Elvis plays Prague, Nov. 4, 2011

Pretty self-explanatory
Yanyna

Re: Elvis plays Prague, Nov. 4, 2011

Post by Yanyna »

Another article, but it says exactly the same as the other ones http://musicserver.cz/clanek/36683/Elvi ... -premieru/ But it also says that the tickets are now cheaper: 2nd and 3th category was 1800CZK and 1500CZK, and now it is 1200CZK.
"Everything Important I Learned In Life Was From Woody Allen."
Yanyna

Post by Yanyna »

another chance to win 2 tickets: http://kultura.denik.cz/hudba/soutezte- ... 11028.html

Google translate:

CONTEST
Answer the question of competition from 29 10th to 1 11th 5x2 10.00 and get tickets to the Congress Centre in Prague concert of the legendary Elvis Costello, who held the 4th November 2011 at 20:00.

The competition question is:
What kind of band, Elvis Costello coming to Prague?
a) with the Irish band
b) with the band Bruce Springsteen
c) no, this is a solo performance
The correct answer please send an email with your name, surname and telephone contact from 29.10 November 1, 2011 to 10.00: soutez@denik.cz from all correct answers gets 2 tickets each 10th, 20th, 30th, 40th and 50 the correct answer.
Yanyna

Post by Yanyna »

two new articles in czech newspapers from this morning: http://hn.ihned.cz/c1-53460870-elvis-costello

Google translate:

Elvis Costello
INTERVIEW.
Famous songwriter debut on Friday in the Czech Republic. Going energetic rock and roll show, mixing various genres.

Delayed Prague premiere sedmapadesátiletého Elvis Costello, to be held on Friday at the Congress Palace, one of the most vymodleným. London-born with Irish blood is deservedly considered one of the most important singer-songwriter pop music personalities. Famous for the rich, poetic, or as needed textařským venomous tongue and a talent for catchy, yet supremely tasteful melodies. So think of it as his songwriting partner Paul McCartney valued, not to mention Costello's wife, jazz singer Diana Krall.

"In Prague will play without a band, but do not expect any relaxation! I can do rock and roll concert itself. People are surprised by the energy you feel from the show," jokes Costello.

HN: You have written a series of texts with political themes. Of course you are first and foremost a musician, but had you ever want to let himself into politics?

No, not really. But I understand that some of my songs are perceived as political, even though I have much to do, to write songs which tell slogan. That, however, applies to all of my texts, even the love. From the beginning I tried to write differently than others. It was clear to me that a lot of people have already managed to pass a more romantic, joyful and delightful love songs than what I'd mastered. Or údernější protest. I do not fit very straightforward expression of thoughts. So I always tried to look for other topics. Reflect strange, confusing, conflicting things that humans do. And more than anything I podsouval audience, I wanted to offer them the questions over which they may think. Also, I always was the fact that even so-called political songs aroused hope. To not sound just aggressively, even when reveal ugly things.

HM: With honor you have mastered an impressive range of genres from punk through retro pop and country to jazz and ballet suite performed by the London Symphony Orchestra. But if we look for in your music something unifying, in addition to emphasis on quality songs, it could be a search for roots? Often had to delve stylotvorným foundations of popular music. Or simply "just" use a genre that you consider the most appropriate to express a feeling?

Consciously looking for a no roots, it's more the other option. I myself actually have any musical roots. When I think of music that influenced me as a child, it will be both good bands and lots of strange music, which was played on the radio. Certainly in the směsce not very rock and roll. My parents listened to jazz and popular hits dad sang in a big band dance. So I'm very open, I have no prejudices against the genre.

But I have no roots in the rhythm-and-blues or folk music in ... When I began composing his own songs, I did not hesitate to use whatever I gave them meaning. Music history is so rich that it offered me a lot of options. I enjoy and look for music from other parts of the world and mix rhythms, textures and styles to support the meaning of words, or conversely they added a surprising shade.

HN: American and British tastes often differ. Misunderstanding related to your music in England with your relocation to the "New World"?

At the moment I do not feel part of the English music scene, but twenty years I had was when I lived in England. Now I live long in America, the last ten years in Canada, and logically in their songs relate to other reáliím.

But the whole time I go play around and try to understand and feel comfortable where I just. I do not deny that more and more and I feel lonely because I like everyone whose work involves travel, missing family. But complaining, it's my job, and when the tour ends, I can fully concentrate on children more than fathers who go to work every day and only have two weeks off a year. Which I consider most important. I live a happy life and I am thankful for that.

HN: What is to sing forty years after the first hit Watching The Detectives? It's still a great song, but you had to interpret it many times. For example, Mick Jagger has said he hates Satisfaction.

