Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis Solo, Wiener Konzerthaus, 31 October 2011

Post by Man out of Time »

Another solo date on the European tour. From http://konzerthaus.at/programm/

"Elvis Costello «Solo»
Montag, 31. Oktober 2011, 20:00 Uhr Großer Saal

Veranstalterinformation

Elvis Costello - das ist der Künstlername des autodidaktischen Songwriters Declan MacManus. Er stand 1969 das erste Mal auf einer öffentlichen Bühne und begann 1977 seine Karriere, als er sein erstes Album «My Aim Is True» einspielte. Seit diesem Zeitpunkt hat er mehr als ein Dutzend Alben aufgenommen - als Solo-Künstler und zusammen mit seiner Band «The Attractions».

Costello hat mit vielen anderen Künstlern und Künstlerinnen gearbeitet - darunter so illustre Namen wie Sam Moore, Bob Dylan, The Jazz Passengers, Neil Young. Als Gast-Sänger war er auf The Fairfield Four's «Couldn't Hear Nobody Pray»-Album mit der McCartney/Costello-Komposition «That Day Is Done» zu hören - das Album wurde 1997 mit dem Grammy-Award ausgezeichnet. Elvis Costello ist auch auf Tribute-Alben zu hören (u. a. für Joni Mitchell und Gram Parsons) und arbeitete mit dem Produzenten T-Bone Burnett an der Costello/O'Riordan-Komposition «My Mood Swings» für den Film der Coen Brothers «The Big Lebowski» zusammen.
Während seiner langen Karriere hat Elvis Costello viele angesehene Auszeichnungen erhalten - darunter zwei «Q Magazine»-Awards, zwei Ivor Novello-Awards, den begehrten Nordoff-Robbins Silver Clef-Award und einen Grammy für seine Zusammenarbeit mit Burt Bacharach. 2003 erfolgte die Aufnahme in die Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Und dieses Jahr ist Elvis Costello endlich wieder auf Tour, mit seinem aktuellem Album «National Ransom», das er solo präsentieren wird.

MOOT
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis Solo, Wiener Konzerthaus, 31 October 2011

Post by johnfoyle »

So , any one here going ?!?!

Preview -

http://www.frock-and-roll.com/2011/elvis-costello-wien/
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

The only detail I found on Twitter is that he played "Almost Blue" on piano.

The same user posted this photo.

docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

WTF? It's 11:39 pm in Vienna and still no setlist?!

Outrageous and egregious, I say.
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

Heheh. Wiener.
joseph pennington

Post by joseph pennington »

1. Bullets for the New-Born King
2. Accidents Will Happen
3. Either Side of the Same Town
4. Home is Anywhere You Hang Your Head
5. Veronica
6. Good Year for the Roses
7. New Amsterdam/Hide Your Love Away
8. Every Day I Write the Book
9. Bedlam
10. All or Nothing At All
11. Radio Silence
12. She
13. Watching the detectives
14. Radio Sweetheart/Jackie Wilson Said
15. God's Comic
16. Alison/Wind Cries Mary/Somewhere Over the Rainbow/Somewhere

Encore 1

17. Slow Drag With Josephine
18. Jimmie Standing in the Rain/Brother Can You Spare a Dime?
19. A Voice in The Dark
20. Don't Bother Me/It Don't Bother Me
21. I Want You

Encore 2

22. Almost Blue
23. My Funny Valentine
24. National Ransom
25. Shipbuilding
26. What's So Funny 'Bout Peace Love and Understanding
27. All These Strangers
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Thank you for that and welcome to the forum. Are you going to Istanbul again?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

EXCELLENT first post...we LOVE setlist putter-eppers! GO TO MORE SHOWS!!! nice to see Home is Anywhere & R. Silence get aired out!
joseph pennington

Thanks! Sadly, I'll miss the Istanbul show this time around, but will catch him here in Prague on Friday. Vienna was fabulous. Home is Anywhere...was terrific, and a great surprise. But the highlight for me was actually All These Strangers -- didn't realize what an incredible song that is until I heard it live.
parola

Post by parola »

original setlist from vienna...a little different from the setlist of performed songs.
Anyway...great Show!
Attachments
setlist_costello_vienna (Small).jpeg
setlist_costello_vienna (Small).jpeg (33.52 KiB) Viewed 16004 times
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

joseph pennington wrote:But the highlight for me was actually All These Strangers -- didn't realize what an incredible song that is until I heard it live.
Love that feeling, and now you'll appreciate the recording in a way you never could have had you not heard it live. So much more exciting than 'just hearing the record live' when the songs take on a new life live, maybe the life the recording failed to quite capture.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
joseph pennington

Exactly -- in fact, I've been playing the song on the record all day, hearing it in that different way...
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

parola wrote:original setlist from vienna...a little different from the setlist of performed songs.
Anyway...great Show!
Thanks for posting the stage setlist.

Interesting to see rarities like "Suffering Face" and "After The Fall" were options. Hopefully they'll turn up soon.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Glad you enjoyed 'All These Strangers' - it's an incredible song from an amazing album.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://kurier.at/kultur/4311287.php

Elvis Costello: Sechs Gitarren und ein Hut

Kritik: Der britische Singer/Songwriter Elvis Costello begeisterte mit einer Solo-Performance im Wiener Konzerthaus.

Im Lauf seiner über 35-jährigen Karriere hatte Elvis Costello sprichwörtlich viele Hüte auf: Er verkörperte die Rolle des wilden Rockers, des Jazzsängers, des Entertainers. Bei seinem bejubelten Solo-Konzert im Wiener Konzerthaus am Montag behielt der 57-Jährige zweieinhalb Stunden lang den selben Hut auf - und doch schaffte er es mühelos, die vielen Facetten seines Schaffens mit Leben zu erfüllen.

Eine Band hatte Costello schon deshalb nicht nötig, weil seine markante Stimme mit ihrem Farbenreichtum allein in der Lage ist, die Richtung vorzugeben: Es reicht ein wenig mehr Druck hier, ein Seufzer dort, um von opernhafter Breite auf rockistische Aggression oder samtiges Jazz-Flair zu wechseln.

Sechs Gitarren, ein Hut und die Wahrheit

Costello kombinierte dieses Talent mit einer klugen Abfolge von Songs und der Fähigkeit, auf seinen Gitarren (insgesamt sechs an der Zahl) entscheidende Akzente zu setzen: Selbst bei rockigem Material wie "Watching The Detectives" wirkte der Sänger mit seinen Rockstar-Gesten nicht verloren, bei "Every Day I Write the Book" oder "A Good Year For The Roses" beeindruckte er mit sensiblem Timing.

Als Costello dann das Mikro beiseite stellte und unverstärkt einige Titel im Ragtime-Feeling zum besten gab ("A Slow Drag With Josephine"), hatte er das Publikum in der Hand. Wie sehr der Sänger in Musik denkt und fühlt, zeigte sich auch bei spontanen Erweiterungen seiner Songs: Von "New Amsterdam" ging es flugs in den Beatles-Song "You've got to hide your love away" und zurück. Später, als Costello die Gitarren gegen den Bösendorfer-Flügel getauscht hatte, wanderte er von seiner Ballade "Almost Blue" in den Jazz-Standard "My Funny Valentine". Es war wohl eine Hommage an den Trompeter und Sänger Chet Baker, der beide Titel unvergesslich interpretiert hatte - und ein Zeichen, dass Costello zweifellos neben solchen Legenden stehen kann.

KURIER-Wertung ***** von *****

Google translation:

Elvis Costello: six guitars and a hat

Criticism: The British singer / songwriter Elvis Costello enthusiasts with a solo performance at the Vienna Konzerthaus.

During his over 35-year career, Elvis Costello had literally many hats: He played the role of wild rockers, jazz singer, the entertainer. In his acclaimed solo concert at the Vienna Concert House on Monday the 57-year-old kept two and a half hours on the same hat - but he made it easy to meet the many facets of his work to life.

A band had therefore not Costello necessary because his distinctive voice, with its richness of color alone able to dictate the direction: it stretches a little more pressure here, a sigh there, in order of operatic width Rockist aggression or velvety jazz flair to change.

Six guitars, a hat and the truth

Costello combined this talent with a clever sequence of songs and the ability to sit on his guitar (six in number) decisive accents: even when rocking material like "Watching The Detectives", the singer worked with his rock-star gestures are not lost at "Every Day I Write the Book" or "A Good Year For The Roses", he impressed with sensitive timing.

