FAVEHOUR

Elvis and the Imposters Minneapolis June 29, 2011

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Now listed on the EC website

State Theatre
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis and the Imposters Minneapolis June 29, 2011

Post by bronxapostle »

sheesh...had to go back to page five to find this one to BUMP before a new thread gets started. hope Steve is well and we get a good reporter!
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

And if anyone is tweeting live updates, a hash tag of #ecff (Elvis Costello Fan Forum) would be great!

:-)
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Sounds like a plan. My twitter handle, BTW is "truesdelljyoung" and I'll probably tweet the setlist.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

thanks gentleman...following you NOW! bronxapostle, that's me at twitter. original, huh??? i will look for your reporting of show tonight, even if i get to see NILS LOFGREN in Tarrytown....i will look forward when i get home. thanks, b
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

Setlist so far... courtesy of TJ

01. I Hope You're Happy Now
02. Heart Of The City
03. Mystery Dance
04. Uncomplicated
05. Radio, Radio
06. Watching The Detectives / Help Me - EC on harmonica
07. Shipbuilding
08. God's Comic
09. Clowntime Is Over
10. Strict Time
11. Man Out Of Time
12. Out Of Time
13. Veronica
14. Stations Of The Cross
15. This Wheel's On Fire / The River In Reverse / On Your Way Down / I'll Take Care Of You
16. So Like Candy / Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
17. A Slow Drag With Josephine - EC solo
18. Jimmie Standing In The Rain - EC solo - including Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?
19. Pump It Up in 6/8 / Busted
20. All Grown Up
21. Talking In The Dark
22. You Tripped At Every Step
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Has EC been known to bust out the harp prior to this tour? He should guest on Craig Furgeson.
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

This night's wheel, also thanks to TJ:

EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

Final setlist, I think:

01. I Hope You're Happy Now
02. Heart Of The City
03. Mystery Dance
04. Uncomplicated
05. Radio, Radio
06. Watching The Detectives / Help Me - EC on harmonica
07. Shipbuilding
08. God's Comic
09. Clowntime Is Over
10. Strict Time
11. Man Out Of Time
12. Out Of Time
13. Veronica
14. Stations Of The Cross
15. This Wheel's On Fire / The River In Reverse / On Your Way Down / I'll Take Care Of You
16. So Like Candy / Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
17. A Slow Drag With Josephine - EC solo
18. Jimmie Standing In The Rain - EC solo - including Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?
19. Pump It Up in 6/8 / Busted
20. All Grown Up
21. Talking In The Dark
22. You Tripped At Every Step
23. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
24. Beyond Belief
25. Turpentine
26. Everyday I Write The Book
27. Purple Rain
28. Alison
29. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

nice to come home to...thanks Earl!
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Spinning wheel, Elvis keeps on turning

Article by: JON BREAM , Star Tribune Updated: June 30, 2011 - 12:01 AM : http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... 50933.html

REVIEW: Elvis Costello's showmanship was evident from start to finish in a fun, delightful performance.

"With his too-big head and too-small suit (and oversized spectacles), there was something a little cheesy and comical about Elvis Costello when he emerged from England in 1977.

Over the years, the punk rocker evolved into a musical adventurer and sophisticate, the Cole Porter of rock who worked with a classical string quartet, a Swedish opera diva, a New Orleans soul legend, the grand dame of jazz piano and even Paul McCartney. But the humor -- and cheese -- never left.

Costello has never been cheesier and funnier in concert than he was Wednesday at the State Theatre. He came on like part carnival barker, part game-show host, part lounge lizard, part vaudevillian clown -- but never like a rock star. That's because Mr. Hyperactive went interactive, old-school style with his "Spectacular Spinning Songbook" presentation. He used a giant roulette wheel, spun by various concertgoers, to help determine his set list.

This random shuffle approach did not make for great pacing, but this nearly three-hour show was not about flow, it was about fun -- unfettered, free-wheeling fun. Costello, 56, demonstrated his innate goofiness, admirable derring-do, nimble showmanship and endless charm as he joked with wheel spinners who sometimes fudged with the wheel (he assisted them) and then sat at his Society Lounge bar or danced in a go-go dancer's cage as he serenaded them. (Costello even joined Heidi and Lisa, who have listened to Elvis for 30 years, in the cage.)

