Grammy nominations (+ EC at MusiCares tribute to Neil Young)

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

Grammy nominations (+ EC at MusiCares tribute to Neil Young)

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.grammy.com/grammy_awards/52nd_show/list.aspx

I think EC's going to win this one:
Best Contemporary Folk Album
(Vocal or Instrumental.)

Middle Cyclone
Neko Case
[ANTI]

Our Bright Future
Tracy Chapman
[Elektra]

Live
Shawn Colvin
[Nonesuch]

Secret, Profane & Sugarcane
Elvis Costello
[Hear Music]

Townes
Steve Earle
[New West Records]
Other EC-related nominations:
Producer Of The Year, Non-Classical
(A Producer's Award. (Artists names appear in parentheses.))

T Bone Burnett
• Moonalice (Moonalice) (A)
• Secret, Profane & Sugarcane (Elvis Costello) (A)

Ethan Johns
• Gossip In The Grain (Ray LaMontagne) (A)

Larry Klein
• Acadian Driftwood (Zachary Richard) (T)
• Bare Bones (Madeleine Peyroux) (A)
• My One And Only Thrill (Melody Gardot) (A)
• Our Bright Future (Tracy Chapman) (A)
• Tide (Luciana Souza) (A)

Greg Kurstin
• It's Not Me, It's You (Lily Allen) (A)
• Ray Guns Are Not Just The Future (The Bird And The Bee) (A)

Brendan O'Brien
• Black Ice (AC/DC) (A)
• Crack The Skye (Mastodon) (A)
• The Fixer (Pearl Jam) (S)
• Killswitch Engage (Killswitch Engage) (A)
• Working On A Dream (Bruce Springsteen) (A)
Best Americana Album
(Vocal or Instrumental.)

Together Through Life
Bob Dylan
[Columbia]

Electric Dirt
Levon Helm
[Dirt Farmer Music/Vanguard Records]

Willie And The Wheel
Willie Nelson & Asleep At The Wheel
[Bismeaux Records]

Wilco (The Album)
Wilco
[Nonesuch]

Little Honey
Lucinda Williams
[Lost Highway Records]
Best Comedy Album
(For comedy recordings, spoken or musical)

Back From The Dead
Spinal Tap
[The Label Industry/Artist2Market Distribution]

A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift Of All!
Stephen Colbert
[Comedy Central Records]

Internet Leaks
"Weird Al" Yankovic
[Volcano]

My Weakness Is Strong
Patton Oswalt
[Degenerate/Warner Bros.]

Suckin’ It For The Holidays
Kathy Griffin
[Music With A Twist]

Tall, Dark & Chicano
George Lopez
[Comedy Central Records]
Last edited by And No Coffee Table on Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ypsilanti

Re: Grammy nominations

Post by Ypsilanti »

(Vocal or Instrumental.)
Seems like sort of a weird category...not "Americana"? Really hope he wins, though. SP&S was quite a record and deserves to be recognized. And I know the Grammys are pretty ridiculous, but how is it possible that EC doesn't have a shitload of them by now?
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Totally should've been nominated for best Americana (what bizarre categories they have in the Grammies!). But it is sooooo Americana! Far more Americana than folk, in fact!
wordnat

Post by wordnat »

Now that enough time has passed, I can say with some confidence that SP&S belongs in the top half-dozen or so EC albums. I think it's brilliant....
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Now that enough time has passed, I can say with some confidence that SP&S belongs in the top half-dozen or so EC albums. I think it's brilliant....
Agree! Listened to it recently after not hearing it for a couple of months...and WOW! I might even say fucking brilliant. And those Sugarcanes are an incredible, tight band.

More and more, I'm starting to think EC's songwriting skills border on the supernatural...it almost doesn't seem possible...and the songs just keep giving back. The harder I listen, the more there is to hear...
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
jmm

Post by jmm »

Best Jazz Instrumental Album, Individual or Group
(For albums containing 51% or more playing time of INSTRUMENTAL tracks.)

•Quartet Live
Gary Burton, Pat Metheny, Steve Swallow & Antonio Sanchez
[Concord Jazz]

•Brother To Brother
Clayton Brothers
[ArtistShare]

•Five Peace Band — Live
Chick Corea & John McLaughlin Five Peace Band
[Concord Records]

•Remembrance
John Patitucci Trio
[Concord Jazz]

•The Bright Mississippi
Allen Toussaint
[Nonesuch]
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
nobodygirl

Post by nobodygirl »

You guys really think that Elvis will win for best CF album? Don't get me wrong, I think it was a great album, but Neko Case put out a hell of a record, and if I had to guess as to who will actually win I'd bet Steve Earle.

And also, what's up with Wilco being nominated for best AMERICANA album? Once again, great record, but hardly Americana. Wilco (the Album) is a straight-up rock record if you ask me.
Your friends said you were better off dead
You were dead anyway from the start
--RA
jmm

Post by jmm »

I agree Steve Earle is the man to beat and EC won't be the one to do it
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Hard to get excited about these awards but I certainly agree with you that "Townes" is a better album or for that matter "Middle Cyclone"-both consistently stay played on my cd machine-would be happy if either won-EC album should be Americana where my favorite is "Electric Dirt" in the Americana category- I have never stopped playing Levon's record since I bought it the week it came out. It is hands down the superior record.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
And No Coffee Table

If EC plans to attend the Grammys, it's hard to imagine him missing this event two days earlier. He knows half the people on the bill.
Elton John, T Bone Burnett, Leon Russell added to list of performers at Neil Young tribute

The list of performers at the 2010 MusiCares Person of the Year tribute to Neil Young just got longer. T Bone Burnett, Patty Griffin, Sir Elton John, Lady Antebellum and Leon Russell have been added to the event Jan. 29 at Los Angeles Convention Center's West Hall, it was announced today.

Previously announced were Jackson Browne, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Sheryl Crow, Everest, Josh Groban, Emmylou Harris, Norah Jones, k.d. lang, Dave Matthews, John Mellencamp, Ozomatli, Red Hot Chili Peppers, James Taylor and Wilco.
EC has played this event twice before.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Will Elvis be appearing as part of this?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Hmm, happy to see EC nominated but Neko's album is far better IMO. Have not heard the others, though I think I may have caught a track or two off of Steve Earle's record.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
And No Coffee Table

And No Coffee Table wrote:If EC plans to attend the Grammys, it's hard to imagine him missing this event two days earlier.
What do I win?

http://twitter.com/Lefsetz
Bob Lefsetz wrote:Elvis Costello is gonna do Losing End from Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere.

Elvis is playing solo acoustic. He's making the song his own. He seems to know the words, isn't constantly looking at the teleprompter.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.wireimage.com/ItemListings.a ... 566&nbc1=1

ImageImageImage

Musician Elvis Costello performs at the 2010 MusiCares Person Of The Year Tribute To Neil Young - Show
01/29/2010 - Los Angeles Convention Center
Los Angeles, CA United States
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/awar ... ares_N.htm

Celebs fete Neil Young at MusiCares gala

By Edna Gundersen, USA TODAY

LOS ANGELES — Friends and disciples led Neil Young on a journey through the past, singing his songs and his praises at the 20th annual MusiCares gala Friday night.

"He made the free world a better place to rock in," said actor/musician Jack Black, host of the benefit at the Los Angeles Convention Center. "Long may Neil run."

Named 2010's Person of the Year, Young, 64, was celebrated for his artistic and philanthropic contributions, especially his longtime commitment to Farm Aid and the Bridge School for children with severe speech and physical disabilities.

The Recording Academy charity event, which provides financial and medical and assistance to musicians in need, drew a record crowd of more than 2,200, including such brand names as Jeff Beck and Brian Wilson.

Black discouraged civilians from confronting celebrities with convoluted tales of adoration. "Keep it caveman," he said.

The stage served up a steady parade of stars, starting with John Mellencamp, joined by T Bone Burnett on guitar, performing a brawny version of Down By the River. Ozomatli's Mr. Soul, a brassy, bruising slice of psychedelic Latin rock, followed, and then the mood turned mellow with Jackson Browne's Don't Let It Bring You Down and a duet of Long May You Run by Stephen Stills and Sheryl Crow.

Stills returned for Crosby, Stills & Nash's Human Highway, and Crow reappeared for one of the evening's high points, a rendition of Helpless with Elton John, Leon Russell and Neko Case.

"As a philanthropist and humanitarian, you're one my heroes," said John, who spoke of Young's early support and generosity. "I'll never forget your kindness."

Ballads and midtempo tunes dominated the bill: Only Love Can Break Your Heart performed by Lady Antebellum, Tell Me Why by Norah Jones, Lotta Love by Jason Mraz and Shawn Colvin. The twangy harmonies of Emmylou Harris, Patty Griffin and Lucinda Williams graced Comes a Time.

Introducing the harrowing The Needle and the Damage Done, Dave Matthews said, "Death is a wicked way for life to remind us how precious it is."

Rising band Everest turned Revolution Blues into Dylanesque punk. Elvis Costello, reminiscing about hearing early Young tunes on Radio Luxembourg, played The Losing End (When You're On).

Wilco, providing another peak moment, delivered an impassioned Broken Arrow that built to a cacophonous climax. Ben Harper, on acoustic slide guitar with three backup singers, revived protest tune Ohio. And Keith Urban and John Fogerty joined forces on a rollicking Rockin' in the Free World.

Not every effort soared. James Taylor's Heart of Gold felt unrehearsed, Dierks Bentley's flavorless Cinnamon Girl had none of the original's charm. And the Red Hot Chili Peppers' off-key A Man Needs a Maid lumbered. As for Josh Groban's formal treatment of Harvest Moon: bad fit.

In a live auction, Elton John coughed up $12,000 for the chance to sing background vocals on Brian Wilson's next album. Afterward, Black began to improvise, first with his shoes, which fetched $500.

"It has arch supports," he said. "Those are not included. I'll give you the socks later."

Next he offered his tie. "Flowers, colors — 50 bucks?"

A fan paid $100. And finally:

"Who wants my pants?" he said, dropping his trousers to reveal red boxers. He warned the cameraman, "Don't go close up!"

Black hoisted a large sign that Young had created backstage for performers. It read: "Just do what you want to do. Don't listen to anyone else."

"This should get more than my shoes," Black said.

Sure enough. Young agreed to sign it, and a bidder paid $20,000.

The flustered honoree took the podium and thanked the night's many musicians.

"I forgot how many songs I've written," Young said. "It's been a great night. Wore me out."

He expressed discomfort in gazing back, that it's difficult to recognize the prolific young artist who wrote Broken Arrow. And he wonders what's left in his quiver.

"I listen to some of those songs — who was that guy?" he said. "Look at Tony Bennett. He rocks. I look at that man and say, 'I can do this.' I'm going to keep on going, and I hope you do, too."
And No Coffee Table

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Grammys/2010/ ... 1-qmi.html

Song by song commentary includes:
Elvis Costello | The Losing End

The roll continues: An acoustic-guitar toting Costello takes this lesser-known number from Everybody Knows This is Nowhere and turns it into a country weeper that could have come straight from ole Hank's pen.

James Taylor | Heart of Gold

Hey, I respect JT as much as the next guy -- but does the world really need an easy-listening version of Heart of Gold? The good news: Dave Matthews, Emmylou Harris, Elvis Costello and Jason Mraz help out on backing vocals.
johnfoyle

Re: Grammy nominations (+ EC at MusiCares tribute to Neil Young)

Post by johnfoyle »

http://justjaredjr.buzznet.com/photo-ga ... -cares-06/

http://justjaredjr.buzznet.com/2010/01/ ... ares-cute/

Tiffany Giardina steps out in a gorgeous black gown at the 2010 MusiCares Person Of The Year Tribute To Neil Young held at the Los Angeles Convention Center on Friday night (January 29) in Los Angeles.

The 16-year-old singer mingled with top celebs and musicians including Colbie Caillat, Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban. Tiffany was lucky enough to snap pics with Elvis Costello and Norah Jones.

What does this remind me of......

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Here's Neil's studio version -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj_9lu1fTnE

Neil Young - The Losing End

THE LOSING END (WHEN YOU'RE ON)

I went into town to see you yesterday but you were not home.
So I talked to some old friends for a while before I wandered off alone.

It's so hard for me now
But I'll make it somehow,
Though I know I'll never be the same.
Won't you ever change your ways,
It's so hard to make love pay
When you're on the losing end,
And I feel that way again.

Well, I miss you more than ever, since you've gone I can hardly maintain.
Things are different round here every night, my tears fall down like rain.

It's so hard for me now
But I'll make it somehow,
Though I know I'll never be the same.
Won't you ever change your ways,
It's so hard to make love pay
When you're on the losing end,
And I feel that way again.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.rockymountainhighway.com/?p=328

Grammy Predictions & Ruminations
by harrissteve

30 Jan. '10

( extract)

My Prediction: Elvis Costello — Secret Profane & Sugarcane

My Selection: Neko Case – Middle Cyclone

There are mostly familiar faces in the Best Contemporary Folk Album category. Shawn Colvin received the award in 1990 for “Steady On” and later earned Record of the Year honors for “Sunny Came Home” in 1997. However, her latest live solo recording offers up little new material (a notable exception is a Talking Heads cover) — the album more or less recreates a previously released 1988 performance twenty years later. Steve Earle beat out the competition twice in the past decade in 2004 (“The Revolution Starts Now”) and 2007 (“Washington Square Serenade”), although in my opinion his collection of Townes Van Zandt covers does not rank among his best material. Although Tracy Chapman has four Grammys (including three during her debut in 1988), she has not won an award since a 1996 Grammy for Best Rock Song. Surprisingly, Elvis Costello has only one Grammy award on his resume, for a pop vocal collaboration with Burt Bacharach in 1998. If I was King the award would go to the incorrigible trailblazing indie newcomer Neko Case for shaking things up — “Middle Cyclone” is an innovative, inspired and literate modern take on folk music.

However, the best bet is that Elvis Costello will take the category with “Secret, Profane and Sugarcane,” both because of his lack of prior significant recognition and the involvement of golden touch producer T Bone Burnett, the soundtrack architect for “O Brother Where Art Thou” and the forthcoming Jeff Bridges movie “Crazy Heart.”
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

A pre-show interview:
http://www.grammy.com/videos/red-carpet-elvis-costello
Those hats are really getting worse and worse...

Steve Earle just won it.
Loudon Wainwright III picked up Best Traditional Folk. Nice to hear him thank Kate.
Last edited by scielle on Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Isn't that the Deliveryman lid? Has anybody really taken the Grammys seriously in the past 30 years?
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

migdd wrote:Has anybody really taken the Grammys seriously in the past 30 years?
Neil Young won a Grammy tonight. His first. 'nuff said.
migdd

Post by migdd »

scielle wrote:
migdd wrote:Has anybody really taken the Grammys seriously in the past 30 years?
Neil Young won a Grammy tonight. His first. 'nuff said.
Yes, he should have won one 30 years ago!