Elvis at McCartney White House Tribute, June 2010

Pretty self-explanatory
FAVEHOUR

Elvis at McCartney White House Tribute, June 2010

Post by FAVEHOUR »

A post at the Paul McCartney Examiner blog says that McCartney will be given the third Gershwin Award for Popular Song and that the tribute will be held at the White House and televised by PBS.

You may have seen the Stevie Wonder ceremony last year which was also held at the White House.

The article says among the performers paying tribute will be our own Elvis!

The show is supposed to air July 28th, doesn't say when it actually is happening (presumably before the European tour starts). Guess it doesn't matter much cause I don't think any of us will be able to get tickets. But at least it'll be on TV!

http://www.examiner.com/x-34954-Paul-Mc ... iner-email

http://www.libraryofcongress.gov/about/ ... /gershwin/

Dave
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis to Perform at McCartney White House Tribute

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.prweb.com/releases/gershwin_ ... 042824.htm

May 24, 2010 -- Librarian of Congress James H. Billington announced today that the third Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song will be presented to Sir Paul McCartney at a special concert in the East Room of the White House on June 2, 2010.

The program, to be taped by WETA Washington, D.C., as part of the “In Performance at the White House” series, will air on PBS stations nationwide on Wednesday, July 28, 2010, at 8 p.m. EDT (check local listings) as “Paul McCartney: The Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song In Performance at the White House.”

The concert will feature a tribute by major stars, many of whom will perform the songs that propelled McCartney to legendary status in music and humanitarianism around the world. The lineup of performers includes Stevie Wonder, Faith Hill, Jonas Brothers, Dave Grohl, Jack White, Elvis Costello, Emmylou Harris, Herbie Hancock, Corinne Bailey Rae and remarks by Jerry Seinfeld.
rachelhasen

Post by rachelhasen »

What an interesting lineup. I can't wait to hear what Jerry Seinfeld says.
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

"What's the deal with left-handed bassists?!"
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

The White House website says there'll be a live stream at 7:20 PM EDT.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/live
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

And No Coffee Table wrote:The White House website says there'll be a live stream at 7:20 PM EDT.

And the best way to record a live stream is...?
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Comments from someone who torrented Dylan's appearance a few months back suggest that the program may be downloadable from the whitehouse.gov site after the program ends. That would be great!
CraigatCoF

Post by CraigatCoF »

No performances were streamed. Only the speeches from Paul and President Obama. Cool to hear the Prez say Elvis Costello, though.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

docinwestchester wrote:
And No Coffee Table wrote:The White House website says there'll be a live stream at 7:20 PM EDT.

And the best way to record a live stream is...?

easy question DOC!! POLDERBITS!!!

a one time $36 charge lets you record ANYTHING that plays upon your computer....STEAL OF A DEAL!!
CraigatCoF

Post by CraigatCoF »

A report from someone at the show says that EC did Penny Lane.

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/most-pop ... shwin.html

"The small group of invited friends, guests and staff that were on hand broke into wild applause following a flawless solo by a US Marine Band member who was invited to recreate the bright notes of the piccolo trumpet for Penny Lane. Costello, who co-wrote 12 songs with McCartney, provided the lilting vocals. "
And No Coffee Table

McCartney's long, winding road goes to White House

By NANCY BENAC (AP) – 1 hour ago

WASHINGTON — If the first British invasion of the White House ended with the house afire, the latest had Barack and Michelle Obama and their kids bouncing in their seats at a tribute concert for former Beatle Paul McCartney.

The setting for the McCartney tribute was the ornate East Room, chandeliers overhead, George and Martha Washington portraits on the walls and an all-star lineup cranking out some of McCartney's greatest hits.

Stevie Wonder had the Obamas clapping to "We Can Work It Out." The Jonas Brothers did "Baby You Can Drive My Car." Corinne Bailey Rae slowed things down with "Blackbird." And Faith Hill stroked "Long and Winding Road."

Elvis Costello crooned "Penny Lane," and called it a "thing of wonder and beauty," noting that his mother grew up not far away from the now-famous street in Liverpool, England.

Jerry Seinfeld had lots of compliments for McCartney and one complaint — he couldn't quite figure some of McCartney's lyrics.

Such as: "She was just 17. You know what I mean."

Seinfeld: "I'm not sure I do know what you mean, Sir Paul. I think I know what you mean. And I think there's a law enforcement agency in a couple of states that might want to ask you a few questions."