The evening actually opened with a shotgun-paced barrage of early Elvis, including a revved-up "Mystery Dance" and a rollicking "Radio Radio." Then it became "Wheel of Fortune" meets "Austin Powers" as Costello's quick wit often offset the ballad-heavy luck of the 40-song roulette spin. At one point, he just took over and, without explanation, offered a medley of the Band's jubilant rocker "This Wheel's on Fire" and the smoldering blues "The River in Reverse." That had to rival the "time" medley for the long night's musical highlights as Costello and the Imposters played a few songs with "time" in the title, ending with the intense "Man Out of Time" with the star strolling through the crowd singing and high-fiving fans.

Beyond the versatile, impassioned singing and the delightful raconteurship, Costello proved himself as a guitar star, unleashing everything from "Twilight Zone"-evoking riffs to wah wah funk to blistering blues. But the instrumental MVP had to be keyboardist Steve Nieve, who added the right atmospheric enhancements, whether it was a jazzy bridge on "Shipbuilding," a churchy organ on "Clown Time Is Over" or weird screeches in "Chelsea."

Costello threw in covers of the Animals' seethingly urgent "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" and Prince's joyous "Purple Rain," which was part of a long encore -- including the groovy "Everyday I Write the Book," the liberating "Peace, Love and Understanding" and the romantic "Alison" entwined with "Tracks of My Tears" and "Your Cheatin' Heart" -- that was all about unfettered musical fun."

MOOT
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Elvis Costello & the Impostors at the State Theatre, 6/29/11
By Jeff Gage

Thu., Jun. 30 2011 at 9:00 AM

The first member of the audience who got to spin the big wheel sitting on stage at the State last night was a woman named Heidi. She ran up on stage, squealing with delight, and gave Elvis Costello an enormous hug. "My friend and I have been following you for 30 years!" she exclaimed. At that, Costello, dressed in a black top hat, ushered Heidi's friend, Lisa, on stage as well, and the two women spun the wheel together to see what song would be played next.

There were song titles spread around the wheel from all across Costello's career, including some that weren't even his, and most of which would get played before the night was through. Yet, appropriately enough, the one Heidi and Lisa landed on wasn't even a song, it was the wild card category: "Joker."

Landing there proved a special privilege, for the two got to pick whatever song they wanted off the wheel, then were invited to sit down on a couple of stools and enjoy drinks in the "Society Lounge" (a small bar) while Costello and his band, the Impostors, played "Watching the Detectives."

The night's elaborate stage show was mostly an excuse to play the part of the variety show host or vaudeville performer, and the man otherwise known as Declan MacManus did so cheekily, pointing to the wheel early in the night and declaring wryly, "Look at those hits!" Hell, there was even a caged go-go dancer, which tells you just about everything you need to know.

At the heart of the whole set up was the wheel (which he resurrected after having first been used back in the 80s), something that was inevitably a gimmick, but it was more than that too. On the one hand, the cynic could easily point out that after four decades of performing, Costello needs something to keep things interesting for himself, so why not have the audience put together his set list? (Not that it's quite that simple, but hey, a little unpredictably never hurts.)

On the other hand, it was a unique means of reaching out to his audience, not only from an interactive standpoint but, more importantly, in a way that was evidenced by the sheer excitement write large across the face of each guest who had the chance to meet the man himself.

It was fortunate, nonetheless, that Costello didn't rely exclusively on the wheel (the opening four songs were sans wheel, as was most of the encore), and more importantly, he put on an inspired show that would have been enjoyable without the stage props. The set lasted nearly a full three hours, the selection of songs reading like a greatest hits which he sprinkled with covers and bits and pieces of numerous other songs from Tin Pan Alley to The Wizard of Oz. His voice was remarkably strong as well, it having apparently aged much better than a number of his peers', and on multiple occasions he tore off crackling solos as a reminder that he's no slouch with the guitar either.​

Costello being Costello, he was more than happy to break the rules of his own game along the way, sometimes giving an extra spin so the wheel would land on a particular song or else working some loopholes into the rules themselves, like a category where he played a set of "Time" themed songs. So it shouldn't have been a surprise that, on a night in which he presented himself as the human jukebox, some of the more interesting moments should come from the songs that weren't even his.

