Elvis,PBS' "Live from the Artists Den," German TV May 8 '12

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis,PBS' "Live from the Artists Den," German TV May 8 '12

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.shorefire.com/index.php?a=pr ... ase&o=4375

Tuesday, November 2

•Costello tapes a full set in front of a live audience at a stately, unconventional venue (TBA) for PBS' "Live from the Artists Den," which will air in early 2011. Costello will release several pairs of tickets via an NYC-based Foursquare scavenger hunt.

http://www.theartistsden.com/

Enter for tickets here -

http://www.artistsden.com/costello/
Last edited by johnfoyle on Fri May 04, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ypsilanti

Re: Elvis taping PBS' "Live from the Artists Den," Nov. 2 '1

Post by Ypsilanti »

On Facebook...
''From the desk of Miriam Cooney"
Secret Elvis Costello Concert in New York City.
The Artists Den is pleased to offer the chance for you and a guest to attend an intimate performance by Elvis Costello and The Sugarcanes with Pete Thomas on drums at a secret location in New York City on Tuesday, November 2 at 8:15 pm (7:30... doors). Winners will be emailed venue details. Enter to win at:

((( artists den ))) Elvis Costello and the Sugarcanes Taping
http://www.artistsden.com
Enter for the chance for you and a guest to attend a special Elvis Costello and the Sugarcanes concert in New York City on November 2. If you are selected, you will be emailed a confirmation and details.
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

who thinks maybe APOLLO THEATER for this??? would love to see EC & WELLER in same house same week!!!
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Actually, since it's going to be "at a stately, unconventional venue", I'm thinking it's going to be the former Emigrant Savings Bank building, which is on Chambers Street. Didn't Elvis recently hint about a concert in an abandoned bank? I think I remember reading that. And Live From The Artist's Den used that location previously for The Hold Steady. I looked it up--it's an incredibly beautiful building. Anyway, that's my guess.
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sounds good...
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

anyone get notified about this one yet???
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

bronxapostle wrote:anyone get notified about this one yet???
I did. I'll be there.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

good on you wardo...did the email arrive today? ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

I truly hope you have a wonderful time, Wardo- that should be quite the intimate venue for a special show.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

and just where IS the venue chris, wardo???
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

It's at the New York Public Library.
monkey2man

Post by monkey2man »

I'm in!! Got my e-mail a few days ago. Can't wait! Soooooo pumped!

BTW, I'm new to the forums here, huge fan living in NYC. It'd be good to meet other Costelloheads in the area! anyone up for drinks before the show?
krm

Post by krm »

monkey2man wrote:I'm in!! Got my e-mail a few days ago. Can't wait! Soooooo pumped!

BTW, I'm new to the forums here, huge fan living in NYC. It'd be good to meet other Costelloheads in the area! anyone up for drinks before the show?
welcome!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Enjoy!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://guestofaguest.com/calendar/2010/ ... rformance/

Elvis Costello & company private performance
When Tue, November 2,8:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Where New York Public Library, 42nd st & Bryant Park, New York
Admission Invite Only
Description
Artists Den is presents an intimate performance by Elvis Costello and The Sugarcanes with Pete Thomas. Costello tapes a full set in front of a live audience at a stately, for PBS' "Live from the Artists Den," which will air in early 2011. O
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

okay...i'm ready for a report. do NOT like being home on these nights!!! :( :( :(
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Bullets For The New-Born King (solo, the rest with Sugarcanes)
I Lost You
Blame It On Cain (!!!)
Dr. Watson, I Presume
Poor Borrowed Dress
A Condemned Man
One Bell Ringing
A Slow Drag With Josephine
Jimmie Standing In The Rain
The Spell That You Cast
That's Not The Part Of Him You're Leaving
National Ransom
(most likely the official end of the show, but they stayed on stage for the first "encore")
Stations Of The Cross
Sulfur To Sugarcane
(2nd encore)
Leave My Kitten Alone
All These Strangers

Same basic setup as the WNYC show. Pete stayed behind the kit the whole time, even when he wasn't playing. He retold the same jokes about 78s being made from beetles, about Jospehine being rock 'n roll in 1921, and said the EP will be out this month (November). He introduced the band as they came out, and again before National Ransom. Sulfur got a false start so he could cue the women in the audience to shout out his name per the lyrics. Kitten also had a false start because not all of the band had picked up their instruments yet.
A funny moment came when he prefaced Part Of Him with the story about a woman meeting with a male friend, and how they see things differently. "Nice story," said a woman in the audience. "It's true," said EC. He paused, then added, "After playing rock 'n roll on stage for 33 years I have no idea what the fuck you just said." (much laughter from the crowd, and the band) "You can put it on Twitter later," he added. (more laughter from the crowd and band) "Whatever the fuck that is," he added. Now everyone was laughing, including him.
There were two lines to get in -- one for VIPs, the other for those who got the e-mail. I was in the latter line, and walked in alongside Tom Colicchio and another guy I recognized from Top Chef but couldn't place his name. The VIPs got to sit in rows of chairs, while the rest of us milled around the perimeter and camera tracking. (I was on the right side facing the stage, about three rows back, if anyone cares.)
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Sounds great. Hope a recording emerges.
monkey2man

Post by monkey2man »

How about the dude who introduced the band and their new album "National Anthem"? That was pretty stupid. You'd think one might take a little more time to learn these things before getting on stage in front of hundreds of people. Kinda embarrassing.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

monkey2man wrote:How about the dude who introduced the band and their new album "National Anthem"? That was pretty stupid. You'd think one might take a little more time to learn these things before getting on stage in front of hundreds of people. Kinda embarrassing.
Pete Thompson, National Anthem... these people would probably be surprised to find that Elvis isn't his real name.
blureu

Post by blureu »

Review & pics:

http://bit.ly/aQvpSm
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

blureu wrote:Review & pics:

http://bit.ly/aQvpSm
It irked me to see a comment from someone who boasted of being able to sit in the front row but was disappointed that she didn't know most of the songs, wishing he'd played more "hits". People have already taken her to task, and felt compelled to join in the fray. (Something tells me Marie doesn't frequent this board anyway.)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/music/i ... s_fro.html

Elvis Costello plays songs from 'National Ransom' at the NYPL

November 04, 2010

Tris McCall/The Star-Ledger

Framed by an arc of lights on the ceiling of an exquisite marble hall, Elvis Costello stepped to the microphone. He’d told his seven-piece country band to stand down for the next song, but double-bassist Dennis Crouch kept a menacing pulse going as Costello plucked at a vintage acoustic guitar.

Costello had kept things as light as he could all night Tuesday. But "National Ransom" — his latest thought-provoking album, released that day — is no joyride. Eyes half closed, standing firm as a fullback throwing a block, pop’s grand agitator delivered "One Bell Ringing," the story of Jean Charles de Menezes, a Brazilian immigrant to London accidentally killed by police in the nervous days following the tube bombings of 2005.

It was Election Day in New York City, and the enduring Costello — every intellectual’s favorite pop star — was doing what he does best these days: entertaining crowds by posing tough questions through song.

On tracks from the T-Bone Burnett-produced "National Ransom" (Hear Music), Costello aired the timely obsessions of a discouraged social critic. How much of our humanity are we willing to sacrifice in the name of security? Do tough times bring out our compassion, or our cruelty?

The singing essayist chose the ideal venue for a meditation on past and current events: the Celeste Bartos Forum of the New York Public Library. Costello, who hit with the tongue-twisting "Watching the Detectives" and "Pump it Up" in the late ’70s, is a notorious punster and wordsmith. For an hour and a quarter, he and his bluegrass-inspired Sugarcanes (Crouch, pedal steel player Jerry Douglas, fiddler Stuart Duncan, accordionist Jeff Taylor, guitarist and backing singer Jim Lauderdale, mandolinist Mike Compton and former Attraction Pete Thomas on drums) delighted a bookish New York City audience at their live taping of PBS’ "Live From the Artist’s Den."

He’s festooned his latest country-pop songs with words straight from Webster’s: "Gavotte, garrotes, cotillions and slow arabesques/Drum-rolls and farandoles were all made in jest," he crooned in "Slow Drag With Josephine." Mind you, this is the album’s silly love song.

"Stations of the Cross," a return to Katrina-drenched New Orleans, and "Bullets for the Newborn King," a tale of a Third World assassination, are dense with poetic, and often upsetting, imagery.

"Jimmie Standing in the Rain," the sad story of a down-and-out country singer, is elevated by the generosity of the detail we’re given: the Brilliantine glistening in the performer’s hair, the indifference of the dirty coal mining town, the "lonely sound of jingling spurs" as the act has fallen flat again.

Costello’s singing voice is an iron spoon, designed to ram lyrics down the throats of listeners. In an era when songwriters often duck the topical implications of their own verse, his specificity and his forcefulness are refreshing. His is an ideal voice for brutal rock, but when he’s turned the megaphone on American traditional music — as he has, off and on, for the past 30 years — the songs have sometimes wilted as if flowers in a hailstorm. On "National Ransom," Costello has turned to bluegrass singer Jim Lauderdale to add sweetening harmonies and to smooth out the rough edges of the eternal punk rocker’s performances.

At the NYPL, Costello seemed thrilled to be singing with Lauderdale, even referring to him as his co-writer, though the North Carolinian only has one credit on "National Ransom" ("I Lost You," the album’s most thematically conventional track). The Liverpool-born Costello has, over the past two decades, had to fight off an unfair rap for desultory engagement with American musical forms. Since setting punk rock aside, his albums have become stylistically varied; he’s recorded with Burt Bacharach, Swedish soprano Anne Sofie von Otter, and jazz pianist Marian McPartland, just to name a few.

But for the past six years, Costello has been quite focused. "National Ransom" can be seen as the realization of compositional strategies first explored on 2004’s "The Delivery Man," a loose narrative about a drifter in the American South. "The River in Reverse," cut in hurricane-ravaged New Orleans with pianist Allen Toussaint, was another brave and rewarding foray into the Delta.

Costello and Burnett assembled their neo-bluegrass outfit for last year’s "Secret, Profane, and Sugarcane," an ambitious song cycle that attempted to draw connections between slavery, show business, colonialism and the prison-industrial complex. It was a nice try — nice enough that the Sugarcanes were called back for another attempt at the timeless American sound Costello seemed to be aiming for.

With "National Ransom," they’ve gotten it right. The group, augmented by strings and brass on "You Hung the Moon" and instant Costello classic "Church Underground," performs with genuine erudition; even when Costello sets a challenge, as he does on "Josephine," to play rock ’n’ roll as it might have been played in 1921, they demonstrate the historical imagination to pull it off.

His newfound dedication to historical fiction and topical verse has brought out the showman in Costello. Always mischievous, he’s taking delight at blurring the lines between country and pop, jazz and protest folk, and the past and the present. Onstage at the Bartos forum, the pop star wore an outfit that defied easy sartorial classification: his trademark thick black glasses, a beat-up (but stylish) hat, a plaid suit with horizontal stripes, and a tie with diagonal ones.

He could have been one of those fast-talking Depression-era guitar-slinging hucksters he seems to be channeling lately. He could have been the nerdiest member of the Rat Pack. Or he could have been a hipster from Williamsburg, here to enlighten the crowd with some old-fashioned declaiming.
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

"Elvis Costello opening a gift from Tiffany."

More at:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 8713703067
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thia page will, it seems, eventually have a recording of this show -

http://www.artistsden.com/elviscostello/