The event's executive producer, Cappy McGarr, said Wednesday's concert was probably "the smallest venue that Sir Paul has played since the Cavern" in his days in Liverpool.

The 67-year-old McCartney, seated right next to Obama for the concert, was there to receive the Gershwin Prize for Popular Song, awarded by the Library of Congress. He kicked things off with a rocking rendition of "Got To Get You Into My Life."

Among others performing: Emmylou Harris, White Stripes singer and guitarist Jack White and Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl.

The Gershwin prize, awarded by the Library of Congress, is named for the songwriting brothers George and Ira Gershwin, whose collections are housed at the library. Previous recipients of the Gershwin award are Wonder and Paul Simon.

McCartney played a private concert at the library on Tuesday, and said he'd grown up listening to music by the Gershwin brothers.

For all the awards the former Beatle has collected over the years, he said performing before the Obamas in the East Room was still a pinch-me moment.

"For an English kid growing up in Liverpool, the White House — that's pretty special," he said.

"He's a great guy," McCartney said of Obama, "so lay off him."

Librarian of Congress James Billington credited McCartney for "symbolizing and humanizing the global soundscape," with his music and his activism around the world.

Those not lucky enough to snag tickets to the East Room gig can catch the concert July 28th, when it's televised on PBS' "In Performance at the White House."
And No Coffee Table

Pool Report: Paul McCartney at the White House June 2, 2010

Event basics: Sir Paul McCartney was awarded the Gershwin Prize for Popular Song during a star-studded ceremony in the White House East Room. President Obama and his family sat in the first row, surrounded by politicians and big names in music.

News, sort of: Obama mentioned "difficult time" for the Gulf Coast, saying that his thoughts are with friends in an area "so rich in musical heritage." He said it is "herartbreaking" but said the group in the room is committed to help and see the community "made whole again." He said "Part of what gets us through tough times is music" and that there's always a kernel of ourselves "that sings even when times are hard."

Another bit: At the very close of the event after Obama had left the room, McCartney took the mic again and thanked the Library of Congress again for the award. He then said, "After the last eight years, it's great to have a president who knows what a library is."

Other than that as all color, with highlights being of course the music, McCartney's choice of song "Michelle" and some POTUS-FLOTUS hand-holding.Another highlight, during "Hey Jude" at the finale and for the "Na, na, na, na, na, na, na" chorus, McCartney got everyone, including the entire First Family on the stage. They clapped and everyone sang along as he sat himself at the piano.

I've got most of the songs and performers in the report below, but it was hard to see many of the guests since most of the viewing was done on the screen in the briefing room. Pool was led into East Room about 2/3 into the event for Obama's remarks and one song.

At 7:38 p.m., the president and first lady joined the Obama daughters to sit in the front row. Michelle Obama sat to the president's left, and they frequently whispered to one another.

McCartney entered the room after the president, grabbed a guitar and took the stage, declaring, "Welcome to the White House," and then performing "Got to Get You Into My Life." He wore a blue jacket with no tie. When he finished, he joined the president in the front row and sat to his right. They also chatted back and forth most of the evening.

WH Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel also was in the front row, toward the right near Stevie Wonder. Also spotted: Speaker Nancy Pelosi, HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan, Marian Robinson, Sen. Dick Durbin. Will send list of attendees as provided by the White House in second report.

FLOTUS wore a short frock that is a color called "blush" and appeared to be made of satin. The designer is Byron Lars, a male designer who bills himself as making "twisted American classics." The dress had a cowl-necked collar and her belt was adorned with large jewels. As she sat, you could see a little pink petticoat peeking out over her knee.

The First Couple clapped and smiled throughout the evening. Malia Obama also seemed to be enjoying herself, especially when the Jonas Brothers performed "Drive My Car."

Stevie Wonder played "We Can Work It Out" - twice. He stopped half-way through the first time because his harmonica wasn't at the ready. When he played the harmonica solo the second time the crowd clapped and Obama was nodding.

Jerry Seinfeld made a joke about so many prizes, and quipped about the Nobel Prize. He also called McCartney an "unparalleled artist" and said he makes "the most beautiful music I've ever heard." He joked about some of the Beatles lyrics and cracked some jokes about marriage after which the first lady laughed and clapped.

As Lang Lang performed a piano solo "Celebration," the president and first lady held hands.

Elvis Costello offered brief remarks, telling the several hundred gathered there that music "is often an us-against-them proposition." He said that the song he would play, "Penny Lane," is about a place near where his mother came from, and that when "this thing of wonder and beauty came on the radio," his dad, mom and cat "all stood up and took notice."

