UK tour 2010

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

UK tour 2010

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/97185/9

Elvis Costello Announces UK Tour & Tickets

New Wave singer and songwriter Declan MacManus, although you may know him as Elvis Costello, has announced a short series of UK dates for this June.

So far, the short-tour will begin in Birmingham on June 21st and move onto Oxford’s New Theatre two days later. Next up is St Davids Hall in Cardiff on June 24th before heading to the Philharmonic Hall in Liverpool on June 28th. With only four dates so far listed for the tour, it is expected that more dates are to be unveiled shortly.

Coming into the music scene back in the mid-1970’s whilst playing on London’s pub rock scene, Elvis Costello later became associated with the New Wave musical genre.

Achieving considerable chart succes with his songs steeped in word play, the vocabulary within Elvis Costello’s lyrics is broader than that of most popular songs. Drawing on many musical genres throughout his career, he has been decribed as a “pop encyclopedia”, able to “reinvent the past in his own image”.

Forming his band The Attractions in the late 70s, his albums have ranged freely across genres and earned him the label of one of the most respected composers of the modern era. Tearing through rock’s back pages taking whatever he wanted, as well as borrowing from country, Tin Pan Alley pop, raggae and many other musical genres with his richly diverse lyrics Costello emerged as one of the most innovative, influential and best songwriters since Bob Dylan.

Elvis Costello will play the following UK dates:

June 2010

21st Symphony Hall, Birmingham
23rd New Theatre, Oxford
24th St Davids Hall, Cardiff
28th Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool

More dates to follow shortly.

Tickets are availbale from 9am on Friday 26th March.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Re: UK tour 2010

Post by scielle »

Wow. Whoever 'wrote' that story swiped it straight from Wikipedia. Quality journalism.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Shall I start a rumour Elvis is supporting Macca at Hyde Park.

I made that up by the way, but he will be touring at the same time so it's possible.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Why does he insist on having gigs the same day as big footie matches?
signed with love and vicious kisses
buzz

Post by buzz »

Agree with the above. He's in my local town Oxford while I'm in Cape Town at the footie. We clearly haven't co-ordinated out diaries!
Hopefully other dates will follow.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

From the Liverpool Echo a somewhat exaggerated account of his trip to the 'Pool to around his Mum's birthday if the other dates in this tread are to be believed:
ELVIS Costello has announced that his only UK concert will be in Liverpool.

The singer, who was christened in Birkenhead and finished school in Liverpool, will play the Philharmonic Hall on Monday June 28, ahead of his world tour.

Speaking exclusively to the ECHO he said:. “I grew up partly in London, partly in Liverpool, but it’s Liverpool that really feels like home.

“On this tour I was desperate to play in the city, but the schedule wasn’t right. We’ve moved that around now, and I’m delighted to be returning to the Phil.”

Elvis played a sold-out gig at the concert hall with the Philharmonic Orchestra in 2008, but this time he will be playing with his band.

...can't wait....

Colin Top Balcony
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

When was the last time EC played solo shows in the UK?? 1986??

Will I meet Mr Top Balcony, Sulky Lad and Mr Foyle again in Liverpool perhaps?
John

Post by John »

Mikeh wrote:When was the last time EC played solo shows in the UK?? 1986??
I remember him touring Spike solo (with Nick Lowe as support) in 1989.

The Liverpool show is being advertised with The Sugarcanes

http://www.liverpoolphil.com/3202/event ... canes.html

I shall be ringing to book two tickets on Friday.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Will I meet Mr Top Balcony, Sulky Lad and Mr Foyle again in Liverpool perhaps?
On June 28th I'll be back in Zambia doing more voluntary work. Otherwise...!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Verbal and I will be definitely doing Oxford and Birmingham and I can't really see me missing Liverpool and Cardiff -
Flash recorder and DAT at the ready !!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I presume this is either with the Imposters or the Sugarcanes, though even if it isn't I'll be happy to see him solo!
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

I juts booked my Liverpool ticket trough Ticketline. Got Row A. Don't need to wait til Friday to book!
oliversa1

Post by oliversa1 »

Just got mine also on Row A. Get in.
Don't Start Me Talking, I Could Talk All Night.
sheeptotheslaughter

so lacklustre wrote:Why does he insist on having gigs the same day as big footie matches?

Elvis supports Ireland so he won't be watching the World Cup. (maybe)
I know when he played the Festival Hall a few years back England were playing a World Cup qualifier against Turkey I think. We went there around 8 thinking he wouldn't start too early as he'd be watching the match but he had already been on 30 minutes when we got there.
Oh for the good old days when he'd come on 10.30/11.30 and you'd miss the last tube/bus home.