Songs from the first plate today obviously do not have to sing every night, so I nevypěstoval aversion to them. American audiences who have heard me many times, not even waiting for the old hits. But when I come to a new location and I feel that should I sing, I have no problem. Sometimes I play in America, when we use our "rotating program" ("wheel of fortune", on which are written the names of songs and the band always plays the one that is chosen by lot, note. Cars), so it's a chance that the old songs we have to play.

But we do not mind at all, inventing is different arrangements, preparing surprises. When someone erodes a genre all his life, he can still hit the same bait, but I do not see this as a trap. It is because I have always alternated version with the band and solo performances, concerts with one musician (pianist Steve nieve and jazz guitarist Bill Frisell, note. Cars) or orchestra.

Each of my performance has another program, sometimes I play more songs from the new plates, sometimes of the old, and I like a cover-version. Always trying to find the best in the song, which also applies to Watching The Detectives. So I try to keep the songs alive, to not lose significance. But it works only when it is put into context with the current repertoire.

HN: You will use a "rotating program" in Prague?

No. It's great fun to places where I've played many times and people know my songs. In addition to concerts with a rotating program is a lot of talking, interacting with the audience. Which requires me to everyone in the room he shared tongue. I do not think it was the best way to introduce the new location. Directness will be fun and more music. But if he was interested, we can arrange such a concert next time. Perhaps with the help of translators, as we did in the Italian tour.

When I began composing his own songs, I did not hesitate to use whatever I gave them meaning. Music history is so rich that it offered me a lot of options.

PUNK, JAZZ OR COUNTRY?
One of the most popular contemporary music songwriters Elvis Costello will play on Friday for the first time in Prague. At the concert in the Congress Centre London native plays a selection of his songs, which span genres ranging from punk through the country to jazz.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.lidovky.cz/citlivy-dravec-el ... ultura_btt

Google translate:

Sensitive predator Elvis Costello coming to Prague

We recommend first November 2011 7:00
For the first time with us this Friday will Elvis Costello - outgoing personality of the mycelium pubs in London periphery, which reached to the top of contemporary music, with no barriers crossed everything it intrigued. Singer, guitarist, composer, bandleader and songwriter will perform in Prague's O2 arena.
Who remained on the scene today from the British new wave heroes the second half of the 70 years? About Joeu Jackson or Graham Parker is not much to hear the band Dr. Feelgood is also almost disappeared, Ian Dury set, before he died in 2000. While Elvis Costello is an absolute musical values. A constantly surprising variety and creative activity, as if he had kept himself in a violent post-punk energy. Although it is also a very refined artist.

His real name Declan Patrick McManus was born and raised in London, a skilled musician family craftsman. With his father's dance band, a boy singing here and there. In years of high school but began systematically to play guitar with peers. First countryfolk and then actually pretty quirky and eclectic rock with new wave fashion label. At which drove quite smoothly and gave specific attention, almost pathetic, yet sarcastic and singing talent to write expressive songs. I respect stud in garish jacket, with large frames a la Buddy Holly and the name of the king of rock'n'roll and Italian surname of his mother.

A few months after winning the 1977 contract with Stiff Records label, focusing on post-punk, Costello gave successful debut album My Aim Is True. Next album This Year's Model and the single Watching The Detectives have fully penetrated. And he completed the first big tour, both at home after Australia and the United States, where he was accompanied by the band The Attractions, with whom - but under the name The Imposters - still playing. And over the years, it changed only bassist.

Costello then during the next decade matured in an original rock singer-songwriter is disturbing, a manifestation of an inner, high intelligence and text composer. Constantly enriched and changed into his music and received suggestions from various genres. I still have to hear his numerous boards pubrocku British roots, but also of Irish folk songs, as well as American country music, but also echoes of prewar vaudevillové music and glittering Broadway production. Everything with him interlinking naturally, effortlessly, with an extremely refined taste. And other ideas were added.

Anything and always after his
Perhaps the album King Of America (1986) to folk-rock sound. For the first time on it in the U.S. established Costello collaborated with producer T-Bone Burnett (partnership still takes) and in the studio enjoyed a championship guitarist James Burton, who once graced the recordings of Presley. Although a prolific writer, turning also to the great figures of country songs of Hank Williams, George Jones, Gram Parsons and (Almost Blue LP, 1981), interpreted by his standards, and numerous blues.

From another world, then the collection of images with the Brodsky String Quartet (The Juliet Letters, 1993). Spike plate (1989), as applied to history and to present music from New Orleans. Even more significantly, then the CD The River In Reverse (2006, together with Allen Toussaint), embittered over the inertia of government after the disaster caused by Hurricane Katrina city.

A series of songs he wrote years ago with Paul McCartney, but also worked with other greats of popular music, Burt Bacharach. Invited to record a jazz trumpeter Chet Baker, merged with progressive Soft Machine drummer Robert Wayattem. It literally has bewitchingly intimate duets with jazz, but rather it nadžánrovým guitarist Bill Frisell (Deep Dead Blue, 1995). Significant meetings with artists of different genres took place almost countless and apparently far from over.

