ELVIS & THE SUGARCANES April 23, 2010 New York, NY

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

ELVIS & THE SUGARCANES April 23, 2010 New York, NY

Post by bronxapostle »

cool...where i was born!!! WASHINGTON HEIGHTS!! Mother Cabrini Hosptal. United Palace: never been there. ANY change from the Beacon is welcome.
Who Shot Sam?

Re: ELVIS & THE SUGARCANES April 23, 2010 New York, NY

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Anyone know when these tickets go on sale?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Ticketmaster has this for sale on Sat the 13th with an American Express presale on the 10th. Hopefully the EC site will have a presale as well!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Presale info...

Elvis Costello Fans;

Elvis has just confirmed a couple more dates!

4/22 - Warner Theatre (Washington, DC) - Elvis and The Sugarcanes
4/23 - United Palace (New York, NY) - Elvis and The Sugarcanes

Because you have been such loyal fans to Elvis, we would like to offer you early access to tickets.

The presale for the shows above will start on Tuesday, 2/09/10 at 12pm - local market time.

Presale Link: http://tixx1.artistarena.com/elviscostello

Username: elvis
Password: costello

See you at shows!

--Elvis Costello Fan Club
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

Has anyone else had problems getting tickets via the pre-sales?

Fan club..nothing available at 12.20

Amex....row OO at 10.01
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

For me, Fan Club...nothing available at 12:01. Goddammit.
I have no Amex card, so I guess I'll have to try for regular tickets on Saturday.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

when i checked late last evening there was nothing. but, the place is pretty big from what i know about it, so regular sale should be fine Ypsi!! good luck!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Gonna have to miss this one. Bad date for me and I need to save some scratch. :(
jmm

Post by jmm »

Don't think this pre-sale had any tickets. I first checked like 5 minutes after the e-mail appeared

Did get AMEX tickets!
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Absolutely--there were no tickets. Or it's just some idiotic computer mix-up and they haven't figured it out yet.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I know someone who got two good seats in the fan presale. But for me, it was "none available" and I got in right at noon.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

OK. So having been shut out of the pre-sale, I just bought the tickets from Ticketmaster. I was there right at 9:00 AM when they went on sale. I had to try several times to get any tickets at all, and the best I could eventually do was row H of the orchestra. Not super-awesome, by any means.

I just don't get it...is it actually possible that the people of NYC are so ravenous for Elvis and/or Hillbilly music that hundreds and hundreds of them were waiting by their computers, vulture-like, ready to pounce, the very second the tickets become available?
migdd

Post by migdd »

Ypsilanti wrote:OK. So having been shut out of the pre-sale, I just bought the tickets from Ticketmaster. I was there right at 9:00 AM when they went on sale. I had to try several times to get any tickets at all, and the best I could eventually do was row H of the orchestra. Not super-awesome, by any means.

I just don't get it...is it actually possible that the people of NYC are so ravenous for Elvis and/or Hillbilly music that hundreds and hundreds of them were waiting by their computers, vulture-like, ready to pounce, the very second the tickets become available?

The best seats are almost always sold to "ticket brokers" (ie. professional scalpers) who will sell them at insane prices to those who wish to pay them. Even if you were the first in line to buy seats, the best ones would arleady be gone.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

migdd wrote:
Ypsilanti wrote:OK. So having been shut out of the pre-sale, I just bought the tickets from Ticketmaster. I was there right at 9:00 AM when they went on sale. I had to try several times to get any tickets at all, and the best I could eventually do was row H of the orchestra. Not super-awesome, by any means.

The best seats are almost always sold to "ticket brokers" (ie. professional scalpers) who will sell them at insane prices to those who wish to pay them. Even if you were the first in line to buy seats, the best ones would arleady be gone.
Yep, another reason why Ticketmaster is fucking EVIL!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Right--ticket brokers...but isn't there a limit in the number of tickets anyone may buy at once? Aren't brokers subject to these limits? And even taking brokers into account, it still doesn't explain why the pre-sale sold out in less than 5 minutes. The pre-sale tickets for DC were available for several days.
kilyuradeo

FOR SALE: 3rd Row Orch Dead Center EC Ticket THIS FRIDAY

Post by kilyuradeo »

I'm selling a 3rd Row Orchestra Dead Center Ticket for Elvis this Friday at the United Palace Theatre in Manhattan. Asking my cost, $100.