Case in point: his cover of Bob Dylan's "This Wheel's on Fire." Costello stretched the song's slow, dirge-like arrangement out to be the longest of the night and combined it with one of his own, latter-day numbers "The River in Reverse" and anther cover, "I'll Take Care of You." The result transformed "Wheel's" contemplation of obligation and betrayal first into a near-religious rumination and later into a endearing expression of love, proving in one stroke that Costello remains an artist capable of reinventing and redefining his work, as well as that of others.

Perhaps it wasn't the most memorable song of the evening (there were plenty of his favorites for that). And perhaps Costello didn't build in such a mid-set centerpiece with the irony of the wheel in mind. Then again, perhaps he was just being a joker all along.

Critics' Bias:
I'll admit, I don't think I've ever watched his TV show. Nothing personal.

The crowd:
Mostly middle aged, which seems like a fair reflection of the ticket prices, which ranged from $50 to $90.

Overheard in the crowd:
(while drunkenly texting) Let me get up there and spin that wheel! I want to spin that wheel!

Random notebook dump:
What do you know, almost three hours and of course we get a little Prince out of the deal too...

For more photos:
See our full slideshow by Erik Hess.

Elvis Costello's smile-inducing roulette rock set list from State Theatre

Posted by: Jon Bream under Music
Updated: June 30, 2011 - 3:26 AM

Other Elvis Costello concerts have been more musically satisfying, more carefully orchestrated and more intensely passionate. But none was more smile-inducing than Wednesday’s at the State Theatre.

As I discussed in my review, Costello had fun with whomever came onstage to spin his rock roulette wheel. There were two women, best friends since high school who had been listening to Elvis for 30 years; a young woman and her grandmother; a series of married couples, etc.

Always a quick wit, Costello made fun of himself (he said when he first came to the States he tried to sound like a cross between John Lennon and Johnny Rotten; he probably should have made fun of his plaid sportcoat and the too-small gold-lame jacket), joked about giving equal time to Minneapolis and St.Paul, and hurled some political zingers, telling one wheel spinner that the world’s last five minutes of entertainment was in her hands because the Rapture is coming. Said Elvis: "The goal here is that they take Glen Beck and Michele Bachmann first."

Reprising a tour concept from 1986 (that never came to the Twin Cities), Costello’s Spectacular Spinning Wheel — which was almost three times taller than Elvis — featured 40 spaces. There were 32 specific songs, three jokers (spinner’s choice) and five topics (such as "time," for songs with time in the title, and "joanna," which Elvis said is Cockney slang for piano, hence it was pianist Steve Nieve’s choice).

Here is an attempt at a set list for a performance that was nine minutes short of three hours:

I Hope You’re Happy Now/ Heart of the City/ Mystery Dance/ Uncomplicated/ Radio Radio/ Watching the Detectives/ Shipbuilding/ God’s Comic/ Clown Time Is Over/ Next Time Round/ Man Out of Time/ Veronica/ Stations of the Cross/ ??? bluesy recitation about Louisiana / This Wheel’s on Fire (the Band/Bob Dylan) >The River in Reverse/ So Like Candy/ Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood (Animals) ENCORE A Slow Drag with Josephine/ Jimmie Standing in the Rain/ Pump It Up (unrecognizable bluesy piano version)> Busted (Ray Charles) ENCORE 2 All Grown Up/ You Tripped at Every Step/ Chelsea/ Beyond Belief/ Turpentine/ Everyday I Write the Book/ Purple Rain (Prince) / Alison>Tracks of My Tears (Smokey Robinson)>Your Cheatin’ Heart (Hank Williams)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Is the band doing a full version of Purple Rain now?

Also is it Your Cheating Heart or is it You win again (or something else for that matter) during Alison?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Is the band doing a full version of Purple Rain now?

