Elvis doing corporate gig, NY, Dec. 16 '10

Pretty self-explanatory
sabreman

Re: Elvis doing corporate gig, NY, Dec. 16 '10

Post by sabreman »

Top balcony wrote: That cod-cockney was part of the act, just like his hats are now, Scouse is his native tongue.

Colin Top Balcony
Have to disagree about the hats. It is not just a performance thing. EC is likes to buy and wear hats. I have the same problem.
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

If it is indeed a 'corporate' event for bankers, think about it this way: you've just put out an album critically informed by the mendacity of these parasitic greedbags. Then they offer you a lot of money to come and play songs attacking them for two hours.

Sounds like a no brainer to me. :lol:
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

PD- when you give it a 'twist' like that it almost becomes livable and laughably 'ironic' for me. Still if my choice, would not be there for all of Crassus's gold. But that is just me.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Food for thought from EC's 'interview' leading up to the release of National Ransom:

OWH: A wolf, perhaps the one from the cover, appears in the opening song and the closing song of "National Ransom". Is this the same wolf? Is he somehow the master of ceremonies? Are these two songs more linked than we might imagine?

EC: Well, the two songs are set in different times but "A Voice In The Dark" surely being sung in the wake of the same catastrophe that has been repeated in "National Ransom".

Someone has run off with all the money; people are losing their homes; whole towns are being shuttered.

The wolf in "National Ransom" - and perhaps that one in the cover illustration - might have been a goat. A scapegoat.

We are always looking for someone to blame for our misfortunes and in this case we may have found the culprit.

Look at his mug shot. He's carrying a big bag of burning money. You can probably imagine how useful burning money can be.

Then again, the wolf I have in mind is within us all. We are all complicit, if not accountable, desiring things that are beyond our means, handing power over us all to the wolves at the door.
monkey2man

Post by monkey2man »

does anybody have an extra?? i'll pay!! can't make it out to the chi show, but i live in nyc, so this would kinda make up for it. does anyone at least know where it is yet? halp!!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

" There were a few good quotes though. "I've gone through the door and can do whatever the fuck I want," he said one point. And, "I play for those who are listening." " - recent interview

hmmm... if you can pay to keep the riff raff out, Elvis will come to you and play for you. No big deal. Elvis doesn't mind a bit of elitism... No surprise.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Jesus Christ guys, he's doing one gig sponsored by the credit card company owned by a bank. He hasn't joined the Hitler youth. Can we try and keep some fucking perspective here?
jardine

Post by jardine »

maybe rachel can help?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

How I've enjoyed your posts Jardine - you've made me laugh out loud twice already, you're very welcome !
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Jeremy Dylan wrote:Jesus Christ guys, he's doing one gig sponsored by the credit card company owned by a bank. He hasn't joined the Hitler youth. Can we try and keep some fucking perspective here?
Thank you and Amen to that!
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

and where is the fricking show??? did NONE of us get a ticket?
:( :( :(
hey sulky...did Weller land?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Jeremy Dylan wrote:Jesus Christ guys, he's doing one gig sponsored by the credit card company owned by a bank. He hasn't joined the Hitler youth. Can we try and keep some fucking perspective here?
If it's not a big deal then you calm down, dude. :idea:
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Peace on/off earth to all/let's enjoy what we have.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
monkey2man

Post by monkey2man »

so, for those of you who care about the show and not the politics of it, here's the deal. I was lucky enough to be given a hint of where the show was tonight, i followed my instincts and ended up sneaking into one of the greatest 7 song sets of all time! The setlist was as follows:

1. Red Shoes
2. Veronica
3. Everyday I Write the Book (newer arrangement)
--
Interview With Matt Pinfield (a good one!)
--
4. Slow Drag With Josephine
5. Watching the Detectives
6. Green Shirt (thanks to a heckler!)
7. Peace, Love and Understanding

It was a night like tonight that I feel especially blessed to live in NYC and be an Elvis fan. So much fun!!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

monkey2man wrote:so, for those of you who care about the show and not the politics of it, here's the deal. I was lucky enough to be given a hint of where the show was tonight, i followed my instincts and ended up sneaking into one of the greatest 7 song sets of all time! The setlist was as follows:

1. Red Shoes
2. Veronica
3. Everyday I Write the Book (newer arrangement)
--
Interview With Matt Pinfield (a good one!)
--
4. Slow Drag With Josephine
5. Watching the Detectives
6. Green Shirt (thanks to a heckler!)
7. Peace, Love and Understanding

It was a night like tonight that I feel especially blessed to live in NYC and be an Elvis fan. So much fun!!
Any mention of future broadcast/webcast? Matt Pinfield has the morning radio show on 101.9 in NYC - maybe they'll play it?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Thanks, monkey2man. So where was it? (It's not a secret anymore, right?)
toddamo

Post by toddamo »

I have a Citibank credit card (just a regular one, not a fat-cat gold one or anything),
so I get occasional emails about discount prices on tickets and events. I normally don't
even pay too much attention to them, but luckily read about this Elvis show. I immediately
wrote back and landed some tickets.

