'Christ, not this again. I'm NOT ELVIS COSTELLO'S FATHER!' April 2019

Pretty self-explanatory
BrutalYouth

'Christ, not this again. I'm NOT ELVIS COSTELLO'S FATHER!' April 2019

Post by BrutalYouth »

Does anyone have the fabled photo of EC when he was 10 or so when he did back up vocals on R.Whites?
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis Costello As a 10 year old picture? (R.Whites)

Post by johnfoyle »

The Whites ads. were made in the early 1970s. Elvis would have been in his late teens then. Elvis' Dad Ross MacManus (along with Elvis on backing vocals and guitar) did feature in the soundtrack to these ads. but didn't appear in them, Julian Chagrin being the main participant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._White%2 ... ite_note-1
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Elvis appeared in one of the TV ads, probably in his late teens. It was shown several years ago on a BBC show about famous commercials, Elvis had long hair and was part of the band backing Chagrin and singing "R Whites, R Whites".

Dave
BrutalYouth

Post by BrutalYouth »

FAVEHOUR wrote:Elvis appeared in one of the TV ads, probably in his late teens. It was shown several years ago on a BBC show about famous commercials, Elvis had long hair and was part of the band backing Chagrin and singing "R Whites, R Whites".

Dave
Could you somehow find that picture? or video some where?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Julian Chagrin blogged -

http://julianchagrin.blogspot.com/2007/ ... e-man.html

Sunday, 6 May 2007

I was the R.Whites Lemonade Man

In the early 70’s I acted in the famous R.Whites Lemonade commercial WHICH RAN FOR 17 YEARS! It was the longest running commercial ever in UK TV History.

But to be honest, I really can’t fathom why it was so much loved.

Every year it comes in the top 2 or 3 of the 100 favourite UK TV Commercials of all time.

Maybe I’m not objective but I don’t think that it’s particularly good,or well directed or for that matter well performed by me.
But maybe it’s because there is a stunning song written by Rod thingmejig (sorry Rod) the father of Elvis Costello. It was sung by a session singer and is very catchy, the “R.Whites” refrain sounding like “Alright!”

I actually made 2 R.Whites Commercials at the same time.

The second one was much, much better. I played a manic rock singer with long blond hair singing (well miming) the song and gyrating madly all over the stage.

But it was never repeated. Why? Well, and now the dastardly truth can be told, it appears that an unknown Elvis Costello was playing guitar in the group behind me and when he became mega-famous it is rumoured that he didn’t want to be seen as a humble backing guitarist so he didn’t agree for it to be shown again, understandably for him I suppose, but not for me, what about my repeats???!!!

I do have one indelible memory from the R Whites Commercial.
About a year after it was shown, I was in a pub. A man at the bar beckoned me over with a huge grin. Aha, another fan I thought, he wants to meet a celebrity, I'll brighten up his day.
"Hello." I said patronisingly.
"Hello, do you know," he said chuckling happily "that my son hates you?"
Big pause.
"Well thanks for the information." was all I could think of.
Exit one abashed actor.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The second one was much, much better. I played a manic rock singer with long blond hair singing (well miming) the song and gyrating madly all over the stage.

But it was never repeated. Why? Well, and now the dastardly truth can be told, it appears that an unknown Elvis Costello was playing guitar in the group behind me and when he became mega-famous it is rumoured that he didn’t want to be seen as a humble backing guitarist so he didn’t agree for it to be shown again, understandably for him I suppose, but not for me, what about my repeats???!!!
Not any more -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK26bP0M7BQ&sns=em

krm

Post by krm »

Does that mean that the other guys in the band here are Flip City? - first and only live footage?
erey

Post by erey »

krm wrote:Does that mean that the other guys in the band here are Flip City? - first and only live footage?
No, this was probably before Flip City existed. I think it must have been just after EC moved back to London. In any case, in EC explains in his memoir, this was filmed the same day the jingle was recorded and the musicians who recorded the jingle were pressed into service to portray the secret lemonade drinker's backing band. According to EC, that's Ross miming at keyboards.

But it is indeed, as he puts it, EC's recording and motion picture debut. As well as the earliest "live" (sort of) footage of him.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Julian Dutton ( once known as Julian Chagrin ) feels the need to clarify.

https://twitter.com/JulianDutton1/statu ... 20064?s=19

emotional_fascism076

Re: 'Christ, not this again. I'm NOT ELVIS COSTELLO'S FATHER!' April 2019

Post by emotional_fascism076 »

What a find :) I'm glad it still exists
Who on earth is tapping at the window?