Dedicated National Ransack Thread

Pretty self-explanatory
supplydavid

Re: Dedicated National Ransack Thread

Post by supplydavid »

picked up my copy for $8 from Revolution in Ft Lauderdale, they had 3 copies delivered, all sold
jardine

Post by jardine »

Frankly, this is becoming a bit self fulfilling and almost self aggrandizing. All these woes about the end of record companies and record stores, and then this thing gets distributed, first, in a format that many folks don't have access to any more, and second, it's not even sold on his own website??? Exactly WHO does this affect the most, this fiddling around to make some sort of point?

Don't get me wrong, the point he is making about companies and distribution and live performances etc., is really really important, i think, and his articulation of it is stunning and acute. But the only ones affected at all--who is "listening" to all this lament, who is left out if he goes to performance only or only distributes these ransacks to small stores? if there was some magical connection between real fans who love and admire this man and his music, and the formats and small stores...then this might make better sense. but there isn't, i'm afraid. the exercise starts to smell just a wee bit, a bit indiscriminately vindictive.

I love you Elvis and I love the work you do and the point you are making. How come I find that I might be the one most affected by the actions you then might take?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

jardine wrote:is there some way to purchase this? v.g., i agree. i looked and looked at the site and can't find any way to buy the thing...
It's still available here: http://www.nationalransom.com/splash_us.html
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
jardine

Post by jardine »

i've got the download. i mean, to use e.c.s terms, "the object". don't see it there. Am i missing something?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From New Jersey to Dublin in 3 days - great service from Vintage Vinyl!
wordnat

Post by wordnat »

What a beautiful item! :D
cwr

Post by cwr »

Anyone find a copy at an NYC record store?
Pigalle

Post by Pigalle »

Mine arrived in the UK from elusive disc this morning; not only that but they knocked $4 off for being a new international customer!
DodgyTC

Post by DodgyTC »

Amoeba in Hollywood had 5 copies on new years day, sitting next to the other record store day release, the Hollywood High EP.
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

cwr » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:36 pm

Anyone find a copy at an NYC record store?

Picked up a copy from Bleeker Street Records on New Years Day :D
...I want him to hurt...
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Are lyrics included?
If so, can one of you nice people please post the lyrics to "Poor Borrowed Dress"? It's driving me crazy. Love this song a lot, by the way.
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Lyrics are not included.

'Editorial MPD' is a intriguing line , at the end of the credits on the back of the sleeve , just after the Coco Shinomiya design credit. It may be a reference to Matthew , Elvis' eldest son ( Graeme Thomson' bio. of Elvis says Matthew's middle name is Patrick, after Elvis' Grandfather). What editorial role? The choice of tracks? The sleeve design? We don't really need to know but, feck it, a line like that is just asking for speculation. What does the D stand for? MPD is, by the way, also thanked on the NR sleeve.
migdd

Post by migdd »

John, the "cover consultant" for the original Columbia vinyl release of King of Amaerica is credited as Matthew Patrick Declan MacManus.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks migdd !
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

johnfoyle wrote:Lyrics are not included.

'Editorial MPD' is a intriguing line , at the end of the credits on the back of the sleeve , just after the Coco Shinomiya design credit. It may be a reference to Matthew , Elvis' eldest son ( Graeme Thomson' bio. of Elvis says Matthew's middle name is Patrick, after Elvis' Grandfather). What editorial role? The choice of tracks? The sleeve design? We don't really need to know but, feck it, a line like that is just asking for speculation. What does the D stand for? MPD is, by the way, also thanked on the NR sleeve.
Not to go off topic or anything, but since you mention him...does anyone know why Matthew is so mysterious and obscure? Is he actually a musician? Is he in a band? Does also use a stage name? Is he on any recordings (other than that one shot on bass with his father)? Not trying to be nosey, but if he's a musician I'd like to hear his stuff and see how he fits in to the MacManus musical dynasty. By the way, if he actually is a bass player, I've always thought is was odd Elvis didn't replace Bruce with Matthew, rather than Davey. What's up with that?
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
Richard

Post by Richard »

For any one in the DFW area looking for National Ransack it is in stock at Good Records in Dallas. I picked up one for myself and one for another needy soul! They still had other copies on the shelf. $7.99.
atomovision

Post by atomovision »

Found the EP at local Los Angeles record store ... shocked it was under $10.00 ...

Enjoyed it, even a little more than National Ransom proper ...

Here's my full review

http://www.assignmentx.com/2011/music-r ... nsack-e-p/
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

atomovision wrote:Found the EP at local Los Angeles record store
Which one?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

http://www.elusivedisc.com/

here's where i got mine...less than $10 with shipping!
cwr

Post by cwr »

I'm having the WORST luck with receiving this record.

After having zero luck finding it in a NYC record shop (which officially, I'll say it: SUCKS now), I ordered on online, only to find out yesterday that it was delivered to my work address LAST WEEK and no one has seen any sign of it.

I ordered it to my work because I've had parcels stolen when left at my apartment building (a copy of the rare, out-of-print Allen Toussaint Rhino Handmade release was LEFT in the hallway by UPS and then stolen by someone in my building.)

So my copy of National Ransack is either floating around in my work somewhere, lost, or it was stolen. I just can't catch a break.

I'll ask again: is there a physical record store in Manhattan where I can go and purchase a copy of this???
atomovision

Post by atomovision »

I found it at Freakbeat Records in Sherman Oaks, CA -- I believe. There were still a couple copies left when I was there last week ...
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

bronxapostle wrote:http://www.elusivedisc.com/

here's where i got mine...less than $10 with shipping!
and i got it today; packaged professionally; only THREE days after ordering it!!! BUY IT HERE i say!!!!!!!!!!
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

To enhance your reading pleasure, this post should be read whilst whistling :

"Put your big toe in the milk of human kindness"

My birthday came early as my copy arrived via the generosity of a Stateside board member.

Colin Top Balcony
(aged 56 and 49 weeks)