Elvis cheated by disgraced financier

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis cheated by disgraced financier

Post by johnfoyle »

All of a sudden some of the National Ransom lyrics get a little more interesting!

http://blogs.wsj.com/bankruptcy/2010/09 ... o-auction/

Marc Dreier

http://www.artinfo.com/news/story/35718 ... collector/

Phillips de Pury Hopes to Sell the Hoard of Another Disgraced Collector

By ARTINFO

Published: September 8, 2010

NEW YORK—As Sotheby's and Christie's stake out their blue-chip consignment territory in advance of the fall market season, second-string boutique Phillips de Pury seems to be working a burgeoning, if unglamorous, niche: helping disgraced financiers sell off their ill-gotten art. After bringing in more than $24 million this spring by auctioning the collection of debt-ridden Internet entrepreneur Hasley Minor, Phillips is now angling for the corporate art collection of the defunct law firm of Marc Dreier, who is serving a 20-year prison sentence for federal fraud after having attempted to sell $700 million bonus promissory notes to investors.

According to the Wall Street Journal, a bankruptcy official has filed for court approval for a November 21 Phillips auction of the modern and contemporary works Dreier amassed before his 2008 arrest. The 81-piece collection includes works by Damien Hirst, Henri Matisse, Andy Warhol, Jasper Johns, Ellsworth Kelly, and Willem de Kooning, as well as photographs of the Dreier family and of Audrey Hepburn playing that other fiscally inept individual Holly Golightly in "Breakfast at Tiffany’s."

A major Gagosian Gallery client, Dreier is known to have spent over $10 million for art in a single year. The bankruptcy estate of the former firm Dreier, LLP gained the rights to the art — which was confiscated after federal criminal charges were levied against Dreier — as a part of a deal that divided Dreier’s assets between the firm and his cheated clients, among whose ranks were such celebrities as Bill Cosby, Tim Burton, Justin Timberlake, rock group the Ramones, Elvis Costello, the New York Mets, and many others.

http://www.duhaime.org/LawFun/LawArticl ... 0-USA.aspx

Marc Stuart Dreier presently (2010) sits in a jail cell in Chicago, Illinois, where he completes his 20-year sentence for fraud. In his wake are losses of about $400-million and 800 victims, including celebrities such as Bill Cosby, Tim Burton, Justin Timberlake, Harry Connick, Jr., Elvis Costello, Jon Bon Jovi, Diana Krall, Andy Pettitte, Sammy Sosa and tennis star Maria Sharapova.

Starting in at least 2002, Dreier began stealing money from his clients, at first monies from settlement proceeds.

But starting in 2004, Dreier entered the big leagues of commercial fraud, and began secretly stealing millions from his clients and others, most in the form of fake IOUs, promissory notes, purportedly issued by companies in the United States and Canada and that he would then con Wall Street financiers to buy. If any note needing vetting, Dreier made sure he was somewhere along the line and he'd then vouch for the promissory note, with his word being passed up the line and standing as reference. He had fake email accounts and cellphone and land lines all leading back to him. He even prepared false financial statements. All details, he kept in secret black notebooks so that he could, as required, breath life into the bogus IOUs, sometimes paying off older ones to add credibility to newer, more valuable notes.

http://www.wikidfranchise.org/20090316-dreirs-star
Jack of All Parades

Re: Elvis cheated by disgraced financier

Post by Jack of All Parades »

One can only hope it was not his and his wife's complete investment portfolio. Yes! that feeds personal fuel into the vitriolic harangue against greed of "National Ransom". However one has to think he shares some culpability-like others burned by Madoff, etc, probably looking for returns to good to be believed. Still I feel very bad for his situation as I do not like to see anyone get hurt this way.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis' site has this intriguing update -

http://www.elviscostello.com/#/news/ame ... r-time/261

American Gangster Time

“Next week there’ll be some fashionable new sin
For each harlot and each puritan
Pull off their wings, stick ‘em on a pin
And just watch the money roll in”

Would it be anything to do with the latest on the man who, it seems, cleaned him out in '08?

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2011/11/29/for ... r-dollars/

November 29, 2011, 3:47 PM ET

Fortress Loses Bid To Chase Dreier Dollars

By Chad Bray

Updated: Marc E. Kasowitz, a lawyer for Fortress, said the investment firm disagreed with the appeals court decision and is considering all of its available legal options.