Also is it Your Cheating Heart or is it You win again (or something else for that matter) during Alison?
"Purple Rain" was a stand-alone performance that I recall as being more or less complete. In fact, most of the medleys were of what seemed to be complete performances of "I'll Take Care of You," "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood," and "On The Way Down" (though in a live setting, sometimes it's easy to miss the fact if a verse is skipped here or there). Some of these songs like "This Wheel's On Fire" are becoming virtual jackpots in their own right. "Help Me" and "Brother, Can you Spare a Dime" on the other hand, were more akin to the traditional "Alison" medley, more of a snippet than a full performance.

Speaking of "Alison", I don't recall hearing "Your Cheating Heart." As you said, I think the author meant "You Win Again". There was a section of the medley with lyrics along the lines of "You cheated on me" that I did not recognize, which probably is the source of the confusion. There was also "Over the rainbow" and "Tracks of My Tears". Other songs might have been incorporated as well.

Strangely, when I heard "Everything I Write The Book" last night, I initially misidentified it as a bizarre new arrangement of "Alison". I must have transposed the "hands in your sweater" line with "take off your party dress" or something. Once I realized what it was, it was a hoot to hear the original PTC arrangement of EDIWTB-- it was hard to tell if it was being performed tongue-in-cheeck but it worked very well. I was almost expecting to hear it followed up with the Love Unlimited Orchestra arrangement of "Town Cryer."
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Concert Review: Elvis Costello & The Imposters at The State Theatre

By Jeremy Zoss

The State Theatre proved to be the perfect venue for Elvis Costello & The Imposters last night, as the veteran performer put on a show that was more vaudeville show than straightforward rock concert. After ripping through a high-energy four-song set that concluded with one of Costello’s biggest hits “Radio Radio,” attention turned to the enormous wheel at the center of the current “Spectacular Spinning Songbook Tour.”

A revival of a popular tour from the mid-1980s, the Spinning Songbook Tour saw several members of the audience invited on stage to spin the giant wheel and randomly determine the setlist. “Tonight we’ll hear songs all about love. And sex. And death,” Costello bantered. “But not necessarily in that order.”

Fate was on the side of the spinners last night. The first, a woman named Heidi, gushed that she had been following Costello for 30 years. Her spin landed on a wild card slot, so she got to pick exactly the song she wanted and chose “Watching the Detectives.” The next spinner, a man named Ben, said he’d cry if the wheel landed on “Shipbuilding.” It did. No word on whether or not Ben cried.

With each spin of the wheel, Costello and the band launched into a veritable mini-concert. Each bite-sized set was accompanied by its own theatrics, such as a caged go-go dancer with boundless energy, Costello singing in the aisles and remixed versions of some of his most popular songs The crowds were on their feet at the end of nearly every mini-set – Costello’s voice has lost little over the years and he still plays guitar with more bite and flash than musicians half his age.

After three hours of random song choices (which managed to include most of Costello’s greatest hits) and an encore that went on nearly as long as the main set, the show ended with Costello looking like he could have played for another three hours. It was a high-energy show with a lot of flash, colorful banter (including some digs at local political figures) and one irresistible central gimmick. Sure, the Spinning Songbook is a gimmick, but it’s one that Costello clearly enjoyed. His good spirits were certainly reciprocated by the crowd.

Best moments: Two enthralled female fans dancing with Costello inside the go-go cage, Costello concluding a mini solo set by singing a capella – without a microphone.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

The Gentleman wrote: Speaking of "Alison", I don't recall hearing "Your Cheating Heart." As you said, I think the author meant "You Win Again". There was a section of the medley with lyrics along the lines of "You cheated on me" that I did not recognize, which probably is the source of the confusion. There was also "Over the rainbow" and "Tracks of My Tears". Other songs might have been incorporated as well.
This youtube video shows the medley included "Tracks Of My Tears," "You've Been Cheatin'," "You Win Again," "The Wind Cries Mary," "Over The Rainbow" and "Somewhere."
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

The Gentleman wrote
I was almost expecting to hear it followed up with the Love Unlimited Orchestra arrangement of "Town Cryer"
If Elvis performs this live during this tour, I'll pay for everyone on the forum to come to all the UK shows in the autumn!! :lol: I think my money's safe though :roll:
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.