I came on this forum and read all the interesting discussion about the event.
I share many of your concerns about why artist's choose to play corporate
sponsored gigs. Many others have very eloquently examined some of the
tensions and contradictions involved.

While I still share some of those concerns, I wanted to tell you all that this
ended up being an absolutely wonderful event. The make up of the audience
was clearly overjoyed Elvis Costello fans. I've been to corporate events
as well as music industry events and this was clearly not those crowds.
These people were adoring EC fans.

There was a red carpet, open bar, very good hor d'oeuvres that seemed to
keep coming. People were really treated like royalty in there and you could
see the beaming smiles on everyone's faces. There was a great opening
act that played swing jazz/pop kind of stuff. And then the man came on...
and the crowd was hanging on his every note, word, expression, guitar phrase, etc.
It was a STUNNING performance. Then the interview segment happened...which
was a good interview but was very awkwardly placed. Elvis was KILLING on stage
and the interview interrupted that flow. I didn't want to be the boorish, drunken
one to say anything. But eventually, people did start expressing their displeasure
and you could tell that Elvis also wanted to get back into it.

He sure did and he was stunning and brilliant straight away. The voice, the phrasing,
the arrangements of the tunes and the working of dynamics were all sublime. He was able
to get so quiet at times and then be roaring the next moment. He played acoustic for
everything except some beautifully, noisy electric guitar on one song. (Watching the
Detectives, maybe?) He had the room in the palm of his hand.

I thoroughly enjoyed the open bar and I'm feeling it today. This was such a fun,
well organized, surprising night. I don't really understand how Citibank benefits from it,
but I'm sure there's something. They were filming all night...the people coming in, the
audience, the performance. Maybe there will be some sort of broadcast or release?

I feel very lucky and honored to have attended this show. It was a beautiful night for
myself and my fiance. I'd love to see EC do a whole solo acoustic tour in theaters as he
absolutely kills in that format.
http://toddamodeo.bandcamp.com
Press here for free music, love, stuff.
docinwestchester

toddamo wrote:They were filming all night...the people coming in, the
audience, the performance.
This is what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the report.
terryhurley

Post by terryhurley »

docinwestchester wrote:
toddamo wrote:They were filming all night...the people coming in, the
audience, the performance.
This is what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the report.

Ditto. Appreciate the report.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Thanks for the report. Now I know where my credit card interest payments go...

May I be the first to start an Elvis backlash at this gig for not playing Alison, Oliver's Army and Pump It Up...

And I would also like to diss all the people who enjoyed themselves with free food and drink. There are people starving in this world and you were out enjoying yourselves. Shame on each and every one of you :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

uhhhhh, may i ask, WHERE was the EVENT held??? and wait till i call CITIBANK asking where my invitaion went??? they'll be lowering my APR forTHIS affront!
monkey2man

Post by monkey2man »

bronxapostle wrote:uhhhhh, may i ask, WHERE was the EVENT held??? and wait till i call CITIBANK asking where my invitaion went??? they'll be lowering my APR forTHIS affront!
It was at a small space called SIR Stage37 on 37th St btwn 10th & 11th. They hold functions like coorporate events, fashion shows, etc.
monkey2man

Post by monkey2man »

BTW, I recorded the performance on my iPhone (audio only) and was wondering if anyone would like the MP3 so they can make it available for everyone else. However, there's two things wrong with it: 1, most of Red Shoes is missing. 2, some of the interview is missing (due to a bathroom break... i blame the free beer). Let me know what I should do.
docinwestchester

monkey2man wrote:BTW, I recorded the performance on my iPhone (audio only) and was wondering if anyone would like the MP3 so they can make it available for everyone else. However, there's two things wrong with it: 1, most of Red Shoes is missing. 2, some of the interview is missing (due to a bathroom break... i blame the free beer). Let me know what I should do.
Definitely need to hear Green Shirt ASAP - see my PM.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.cityscoopsny.com/?p=2978

Are New Wavers the new toasters?

Everyday I Write the Check
By John Marshall

A Special Engagement Featuring Elvis Costello

Complimentary Event

Open to Citi credit card and Citibank Mastercard customers only

SIR Stage37
http://www.stage37events.com/

New York City
December 16, 2010

You won’t take my love for tender
You can put your money where your mouth is
But you’re so unsure
I could be a miser or a big spender
But you might get much more than you bargained for

- “Love for Tender,” Get Happy!! (1980)

Everybody got more than they bargained for at this once-in-a-recession event featuring a solo concert by one of rock’s biggest iconoclasts, performed for an audience composed entirely of credit-card holders.

