that would want to follow.

In only half full but Tempodrom Costello shows why he is considered one of the greats. It is precisely in its reduced form, his songs develop their irresistible pull. With clear modulated voice, together with a slight scratching Costello sings of buried hopes and broken dreams, of lonely nights in the hotel and of the happy moments that make life worthwhile.

Gentle fingerpicking accompanied "Bullets For The New Born King", he thrashes wildly at the strings of "Bedlam". As if to give a lesson, as can be replaced with a rhythm guitar alone a complex arrangement such that nothing is missing.

Now and then he switched to electric piano and organ, occasionally comes a little help from the computer. But essentially Costello holds alone with the guitar such a tension that spread like a half hour in a jiffy.

He still hangs on a full hour of encores, which brings people from the stands, because he wants to see it. The tension-laden ballad "Shipbuilding" delivers a high point, before "A Voice In The Dark" headed home. Hopefully see you soon.

--------------------------------------------------

http://www.morgenpost.de/kultur/article ... -Band.html

Elvis Costello braucht keine Band

Ein Mann und seine Gitarre. Mehr braucht Elvis Costello nicht, um sein Publikum zu fesseln. Im Berliner Tempodrom spielte er sich solo durch nahezu jedes Genre.

Es ist die ultimative Prüfung für einen Musiker, wenn er sich ohne Band seinen Fans stellt. Elvis Costello meisterte die Herausforderung bei seinem einzigen Deutschland-Konzert bravourös. Mit wechselnden Gitarren unterhielt er die mehr als 3000 Zuhörer im Tempodrom in Berlin zweieinhalb Stunden lang. Ob „Alison“, „Watching the Detectives“ oder der Charles-Aznavour-Klassiker „She“, den er vor gut zehn Jahren für den Film „Notting Hill“ einsang: Kaum ein Hit fehlte.

Costello, bürgerlich Declan Patrick McManus, hat in seinen mehr als 30 Jahren im Musikgeschäft mit unterschiedlichsten Richtungen experimentiert. Als Punk-Rocker fing er an, inzwischen spielte er alles von Rock'n'Roll bis Klavier-Balladen. Es gab Platten mit der Opernsängerin Anne Sofie von Otter, dem Evergreen-Komponisten Burt Bacharach, der Songwriter-Legende T Bone Burnett. Zuletzt versetzte sich Costello, passend zu den heutigen Turbulenzen, in die Stimmung der großen Wirtschaftskrise der 20er-Jahre und machte daraus vor einem Jahr das Album „National Ransom“.

In Berlin war Costello eher der Rocker, auch allein. In Anzug und mit einem Hut über seiner typischen schwarzen Hornbrille kam der 57-Jährige auf die Bühne, mit den ersten Takten eines seiner ersten Songs – „(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes“.

Den ganzen Abend war es erstaunlich, wie ein Mann mit einer Gitarre Bass, Schlagzeug oder Background-Sänger vergessen lassen kann. Schließlich klingt Costellos unverkennbare Stimme selbst wie ein Instrument: mal klar, mal heiser, mal tief, mal zusammengepresst wie ein kaputtes Fagott. Allein schon die Stimme füllte das in Beton erstarrte Zirkuszelt des Tempodroms voll aus, dazu gab die Gitarre den Rhythmus vor.

Und wie kann der Mann spielen! Costello fühlte sich an einem Punkt an seine Anfänge als Alleinunterhalter in einer Bar erinnert – und diese harte Schule ist unverkennbar. Oft genug konnte man fast denken, dass da in Wirklichkeit zwei Leute in die Saiten greifen, beim Höhepunkt des Abends, der wehmütigen Ballade „I Want You“ stöhnte und dröhnte die E-Gitarre in seinen Händen herzzerreißend.

Zur Ballade „Everyday I Write A Book“ (Costello: „Ein Song, den ich wirklich hasse“) klangen die Saiten wie kristallklare Nadelstiche. Für „No Wonder“ oder „Shipbuilding“ setzte er sich ans E-Klavier, beim frühen Song „Radio Sweetheart“ rekrutierte er das Publikum zur Begleitung. Zum Schluss sang Costello sogar ganz intim ohne Mikrofon am Bühnenrand und rief das Publikum auf, einfach näher zur Bühne zu kommen.

Das einzige Deutschland Konzert der Solo-Tour dürfte auch vorerst das letzte bleiben – Costello versprach, nächstes Mal mit einer Begleitband wiederzukommen.

Google translation:

Elvis Costello does not need a band

A man and his guitar. Needs more Elvis Costello to captivate his audience. Tempodrom in Berlin he played solo by almost every genre.

It's the ultimate test for a musician, when he introduces himself without a band to its fans. Elvis Costello mastered the challenge of Germany in his only concert bravura. With changing guitars he entertained the more than 3000 listeners in the Tempodrom in Berlin two and a half hours. Whether "Alison", "Watching the Detectives" or the Charles Aznavour classic "She", which he einsang decade ago for the film "Notting Hill": hardly a hit was missing.

Costello, Declan Patrick McManus bourgeois, has been experimenting in his more than 30 years in the music business with a variety of directions. As a punk rocker, he started in the meantime he played everything from piano ballads to rock and roll. There were plates with opera singer Anne Sofie von Otter, Evergreen's composer Burt Bacharach, the songwriter-legend T Bone Burnett. Most recently, Costello said, matching the current turbulence in the atmosphere of the Great Depression of the '20s and made it a year ago, the album "National Ransom."

In Berlin, Costello was more of a rocker, also alone. In suit and a hat over his black horn-rimmed glasses of the typical 57-year-old came on stage, with the first few bars of one of his first songs - "(The Angels Want to Wear My) Red Shoes."

The whole evening was amazing how a man can be forgotten with a guitar, bass, drums or background vocals. Finally Costello's unmistakable voice sounds like an instrument itself: sometimes clear, sometimes husky, sometimes deep, sometimes pressed together like a broken bassoon. Just the voice filled the solidified into concrete circus tent full of the Tempodrom, gave the guitar to the rhythm.

And how can the man play! Costello felt at a point on his beginnings as an entertainer in a bar reminded - and this hard school is unmistakable. Often enough you could almost think that there are really two people fall in the strings, the highlight of the evening, the wistful ballad "I Want You" moaned and boomed the heartbreaking guitar in his hands.

The ballad "Everyday I Write A Book" (Costello, "A song that I really hate") sounded like the strings of crystal clear pinpricks. For "No Wonder" and "Shipbuilding" he sat down at the e-piano, with the early song "Radio Sweetheart" he recruited the audience to the accompaniment. Finally, Costello sang very intimate even without a microphone on stage and urged the audience to come closer to the stage easily.

The only concert in Germany the solo tour is also likely to be the last time being - Costello promised to come back next time with a backing band.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Ta for all the info - might someone please share e.g. mp3 of 'The meanest gal in town'?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

thanks to the good doc for hand delivering this one to mrs. apostle at her job for me. nice surprise! can't wait to listen tomorrow.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Jeremy D wrote
Hiss and Breathe would be a good record title.
You've been listening to BA's recordings again, haven't you ?? :lol: :lol:
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

bronxapostle wrote:

Although I share on Dime, I find myself downloading whole concert to hear only 1 track, usually at quality not worthy of FLAC, but recorded suitably for e.g. mp3.

IMO/FME torrents of much FLAC stuff are a waste of everything, as they are actually best heard in suitable e.g. mp3 format.

Plus fact that - as someone who shares particularly unpurchasable mp3 tracks on Soulseek - I find it odd to have only a share-ratio of ... as very few people then upload my downloaded e.g. EC torrents from me. I am aware that elsewhere on this forum others have discussed other torrent-sharing clients.

To reiterate, has anyone please an mp3 or some suitable probably compressed format of EC solely '..Meanest gal ..Josephine' etc for me/others to enjoy-share with others?

King horses for King courses.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

apparently i'm not alone in that preference. luddite joe here. don't make me convert.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Who's The Meanest Gal In Town Josephine mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/?i8ws7033zyc8m0d
Science Fiction Twin

Post by Science Fiction Twin »

Did anybody else who went feel that he sped up the 'crowd pleasers'?

(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
Everyday I Write The Book
She
Alison / In Another Room

He seemed to race through these, almost tripping over the lyrics in She.

Highlight for me was WSFAPLAU which he slowed right down, gently strumming his way through.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

martinfoyle wrote:Who's The Meanest Gal In Town Josephine mp3

Thans very much as often for sharing this lovely Elvis Costello rendition - many are much appreciating this fantastic 184 kps mp3.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

martinfoyle wrote:Who's The Meanest Gal In Town Josephine mp3

A video has surfaced: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5PUT_CSZbw
when i was cruel

Post by when i was cruel »

Can anyone make out what Elvis sing in the second line of meanest gal ? "I don't know who's president, ??????"
It's not the days when you leave me, but all I fear are the nights.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

when i was cruel wrote:Can anyone make out what Elvis sings in the second line of meanest gal ? "I don't know who's president, ??????"
Just guessing...
  • I don't know who's President
    I don't know who's Vice
    I wouldn't know chop suey
    If it wasn't for the rice
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »