Later with Jools Holland 29-10-10

Pretty self-explanatory
Ulster Boy

Later with Jools Holland 29-10-10

Post by Ulster Boy »

Apologies if this has already been noted, but EC is on Later on Friday, BBC2 UK - also featured are Paul McCartney and Neill diamond.
docinwestchester

Re: Later with Jools Holland 29-10-10

Post by docinwestchester »

How can we in the U.S. see this? Is there a BBC stream available to us? I'd love to watch it live.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Ulster Boy wrote:Apologies if this has already been noted, but EC is on Later on Friday, BBC2 UK - also featured are Paul McCartney and Neill diamond.
See this thread: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... f=2&t=8495
docinwestchester wrote:How can we in the U.S. see this? Is there a BBC stream available to us? I'd love to watch it live.
As far as I know, there is no official US stream of BBC2, but BBC America has been known to broadcast these shows after a decent interval. Check with your local cable operator, as they used to say. Performances by EC on Later have appeared on the occasional compilation DVD releases that the BBC has issued when it could be bothered. The time lag between live broadcast and DVD release is usually measurable in years, rather than months, so don't hold your breath.

There may, of course, be some unofficial sources for the show if someone on this side of the Atlantic were kind enough to post clips from the show to Youtube or similar. Or you could offer to trade recordings from US TV for stuff from the UK, allowing for differing formats etc.

MOOT
docinwestchester

Man out of Time wrote: As far as I know, there is no official US stream of BBC2

MOOT
Thanks. I've noticed that the official "Later" web site post clips within a week or two of the show, so I guess I'll watch them there. And as you mentioned, someone will probably put them up even earlier on YouTube. Finally, perhaps there is an unofficial stream of BBC2 here in the U.S. which I can find.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Dennis Crouch is in London at the moment. I wonder if he'll be appearing with EC?
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Radio Times is listing this as tonight, 26th?
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Hawksmoor wrote:Radio Times is listing this as tonight, 26th?

Sorry if you already know this, tonight is a live version of the show whch goes on for 30 minutes and I expect Elvis will do one or two songs. Friday is a longer version of tonights recording where he will probably do 3 or 4 songs. Normally 3.
GCM

Post by GCM »

It was a really great show tonight, with McCartney doing superb versions of "Jet" and "Band on the Run" to promote the re-release of that album. Neil Diamond did a nice acoustic band version of "I'm A Believer" and then Elvis, with just his guitar and a friend on double bass, did a superb rendition of "A Slow Drag with Josephine."

Friday's expanded show should be fantastic.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

GCM wrote: Elvis, with just his guitar and a friend on double bass, did a superb rendition of "A Slow Drag with Josephine."
Dennis!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Got this distorted image via my 'phone in front of the screen-

docinwestchester

The entire show has been posted on Dime:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=328512

wordnat

Post by wordnat »

Nice -- but it sounds a tad flat without Mike Compton's vocals....
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

EC etc did the song nicely 26th after McCartney-Diamond etc, and he whistled nicely/lifted his hat towards the end. Expanded Jools show is on Friday 29th - I don't know if EC did another song to be shown then ..
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

GCM wrote:It was a really great show tonight, with McCartney doing superb versions of "Jet" and "Band on the Run" to promote the re-release of that album. Neil Diamond did a nice acoustic band version of "I'm A Believer" and then Elvis, with just his guitar and a friend on double bass, did a superb rendition of "A Slow Drag with Josephine."

Friday's expanded show should be fantastic.
Sadly I would disagree about Neil Diamond, I though he was poor. Pretty much talked the lyrics over a lacklustre acoustic amble through what was once a great song. Even in the interview he didn't seem overly interested in being there (cmon, you're on the same show as Paul McCartney, promoting your just-released covers LP, and you can't remember which McCartney songs you did on it?). A disappointment.

McCartney was alright but again I find it difficult to get excited about LP-identical in-studio versions of decades-old hits. Elvis knocked spots off them both, performing a brand-new song which had more wit, humour and invention in two minutes than either McCartney or Diamond were able to manage in the lengthier slots they were given.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Hawksmoor

Completely agree.

EC aside this was probabaly the worst "Later" i've ever seen!

I think I preferred Mr Diamond in ridiculous-furry-red-outfit mode as shown in the cosy chat section. 'Fraid I didn't like Macca either, shamelessly mining the back catalogue for more riches. And Alice Cooper WTF?

Sorry

Colin Top Balcony
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/later/photos/37/7/#image1

Patrick Carney, Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys), Paul McCartney,Jools Holland,Neil Diamond, Alice Cooper, Elvis and Aloe Blacc
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Dan Auerbach was still in awe of meeting Macca, Diamond & Elvis at tonights excellent Black Keys show in Dublin. Said he was glad to meet his heroes, all part of his intro to a Kinks cover, another hero. Nice guys, a great 75 minute fat free show to a great crowd, one of the very few sell out shows around these parts recently. Good to hear Elvis' name in a seriously rocking guitartastic setting, it's been a very long while.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Anyone else think Neil Diamond is starting to turn into Robert McKee?
John

Post by John »

Time to get the telly warmed up for this. Hopefully three songs not just two?
Andrew_Souter

Post by Andrew_Souter »

McCartney was alright but again I find it difficult to get excited about LP-identical in-studio versions of decades-old hits. Elvis knocked spots off them both, performing a brand-new song which had more wit, humour and invention in two minutes than either McCartney or Diamond were able to manage in the lengthier slots they were given.
I've yet to hear National Ransom, but thought Slow Drag a thing of beauty - especially, perhaps, because its "wit, humour and invention" were uncalled for. Later with JH asks that the beloved entertainer plays replicas of his back catalogue (McCartney) or pleasant ditties (Diamond). There's no need for someone of EC's reputation to play new material, let alone new material which has a surprising melody, unusual instrumentation and what sounded like a terrific lyric. I love the songs McCartney played but the lack of effort was palpable - I know that he's promoting a new pressing of Band on the Run, but he must have some new songs that he fancies airing. I often get irritated by people insisting that a song is good because of its intent or the world view it suggests but in this case I did find the performance even more exciting than I would otherwise because it was performed among "legends" who clearly find their laurels a comfortable place to recline. The temptation to bask in old glories must be great for any performer of an advanced age and it's wonderful that EC appears impervious to it. I'm new to this forum so may be stating the fucking obvious, but it reminded me anew of one of the reasons I was so thrilled to discover his Very Best Of a few years ago.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

John wrote:Time to get the telly warmed up for this. Hopefully three songs not just two?
No - just the two. Josephine plus One Bell Ringing.

No I'm a Believer but 3 others for Neil Diamond - not that inspiring.

1985 and Roll With It instead of Band on the Run for Macca.

Should have gone to bed early.....
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Ta for info re longer Friday show - I didn't bother to record it, as it's on Cable etc (prob. iPlayer too...) play-it-again, but I won't.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Andrew_Souter wrote:I'm new to this forum so may be stating the fucking obvious, but it reminded me anew of one of the reasons I was so thrilled to discover his Very Best Of a few years ago.
Welcome, Andrew! Couldn't agree more about Elvis still being worth listening to, this late in his career.

So you discovered his Best Of a few years ago... what's the story? Did you seek it out, did you stumble across it by accident? Have you been devouring all the albums ever since (quite a task!)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.