As someone who hasn’t had a credit card since Elvis released Spike in 1989, I went as a Citicard member’s guest, joining the only audience in history whose common denominators were “Less Than Zero” and 0% Intro APR.

The hip, cavernous space had a small stage, surrounded on three sides by seating for 500. Tables and couches lent the evening an intimate, downtown feel rather than an impersonal, corporate one. If this was a waste of bailout funds, it was the best I’ve seen.

Some on-line message boards lamented that EC was performing for a bank and wouldn’t “bite the hand that feeds me,” as he sang in 1978’s “Radio Radio.” However, it was hard to focus on any bites other than the ones everyone was taking out of the nonstop hors d’oeuvres. Plus, the food and drink, like Citibank’s Online Payment Program, were free.

For a bank-sponsored event, there was no hint of anything even vaguely financial-related. Although the excellent opening act, The Blue Vipers of Brooklyn, did mine classics from past economic eras (“Stardust” – the Depression, “Ragg Mopp” – post-WWII expansion).

http://thebluevipersofbrooklyn.com/

Money talks and it’s persuasive

- “Possession,” Get Happy!!

Nothing was more persuasive than Elvis when he took the stage promptly at 8 p.m., with nothing but an acoustic guitar. Wearing his usual suit and trademark hat, he quickly strode to the microphone and delivered the iconic opening line of “(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes”: “Oh I used to be disgusted / Now I try to be amused.”

The cardmembers went over their limit.

Citibank may own the economy, but EC owned the room. He spat out the song like it was 1977, but it didn’t feel nostalgic. It felt urgent and current. I last saw him 28 years ago at the Pier in the Dr. Pepper concerts. He was so angry he kicked over an amp. He didn’t kick over an amp now, but he still kicked it. In other words, his aim was still true.

Then he took it down a notch, if you can call doing a poignant, heartfelt “Veronica” taking it down. He said, “This next song is one I hate.” That got a big laugh. “I mean, I used to hate it until my friend Ron Sexsmith showed me how to sing it.” Then he did a simple yet moving rendition of “Everyday I Write the Book.” That was Part I.

Part II was the Interview Section, with DJ and MTV/VH-1 VJ Matt Pinfield.

Matt asked which musicians Elvis liked and he said how much he loved the Attractions and how thrilled he was to play with the drummer who played for Little Richard and The Flintstones and Mission Impossible themes.

They discussed EC’s collaborations with Paul McCartney, particularly “That Day Is Done,” about the death of Elvis’s grandmother. Elvis said Paul came up with the title phrase as well as how to craft it into a melody that everyone would sing. “I realized he was doing the same thing he did with ‘Let It Be.”

After some more exchanges, Matt left the stage and Part III began.

First, Elvis went into Blue Vipers territory with the upbeat, 1920’s-style “A Slow Drag with Josephine,” from this year’s National Ransom, the only new song he did and a real crowd-pleaser.

Then he picked up a massive, Bill Haley-style electric guitar and started strumming some extremely distorted, twanging, minor chords in a lilting reggae rhythm. At first I thought it was “Goon Squad” from Armed Forces but it turned out to be “Watching the Detectives.” More ominous than I’d ever heard it. Elvis seemed to be listening to it as much as playing it, as if he had never heard it before. Maybe in this form, he hadn’t.

There had been shouts all night for “Green Shirt.” I always loved the song but it struck me as an odd one to shout for. Nobody shouted for “Pump It Up” or “Accidents Will Happen.” Whether he meant to do it all along or was responding to the requests, that’s what he did next.

Like “Detective,” this was also mining a darker emotion. I couldn’t help but think that the lyrics now applied to Julian Assange: “I never said I was a stool pigeon / I never said I was a diplomat / Everybody is under suspicion / But you don’t want to hear about that.”

Then he picked up a different guitar and ripped into raucous, acoustic power chords. In the interview he had talked about “Peace, Love and Understanding” and how Nick Lowe had written it as a bit of a joke in the early 70’s – a slightly tongue-in-cheek peace-and-love number.

Elvis, who was always known for his clever wordplay and arch delivery, never saw the song that way and always did it completely straight. Which is how he did it now. Like a one-man Who, he shredded the guitar and tore the roof off the place, to the point where it would take the combined credit ratings of the entire audience to pay for a new one.

Then the event, like America’s days as a creditor nation, was over.

We were left thinking: what is so funny about peace, love and understanding? Or for that matter, Elvis, music and banking?