He talked of the "beautiful way that Paul's songs united us," adding, "thank you, and I love you and thank you for your songs and your friendship."

Big cheers erupted from the audience after the trumpet portion in the song, and Costello gave the player a generous "Sgt. Pepper" shoutout - introducing him as "Matthew Harding of the president's own United States Marine Band."

Dave Grohl told the crowd he's a DC native and has played "every club, every basement, every arena and every stadium." But, he said: "All of that has nothing on Paul: You're definitely my hero. And Mister President, you're definitely my other hero."

He then played "Band on the Run," by McCartney during the Wings era.

Obama nodded his head to the beat, and I've gotta say, Grohl rocked it.

Pool was led in after Grohl as Stevie Wonder and McCartney performed a duet of "Ebony/Ivory." As we were led in we saw there was a bar and some chafing dishes set up in the foyer for what I presume is a post-concert reception.

Obama's remarks will be out via transcript in the morning but he said the United States stole McCartney and singled out Pelosi for praise as being a champion of the arts. He said the Beatles "blew the walls down for everybody else" and "changed everything overnight" by appearing on the Ed Sullivan Show." Obama said McCartney and the Beatles "helped to lay the soundtrack for an entire generation."

They hugged as McCartney came on stage. He held the award as he praised Obama. "Getting this prize would just be good enough, but getting it from THIS president ..." he said, to big cheers. He said that even though there are "lots of really difficult issues" in the United States, "You have billions of us who are rooting for you and we know you're going to come through."

McCartney also thanked the other artists, saying it was "inspiring" to hear their interpretations of his music.

Then he said he would play a song he'd been "Itching to do at the White House," adding, "I hope the president will forgive me." Then launched into a spirited rendition of "Michelle."

At the end of the song he took a bow and your pool had to leave. As we were wrangled out we heard McCartney joke he'd be "the first guy ever to be punched out by a president," then start in on "Eleanor Rigby."

When we got back to the briefing room we saw McCartney joke his daughter Mary once whistled while at the royal ranch. (She was whistling during concert). He then played "Let it be" and "Hey Jude."

The White House provided us cream programs with a yellow tassel and emblazoned with the presidential seal. It listed the program as "Selections by" the following artists:
Corinne Bailey Rae
Elvis Costello
Dave Grohl
Herbie Hancock
Emmylou Harris
Faith Hill
Jonas Brothers
Lang Lang
Jack White

For the rest of the program:

Emmylou Harris performed "For No One," which she admitted is a "sad" song. (It is.)
Jack White performed "Mother Nature's Son."
Corinne Bailey Rae sang "Blackbird."
Faith Hill performed "Long and Winding Road"

For the record, your pooler's favorite McCartney-sung Beatles song is "Paperback Writer."

Obama last year presented the same award to Stevie Wonder.

Some background from the White House: The prize commemorates George and Ira Gershwin, the legendary American songwriting team whose extensive manuscript collections reside in the Library of Congress. The prize is awarded to musicians whose lifetime contributions in the field of popular song exemplify the standard of excellence associated with the Gershwins.

And details on the broadcast from the Library of Congress: The program, to be taped by WETA Washington, D.C., as part of the “In Performance at the White House” series, will air on PBS stations nationwide on Wednesday, July 28, 2010, at 8 p.m. EDT (check local listings) as “Paul McCartney: The Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song In Performance at the White House.”

http://www.marineband.usmc.mil/WHO_WE_A ... cornet.htm

Trumpeter/cornetist Master Sergeant Matthew Harding joined “The President’s Own” United States Marine Band in September 1998. He was appointed solo cornetist in January 2000. MSgt Harding began his musical instruction at age 9. A 1992 graduate of Dartmouth High School, he earned his bachelor’s degree in music from the Eastman School of Music of the University of Rochester in Rochester, N.Y., and has completed one year of master’s-level study at Rice University in Houston. He has studied with John Martin of Boston, Eastman’s Charles Geyer, and Armando Ghitalla.

Prior to joining “The President’s Own,” MSgt Harding spent a year with the New World Symphony in Miami; toured Japan with the Eastman Wind Ensemble; and performed at the Aspen Music Festival in Colorado, Chautauqua Music Center in New York, and Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fla. He also was a fellow at the Tanglewood Music Center in Lenox, Mass.
cwr

Post by cwr »

I'm so glad that we're gonna hear EC's version of "Penny Lane"! I can't wait till the end of July!

