Costello Show

Pretty self-explanatory
limeyfan

Costello Show

Post by limeyfan »

Does anyone know what shows are to be released in this series? We have a glut of officially released 1978 live concerts now, we badly need some 1979 - 82 material!
Hawksmoor

Re: Costello Show

Post by Hawksmoor »

We don't know, basically. Well, not for sure. The press release for the Costello Show series mentions a Royal Albert Hall concert and a Variety Theatre concert as at least two of the others. The RAH is likely (but not certain) to be the January 1982 concert/s recorded for a possible live LP at the time, and the Variety gig is generally thought to be the one that's been available at various points in the past as 'This Is Tomorrow'. But it's guesswork really.
limeyfan

Post by limeyfan »

Jan '82 would be great. It's been a long time coming....There were other great RAH shows just before the "Punch The Clock" tour that were great as well. I was at the Royalty Theatre for one of the "Wheel of Fortune" shows which were great. I hope it another night than "This Is Tomorrow" as I already have that!
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

I think it's safe to say as collectors, we'll probably have most of what will be released with the quality being the wild card. But, I still wish they'd use a little more imagination. I mean El Macambo, come on. This is something like the third time it's been out there.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

chickendinna wrote:I think it's safe to say as collectors, we'll probably have most of what will be released
chickendinna wrote:with the quality being the wild card
yeh, I'd Imagine that there will be a good quality soundboard recording from most gigs nowadays. but from those distant days? The series so far has offered us extended or improved versions of stuff thats been long available.Following that premise, chronologically it would seem that the next release should be the Palomino show from Feb 1979. Featuring a lot of Get Happy and Almost Blue material, and like the rest of the series, including the HIPO reissues..Just too late for a 30 year anniversary release
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

The imposter wrote:Following that premise, chronologically it would seem that the next release should be the Palomino show from Feb 1979.
That's what I would think -- though I have mixed feelings about it.

On one hand -- that Palomino show is a really nice one-of-a-kind event.
On the other -- one of the major instances of unrepresented high-quality documentation over the years is the lack of a truly great quality Armed Funk tour recording.
(Yes -- the Palomino show was on that tour -- but it is not a typical setlist from that period.)
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Yep. it seems not many good soundboard recordings from that tour.

OK 1979 Wish List:

I've said it before but the best sounding show I've heard from 79 is Pink Pop, containing rare live version of "So Young". I think The Live "high Fidelity" on GH was pulled from this show , so there's a chance..Other than the Palomino show mentioned, Long Beach sounds OK and I think Soundboard exists..Including Moods for Moderns, No Dancing (79 arrangement) and Sad About Girls.

But what I'd really like to hear from 1979 is what isn't going to be officially released in a million years ... the Bramlett incident & subsequent CBS press conference... What a shame youtube wasn't around then!

and at least to see 1 time the cult film "Americathon" and hear the collaboration on Twist single "Ads" + any studio outtakes that may exist from recording sessions that year with The Attractions, Johnny Cash, George Jones or The Specials ????

The Jo Marshall demos must have been from around this time too. Heard them for the 1st time recently. Her version of Mighty Man contains the hook from King Horse, lyrics from "A Whisper To A Scream" and a melody reminiscent of "Save the Last Dance For Me". I'd like to hear where all that started...