As Costello then turned the microphone aside and unreinforced some titles in the ragtime-feeling was the best ("A Slow Drag With Josephine"), he had the audience in his hand. How much the singer is thinking and feeling in music, was also in spontaneous extensions of his songs from "New Amsterdam" it went at once in the Beatles song "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" and back. Later, when Costello had swapped the guitar against the Bosendorfer grand piano, he wandered from his ballad "Almost Blue" in the jazz standard "My Funny Valentine". It was probably a tribute to the trumpeter and singer Chet Baker, who had interpreted both championships memorable - and a sign that Costello can certainly stand alongside such legends.

COURIER Rating ***** by *****

-------------------------------------------------------------------

http://diepresse.com/home/kultur/popco/ ... r/index.do

Costello-Solo: Weises Vergnügen

01.11.2011 | 18:10 | SAMIR H. KÖCK (Die Presse)

Wiener Konzerthaus: Elvis Costello wechselte zwischen fünf Gitarren und überzeugte mit Humor, Spielwitz und wunderbar geölter Stimme.

Wenn die alten Fans den so solide gereiften Helden ihrer Jugend wiedersehen, mag wohl deren Gehirn am liebsten kurz aussetzen, den Anblick dieses vermeintlichen Südstaaten-Gentleman im dreiteiligen Anzug ausblenden und ihm eine neue Bedeutung geben. Aber nein, unter diesem breitkrempigen Hut war letztlich doch jener Elvis Costello zu erkennen, der einst die britische New Wave aufgemischt hatte.

Gesetzt ist er immer noch nicht, aber man merkt, dass er sich seiner Fähigkeiten zu jeder Sekunde voll bewusst ist. Solo ist er diesmal gekommen. Um sein Publikum ein wenig mit musikalischen Unorthodoxien zu necken und sich dabei selbst zu unterhalten. Die Opener „Bullets For The New-Born King“ und „Accidents Will Happen“ gerieten noch arg unauffällig. Aber schon beim dritten Song, der erhabenen Ballade „Either Side Of The Same Town“, geriet Costello in jene Glut, die Stimme und Gitarrenton höchst delikat zusammenschmelzen ließen.

Alter Traum des freihändig Gitarrespielens

Auch „Home Is Anywhere You Hang Your Head“, diese schöne Geschichte eines unglücklichen Verliebten namens Mr. Misery, war von erfüllender Intensität. Mit viel Gusto stapfte Costello durch die eigene Historie, behandelte Klassiker genauso unprätentiös wie die ganz frischen Songs. „Watching The Detectives“ lärmte er mit zugespielten Rhythmen zu. Ein raues Riff war zu hören, während Costello beide Arme weit von sich streckte. Der alte Traum des freihändigen Gitarrespielens: So nah war er selten. Der reife Costello versuchte sich doch an dieser Stelle tatsächlich an Realtime Loopings. Die daraus resultierenden räudigen Grooves ornamentierte er mit glühenden Gitarrensoli. „I'd like to introduce my special guest this evening: It's me“, scherzte er, als er wieder einmal zu einer anderen der fünf bereitgestellten Gitarren eilte. Was leicht monoton hätte werden können, wurde durch Costellos überbordende Musikalität zu einem einzigen Vergnügen. Aus dem einst reduziert werkenden Rebellen mit dem Buchhaltergesicht ist längst ein mondäner Traditionalist geworden. Das zeigte sich an diesem Abend an der Nonchalance, mit der er Lieder anderer einbaute. Die schöne Beatles-Schnulze „You've Got To Hide Your Love Away“ integrierte er ins eigene „New Amsterdam“. Auch die anderen Covers von Charles Aznavours „She“, über den Jazzstandard „All Or Nothing At All“ bis hin zu Brinsley Schwarz' Pubrock-Klassiker „(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding“ entbot er anstrengungslos inmitten von Eigenem.

Neben den üblichen Verdächtigen wie dem am Flügel zelebrierten „Shipbuilding“ und den beiden wunderschön vokal verzitterten Balladen „Everyday I Write the Book“ und „Almost Blue“ begeisterten vor allem die neuesten Lieder. Einerseits das ruppige „National Ransome“, aber auch zärtliche, nostalgisch eingefärbte Etüden wie „A Voice In The Dark“ und „Jimmie Standing In The Rain“. Gern will man glauben, dass sich diese schöne Mischung aus Liebe, Schönheit und Weisheit aus dem Ehebett entfaltet hat. Grund genug dafür, dass Ron Sexsmith, wie Costello schalkhaft bekannte, nur sein zweitliebster Mensch in Kanada ist.

("Die Presse", Print-Ausgabe, 02.11.2011)

Google translation

Costello Solo: Sage pleasure

01.11.2011 | 18:10 | SAMIR H. KÖCK (The Press)

Wiener Konzerthaus: Elvis Costello moved between five guitars and convinced with humor, wit and wonderful voice oiled.

If the old fans back to see the heroes of their youth as solid mature, their brain may well prefer to expose briefly hide the sight of this supposed Southern gentleman in three-piece suit and give it new meaning. But no, in this wide-brimmed hat was ultimately seen yet that Elvis Costello, who was roughed up once the British New Wave.

Assuming he's still not, but you can tell that he is fully aware of his abilities at any second. He is solo this time came. In order to tease his audience with a little musical Unorthodoxien and thereby to entertain yourself. The opener "Bullets For The New Born King" and "Accidents Will Happen" fell still sorely inconspicuous. But the third song, the sublime ballad "Either Side Of The Same Town," Costello got into those embers, the voice and guitar were melted together very delicate.

Old dream of playing guitar freehand

Also, "Home Is Anywhere You Hang Your Head", this lovely story of an unhappy lover was named Mr. Misery, by fulfilling intensity. With much gusto Costello stumped by its own history, classics treated as unpretentious as the freshest songs. "Watching the Detectives" he blustered with leaked rhythms. A raw riff was heard, while Costello both arms stretched far away. The old dream of the mutual guitar playing: so close it was rare. The mature Costello tried but at this point actually of real-time loops. The resulting grooves mangy he ornamented with fiery guitar solos. "I'd like to introduce my special guest this evening: It's me," he joked, as he hurried again to another of the five guitars provided. What could easily have been monotonous, by Costello's exuberant musicality into a single pleasure. From the factory the rebels is reduced once the accountants face long become a fashionable traditionalist. This was evident this evening at the nonchalance with which he incorporates other songs. The beautiful Beatles-schmaltzy "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away", he integrated into his own "New Amsterdam". The other covers of Charles Aznavour's "She", the jazz standard "All Or Nothing At All" to Brinsley Schwarz 'pub rock classic "(What's So Funny' Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding", he summoned effortlessly midst of one's own .

Besides the usual suspects like the wings on the celebrated "Shipbuilding" and the two beautiful vocal shaky ballad "Everyday I Write the Book" and "Almost Blue" enthusiastic, especially the newest songs. On the one hand, the rough "National Ransome," but also affectionate, nostalgia-colored Etudes as "A Voice In The Dark" and "Jimmie Standing In The Rain". Gladly will we believe that this beautiful blend of love, beauty and wisdom has unfolded from the marriage bed. Reason enough that Ron Sexsmith, known as Costello mischievously, only his second favorite person in Canada.

("Die Presse", print edition, 11/02/2011)

-------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.kleinezeitung.at/nachrichten ... haus.story

Elvis Costello brilliert im Wiener Konzerthaus

Ein Solo-Abend mit dem britischen Musiker Elvis Costello stand gestern, Montagabend, im Großen Saal im Wiener Konzerthaus auf dem Programm. Viel Vorab-Applaus und doch einige freie Plätze waren das Setting für ein mehr als zweistündiges Konzert, das der 57-Jährige mit einer Akustikgitarre und dem Song "Bullets For The New Born King" eröffnete.

Ein Song aus seinem im Vorjahr erschienenen letzten Studioalbum "National Ransom" (Universal). "Oh, I'm so sorry for the Things I've Done" hieß es da unter anderem. Sein gestriges Konzert war hingegen kein Grund zur Reue. Es zeigte einen soliden Musiker, der sein Können temperiert einzusetzen wusste.

Costello ging nicht in die Vollen, sondern startete sanft in den Abend und nahm sich erst im fünften Song beherzt interpretiertes "Veronica" vor. Ein Song, den er zusammen mit Ex-Beatle Paul McCartney schrieb und der auch schon mehr als zwanzig Jahre alt ist. Doch seine gestrige Setlist vereinte eine gute Auswahl aus immerhin mehr als drei Jahrzehnten Karriere und insgesamt 32 Studioalben. Viele dramatische Liebes-Balladen gab es vom im hellen Anzug und Hut erschienenen Musiker, der dabei einen seiner Trümpfe, nämlich seine schmachtende, melancholische Stimme, gekonnt ausspielen konnte.

