National Ransom - November 2010

Pretty self-explanatory
thepopeofpop

Re: National Ransom - New Album Due Nov. 2

Post by thepopeofpop »

docinwestchester wrote:Think he'll play Letterman or Leno?
Letterman and Conan more likely.
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.craveonline.com/entertainmen ... som-114697

Elvis Costello: National Ransom

A surprisingly solid, yet unpredictable record featuring some of Costello's best material to date.

by Iann Robinson
Oct 19, 2010

(extract)

I love when an album like National Ransom drops so close to the end of the year, it completely disrupts my top ten plans. This is a dark album, a bright album, a jazz record, a folk record, an experimental record and a straight rock record. How many albums this year have even come close to that kind of variation? If I had to criticize anything it would be the disconnect that Elvis Costello still seems to have. It feels at times like he’s observing himself making this album instead of being invested in it. That’s always been part of what people love about Costello, I’m just not one of them. Regardless of nitpicking, National Ransom is a flawless effort from a man who, unlike most of his peers, has gotten better with age.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Elvis is not only observing himself on this album, he's interviewing himself about it too :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
John

Post by John »

The dilemma is whether to order from Amazon/Play or venture out to a record shop on Monday morning and pay an inflated price. I will probably do the latter and then enjoy lots of long car trips out during half-term week with National Ransom the only CD in the car. The kids will thank me one day?
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I'm probably going to wander into a record shop on Monday during my lunch break, pick up five copies and send them out to some friends. I feel the urge to spruik this album.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Lot's of promotion for the new album:
http://mashable.com/2010/10/20/elvis-co ... promotion/

Elvis Costello Turns to Social Media to Promote Upcoming Album

British singer-songwriter Elvis Costello — who got his start in the days of early punk and new wave — is releasing a new album that he’ll be promoting through a variety of digital methods, including live concert streaming and a social networking-driven scavenger hunt.

Costello’s latest project, National Ransom, will come out on November 2 in the U.S., but publicity surrounding the album will kick off in high gear on October 25 — the same day as its UK release. That’s when the album will be available for a full-week stream on ColbertNation.com. While Costello will be making the usual rounds on the late night talk circuit by appearing on shows like The Colbert Report and Late Night With Jimmy Fallon, he will also be teaming up with public radio and online livestreaming outlets.

On November 1, Costello will perform with his six-piece band, the Sugarcanes, in The Greene Space at New York City’s WNYC. The concert will stream live at 8 p.m. ET on WNYC.org/TheGreeneSpace, with some help from Ustream, which did its first multiview concert stream with the Zac Brown Band last month. A four-song excerpt from Costello’s concert will air two days after the stream on WNYC’s The Leonard Lopate Show. The singer-songwriter and his band will also tape an in-studio performance for AOL Sessions.

The day the album drops will mark the day for a full-set show Costello will tape for PBS’s Live from the Artists Den, which should air in early 2011. Costello will be releasing several pairs of tickets for this particular show via a New York City-based Foursquare scavenger hunt. Further information about this game has yet to be revealed.

Costello’s social networking activity isn’t just limited to the upcoming scavenger hunt — he already has a Twitter account and Facebook page in place. A spokesperson told Mashable that Costello’s website features numerous easter eggs, and fans have been given clues to find them via Facebook and Twitter. Being that Costello is a longtime performer who hasn’t been shy to touch upon other musical genres like classical or jazz, it seems to make sense that he’d be willing to use social networking and other digital technology to promote his newest endeavors.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Adam from Oz

Post by Adam from Oz »

Jeremy Dylan wrote:I'm probably going to wander into a record shop on Monday during my lunch break, pick up five copies and send them out to some friends. I feel the urge to spruik this album.
I picked it up today during my lunch break in Canberra at an indie record store (Landspeed). It was a lazy $20.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

