"Goodbye Cruel World" Redux

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Re: "Goodbye Cruel World" Redux

Post by bronxapostle »

doc...you do have the BETTER recording from the following night at AVERY FISHER HALL, yes????
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Out of NOWHERE, I listened to the acoustic demo of The Comedians tonight about 30 times.

I've never been afraid of heights, but Elvis Costello amazingly lays out this imagery of my life's ill-defined (and probably unwarranted) fears.

Just crushing and amazing. A perfect song.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
Kevin Davis

Post by Kevin Davis »

Do you mean the demo on the "All This Useless Beauty" bonus disc?

If so, I couldn't agree more. That was actually one of an elite few recordings responsible for me becoming a Costello nut.
KD's music blog
KD's book
redsfan720

Post by redsfan720 »

docinwestchester wrote:
redsfan720 wrote: I consider Armed Forces to be one of my favorite all-time albums, yet I don't have a taste for one of its songs. That's OK.
Let me guess...Goon Squad?
Nope. Love that one, and more than most I've talked to. Chemistry Class is the one.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Kevin Davis wrote:Do you mean the demo on the "All This Useless Beauty" bonus disc?

If so, I couldn't agree more. That was actually one of an elite few recordings responsible for me becoming a Costello nut.

I believe I have it on the Goodbye Cruel World Rhino bonus disc. Is it the same version?
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:doc...you do have the BETTER recording from the following night at AVERY FISHER HALL, yes????
Yes, I have TaperAdvocat's recording, which sounds excellent.

Torrent history:
- first posted on EZT in January 2005 by TaperAdvocat.
- reposted in April 2009 by john234
- reposted with artwork in October 2011

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 1984-04-15
Kevin Davis

Post by Kevin Davis »

LessThanZero wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:Do you mean the demo on the "All This Useless Beauty" bonus disc?

I believe I have it on the Goodbye Cruel World Rhino bonus disc. Is it the same version?
Listened this weekend, it does appear that there are two versions. I'd say if you like the GCW one, check out the ATUB one--I think it's sharper and even more heartrending.

I maintain that the problem with both Punch the Clock and Goodbye Cruel World is spatial overkill. Elvis was overwriting lyrically on a lot of meandering, complex-but-not-entirely-musically-gripping melodies that were going to be hard to sell anyway, and that Clanger-Winstanley production approach just completely buried any chance they had. I actually think Punch the Clock got it worse production-wise, but its better songs were a lot stronger. There's a solid B+ record waiting to be found in a program highlighting the best of both collections.
KD's music blog
KD's book