For example, assembly of musicians on the CD Secret, Profane & Sugarcane (2009) represents the absolute peak of modern country music (Jerry Douglas, Mike Compton, Stuart Duncan, etc.). Relationship to jazz, although he never directly engages with the Costello also showed a few songs that he wrote for his wife, world star Diana Krall. With which the twins Dexter and Frank named after a giant genre, saxophonist Gordon and after the great Sinatra. This is the former postpunker behave in extraordinary esteem.

Probably only a workaholic Costello but also increasingly to sharpen contemporary classical music. He participated in the implementation of opera Steve Nievea Welcome To The Voice (2000), the board made the soprano Annie Sophie von Otterovou, is the author of several ballet and symphonic compositions. And among the many issues still inspiring side steps purely his own original CDs, whether in the presence of rock řízných The Imposters, or are completely different players and different orchestrations. Overall, there is more than thirty titles. Sometimes it affects them on current issues, so to speak, "society as a whole", as is the latest studio album National Ransom (2010). Although actually a roundabout way, because it is a verb means of inducing songs and musical atmosphere of the economic crisis of 30 the last century.

Always energetic, like to omnivorous and also extremely sensitive and original Costello is absolutely no controversy among the top music today.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Those Google Translations are fucking trippy.
Yanyna

Post by Yanyna »

I don´t have much time right now, but I can try translate it better in the evening if you want
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Jeremy Dylan wrote:Those Google Translations are fucking trippy.
:D

"Always energetic, like to omnivorous and also extremely sensitive and original Costello is absolutely no controversy among the top music today."

It makes perfect sense:

The always energetic (and also extremely sensitive & original) Costello is also an omnivore; as he explained in the quote "I eat both humans and vegetables"

and er..there is no controversy among the top music today apparently.

Absolutely!
Yanyna

Post by Yanyna »

The setlist:

1. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
2. Either Side Of The Same Town
3. Down Among the Wines and Spirits
4. New Amsterdam/You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
5. Stations of the Cross
6. Everyday I Write The Book
7. Bedlam
8. She's Pulling Out The Pin
9. Radio Silence
10. All Or Nothing At All
11. She
12. Watching The Detectives
13. Radio Sweetheart / Jackie Wilson Said
14. Alison / In Another Room

15. A Slow Drag With Josephine
16. Jimmie Standing In The Rain/Brother, Can You Spare A Dime? (Brother - off the mic)
17. Brilliant Mistake
18. A Voice In The Dark (unplugged and off the mic)

19. Don't Bother Me / It Don't Bother Me
20. After The Fall
21. Almost Blue
22. I Want You

23. National Ransom
24. Shipbuilding
25. Peace, Love And Understanding
26. All These Strangers

I can´t speak now, maybe later :) . It was awesome!
Last edited by Yanyna on Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Thanks, Yanyna, hope you really enjoyed the show ! :D
joseph pennington

Post by joseph pennington »

Just one addition to the above setlist tonight:

3. Veronica
Yanyna

Post by Yanyna »

oh yes, I Forgot. Thank You :) And one question: sings Elvis often off the mic? It was absolutely beautiful :)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Yanyna - I am so pleased for you.

Sounds like a great show :D

Look forward to your review.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

I really like these set lists featured on this 'solo' tour. Contemplative and filled with some imaginative choices and most representative of his varied catalog. See what you have to look forward to in a few days, VG?
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Yanyna

Post by Yanyna »

My random thoughts about last night:

Firstly I have to say, that it was my first time so I might not be the most objective person :)

the show took place in Prague Congress Centre, which is huge building built for meetings of communist party in 1981. The Congress Hall has a maximum capacity of 2 764 persons and last night there were about 500 people. But the balcony wasn’t available. I think there were at least 50% foreigners, maybe more.

I thought I would be nervous like I always am in situations like this :) But this one was something different. I felt so good and relaxed when he walked in. Elvis is great entertainer and seems to be really nice person. First one or two songs were with company of many photographers. “Red shoes” – excellent start. I think he has read something about typical Czech hobby - drinking, because when he was playing “Vines and Spirits” he was joking about Friday night and alcohol :) . “Stations of the Cross” is so good live. After loud Bedlam came intimate “All or Nothing at All” with smooth bossa-nova beat that I like a lot (I think he should recorded this one…). Next was “She”. People want it, I don’t like it. But it is my problem :). And than back to the early years with excellent “Watching the Detectives” again loud, again great.

The first encore: During “Josephine” and Jimmie Standing in the Rain” he was singing some words off the mic. (“Brother, Can You Spare a Dime – just voice without guitar… the gesture at the end was priceless…good actor also…) The audience liked it so he decided to sing the whole “The Voice in the Dark” off the microphone with unplugged guitar. He was just standing, singing, playing...and shining. It was something special I didn’t expect. It was one of the highlights for me.

The second encore was a bit different. Before “After the Fall” he said he is just in the mood for this song. And than first song with grand piano – “Almost Blue”. Delicate and intimate again. The second highlight came with “I Want You”. This song is so bitter, so sad and beautiful. With his electric guitar it was so sharp and the sound and feeling went right to my blood.

I am really surprised that third highlight for me was “National Ransom”. With grand piano, Wurlitzer and klaxon. That brilliant noise just stuck in my head all night. All this followed by beautiful “Shipbuilding” slowly heading to the end of show. “Peace, Love and Understanding”...”All These Strangers”...and the end...

I really like the way how Mr. Costello puts songs together and how he can manipulate and control the audience. Pure genius.

His hat and glasses and suit and shiny shoes with red sole...I was so amazed, speechless and happy after the show...and also sad that it’s over...

That’s all...and sorry for my poor English, hope it’s better than Google :)

And by the way, Joseph, if you are reading this...did he say he would come to Prague again with band? I’m not so sure if I heard it right...and did you enjoy the show as I did?
Last edited by Yanyna on Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Thanks for the great report, Yanyna.
Hope Elvis will visit both our countries next year. :)
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
krm

Post by krm »

Thanks for the review. This sounds very promising for the coming show in malmö next week!!! :-)
Yanyna

Post by Yanyna »

today on TV (evening news): http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ivysilani/1 ... e-v-cesku/

the talking at the beginning is not so interesting - just general introduction...but the report also shows some fragments from last night and short interview with EC

and here are some photos:
http://musicserver.cz/clanek/36965/Elvi ... togalerie/
and here http://life.ihned.cz/hudba/c1-53524050- ... -1-1337370
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

today on TV (evening news): http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ivysilani/1 ... e-v-cesku/

the talking at the beginning is not so interesting - just general introduction...but the report also shows some fragments from last night and short interview with EC
It's all going well until the reporter has to do a tired old sight gag at the end...
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Thanks for your report, Yanyna, it's a lovely piece of writing, and you're allowed to be as biased as you want on this forum !!
Hope you get to see EC and the band next year !
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Happy to read that you had a delightful time- like you share an appreciation for when he goes off mic- those moments in past shows for me have always been special as the quality of his voice is most evident when he just 'sings'.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Yanyna

Post by Yanyna »

I’m so happy you like my thoughts about the show!

Now, after two days I have strange tiny details stuck in my head...how he walked in...cold blue lights...the dramatic pause in Stations of the Cross...the relaxed bossa-nova beat of All or Nothing at All...the moment when I saw return of young Elvis when he was playing Watching the Detectives after unliked She...his clenched fist at the end of Brother Can You Spare A Dime...the moment when he unplugged guitar...his real, soft and gentle voice (in the dark)...the way he asked if we are rushing somewhere...the moment when the reflection of his electric guitar hit me in the eyes when he was in the middle of I Want You...how he put down the guitar and left after I Want You...so cruel...and how he returned...the red light and strange and urgent sound of National Ransom...how the noise changed into the silence of Shipbuilding...the feeling during first tones of All these Strangers when I somehow realized that this is the last song...and his shiny shoes...and unshaved face...and silver belt buckle...and the moment how he has left...

I know he certainly makes every show so special...but first time you know...and suddenly I have a problem to call him just Elvis...now he is Mr.Costello to me :)

I had to share this...

and now back to normal life...welcome to the working week :)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Well put, Yanyna . I feel rather remiss in that I saw Elvis twice last week and I haven't bothered to reflect on it in any way that even starts to approach your eloquence. I do have a lot of disconnected thoughts reeling around in my head - it's just a matter of finding the time to put them down on paper/the 'net etc. Soon hopefully!
joseph pennington

Post by joseph pennington »

Thanks for the great commentary yanyna. It's always interesting how people react to his shows the first time...

And yes, EC definitely said he would return with the band next year -- can't wait for that.

And yes, I loved the show every bit as much as you did. So many highlights for me, including Briliant Mistake, which I hadn't heard him sing in years. Lots of off-mic singing, especially on A Voice in the Dark. And I also really loved National Ransom this time -- I appreciated it more in Prague than in Vienna. I guess it takes a little getting used to the assault of sound -- but it's very effective.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:I really like these set lists featured on this 'solo' tour. Contemplative and filled with some imaginative choices and most representative of his varied catalog. See what you have to look forward to in a few days, VG?
Whilst we know there's no real "new" material, these shows allow Elvis to dip into his expansive songbook. But then again so have the Songbook shows.

Yanyna - thanks for a great review and I'm pleased your first show was memorable.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Yanyna

Post by Yanyna »