Elvis & The Sugarcanes, Glasgow (UK), July 2, 2010

Pretty self-explanatory
Top balcony

Re: Elvis & The Sugarcanes, Glasgow (UK), July 2, 2010

Post by Top balcony »

sulky lad wrote:PaulTMA said
If anyone has any suggestions for making this recording more balanced (compression?) then I'd like to hear them. I have Audacity, Logic Express 8 and Garageband at my disposal.
I use Nero which has several free downloads variations to play with my wav files.
On my version of Nero (which I think is a Ver 8.0 ) there is a Volume option on the top toolbar. Click on the start of the portion of the wav file you want to change the volume of and drag to the end of the portion and then click on the Volume name on the toolbar andd highlight the volume change . Thus gives a pictogram including decibel levels and you can adjust until you're happy with the volume and then save in the normal manner. hope this helps, Best wishes, and good luck

I just knew Glynn Johns* was lurking on this board - this is fantastic news!

' younger readers can get up to speed on this man's accomplishments via this link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyn_Johns

Colin Top Balcony
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

To be honest, Top Balcony, you can probably imagine me more in the role of Phil Spector - apart from the Alan Titchmarsh hairstyle !!! :lol:
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

sulky lad wrote:To be honest, Top Balcony, you can probably imagine me more in the role of Phil Spector - apart from the Alan Titchmarsh hairstyle !!! :lol:
and the firearms...
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

docinwestchester wrote
and the firearms...
I do have an air rifle for shooting rats in my garden so any troublesome musicians beware !! :lol:
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://news.scotsman.com/features/Gig-r ... 6399657.jp

Gig review: Elvis Costello
By Fiona Shepherd
ELVIS COSTELLO & The Sugarcanes ****

Royal Concert Hall, Glasgow
JUDGING by the modest attendance at this show, Elvis Costello's current country-fuelled incarnation appears to have flown under the radar. To date, his cover of George Jones's Good Year For The Roses remains his best known foray into maudlin country, but his long association with Texan producer and songwriter T Bone Burnett has kept him in touch with the musical wellspring of the southern United States.

Costello may be the star, but this disarming concert was a true ensemble effort thanks to his esteemed band of Nashville players, including Jerry Douglas on dobro and singer/songwriter Jim Lauderdale on guitar and authentic bluegrass harmonies, whose relaxed, unshowy playing belied the excellence of their musicianship.
Highlights among the material from current album Secret, Profane & Sugarcane were Down Among The Wines And Spirits, a hugely poetical spin on the classic tears-in-my-beer country lyric, and the bluegrass, skiffle and rockabilly melting pot of Don't Lie To Me.

But there were plentiful treats from his back catalogue, such as New Amsterdam and (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes, given a light dusting of folksy instrumentation. Every Day I Write The Book was stripped back to a soulful mountain lament, while The Delivery Man was coloured with fuzzy slide guitar and tin whistle.
Even the starkest songs from Costello's past benefited from the band's subtle embellishments, which added depth and eerie character to the tormented maelstrom of I Want You and the quiet devastation of Shipbuilding.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
PaulTMA

Post by PaulTMA »

sulky lad wrote:PaulTMA said
If anyone has any suggestions for making this recording more balanced (compression?) then I'd like to hear them. I have Audacity, Logic Express 8 and Garageband at my disposal.
I use Nero which has several free downloads variations to play with my wav files.
On my version of Nero (which I think is a Ver 8.0 ) there is a Volume option on the top toolbar. Click on the start of the portion of the wav file you want to change the volume of and drag to the end of the portion and then click on the Volume name on the toolbar andd highlight the volume change . Thus gives a pictogram including decibel levels and you can adjust until you're happy with the volume and then save in the normal manner. hope this helps, Best wishes, and good luck
Unfortunately I'm on a Mac so can't even download the trial version of Nero. I tried adjusting volume levels of the different sections using 'Amplify' in Audacity, though the results came out sounding very uneven.
scaredcrow

Post by scaredcrow »

Was at this show and thought it was excellent. EC didn't seem too disheartened by the low attendence, though I like to think that it was because the gig was announced at relatively short notice and a bit more expensive than usual, rather than due to a lack of interest.

There's another, five star, review here: http://www.the-fly.co.uk/words/reviews/ ... sugarcanes
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Jerry Douglas has posted instalments of his tour diary onto his website here: http://www.jerrydouglas.com/journalDeta ... journal=70. He has this to say about the Sugarcanes' concert in Glasgow:
"July 2 Glasgow did not let us down. With very little advertisement time, they nearly packed the Royal Concert Hall, home of Celtic Connections' version of Transatlantic Sessions. I felt right at home.

The previous night’s long show left Elvis's voice in shambles, yet he miraculously rallied just before showtime, trouper that he is. Lesser singers would have wimped out and cancelled. We went for some more new songs tonight, "I Want You", and " Girls Talk" are two I remember. We played for more than two hours, giving Glasgow the best shot possible. Our encores are as long as our shows."
MOOT
scamp

Post by scamp »

Can this be seeded?
docinwestchester

scamp wrote:Can this be seeded?
Was this a torrent? I don't have it.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Although Paul has a recording, he wasn't happy with the quality and I offered to try and tweak it for him but there was no reaction. I've not contacted him since our first communication but my offer still stands (if you're interested Paul) It seems his was the only recording made that night - I was unable to attend because of the somewhat strange route EC took - I'd hoped to go from Gateshead to Glasgow and then to Dublin but instead spent a couple of days in Dublin - where John Foyle scarpered overseas to avoid me !! :lol:
scamp

Post by scamp »

I didn't realize he recorded it and was asking for help. I use a mac too. I use Audacity envelope feature feature to quiet things and then amplify but I'm sure many would have fun just tinkering with the raw recording. Sorry to Paul for not noticing this sooner :oops:
PaulTMA

Post by PaulTMA »

If I dropbox the two files and someone wants to balance the audio then be my guest. (If you share, of course.) I recorded last week in Edinburgh too.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

do it, somebody!! :)
docinwestchester

FAVEHOUR wrote:do it, somebody!! :)
I sent a PM.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »