Elvis to play Richard DeLone benefit, Oct. 1 '10

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis to play Richard DeLone benefit, Oct. 1 '10

Post by bronxapostle »

bronxapostle wrote:EC should do MY HEART HURTS and Nick should do ALL THE RAGE.............
come on folks...less than twelve hours to show time. let's see more guesses/requests/ideas on what should be done!!!
ahawkman

Post by ahawkman »

I'd like to see a "book" exchange.... Elvis doing When I Write the Book and Nick doing Every Day I Write the Book. Also American Squirm!
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

From Twitter :
Listening to Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe soundchecking Oliver's Army together.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

ahawkman wrote:I'd like to see a "book" exchange.... Elvis doing When I Write the Book and Nick doing Every Day I Write the Book. Also American Squirm!
NICE book concept, ahawk. and, they GOTTA KNOW it would be a crime for them to omit SQUIRM!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

EarlManchester wrote:From Twitter :
Listening to Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe soundchecking Oliver's Army together.
hey Earl...as a NON twitterer; is there a chance we will get a live update of setlists? thanks, b
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

bronxapostle wrote:hey Earl...as a NON twitterer; is there a chance we will get a live update of setlists? thanks, b
As a non-twitterer myself, I just search twitter for EC:
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

...which reveals this!

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

N.D.?? Nicholas Drain? ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Lowe )
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

If that is the set list from the performance, most impressive as an overview-must have been quite a show to attend! What a nice way to compliment the catalog of each performer.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Nick Lowe & Elvis Costello at The Great American Music Hall
Friday, October 1, 2010

By JOEL SELVIN

Nick Lowe shook his head. “Fabulous reading,” he said, blown away like every other fan in the house, only with a better seat. Lowe stood on stage Friday at the Great American Music Hall and watched his old mate Elvis Costello sit at the piano and transform Lowe’s “I’m a Mess,” from his 2001 album “The Convincer,” into a heart-scraping, wrenching cry of despair.

“Fabulous reading,” he repeated, as amazed as everyone else at the sold out benefit.

“Costello Sings Lowe/Nick Sings Elvis” read the marquee outside. In his fourth annual fundraiser, Mill Valley pianist Austin de Lone, once again, presented his longtime associate, Elvis Costello, in a special, one-time-only nightclub performance on behalf of a housing project for children who suffer from Prader-Willi syndrome, like de Lone’s son, a disorder that leaves its victims perpetually hungry.

De Lone’s benefit has become part of the Hardly Strictly weekend in San Francisco, tucked into the festival’s off-night, with Costello and Lowe conveniently in town to perform at the free music festival over the weekend in Golden Gate Park. Marin County rockers Bonnie Raitt and Sammy Hagar were among the sold out house at the first of two performances.

Perhaps not surprisingly, both Costello and Lowe suited the other’s material to their own style. Lowe took more genial, low-key turns through Costello songs such as “Mystery Dance” or “Poison Rose” than the more urgent versions by Costello. His lovely, lithe version of “Alison” followed some recollections of serving as producer on the first three Elvis Costello albums.

“I smoked cigarettes,” he said, “told the odd joke and watched Declan make his records.”

Lowe dedicated the song to John Ciambotti, bass player for the Marin County rock group Clover that backed Costello on his first album, “My Aim Is True.” Ciambotti, who died earlier this year, participated in a reunion with Clover and Costello at the first de Lone benefit four years ago.

Costello brought his trademark intensity to the little known “Don’t Lose Your Grip On Love,” from Lowe’s Brinsley Schwartz days. He slowed down Lowe’s “Cruel To Be Kind” and gave the final choruses a kind of Van Morrison sha-la-la treatment. His version of Lowe’s punkish “Heart Of the City” gave the song new life. Their inevitable finale of the Nick Lowe song Elvis made famous, “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding,” was the crowning touch.

The two plumbed the far reaches of each other’s catalog, not just the obvious, easy choices. There were music stands everywhere on stage and the occasional bobbled lyric, but the crowd of hard core fans hung on every line and cheered at every opportunity.

Elvis and Nick gave them plenty to cheer about.

Strumming matching acoustic guitars, Costello and Lowe launched with a rollicking “Here Comes the Weekend,” the Dave Edmunds song Lowe used to sing with him in Rockpile. With Costello following with Lowe’s “When I Write the Book” and Lowe countering with Costello’s “Home Is Anywhere You Hang Your Head,” the two began trading off versions of each other’s song, especially reworked for the occasion.

Costello, wearing a rumpled suit, tilted his straw pork pie hat precipitously. Snowy-haired Lowe, also wearing thick horn-rimmed glasses, looked like nothing so much as a schoolteacher on holiday.

Behind these two demented Neverly Brothers was a six-piece band that included guitarist Bill Kirchen, whose twangy filigree decorated almost every song, and keyboardist Bob Andrew, who played with Lowe in the Paleolithic era of British pub rock with Brinsley Schwartz. Before the evening was over, all the other musicians sang their favorite Lowe and Costello songs as well (keyboardist Andrews did a killer, New Orleans-style version of Lowe’s “I Love the Sound of Breaking Glass”).
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

So -- allow me to report that Ruth Davies is a bad-ass.