Costello singing Beatles songs. I honestly couldn't get enough of that. Or Dylan songs.
jmm

Post by jmm »

I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
rachelhasen

Post by rachelhasen »

What? No drone jokes about killing innocent people?

Funny how we can delude ourselves that when one person kills, he is the kind who doesn't read books while he's killing, so he's bad, but the one who reads books while he's killing is a "hero," ... "so lay off?"

Music is "often an us against them proposition?" What on earth could have been on Elvis' mind when he said that? Catholic guilt? And what does it mean? Elvis will play music for "US," often, but not them? Who is them? Israel? The US is against Israel? Gasp! How is this possible?

In other news, yesterday the US was named in a UN report as "the world’s No. 1 user of targeted killings, largely as a result of its dependence on unmanned drone attacks in Pakistan and Afghanistan."

The report called the drone attacks part of a "strongly asserted but ill-defined license to kill without accountability," and warned that drone attacks "are contributing to an erosion of longstanding international rules governing warfare."

According to the report, "In the eight years of George W. Bush’s presidency, drones, attacked militant targets 45 times. Since President Obama took office, just slightly less than a year and a half ago, the numbers have risen sharply: 53 last year and 39 this year in Pakistan alone!

"Well, I say, at least Obama has kept his promise to spread US "overseas contingency operations" into Pakistan! Overseas contingency operations is basically doublespeak for WAR, for those, maybe Elvis, or Paul, who might have a conscience and sing and write silly peace songs? Obama is also racking up a higher number of casualties respective to time in office. No way! The man has a peace prize!

Of course the United Nations Charter says that "nothing ... shall impair the inherent right of individual or self-defense if an armed attack occurs against a full member of the United Nations." Well thank god for that! Whew!

But wait a minute, it is important to note here that Israel is the only country that is not allowed to be elected to all UN bodies, so they are, in effect, the only country that is not a full member. Could this be why so many refuse to acknowledge Israel's right of self-defense? What else might provoke Israel's suspicion of the UN?

http://christianactionforisrael.org/un/suspicious.html

I did like how the Pool Report article tells US what Michelle was wearing! Or was she? Maybe it was all just pretense? Maybe the emperor has no clothes?

And so the singers sang, and the jester betrayed his own tribe, and this night was the perfect antidote for all of the poison that you wrote!

But one thing for sure, music hath charms to soothe a savage beast, as, in Obama's own words, "part of what gets us through tough times (aka war) is music!"

And so the singers sang, ... like marionettes on the thinnest of string!
CraigatCoF

Post by CraigatCoF »

Some video of EC and the gang performing Hey Jude:
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/vid ... e-10811289
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.hellomagazine.com/celebritie ... rtney/1/3/

Last year's recipient, Stevie Wonder, shares a moment with Elvis Costello at the ceremony
Photo: © Getty Images
Judge Holden

Post by Judge Holden »

Great photo, thanks.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

CraigatCoF wrote:Some video of EC and the gang performing Hey Jude:

THANKS! but, why is EC singing when it's girls time??? :shock: :lol: :roll:
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:
CraigatCoF wrote:Some video of EC and the gang performing Hey Jude:

THANKS! but, why is EC singing when it's girls time??? :shock: :lol: :roll:
hah I noticed that too. (maybe since Lady Gaga is rumored to be a man, it turns out EC is actually a woman).

Also: Jack White looks like Michael Jackson. And Stevie Wonder is really really fat.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Please God, let the Elvis version of Penny Lane appear on YouTube as soon as possible. The song's open-hearted cheeriness would be a rare mood for Elvis - although, thinking about it, he's done his own Penny Lane - that wistfully nostalgic masterpiece, London's Brilliant Parade.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

What a great combination of fan-hood - Elvis + Paul + Barack + Michelle... But no one can top Barack & Michelle. They are the coolest couple in town! Man, I love our president and his wife!
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

MOJO wrote:... But no one can top Barack & Michelle. They are the coolest couple in town! Man, I love our president and his wife!
of course in the UK we have Dave and Nick - cue politically incorrect remark of your own choosing ...

Colin Top Balcony (on a keyboard 100 meters from Penny Lane)
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Ah! but the important question is- Did they get a night in the Lincoln Bedroom?
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Michelle 'n Elvis singing Hey Jude with all the other girls...

I got this from the few clips on youTube. It wasn't possible to get a similar Elvis 'n Barack photo. Maybe the PBS broadcast will offer that opportunity.