One question : does it ever happen that an album, officially to be released on a Monday, appears in shops at the weekend before ?
I'm asking because a friend of mine currently living in UK is going to visit me next week, but he's got a plane on Sunday, 24th of October.
I wonder if there is any chance he could pick up National Ransom on Saturday ...
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
blureu

Post by blureu »

He also did a session for WFUV yesterday:

"Listening to the new Elvis Costello album. It's such a combination of his entire career. I'll be interviewing him this afternoon!"

http://twitter.com/RitaHoustonWFUV/status/27845899940

"Soundcheck! That's Elvis Costello."

http://twitter.com/RitaHoustonWFUV/status/27863624096
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

invisible Pole wrote:One question : does it ever happen that an album, officially to be released on a Monday, appears in shops at the weekend before ?
I'm asking because a friend of mine currently living in UK is going to visit me next week, but he's got a plane on Sunday, 24th of October.
I wonder if there is any chance he could pick up National Ransom on Saturday ...
Never seen them in the shops early.

A couple of times CDs I've ordered online for Monday release have got to me on the Saturday - Magic by the Boss, as I recall, was one. Might be a bit much expecting this to, though!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

sweetest punch wrote:Lot's of promotion for the new album:
http://mashable.com/2010/10/20/elvis-co ... promotion/

Elvis Costello Turns to Social Media to Promote Upcoming Album

British singer-songwriter Elvis Costello — who got his start in the days of early punk and new wave — is releasing a new album that he’ll be promoting through a variety of digital methods, including live concert streaming and a social networking-driven scavenger hunt.

Costello’s latest project, National Ransom, will come out on November 2 in the U.S., but publicity surrounding the album will kick off in high gear on October 25 — the same day as its UK release. That’s when the album will be available for a full-week stream on ColbertNation.com. While Costello will be making the usual rounds on the late night talk circuit by appearing on shows like The Colbert Report and Late Night With Jimmy Fallon, he will also be teaming up with public radio and online livestreaming outlets.

On November 1, Costello will perform with his six-piece band, the Sugarcanes, in The Greene Space at New York City’s WNYC. The concert will stream live at 8 p.m. ET on WNYC.org/TheGreeneSpace, with some help from Ustream, which did its first multiview concert stream with the Zac Brown Band last month. A four-song excerpt from Costello’s concert will air two days after the stream on WNYC’s The Leonard Lopate Show. The singer-songwriter and his band will also tape an in-studio performance for AOL Sessions.

The day the album drops will mark the day for a full-set show Costello will tape for PBS’s Live from the Artists Den, which should air in early 2011. Costello will be releasing several pairs of tickets for this particular show via a New York City-based Foursquare scavenger hunt. Further information about this game has yet to be revealed.

Costello’s social networking activity isn’t just limited to the upcoming scavenger hunt — he already has a Twitter account and Facebook page in place. A spokesperson told Mashable that Costello’s website features numerous easter eggs, and fans have been given clues to find them via Facebook and Twitter. Being that Costello is a longtime performer who hasn’t been shy to touch upon other musical genres like classical or jazz, it seems to make sense that he’d be willing to use social networking and other digital technology to promote his newest endeavors.
EXCITING TIMES!
oliversa1

Post by oliversa1 »

Received email (see below) from Lupe-O-Tone for chance to buy one of the rare signed and numbered 78's being released.

Lupe-O-Tone are very pleased to inform you that your name was chosen by
our special "Select-O-Matic" process from requests to purchase which were
dispatched by customers from Argentina to Tasmania.

If you follow the simple payment and shipping instructions below and this
unique, signed and numbered edition will soon be with you.

