When was your first Elvis gig?

Pretty self-explanatory
Bladders

When was your first Elvis gig?

Post by Bladders »

No doubt a thread that you have had before but having just joined you have 81 pages of threads for me to read through yet!

Mine was in The Leas Cliff Hall Folkestone 03/03/80 I was 15 and in my last year at school. I did send a copy of the ticket and a review from the paper to the old EC website but it doesnt appear to be on the wiki gigography now
If I find them again Ill upload them.

When was yours?
sulky lad

Re: When was your first Elvis gig?

Post by sulky lad »

Bladders, what a hero - I've never heard of anyone who saw EC in 1980 (except Otis and his famous Guernsey gig) Can you recall much of th event ? I'm sure we'd all love to hear details.
I saw Elvis at The Roundhouse in 1978 but I don't know if it was the "freebie" in january or part of the UK tour in April. I didn't see Phil Lynnott so I think it might have been the earlier show. I wasn't too impressed mostly because of the amount of "gobbing" that went on by the audience !
After that I next saw him at Exeter 1981 and a few times since !!
Bladders

Post by Bladders »

Hi Sulky

TBH I dont remember much apart from it was brill!
Ill hunt around for that article
I next saw him in Canterbury 24th June 1983 here's a photo i took at that gig
I do remember a long version of Pump It Up we were all po-going at the front!
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

The Dominion Theatre Tottenham Court Road Christmas 1978. There was a large Elvis above the entrance and a laser shooting off down Oxford Street. The security was very tight and would not let anyone stand up.

Followed by a gig at the Hammersmith Palais I think it was the following month but it may have been a bit later.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I appear to have come rather late to the party, as my first EC gig was October 15 last year. I've made up for lost time with three since then.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Also late to the party...Sept. 2007...went to Philadelphia to see him with the Mann Center Orchestra. Had to take a cab ride through a super scary part of town to get to the venue. Cabbie got lost, but we finally got there--an outdoor amphitheater in a park. Had to hike through the park a bit to get to the theater. By then, Husband had to pee like crazy, so I waited outside the men's room. While I was standing there, sure enough, EC popped out of the adjacent stage door to make a phone call. Yowza! He was like 6 feet away--before I ever heard him sing! It was a fantastic concert, by the way.

Including things like Spectacle tapings, I have been lucky enough to see him 7 times since.
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
Riddler

Post by Riddler »

Hemel Hempstead Pavilion (UK) in March 1978. I was 15 and went with my two older brothers, the older of whom had seen EC at Live Stiffs in December 77. I've seen him over 110 times since ... but that is still the best gig ever (from him or anyone else). Nick L on bass, unbelievable energy and intensity in the air. EC stopped the show when someone threw a lit cigarette at him. A roadie came out and grabbed the guy's hair - who was standing right next to me - and shone a torch into the guy's face and EC challenged the guy to come up on stage and get the sh-t kicked out of him. Then they blasted into the next song at a zillion miles an hour. EC was just plain scary up close like that. In fact I always used to be really nervous standing down the front at EC gigs; he just looked like he would go mental at any time and physically assault you if you so much as looked at him the wrong way. The Rockplast (sp?) video up on YouTube is the best encapsulation of that fantastic time showing just how good the A's were and what a charismatic figure EC cut. So good.
Bladders

Post by Bladders »

just checking the rockplast vids very impressive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxkK_8h9OSY
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

just checking the rockplast vids very impressive
Wow! When you see how he was then--the energy, the intensity--it's slightly amazing that he managed to survive his own life--not burn out, OD, become a lunatic, etc...
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
GCM

Post by GCM »

The first of my 37 gigs was at the Satellite City in Glasgow in March '78. This was a small hall above the famous Apollo Theatre at the top of Renfield St. I can't remember too much about it, except that the view was terrible and the sound deafening.
TOBYROME

Post by TOBYROME »

Always a big fan but unfortunately didn't drive until I was 25 and those friends that could, didn't share the same taste in music. I can recall being frustrated I was back in 83 (B'ham) and 84 (Nottingham). Looking back it's ridiculous how I didn't have the forsight to simply take the train.