Still no London dates announced I see. Pull your finger out ELv
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Big thanks for the notice about Ticketline - Mr and Mrs Top Balcony will be joining in the fun from Row F, centre aisle seats
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

At the risk of stating the obvious, Richard Thompson is curating the Meltdown festival at the Southbank Centre in London this year.

EC is a former Meltdown curator. Meltdown runs from Friday 11th - Sunday 20th June. EC plays Symphony Hall in Birmingham on Monday 21 June, so my money would be on a Meltdown appearance on either the 19th or 20th of June probably without the Sugarcanes. This might be his only London date(s). Watch this space...

http://meltdown.southbankcentre.co.uk/about/
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Diana plays Kenwood in London on July 10th - last year Elvis made an appearance at her show. Presumably he will be in town that week.
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

sheeptotheslaughter wrote:
so lacklustre wrote:Why does he insist on having gigs the same day as big footie matches?

I know when he played the Festival Hall a few years back England were playing a World Cup qualifier against Turkey I think. We went there around 8 thinking he wouldn't start too early as he'd be watching the match but he had already been on 30 minutes when we got there.
Oh for the good old days when he'd come on 10.30/11.30 and you'd miss the last tube/bus home.

He does (or did) support England - why wouldn't he? - made that clear at a gig in Dublin during Euro 96 - the night England went out to Germany in the semis. Started late, got updates on the score and penalty shoot-out, and looked disapprovingly at the crowd who cheered when he anounced the result.
John

Post by John »

Just booked my tickets. John and Mrs John can be added to the Liverpool list. Row H.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This rather confusing listing has appeared on Elvis' site -

http://www.elviscostello.com/#tour

21 June 2010 Birmingham - UK Symphony Hall
Elvis Costello (Solo)

23 June 2010 Oxford - UK New Theatre
Elvis Costello (Solo)

24 June 2010 Cardiff - UK St Davids Hall
Elvis Costello (Solo)

24 June 2010 Liverpool - UK Philharmonic Hall
Elvis Costello and The Sugarcanes
sheeptotheslaughter

Ulster Boy wrote:
sheeptotheslaughter wrote:

He does (or did) support England - why wouldn't he? - made that clear at a gig in Dublin during Euro 96 - the night England went out to Germany in the semis. Started late, got updates on the score and penalty shoot-out, and looked disapprovingly at the crowd who cheered when he anounced the result.

Im sure Ive seen him live saying he supported Ireland and dedicate Green Shirt to Liverpool Irish players in the past. That would have been before 96 tho round the Ronnie Whelan time. Maybe he supports both he always makes a big thing of his Irish heritage especially when he was with Cait. What I was trying to say tho is if England are playing those nights don't expect him to put the start back.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

johnfoyle wrote:This rather confusing listing has appeared on Elvis' site -

http://www.elviscostello.com/#tour

21 June 2010 Birmingham - UK Symphony Hall
Elvis Costello (Solo)

23 June 2010 Oxford - UK New Theatre
Elvis Costello (Solo)

24 June 2010 Cardiff - UK St Davids Hall
Elvis Costello (Solo)

24 June 2010 Liverpool - UK Philharmonic Hall
Elvis Costello and The Sugarcanes
http://www.elviscostello.com :
Elvis Costello Announces UK Tour Dates
"Elvis Costello and the Sugarcanes show at the Liverpool Philharmonic Hall on June 28th is presently their only appearance in the U.K."
Concerts at the Birmingham Symphony Hall on June 21st, Oxford New Theatre on June 23rd and St. David's Hall, Cardiff on June 24th are all Elvis Costello solo concerts, following on from highly acclaimed such shows in Australia and Canada.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

[quote="sheeptotheslaughter"]quote]

Quite possibly, his "Irishness" seemed to wax and wane a bit. I suppose the 96 game was a particularly big one, as England v Germany at Wembley, in a semi-final, was a biggie. IIRC the barn next door to the Stadium was showing the match on a big screen and many punters drifted in to the gig late. But agree, unlikely these days a gig would be put back just cos there's a match on.
sheeptotheslaughter

[quote="Ulster Boy"][quote="sheeptotheslaughter"]quote]

Quite possibly, his "Irishness" seemed to wax and wane a bit.

Bit like the Cockney/Scouse punk accent of the early days.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I was hoping for July, to coincide with my trip to London. I fear I shall never get to see The Sugarcanes.