Die Beatles zitierte Costello kurz mit dem Song "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away", lud das männliche Publikum bei einem Song mit der Aufforderung "sein inneres Showgirl rauszulassen" dazu ein, den Background-Chor zu komplettieren und hatte auch die eine oder andere Anekdote auf Lager. Zum Beispiel als er "Everyday I Write The Book" mit den Worten "nun werde ich einen Song spielen, den ich wirklich hasse" ankündigte und erklärte, dass ihn erst Kollege Ron Sexsmith diesen Song wirklich zu singen gelehrt habe.

Google translation:
Elvis Costello shines in the Vienna Konzerthaus

A solo concert with the British musician Elvis Costello was yesterday, Monday evening, the Great Hall in Vienna's Konzerthaus on the program. Pre-and much applause but few places were the setting for more than two-hour concert, which opened the 57-year-old with an acoustic guitar and the song "Bullets For The New Born King."

A song from his last studio album released last year, "National Ransom" (Universal). "Oh, I'm so sorry for the Things I've Done" as it was called, among other things. His concert yesterday was however no cause for regret. It showed a solid musician who knew to use his skills tempered.

Costello went into the full, but gently started in the evening and took until the fifth song boldly interpreted "Veronica" in front. A song he wrote with ex-Beatle Paul McCartney and is already more than twenty years old also. But yesterday's setlist together a good selection of at least more than three decades, and career total of 32 studio albums. Were many dramatic love ballads from it in the light suit and hat, published musician, while one of its trump cards, namely his languid, melancholy voice, could play skillfully.

The Beatles Costello quoted briefly with the song "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away", the male audience, invited to a song with the request, "let out his inner showgirl" a help to complete the background choir and also had a anecdote or other stock. For example, when he "Everyday I Write the Book" with the words "Now I'm going to play a song that I really hate" announced and explained that it only colleague Ron Sexsmith taught this song to sing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.vienna.at/elvis-costello-beg ... us/3071611

Elvis Costello begeisterte im Wiener Konzerthaus

Elvis Costello ernete Beifall im Wiener Konzerthaus.

Wohlverdienten Applaus heimste der britische Musiker Elvis Costello am Montag Abend bei seinem Solo-Auftritt im Großen Saal des Konzerthauses in Wien ein.

Elvis Costello ging nicht in die Vollen, sondern startete sanft in den Abend und nahm sich erst im fünften Song beherzt interpretiertes “Veronica” vor. Ein Song, den er zusammen mit Ex-Beatle Paul McCartney schrieb und der auch schon mehr als zwanzig Jahre alt ist. Doch seine gestrige Setlist vereinte eine gute Auswahl aus immerhin mehr als drei Jahrzehnten Karriere und insgesamt 32 Studioalben.

Viele dramatische Liebes-Balladen gab es vom im hellen Anzug und Hut erschienenen Musiker, der dabei einen seiner Trümpfe, nämlich seine schmachtende, melancholische Stimme, gekonnt ausspielen konnte.Die Beatles zitierte Costello kurz mit dem Song “You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away”, lud das männliche Publikum bei einem Song mit der Aufforderung “sein inneres Showgirl rauszulassen” dazu ein, den Background-Chor zu komplettieren und hatte auch die eine oder andere Anekdote auf Lager.

Zum Beispiel als er “Everyday I Write The Book” mit den Worten “nun werde ich einen Song spielen, den ich wirklich hasse” ankündigte und erklärte, dass ihn erst Kollege Ron Sexsmith diesen Song wirklich zu singen gelehrt habe. Wobei er Sexsmith auch als den zweitbesten kanadischen Musiker bezeichnete.

Eine Gitarre reicht nicht für Elvis Costello

Mit vier Gitarren ausgestattet ließ es Costello nach einer Stunde dann einmal ordentlich krachen, als er bei “Watching The Detectives” den Verzerrer jaulen ließ und eine sehr rohe Version des ersten Songs, den er mit seiner Backing-Band The Attractions 1977 veröffentlichte, dem beeindruckten Publikum präsentierte. Ein lustige Phase sollte mit “Radio Sweetheart” beginnen, wo er das Publikum erneut zum Mitsingen animierte. Es wurde ihm auch leicht gemacht, schließlich mussten in dem von Costello als “Halloween-Song” bezeichneten Stück nur die Worte “Scared” und “Dead” wiederholt werden.