(I had been entirely unaware of her, previously.)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Interesting preview -

http://www.marinij.com/rss/ci_16222609?source=rss

Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe sing each other's tunes in benefit concert

Paul Liberatore

09/30/2010

Marin's own Austin de Lone has put together what the concert industry trade magazine Pollstar predicts "just might be the most intriguing concert you'll see this year."

That's saying something on the weekend of the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival, when many of the biggest names in the music business are in town, sharing stages in Golden Gate Park.

But then it isn't every day that Elvis Costello sings Nick Lowe's tunes, and vice versa. De Lone, who'll be playing keyboards in their backing band, calls it "a rare bashing of each other's songs."

"I don't know why we hadn't thought about it before," Costello said.

They've certainly had a long time to ponder it.

"I've known Nick since 1972," Costello said. "He won't thank me for reminding him."

Billed as "Costello Sings Lowe/Nick Sings Elvis," the Oct. 1 shows, at 8 and 11 p.m. at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco, are the fourth annual benefit concerts for the Richard de Lone Special Housing Project. The Marin-based nonprofit supports a group home for those, like de Lone's son, who are afflicted with Prader-Willi Syndrome, a rare genetic disorder. Tickets are still available for the late show.

"Obviously, we've got a lot of history together, but we've never tackled anything like this," Lowe said last week from his home in London.

Lowe, who's had hits with "I Love the Sound of Breaking Glass" and the Top 40 single "Cruel to Be Kind," first met the 56-year-old Costello when he was still Declan

MacManus, "a strange-looking kid" (his words), a fan who used to follow around Brinsley Schwarz, Lowe's 1970s English pub rock band.

After they became friends, Lowe produced Costello's early albums, including the breakthrough "My Aim is True," featuring a backing band of Marin musicians from the country rock group Clover. He met de Lone when de Lone was in Britain playing in the Marin-born pub rock band Eggs Over Easy.

Costello had one of his biggest hits in the '70s with "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding," which Lowe wrote. In 1985, Lowe turned around and recorded Costello's "Indoor Fireworks."

"I'm madly curious to hear Nick's take on the songs I've written, and hopefully he won't think too badly of me if I hijack some of his songs and take them in a different direction," Costello said. "I don't want to sound like Nick Lowe karaoke. I've got to put a spin on a couple of them."

I think it's a safe guess that "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding" will be the closing duet. Other than that, neither of them would reveal their set list, but hinted that they'll be picking some of the more obscure tunes from their respective catalogs.

"I think my songs are much easier than his," Lowe allowed. "Mine are like 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' compared to his. So I've been wrestling away with his large number of chords and words. It's kind of my fault because I've been able to choose which songs I like. There's one or two I really love that are quite difficult, especially for someone like me."

For Lowe, 61, this weekend will be the start of his first full-band tour of the United States in a decade. He'll play the first concert of the tour at the Woods, formerly the Masonic Hall, on Oct. 2 in Mill Valley. He plays at 4:40 p.m. Oct. 3 at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass.

Costello is gearing up for the Oct. 25 release of his new album, "National Ransom," with his band, the Sugarcanes. The Los Angeles Times says he "mines a century's worth of pop music history in both the characters, scenarios and themes in his songs, and in the atmospheric sound that producer T Bone Burnett has given the record." He and the Sugarcanes play at 3:05 p.m. Oct. 3 at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass. Costello is also on the bill for Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit on Oct. 23.

But it's the Oct. 1 benefit for de Lone's project that the old friends believe will be a truly special evening.

"This is the fourth event, and I've played some part in three of them," Costello said. "We make such unique musical evenings, and there's such a good feeling at them. People are good enough to buy tickets, so we try to give them something unique. The shows I've been involved in have all been amazing."
blureu

Post by blureu »

Which other years did Elvis participate in the benefit besides the 07 Clover reunion?
ramalama

Post by ramalama »

Can anyone chime in as to whether the late set was the same as the photographed (of what I presume was the) early show set? Any guest stars? I hope not, given the prospect that someone else would contaminate the chemistry of the moment.

I was at the early show in the dining section. We each got a laminate pass to wear around our necks, so I was in a state of Wayne's World geekiness for the rest of the night. Plus my date bought a fantastic vintage Get Happy poster (light bulb outlne, skull face, Elvis glasses and eyes), and my brother got Elvis-crafted, signed and numbered art.

For someone who did not know the artists, I'm sure they would have thought this was a very nice show. However, for the Elvis/Nick fan (because there is not one without the other), this was a concert of pure joy. Had I not gone to the show, and then read that they did Here Comes the Weekend as the first song, I would have done myself in. All that brain power I wasted struggling to imagine how they would start off, and out of left field came the perfect springboard.

Reading the song titles does not do the show justice. There was no sense of borrowing; each man owned these songs that just happened to appear on the other guy's album. Nick tended to Nick-afy the arrangements, Mystery Dance in particular, which I found the most fun. Yet as weird as it sounds, the song that hit me the most was the song where the stars did the least: Austin DeLone's performance of Lover Don't Go, with our heroes chiming in on somber backing vocals for the chorus.

I can't believe it happened. I can't believe I was there.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Thanks, Ramalama, for the great account. I think I speak for the whole world outside San Francisco when I say we're really jealous of all of you who got to go to this remarkable show, but we're glad you were there to see it. Sounds like it was pretty amazing!

If you wouldn't mind, could you please elaborate about this ...
ramalama wrote:and my brother got Elvis-crafted, signed and numbered art.
What ist it? A painting? A print? hand-woven potholders? A birdhouse? I'm dying to know.

Thnx,
Ypsi
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
ramalama

Post by ramalama »

It was a stylized letters on a white background that said 'Elvis & Nick" with his signature in the lower right hand corner. I'll try to get him to scan it.
ramalama

Post by ramalama »

In response to blureu, in addition to this year and the MAIT show, Elvis appeared for the encore in T-Bone's 2006 show.

Elvis came on for the encore. 3 collective songs, though no duets.

1. Don't Lie to Me (Elvis vocal)
2. Flag Song? (Elvis vocal: T-Bone said it was the first time he'd heard it; "I hope someone had a tape recorder going." Elvis claimed he'd just come up with it.)
3. Bon Temps Rouler (T-Bone vocal)
jmm

Post by jmm »

blureu wrote:Which other years did Elvis participate in the benefit besides the 07 Clover reunion?

EC opened and guested at the 2008 "Guitar, Bass and Drum" shows featuring Ry Cooder, Nick Lowe and Jim Keltner

I got to the Friday show which was amazing -- even without EC who pushed it further over the top by premiering new songs including Doc Watson, I Presume

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _Francisco

I do not think the T-Bone show was a part of this benefit series as the MAIT shows were the first ones. He certainly has been at HSBG more then just for these benefits and a few years back told me he thought it was the best festival in the world right now. I also remain conviced that the whole Surgarcanes excursion has grown from HSBG (not that I really know).
Last edited by jmm on Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
jmm

Post by jmm »

Was lucky enough to have made the trip to SF for the early show last night at GAMH. What a special night for Elvis and Nick to show the respect they have for each other and obviously enjoy the interaction / novelty of the night.

I went in hoping EC would sing Cruel to be Kind and I'm a Mess (turned out with EC on piano no less). They were highlights, as was I Trained Her to Love Me and When I Write the Book (which I hoped Nick would answer with Everyday I Write the Book, but no)! The Nick song choices were balanced between the older and newer portions of the catalouge.

Nick's versions of EC's songs were often slowed down and stripped down as so much of his music is these days. This really allowed the lyrics to shine through on songs like Poisoned Rose, Mystery Dance and Oliver's Army. The only "newish" EC song in the set was Monkey to Man which was sung by Bill Kirchen - much to the delight of the band (and crowd).

In introducing Alison Nick said something to the effect of "I was lucky enough to land the steady gig of producing Declan's records for awhile in the 70s and 80s. It was a great job since I showed up, smoked cigarettes, made jokes and just watched him make these great records. This song was from the first one."

In particular it seemed that they liked the other's take on I Trained Her to Love Me and Poisoned Rose -- Heart of the City was great with both of them too

If I have a small bone to pick it was no recent EC by Nick - for instance Crooked Line or Flutter and Wow (amongst many others) might have been nice additions. And of course they might have played for days and not have exhausted our willingness to listen.

The band was great, especially Bill K!

Someone was filming the show (looked official although low key, single camera I could see) so maybe audio / video will appear at some point??

Really a great and unique night. I even got an "eyes poster" autographed by all of the band. Extraordinary and for a GREAT cause the Prader-Willi Syndrome Foundation

Here is hoping Nick and EC show up during each others sets at HSBG tomorrow. At least the schedule makers didn't conflict them as they did with some others (e.g. EC and Rosanne Cash) who I expect would have guested with each other.
Last edited by jmm on Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Home Is Anywhere You hang Your Head (partial) / Monkey To Man : ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Ju5XYCP-0 )
Home Is Anywhere You hang Your Head (partial): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLgrCPbwZEY
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Fantastic stuff and worthy of my jealousy you lucky lucky people!!

Were there any differences in the second show?

I bet Elvis rehearsed a lot more songs than were played.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

ramalama wrote:It was a stylized letters on a white background that said 'Elvis & Nick" with his signature in the lower right hand corner. I'll try to get him to scan it.
If possible, yes please...I'd love to see it!
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
Shatteredmannequin

Post by Shatteredmannequin »

Wow.

That looks like it was an amazing show. What an experience for those lucky enough to be there.