Elvis guesting on Clover reunion album , 2018 - cd on sale in Mill Valley , July 2018

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis guesting on Clover reunion album , 2018 - cd on sale in Mill Valley , July 2018

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.charlesriverpress.com/

http://alexcall.wordpress.com/2011/03/2 ... -saved-me/

What the Stars are saying about 867-5309/Jenny: the song that saved me

Posted on March 20, 2011 by alexcall

(extract)

Elvis Costello

You’ve written a vivid, honest feeling memoir .Alex and his Clover colleagues were once almost-mythical figures on a record sleeve to me. This book fills in the human story between those photographs and the guys I got to know at the very start of my career and those I am still happy to call my friends. Read this and you’ll realize, music has been a passport, an occasional alibi and something to catch you when you fall.
Last edited by johnfoyle on Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis recommends Alex Call (Clover) memoir

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Re: Elvis recommends Alex Call (Clover) memoir

Post by johnfoyle »

Clover's Alex Call just posted this on Facebook -is a reunion on the way ? ' Making noise with John McFee, Mitch Howie, and Alex Call ...what's up? Chickenbutt, that's what! '
johnfoyle

Re: Clover reunion on the way?

Post by johnfoyle »

Alex has since posted that Clover are making new recordings
johnfoyle

Re: Clover reunion on the way?

Post by johnfoyle »

From Nov. 11th , Alex Call posts to a Clover f/book page -

'Clover's association with Elvis Costello goes way back to his first album My Aim is True, which John McFee, Sean Hopper, and Johnny Ciambotti, plus Micky Shine, played on. John McFee is re-recording 12 old Clover songs for our new album, Homestead Redemption ( from my and Mitch Howie's old neighborhood) and Elvis is going to sing a version of Mr Moon on it. For purists there will also be a straight Clover version as well with me singing.'

Elvis sang Mr Moon in 2007

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/index.php/Mr._Moon
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis guesting on Clover reunion album , 2016

Post by johnfoyle »

Alex Call posted yesterday to facebook -

Alex Call , Mitch Howie, and John McFee are coming together in Santa Inez to finish the upcoming Old Clover, " Homestead Redemption" album next week! The album is twelve of our songs from the first two Fantasy Records Clover albums, featuring guest appearances by Elvis Costello, Huey Lewis, Peter Thomas, Sean Hopper, and Gia Ciambotti. We miss Johnny Ciambotti, of course, but Gia ( Bruce Springsteen, the Graces, Natalie Cole) does some of his high vocal parts.

I can't wait to be able to play it for you. It's a stunning showcase of virtuosity and a time machine to the late 60's, when the world and music was a lot more innocent and less calculating! Our fans will get their Chickenbutt back!

We hope that the record will generate a fun concert in Marin before too long
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Alex Call on f/book -

Clover reunited, with Gia Ciambotti stepping in for her dad Johnny
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oSBPX_gprE

Elvis Costello sings Clover's Mr Moon

Alex Call
Published on Apr 1, 2016

"Sorry, you'll have to wait for Clover's new album "Homestead Redemption" to hear the whole song, folks! Actual string quartet by John McFee. Song written by Alex Call. Thanks, Elvis!"

cwr

Post by cwr »

This sounds great!

Maybe it's my imagination but I almost sense a hit of Elvis channeling a tiny bit of 1977-Elvis in his vocal here. Just a playful hint of it, around 0:35 when the band kicks in. Anybody else here that?
migdd

Post by migdd »

Yes, that feeling is surely there. Really nice EC vocal and the band sounds mighty fine. I still have a couple of the original Clover vinyl releases and am looking forward to the new album.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Alex Call posted today on Facebook - We are gathering this weekend to hear the COMPLETED CLOVER ALBUM! Details of its release to follow !
emotional_fascism076

Re: Elvis guesting on Clover reunion album , 2017

Post by emotional_fascism076 »

I like the Mr moon clip. I'm hoping this will be released soon.
Who on earth is tapping at the window?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.billboard.com/amp/articles/n ... al-project

(extract)

The Doobie Brothers have begun work on their next album, but the group's John McFee has also reached back into his way-back past for another project.

McFee was a member of Clover, the San Francisco Bay Area band best known as Elvis Costello's backing band on his 1977 debut album My Aim Is True and as the launch pad for Huey Lewis & the News. The group released a pair of studio albums before breaking up in 1978, but now McFee is re-recording songs from both sets with help from original members Lewis, keyboardist Sean Hopper, Alex Call and drummer Mitch Howie, as well as Costello.

"It's cool for me. It's something I've always wanted to do," multi-instrumentalist McFee tells Billboard. "We had done two albums for the Fantasy label that we were never happy with because we were too young to really know how to make records, and Fantasy assigned a producer to work with us who was a brilliant guy and a nice person and fun to work with but had never produced a record before. We felt like we had some good songs, some good ideas, but we weren't happy with the records. So this is a chance to do it again."

McFee has selected 12 songs from the two albums, while Costello will sing on a bonus version of Call's "Mister Moon" for which McFee wrote and performed a string quartet arrangement. Original Clover drummer John Ciambotti passed away, but his daughter Gia Ciambotti -- who's worked with Bruce Springsteen, Lucinda Williams, Chicago and the Graces -- appears on the album, along with drummer Pete Thomas from Costello's Attractions and Imposters bands.

"If I do say so myself, it's going to be a really great project," says McFee. No release date has been set yet, but McFee is hoping the "Clover family" will get together for some live shows once it's out. "We've been talking about it," he confirms, adding that guitarist John Jorgenson has volunteered to be part of any dates as well. "It's a matter of me actually finishing this thing; it's really basically done, but I've got to get the packaging ready and finalize everything, so maybe some time a little later this year on a Doobies break we can do some shows."
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Has this Clover album been released yet, or is there a date for it to be released? All seems to have gone quiet since the summer.

MOOT
jardine

Post by jardine »

missed this when it was first posted. have to say that he sounds clear and young and strong on this...and i love the strings!!! and yep, i heard a bit of MAIT era as well...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Mitch Howie, drummer with Clover, told, in December '17, a poster to a fan page on Facebook for Clover that this project is 'a work in progress'.
jardine

Post by jardine »

listening again, the strings sound a bit like something from the julliet letters???
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Alex Call shared on Facebook a photo of the packaging for this, no release date mentioned
emotional_fascism076

Re: Elvis guesting on Clover reunion album , 2018

Post by emotional_fascism076 »

Nice find
Who on earth is tapping at the window?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

That wouldn't open on my 'phone- I guess it's the same as this