My first was, Live Aid. One song, but what a performance. Did I once hear that EC was one of the performers who unselfishly cut his set because of time constraints. Has EC ever been asked what other songs were likely to be included? Somehow I can't imagine him doing anything else.

My first full length gig was Glastonbury 87, It blew me away when the curtains revealed the Attractions for the second half of the set and I didn't know until a long time afterwards that it was to be thier last.

I've gone on to catch a variety of gigs, all have been truely amazing, many quite unique,

1985.07.13 - Live Aid – London Wembley Stadium
1987.06.20 - Glastonbury Festival – w: The Attractions & David Hadalgo
1989.06.02 - Royal Albert Hall – London – Solo w: Nick Lowe, Chris Difford & Glen Tilbrook
1991.07.09 - Colston Hall – Bristol – w: The Rude 5
1993.02.28 - Theatre Royal – Dury Lane – London – w: The Brodsky Quartet
1994.07.12 - Royal Court Theatre – Liverpool – w: The Attractions
1995.05.17 - Shepherds Bush Empire - London – w: The Attractions – James Burton, Marc Ribot
1996.11.01 - Symphony Hall - Birmingham – w: John Harle
1998.10.29 - Royal Festival Hall – London – w: Burt Bacharach
1999.04.16 - Symphony Hall - Birmingham – w: Steve Nieve
1999.11.06 - Symphony Hall - Birmingham – w: Steve Nieve
2002.08.18 - V Festival – Weston Park – w: The Imposters
2003.10.10 - Bridgewater Hall – Manchester – w: Steve Nieve
2005.02.13 - Warwick Arts Centre - Coventry – w: The Imposters
2005.05.29 - Symphony Hall - Birmingham – w: The Imposters
2008.06.25 - Liverpool Philharmonic Hall – w: The Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra
2009.04.23 - Barbican Centre – London - w: The Brodsky Quartet
2010.06.21 - Symphony Hall Birmingham - Solo
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

1981-01-28 College Park, Maryland (English Mugs Tour, Attractions + Martin Belmont, Squeeze)
jmm

Post by jmm »

August 15, 1983 at the Mann Music Center, Philadelphia, PA with the Attractions, TKO Horns and Afrodiziak too if memory serves

In the 80+ other shows have only see a horn section as The Cresent City Horns with Allen T (that is excluding the Mingus Orchestra, Metropole, Burt Bacharach, etc) and perhaps the only show with dedicated back-up singers!

Once each with the Imposters and the Sugarcanes so far this year -- can't wait for the next time!!!
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
Shatteredmannequin

Post by Shatteredmannequin »

August 22, 1982. Imperial Bedroom tour. Cape Cod Coliseum in South Yarmouth, MA.
Talk Talk was the opening act.
Great show- turned me from fan to fanatic and I never looked back (50+ shows later...)
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Warner Theatre, Washington DC Feb 28, 1978. The first of about 190....

dave
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Harrogate, solo show November 84. T-Bone Burnett as support act. Had to leave early to get the bus, and missed The Coward Brothers encore. Also missed the bus home and had to get a taxi. An unforgettable (and very expensive) night!
krm

Post by krm »

August 30 , 1979 Olympen Lund. Can´t remember much. I got stuck and have seen some 20+ shows since. Looking forward to next Monday with the Sugarcanes in Copenhagen :-)
Highlights, hmmm - chaos gig w The pogues in Malmö 1985, Spinning Songbook shows in Stockholm 1986 I think.
John

Post by John »

Sheffield Polytechnic, 01 Nov 1983. Nelson Mandela buidling if memory serves. New student at university, never been to a "pop concert" before, went on my own, stood right at the front, crushed, sweaty, loud, fantastic! Even bought the t-shirt, which I later managed to burn whilst drying clothes in front of my electric heater. I'm going to have to put Punch The Clock on.

It was another 6 years before I saw him again.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

A belated welcome, Bladders.

Very first engagement I caught was 5/6/1978 and the late show at the Paladium in NYC with the Attractions. It is a date that has stronger significance for me as 10 years later to the date my oldest daughter was born.