Can't wait for it to arrive!!!
Don't Start Me Talking, I Could Talk All Night.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Releases due for release in the U.K. on a Monday are , for some reason, always on sale here in Ireland from the previous Friday......which means 'Ransom will be on sale here tomorrow. It'll probably be hidden away behind copies of the new Sharon Corr disc and priced about €22...we'll see.
bobfrombob

Post by bobfrombob »

invisible Pole wrote:One question : does it ever happen that an album, officially to be released on a Monday, appears in shops at the weekend before ?
"Appears" makes this a bit of a trick question. They're not supposed to sell it before the release date so it normally isn't out on display prior to release date. But I know at my friendly independent store that if I go in on the weekend, stuff that is supposed to be released the following Tuesday is almost always "in the back" and they will sell it to me if I ask for it.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

John said [quoteThe dilemma is whether to order from Amazon/Play or venture out to a record shop on Monday morning and pay an inflated price. I will probably do the latter and then enjoy lots of long car trips out during half-term week with National Ransom the only CD in the car. The kids will thank me one day?][/quote]
My two girls never fail to not express their gratitude for the way I played Brutal Youth relentlessly in their formative years ! :roll:
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

You can now pre-order it on www.nationalransom.com, and you get a digital 4-track EP, National Ransack, of 'Poor Borrowed Dress', 'Big Boys Cry', 'I Don't Want To Go Home', and 'Condemned Man'.

There's a ton of choices, but I eventually went with the vinyl and digital download. The limited edition deluxe package was a bit too rich for my poor self...
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

If anyone's wondering, the three instant downloads are "National Ransom," "One Bell Ringing," and "Voice in the Dark." (I was hoping for something from the EP!)
cwr

Post by cwr »

Aw, nuts! I was also hoping that the instant download was from the EP!

But still: finally, a decent bit of online effort from Costello on this album. I like how it's all upfront and in one place, instead of parceling out different bonus tracks to iTunes, Amazon, etc. (The bonus tracks from SP&SC and TRIR have to be among his least-heard efforts, right? Most of the people interested in EC's music are probably more likely to be buying the albums in some sort of physical format, rather than through digital download, and some of those bonus tracks were ONLY available if you bought the full album as a download.)

And with the 78s contest, the twitter and facebook efforts, and the ton of traditional broadcast & print interviews and appearances he has lined up, it's looking like this could be a real success for EC. I like the way he is fully throwing himself into making this one feel like a real EVENT. I think it will be infectious-- the fact that he is making all this effort shows he really cares about this album and these songs and wants people to hear them. It's almost the opposite of the way Momofuku was handled, and I think it will garner an opposite result. (That album must be one of his lowest sellers, am I right?)

Can't wait to hear National Ransack. Exciting stuff! (For the record, I'm probably gonna order the vinyl + download, and buy a CD on the day of release from a physical shop.)
GCM

Post by GCM »

I'll get this via download and have cancelled the iTunes issue that was due on Monday. Can anyone techie out there advise which of the digital formats to buy?
The options are;

MP3 HD
MP3 only (320)
Apple lossless & MP3
FLAC & MP3

I apprciate that FLAC is likely to be the best quality, but I'm likely only to listen to this electronically.

Thanks
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

I went for all three options (mp3, flac, and m4a). mp3 will work with anything; flac is pretty restrictive (in that it won't play on iTunes or on iPods, which is primarily where I listen to my music), and m4a is iTunes exclusive. (But, luckily, not copyright protected, which is m4p.)
blureu

Post by blureu »

Is "I hope" still exclusive for Japan only?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

"I Hope" is also on iTunes, but we don't know yet if it will be available a la carte or as an "album only" download.

Having ordered the Japanese CD, it makes me a little nervous that Amazon Japan seems to be the only major retailer identifying the bonus track by name.
Adam from Oz

Post by Adam from Oz »

And No Coffee Table wrote:"I Hope" is also on iTunes, but we don't know yet if it will be available a la carte or as an "album only" download.
National Ransom is now live on Aussie iTunes and 'I Hope' is available for purchase (at $1.69) as a separate track!
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I'm frankly giddy at the prospect of studio versions of 'Poor Borrowed Dress' and 'Condemned Man' being available.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Agh, I've already ordered my CD from play.com.

Now it turns out I can get the CD and a digital EP from nationalransom.com!

Who knew this was going to happen?!