Jeff
201 655 8314
migdd

Post by migdd »

You need to stop paying for EC and GP tickets you will never use, big guy. 8) :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

no offense to anybody trying to get rid of a spare, BUT...you can get a good seat at stubhub for like $10-15 per and i believe some for even UNDER $10. something told me i'd get in cheap tomorrow. hey, gotta scrimp with the number of times i fork over to see him. ah, "free" SPECTACLE....i'll miss you!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

a real good show and naturally, VERY different from last year. i actually got EIGHT i never saw before. pretty impressive 92 shows in for me. and SONY had his own seat in that nice nearly empty upper balcony. so, tape should be respectable. cool theater, my first visit. i'll do the setlist in a few...one stumped ME!
Last edited by bronxapostle on Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

mystery train
all time doll
new amsterdam
wines spirits
i've lost you
blame cain
river reverse
part of him leaving
before i grow too old
delivery
jimmie rain
slow drag josie
brilliant m
condemned man
friend devil
everyday (CANES version)
dont lie to me
mystery dance (CANES version)
complicated shadows
red shoes (CANES version)
colour of the blues!!!
sulphur
happy
alison
he'll have to go
good year rose
race on
peace love

killer NEW mystery dance this time around....recall, i dole out "different" versions sparingly!!! and colour of the blues was one of the two he did NOT do at the NEW YEARS EVE 1981/82 NYC show. so, that was a cool treat. new songs were real good.
Last edited by bronxapostle on Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmm

Post by jmm »

Happy was a highlight for me!! Never heard him do that before

More tomorrow
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.spinner.com/2010/04/24/elvis ... is-in-nyc/

Elvis Costello Goes Country, Covers Elvis in NYC
Apr 24th 2010

by Kenneth Partridge

Opened in 1930, the United Palace Theatre is the jewel of Washington Heights, one of Manhattan's northernmost neighborhoods. Gloriously anachronistic, with grand staircases and an intricate gilded interior, the movie house-turned-evangelical church has stirred the spirits of many a man, including Elvis Costello, who stopped by on Friday night.

"I think I may be in possess of the holy ghost tonight," Costello told fans, three songs into a performance with the Sugarcanes, the six-piece bluegrass ensemble that backed him on last year's 'Secret, Profane & Sugarcane.'

Elvis and the crew do old-school Appalachia with a rock 'n' roll bent, and Friday's set included 'Sugarcane' tunes, country standards, rock classics and songs from various stages of Costello's long, almost comically eclectic career.

He opened with 'Mystery Train,' a song made famous by another guy named Elvis. Costello's not the King, but he did Presley proud, kicking his heels and strumming his guitar like a rockabilly zealot. If Costello's voice has thickened with age, it's also grown stronger and more versatile. In his dark gray suit and cowboy hat, he made a convincing country frontman, one of the many roles he's able to play.

As his 'Sugarcane' tunes attest, he's certainly mastered the genre's thematic touchstones. On 'Down Among the Wine and Spirits,' he sang of drinking. With 'My All-Time Doll,' it was heartbreak. 'Condemned Man,' about a guy headed for the electric chair, is stark and fatalistic, the kind of song Johnny Cash might have covered on one of his latter-day Rick Rubin records. Told he'll soon be getting 10,000 volts, Costello's narrator sneers at the judge: "I said, 'Make that 25.'"

Among the Costello rock chestnuts to get the bluegrass treatment were 'New Amsterdam,' 'Alison,' '(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes,' 'Blame it on Cain,' and 'King of America,' the title track from a 1986 album that, like 'Sugarcane,' was produced by T-Bone Burnett. With 'Everyday I Write the Book,' Costello and the band transformed what some consider a pop trifle into an aching ballad, slowing the chorus and adding a three-part harmony.

During 'River in Reverse,' from the 2006 record of the same name, Costello wandered away from the microphone, challenging the audience to quiet down enough for him to sing without the aid of electronics. It's a trick he often employs during his regular rock 'n' roll shows, but Friday night, as he stood on stage roughly as old as the music he was referencing, it was more than mere gimmickry.