Dedicated National Ransack Thread

Pretty self-explanatory
when i was cruel

Dedicated National Ransack Thread

Post by when i was cruel »

Here it is, finally a thread for everyone to talk about the excellent pre-order EP :)
It's not the days when you leave me, but all I fear are the nights.
krm

Re: Dedicated National Ransack Thread

Post by krm »

ok - a dedicated question to all of us: Does a physical version of this exist? if not, what can the definition of EP be? "electronic purchase"?
when i was cruel

I managed to get a physical copy :) but umm the you can buy it in digital, disc or entered to get the vinyl version
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

That version of 'I Don't Wanna Go Home' is awesome!
when i was cruel

Jeremy can I get the EP off of you via email or something, us in Canada don't get it :(
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Aspetta!!!!!!!!!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

when i was cruel wrote:Jeremy can I get the EP off of you via email or something, us in Canada don't get it :(
It should be available in Canada.
http://www.nationalransom.com/splash_cad.html
cwr

Post by cwr »

So jealous of the other regions currently enjoying National Ransack. I hate to wish this week away, but next Tuesday can't come soon enough!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Hi y'all,

Anyone know if 'Big Boys Cry' is a Costello original, or a a cover? It has the feel of a cover - it's less twisty-turny than a Costello original - but of course, we know that Elv can write a flat out simple lyric if he wants to, so... just wondering!

Nx
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Neil. wrote:Hi y'all,

Anyone know if 'Big Boys Cry' is a Costello original, or a a cover? It has the feel of a cover - it's less twisty-turny than a Costello original - but of course, we know that Elv can write a flat out simple lyric if he wants to, so... just wondering!

Nx
It's a Bobby Charles tune. Here's EC playing it live with Little Band O'Gold: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQHFD-C8Ukw
jardine

Post by jardine »

on the wfuv interview, interviewer says "so you recorded these 16 songs" and himself says "21 actually". so that means ransom, ransack and I Hope and that's it.

i'd say, time for another almost but not quite blue. the jimmie rodgers song he plays part way through the interview is fabulous, as are the reworkings of his older songs (eveerydayiwritethebook, e.g.)...hopefully, now that they are in this wonderful rich seam of sound and performance, they have a chance to record more.

i hope that ransack makes it to plastic of any sort. w. ransom, going from the interweb version to the three downloaded songs to the cd was, each step, a revelation in sound quality and the detail and warmth you can heard.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I've just ordered a copy of the 7" vinyl edition of this -

http://www.vvinyl.com/v/elvis-costello- ... nsack/1101

Only $6.99, including p&p to Europe.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

At least now we know what the cover looks like!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This reponse to a query -

1 December, 2010

I am still processing Black Friday mailorders. This record will not be available until January. I will send a paypal request for shipping closer to the release date.

Donna
VIntage VInyl Records
bobfrombob

Post by bobfrombob »

Some kind of National Ransack enquiry I suppose?

I have found Vintage Vinyl to be pretty good. I already have my Black Friday mailorder in hand and I'm in Canada. For whatever reason, their system is not set up to include international shipping costs when you place your order online so they send an email later to let you know the total. I actually preordered this too and haven't heard back yet. I guess their mail order lady (all my correspondence has been with Donna too) is busy.

johnfoyle wrote:This reponse to a query -

1 December, 2010

I am still processing Black Friday mailorders. This record will not be available until January. I will send a paypal request for shipping closer to the release date.

Donna
VIntage VInyl Records
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://blogs.tennessean.com/tunein/2010 ... ttakes-ep/

Elvis Costello to release 'Ransom' outtakes EP

December 3, 2010

If you can't get enough of what Elvis Costello put down on his 2010 Nashville-made album, National Ransom, we've got news that'll brighten your holiday.

On December 21, he'll release National Ransack, a 7" vinyl EP that includes four Ransom –era outakes.

National Ransack track listing:

1. Poor Borrowed Dress
2. Big Boys Cry
3. I Don't Want To Go Home
4. Condemned Man
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis PR-people confirm this: http://www.shorefire.com/index.php?a=pr ... ase&o=4497

Elvis Costello Packs December W/ Prairie Home Companion This Weekend + National Ransack Vinyl EP Release

Elvis Costello's December will include two special performances and one rare release, beginning with the broadcast of 'A Prairie Home Companion' live from New York City's Town Hall December 4th. This performance marks Costello's third visit on the show in 18 months.

He will also perform in Chicago on December 20th at the Chicago Theatre for WXRT’s Holiday Show, with Alejandro Escovedo opening.

And on December 21st, the "infinitely gifted" (LA Times) musician will celebrate the release of 'National Ransack,' a four-song 33 1/3 7" vinyl EP featuring songs recorded during the 'National Ransom' sessions.

Produced by T Bone Burnett, 'National Ransom' (Hear Music/Concord Music Group) was released in November to glowing reviews and features members of The Imposters and The Sugarcanes.

'National Ransack'
Track List
1. Poor Borrowed Dress
2. Big Boys Cry
3. I Don’t Want To Go Home
4. Condemned Man
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This note appears in the difficult to read 'notices' section of Elvis' site -

http://www.elviscostello.com/micro/national-ransom/

National Ransack: The Right Rev. Jimmy Quickly sends his seasonal greetings and announces the release of "National Ransack", a 7" vinyl EP, featuring the songs, "Poor Borrowed Dress", "Big Boys Cry", "I Don't Want To Go Home" and "Condemned Man". This record will be available from December 21st, for anyone still struggling to fill that platter-shaped space in the yuletide stockings

In a testimonial issued through the Right Rev, Elvis Costello reflected on his personal view of Extended Play discs and the dwindling number of real record shops in which you may browse and purchase them.

"The first record for which I ever slapped down my own pocket money was a vinyl E.P.

It was "Twist And Shout" by The Beatles.

For more than 45 years, record shops have been my reference library, my college and occasionally something like a church. I've happily left a small fortune in the collection plate.

We should defend and celebrate those still open for business with our last breath.

Music takes time.

My first record label released three 45rpm singles to very little fanfare before it ever became clear that this music lark might become my livelihood and it has been quite lively, now and then.

So, if this Extended Play release should be my last as we presently know them, it's a fine way to go out.

At least until someone comes up with pill that allows us to hear new music. I believe scientists are working on this as I write"
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Thanks for this.

Is it me or is Elvis' site difficult to navigate?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Hear "A Condemned Man" here: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... k-20101221

Exclusive Audio: Powerful New Elvis Costello Track'A Condemned Man' is off Costello's new EP 'National Ransack,' on sale today

The ever-prolific Elvis Costello releases at least one album a year these days, but even at that pace he still has plenty of material left over. Today he's releasing the four-track EP National Ransack, which is composed of outtakes from November's T-Bone Burnett produced disc National Ransom. Click below to hear "A Condemned Man" from the EP. "The first record for which I ever slapped down my own pocket money was a vinyl E.P. It was 'Twist And Shout' by The Beatles," Costello said in a statement. "For more than 45 years, record shops have been my reference library, my college and occasionally something like a church. I've happily left a small fortune in the collection plate. We should defend and celebrate those still open for business with our last breath."
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
jardine

Post by jardine »

is there some way to purchase this? v.g., i agree. i looked and looked at the site and can't find any way to buy the thing...
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I think the point is that it's available in record stores, to encourage people to buy it there and support them. I got my copy with the NATIONAL RANSOM pre-order.
jardine

Post by jardine »

oh dear. all we've got nearby is hmv, and i will get funny stares, and they'll look it up and tell me it doesn't exist. ah well. love the cover, though, and i've got the muchomegabyte download....
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Vinatge Vinyl have just 'shipped' my copy -

http://www.vvinyl.com/v/elvis-costello- ... nsack/1101
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Is it me or is Elvis' site difficult to navigate?
It's not you.