Ja, auch dafür war Platz, wenn wohl die elegische Komponente wohl den größeren Anteil ausmachte. So folgte ein sehr intensives “Don’t Bother Me” – erneut Beatles – als Kontrast und ein “I Want you”, an dem die E-Gitarre wieder einer ihren seltenen Einsätze hatte. Dieser Song geriet zu einem wahrlich emotionalen Ausbruch – und zum letzten Song vor der Zugabe. Erstmals am Flügel begann diese sanft mit “Almost Blue” – wurde laut, inklusive Megafon und dem aktuellen Song “National Ransom”.

Der gelungene Abend ging mit “Shipbuilding” und “Peace, Love and Understanding” versöhnlich ins Finale und endete dann, wie er begann: sanft an der Akustikgitarre. Elvis Costello machte es gut und gab gestern nicht nur den introvertierten Interpreten, sondern an den richtigen Stellen auch den extrovertierteren Entertainer. Für kommendes Jahr kündigte er am Ende noch eine neue Tour (diesmal mit Band) an.

Google translation:

Elvis Costello thrilled at the Vienna Konzerthaus

Elvis Costello Ernets applause at the Vienna Konzerthaus.

Well deserved applause reaped by the British musician Elvis Costello on Monday evening at his solo gig at the Great Hall of the Konzerthaus in Vienna.

Elvis Costello did not go into the full, but gently started in the evening and took until the fifth song boldly interpreted "Veronica" in front. A song he wrote with ex-Beatle Paul McCartney and is already more than twenty years old also. But yesterday's setlist together a good selection of at least more than three decades, and career total of 32 studio albums.

Were many dramatic love ballads from it in the light suit and hat, published musician who konnte.Die this play one of his trump cards, namely his languid, melancholy voice, skillfully Costello quoted briefly with the Beatles song "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, "invited the male audience in a song with the request," let out his inner showgirl "a help to complete the background choir and also had one or another anecdote in stock.

For example, when he "Everyday I Write the Book" with the words "Now I'm going to play a song that I really hate" announced and explained that it only colleague Ron Sexsmith taught this song to sing. While he called Sexsmith as the second best Canadian musicians.

A guitar is not enough for Elvis Costello

Equipped with four guitars there Costello left after an hour and then once crack properly, when he played for "Watching the Detectives" was whining the distortion and a very rough version of the first song he and his backing band released The Attractions in 1977, the impressed audience presented. A funny phase should begin with "Radio Sweetheart", where he re-animated the audience to sing along. He was also made easy, eventually had to be repeated by Costello as "Halloween Song" designated plot only the words "Scared" and "Dead" in the.

Yes, this place was, well if the elegiac component probably accounted for the larger share. It followed a very intense "Do not Bother Me" - The Beatles again - as a contrast and an "I Want You", where the electric guitar again had one of her rare inserts. This song became a truly emotional outburst - and the last song before the encore. First time on this wing began gently with "Almost Blue" - was loud, megaphone, including the current song "National Ransom."

The evening was successful with "Shipbuilding" and "Peace, Love and Understanding" conciliatory to the finals and then ended as it began: in the gentle acoustic guitar. Elvis Costello did it well, and yesterday was not only the introverted artist, but in the right places and the extroverted entertainer. For next year, he announced at the end or a new tour (this time with the band).
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Radio Sweetheart / Jackie Wilson Said: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8ouqvKj9t0
A Slow Drag With Josephine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfcqgi1WF8w
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

A late review by Richard Rees Jones:

Short Cuts 7: Elvis Costello, Carla Bozulich, Oliver Welter
A final round-up of shows towards the end of last year which I never got around to writing full reviews of at the time.

Elvis Costello, Vienna Konzerthaus, 31 October 2011

Here was an oddity – an out-of-the-(almost)-blue solo concert by Elvis Costello in what is, after the Staatsoper and the Musikverein, the poshest venue in Vienna, and the only one of the three that hosts regular non-classical gigs. Costello is a singer-songwriter I’ve never quite got to grips with. Maybe I thought that seeing him in solo mode would expose some kind of truth at the heart of his songs, but it never really happened. I’m no authority on his music and I only recognized about half the songs; the one I’ve always loved the most, “Oliver’s Army”, was frustratingly notable by its absence. The anguished “Shipbuilding”, “I Want You” (still one of the most frighteningly psychotic love songs ever written) and the inspired medley of “New Amsterdam/You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away” were all massively impressive, but there were also too many songs overstuffed with words and lacking in winning tunes.

http://viennesewaltz.wordpress.com/2012 ... ortcuts-7/

Proving that there is no pleasing all of the people, all of the time. Oliver's Army "frustratingly notable by its absence"?

MOOT
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »