Income from Touring

Pretty self-explanatory
RonDoc

Income from Touring

Post by RonDoc »

Can anyone calculate what kind of money Elvis can secure from his touring schedule ?

Obviously having a major sponsor helps, but i'm interested in the actual takings from ticket sales / merchandise etc.

Bit bored tonight so thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Ron.
Jeremy Dylan

Re: Income from Touring

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Impossible to determine without knowing the deals he has with the promoters.
Hawksmoor

Re: Income from Touring

Post by Hawksmoor »

I have no idea really, and couldn't begin to suggest any actual figures, but I do have a personal theory that most artists these days make a hell of a lot more from playing live than (a) they used to and (b) they make from recording music. Back in the good old days when I was a lad and it was all fields round here and all that, concert tickets were cheap compared to record prices. I have ticket stubs from c1979-1982 when I was seeing big(ish) name bands like The Specials and Dexy's for £2:50 or £3:00, which even then wasn't a lot of money. It was about half the price of an LP, in fact, and it would be difficult to imagine getting a concert ticket for a 'name' artist for half the price of a CD now.

My hunch would be that in those days you really could make a lot of money (make yourself a millionaire in some cases) by selling records, so the concert was really an extended bit of promo for the record - you played my town on Friday night, not especially trying to make money from the gig, but in the hope that I'd then go and buy your record on the Monday.

These days of course, for all the well-rehearsed reasons, it's a lot more difficult to make any serious money from selling records/CDs, so concert-ticket prices have rocketed because that's where you make a living now. What do you think?