“If it stands, the Appellate Division’s ruling would permit law firms to provide legal opinions without so much as knowing who they represent, and would put parties at their peril in relying on legal opinions in corporate transactions,” said Kasowitz of Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman LLP.

Like a bad penny, disgraced lawyer Marc Dreier’s fraud turns up when you least expect it.

On Tuesday, a New York appellate court threw out a case against law firm Dechert LLP by investment firm Fortress Investment Group LLC stemming from Dreier’s fraud scheme. You can read a Bloomberg story on the decision here and prior blog posts on Dreier (pictured here) here, here, here and here.

Fortress had alleged that Dechert failed to fully investigate Dreier’s claims that New York real-estate firm Solow Realty would serve as a guarantor in a $50 million loan transaction in 2008.

After Dreier’s fraud came to light in late 2008, it became apparent that Solow wasn’t part of the transaction and Dreier had falsified the documents, Fortress alleged. Dechert prepared a legal opinion letter in connection with the transaction.

“Plaintiffs cannot establish that defendant breached a duty of care,” the First Department of the New York State Supreme Court’s Appellate Division found.

“As Dreier was Solow Realty’s attorney and the guarantor of the loan, defendant had no reason to suspect that Solow Realty was not in fact a party to the loan transaction or that Dreier forged the signatures of its principal and CEO.”

Dreier is serving a 20-year prison sentence after pleading guilty in 2009 to fraud and other charges.

A lawyer for Fortress didn’t immediately return a phone call seeking comment on Tuesday.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A belated look again at this story -

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/u ... off-312047

'Unraveled': Ponzi Schemer Marc Dreier Nitpicks Prison Accommodations

4/13/2012

by Todd Gilchrist

After being convicted of perpetrating more than $750 million in securities fraud, the former Manhattan attorney attempts to negotiate the conditions of his upcoming imprisonment.

Although Bernie Madoff’s December 11, 2008 arrest made bigger headlines, Marc Dreier committed securities fraud to the tune of more than $750 million, a detail not overlooked in Marc H. Simon’s new documentary Unraveled. Opening Friday at select theaters across the country, Simon’s film offers a uniquely intimate portrait of the former Manhattan attorney in his final days under house arrest before being sentenced for his crimes.

The Hollywood Reporter has secured an exclusive clip from the film, in which Dreier discusses prison accommodations with his lawyer. In a scene that resembles the final moments of Goodfellas where Henry Hill nitpicks the terms of his agreement with the FBI ("I don't want to go any place cold, because I'm bronchial"), Dreier talks about his sleeping quarters, worrying about the quality of his sleep while he resides in a low-security, dormitory-style cubicle that he will share with as many as 12 other men. “My biggest fear is having somebody who snores in the bunk next to me,” Dreier says.

The lawyer then reassures him that he’ll have a variety of food options other than hot dogs, which Dreier says he “can’t eat.” Finally, the two men talk about what sort of work he will be required to do, and Dreier insists that he doesn’t want to be on his hands and knees for eight hours a day. The lawyer tells him he’ll be doing something “very menial,” which should last up to 45 minutes or an hour.

Unraveled opens in theaters in Los Angeles and New York Friday, April 13, and the film is available on multiple video-on-demand platforms.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review ... iew-203378

Unraveled: Film Review

6/20/2011

by Stephen Farber

The film was shown on BBC4 last September

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ml8gh
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Another omission from the book.

I see another EC reference since I last updated this.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... dian-firms

Marc Dreier loses $33M art collection after bilking more than $700M from U.S. and Canadian firms

Adrian Humphreys | August 12, 2013

(extract)

His firm represented celebrity musicians such as Justin Timberlake, Elvis Costello and 50 Cent; sports figures such as Sammy Sosa and Maria Sharapova; and some of the world’s major sports teams, including Manchester United Football Club and the New York Mets.
erey

Post by erey »

Jack of All Parades wrote:One can only hope it was not his and his wife's complete investment portfolio. Yes! that feeds personal fuel into the vitriolic harangue against greed of "National Ransom". However one has to think he shares some culpability-like others burned by Madoff, etc, probably looking for returns to good to be believed. Still I feel very bad for his situation as I do not like to see anyone get hurt this way.
Said the man with tenure and a defined-benefit pension plan.

I know this is really old, but it makes me want to punch Jack of All Parades in the face every time I see it. Really, what a revolting thing to say.