Pomp & Pout: Best of The Universal Years -release cancelled?

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Re: Pomp & Pout: Best of The Universal Years -release cancel

Post by sweetest punch »

Neil. wrote:Sounds like a good stategy, pulling Pomp and Pout... we don't want mixed messages coming out of the Costello camp! American Ransom should defo take top priority - Pomp can wait till 2011.
Amazon in the UK has now a Jan 31, 2011 releasedate: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pomp-Pout-Elvis ... 073&sr=1-1
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Personally there's not enough there to persuade me to buy it.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Itunes USA has now a februari 8,2011 releasedate: http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/pom ... d382286519
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Amazon Canada have taken my order . I'll update regarding notification of delays/actual arrival of disc here!

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003UFV ... ss_product
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Personally there's not enough there to persuade me to buy it.
i guess it ain't being released for us blowhards. er, sorry...i mean diehards! do what i do....wait it out until you get it for $5 including shipping at ebay! who cares the wait if we have every song already (nine to twelve times or MORE!!!)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The song-by-song commentary by Elvis (I can't find where I read about it but I'm sure I did somewhere) is , for me, the biggest attraction of the package.
cwr

Post by cwr »

I don't recall ever seeing a "song-by-song commentary" mentioned, but that would be pretty much the only thing (other than the sequencing chosen by Elvis) that would differentiate this collection from a mix CD that any of us could make from the CDs we already own.

I hope there IS a commentary, or some kind of detailed liner notes, because I'd love to read some of EC's current thoughts on the music of his oddest and most eclectic period. It won't be enough to get me to buy a copy, but I'm sure I'll get to read the notes one way or another...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Amazon Canada are now advising -

Shipping estimate: Oct 18 2010 - Oct 21 2010
Delivery estimate: Jan 18 2011 - Jan 20 2011

......so that doesn't look good.
krm

Post by krm »

just as NR it can now be found on several illegal download sites. So, is it released or not? or is it just a fan who hoaxes around with a home made compilation?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

...and now this -

Greetings from Amazon.ca!

We thought you'd like to know we shipped your items, and that this completes your order.

The suspense of it!
bil1cat

Post by bil1cat »

I have the cd, no track by track discription, just a new photo from the diner video shoot.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Rats!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://musictap.net/2010/11/07/release- ... -costello/

November 7, 2010

The oft-delayed and much anticipated Elvis Costello compilation, Pomp & Pout: The Universal Years, originally scheduled for several summer dates in 2010 by Hip-O Select, now has a new date in place. And it shifts into 2011. The new date for this 18-track compilation culled from Costello’s years with Universal is now February 8. Mark those calendars…again.

...which reminds me, I better drop Amazon Canada a line and see where the disc they 'shipped' to me on Oct. 13th is.

Edit - this tracking info. is curious!

Ship Carrier: DHL
Tracking ID: --
Latest Event: Dublin
Undeliverable - Oct 29, 2010 12:16:00 PM

That was lunch time last friday week. I was certainly available to receive stuff.

The plot thickens!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

After a few e-mail exchanges with Amazon Canada I think it's safe to say that the order has been cancelled and I don't see myself ever using them again. I look forward to the refund - in 'four weeks' time.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

bil1cat wrote:I have the cd, no track by track discription, just a new photo from the diner video shoot.
Can you post a picture of it as you're probably the only person in the world with a copy.

And it'll make Mr Foyle jealous :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

Did we ever get confirmation that this was or was not released in Canada?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

It was. It's difficult to get outside Canada because a certain online supplier uses a delivery company that cannot read address labels....don't get me started!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

This release seems to have a new releasedate in the US: March 29, 2011 ( http://www.amazon.com/Pomp-Pout-Univers ... 226&sr=1-2 )
History History

Post by History History »

Amazon uk has sent me this:
Pomp & Pout
Elvis Costello (Artist) | Format: Audio CD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Price: £8.99 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions
Special Offers Available
Pre-order Price Guarantee. Learn more.

o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

This title will be released on January 31, 2011.

Also, Record Collector Magazine has a review of Pomp & Pout in its latest issue.
watercamp

Post by watercamp »

Didn't realize that this was not available anywhere else.
I walked into a local mall HMV in Montreal back in October and there it was.
No liner notes, just lyrics and one photo.
Attachments
PAP inside tray card sm.jpg
PAP inside tray card sm.jpg (167.45 KiB) Viewed 21368 times
PAP outside tray card sm.jpg
PAP outside tray card sm.jpg (238.46 KiB) Viewed 21368 times
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

At the risk of confusing things further, Amazon.co.uk are currently listing an import version of this album as an SHM-CD, for the bargain price of GBP 41.66.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pomp-Pout-Unive ... B004LPHVXY

This apparently had a release date of 19 April 2011, but no track listing is given.

They are also listing the 18 track Hip-O label release on import, but don't have any in stock and don't quote a price. Can anyone explain why one might want to pay so much for an SHM-CD (were it available)? Amazon.co.uk are also listing a similarly priced SACD import version of MAIT with a release date of 27 April 2011.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Aim-True-Elv ... B004LPHWK6

Is anyone here buying these over-priced reissues?

MOOT
millaa

Post by millaa »

This is a Japanese release, hence the high price but it seems this one has been postponed as well...

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/3877804
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Anyone have any insight as to what the hell happened with POMP AND POUT, anyways? Okay, perhaps it's not that surprising that Universal would elect not to bother to release a set with such limited commercial potential at a time the CD retail industry was absolutely collapsing. But what was up with the Canadian copies that made it into retail outlets? Was it actually released in Canada officially (if briefly), or was the CD withdrawn at the last moment, but a few copies mistakenly ended up in the distribution pipeline? And I don't really see the point of canceling the release after they had already made the investment of manufacturing the set. Sometimes you can pin these situations on the artist having a change of heart, but in this case, it seems unlikely that EC would have somehow put the brakes on it (after all, it only featured previously released material, so it was a very different situation than other famous withdrawn albums like Prince's BLACK ALBUM).

Did any copies with the US track listing ever end up in anyone's collection? My copy (from Canada) has the international track sequence. The copies that show up from time to time on eBay and Amazon Marketplace are starting to command a real premium. Just think how much they'd fetch if they featured anything unique on them?
cwr

$358 for a copy of Pomp & Pout: Best of The Universal Years

Post by cwr »

Let's see if there is an Elvis Costello collector in the world who is willing to bid almost 400 dollars for a rare copy of this cancelled compilation release?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elvis-Costello- ... 6016.l4276