Since then just about every time he has come through my area except of late as the TDM and SPS material has failed to really engage me.

Most memorable:

4/1/79 April Fool's Day and a great show at the Lone Star Cafe with the Attractions-it was as if he was playing for just your table that was how small the venue was.

8/27/82- perhaps my alltime favorite at Forest Hills Tennis Stadium with the Attractions and the opening act, Nick Lowe.

8/9/83- Jones Beach and under the stars with the smell of the Atlantic and the sound of Imperial Bedroom material filling the air.

8/3/95- The Beacon Theatre with the Attractions. Not a particularly memorable show but firmly etched in my mind the sight of an exceedingly drunk Jeff Buckley lurching out of the stage door and stumbling down Broadway into the evening.

10/13/98 with Burt Bacharach at Radio City Music Hall- just a wonderful show with great material and a full orchestra to boot.

Finally, 9/30/07 opening solo for Bob Dylan in Bridgeport, CT. It was nice to see him command a stage that evening with just his guitar, material and charm.

Most missed opportunity- Tony Bennett's 80th Birthday party a few years back when my brother in law played with him and Diana as they serenaded Mr. Bennett for his birthday at a private party. Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

I'm going to sound very smug now but I suspect I'm one of the earliest if not the earliest.
I saw him at the Nashville rooms in West London in late August 1977, in the first ever run of gigs with the Attractions.
It started an enthusiasm that's lasted more than 30 years. They were phenomenal.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

My first Elvis gig was on the "Spike" tour. Lake Componce Amusement Park in Bristol, CT on August, 15, 1989.

I had really good seats and It was an amazing concert.

I saw him again up there on the MLAR tour - even more amazing concert, in a completely different way.

I miss the venue; they don't do summer concerts up there anymore.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

My first Costello concert:

Neil.

Post by Neil. »

LIverpool Royal Court 8th December 1986 - the Spinning Songbook tour.

Me and my brother, aged 18, took the train from South Wales, stayed with our great aunt-and-uncle in Wallasey, took the ferry across the Mersey, and saw an amazing Attractions gig (the following night, too, with a slightly different set).

I remember the crazy slide show, the go-go cage, the weird bouncer character helping people onto the stage... also the guy out of Scully singing Twist and Shout (and possibly something else), and Alan Bleasdale and family in the Royal Box. I remember talking to some guy standing in front of me, before Elvis came on, and saying Elvis is better than Lennon, and he said he wouldn't go that far...

Great covers of Knowing Me, Knowing You, and His Latest Flame.... also, his earliest (?) instance of mixing New Amsterdam with You've Got to Hide Your Love Away... something he still does in his act! His solo section, as ever, was a revelation.

It was the emergence of the more accomodating, audience-friendly Elvis - he'd lost his pretend anger (to fit in with punk) and became the 'real' performer he always wanted to be. Amazing to think he still had all those incredible songs to come... and STILL he keeps amazing me, 24 years later!
oliversa1

Post by oliversa1 »

My first concert was the "Tour to Trust" tour at the Liverpool Empire. Seats were awful right at back, sound was bad also.

Since then, I have been determined to be as close to the front as possible, never been disappointed since.
Don't Start Me Talking, I Could Talk All Night.
deerfried

Post by deerfried »

8/24/83: Poplar Creek, Illinois (& the Attractions)
8/28/84: Poplar Creek, Illinois (& the Attractions)
10/24/99: Beacon Theater, New York (with Steve Nieve)
6/8/02: Chicago Theater (& the Imposters, with the nightmare opening act, Billy Bob Thornton)
6/18/02: Beacon Theater, New York (& the Imposters; Joe Henry opened)
3/16/04: Oriental Theater, Chicago (with Steve Nieve; angry Elvis because of botched introduction by WXRT d.j.)
4/17/05: Auditorium Theater, Chicago (& the Imposters; the wonderful Sondre Lerche opened)
7/27/05: with Emmylou Harris at Ravinia, Highland Park, IL
6/11/06: with Allen Toussaint at Ravinia
10/27/07: with an incomprehensible Bob Dylan at the Chicago Theater