EC jamming with Gregg Allman & Steven Tyler, Nov. 21, 2009

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

EC jamming with Gregg Allman & Steven Tyler, Nov. 21, 2009

Post by And No Coffee Table »

EC's appearance at this Michael J. Fox Foundation benefit was already noted in the thread for "Relatively Insignificant EC Stuff. . ." Here's the video evidence of EC with the Gregg Allman Band, John Popper, Michael J. Fox, and Steven Tyler.

"One Way Out":

"Statesboro Blues":

"Walk This Way":
bambooneedle

Re: EC jamming with Gregg Allman & Steven Tyler, Nov. 21, 2009

Post by bambooneedle »

Looks like it may actually be true that Tyler is back on drugs after 20something years going by that clip.
woz

Post by woz »

Is it me or does it look like Steven Tyler is reading the lyrics for Walk This Way. I know he has many songs to remember, but isn't this kind of a gimmie for him? Seriously, it would be like Elvis forgetting the words to Pump it Up. Some songs by some artists are automatic. Makes you wonder about Steven Tyler's state of mind.

Anyway, have a wonderful Thanksgiving to my fellow Costello fans.

Cheers.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

That last verse (starting at 2:08) seems to be mostly gibberish.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i'll say ANCT!!! who woulda thunk EC up there with ALLMAN or TYLER doing Allman Brothers Band and Aerosmith the SAME night? OUR HERO does it all!!!
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
wordnat

Post by wordnat »

Ah, yes -- the debut performance of "The We've Slammed Bebe Buell Band"! I wonder if an album's in the works?
JEM

Post by JEM »

God he looks uncomfortable playing with Tyler.

Didn't he once say that he never understood Zeppelin? I can only imagine what he thinks of Aerosmith.

Then throw in the Bebe thing.

Awkward.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I think he looks quite comfortable hanging in the back playing, smiling etc. Why should he feel uncomfortable? Aerosmith had achieved greatness before he got his start. You could hear Byrds, Stones Beatles, Faces, James Brown in his music. Tyler is 61, his dad was a big band leader also, he could keep up with EC the music encyclopedia, Liv Tyler is a big EC fan. EC and ST could probably yak all night.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

AGREED BAMBOO!!!! tell me EC doesn't own a copy of TOYS IN THE ATTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ShipBuilder

Post by ShipBuilder »

wordnat wrote:Ah, yes -- the debut performance of "The We've Slammed Bebe Buell Band"! I wonder if an album's in the works?
That is not a fair statement. I think EC looked uncomfortable because Tyler was obviously a bit toasted. He forgot his own lyrics.
Might be important to note that Ms. Buell was also there at that performance. Appears the years have been forgiving. I was told she asked to not be photographed to avoid "gossip".
Neither men "slammed" her- one is the father of her daughter and the other according to her- this interview I am posting says it well- an important love in her life that lasted for years. There is also an interview with EC and this same gentleman. Look in the archives.
Didn't sexism go away yet?
http://webtalkradio.net/index.php/show- ... pting/4537
ShipBuilder

Post by ShipBuilder »

Boy With A Problem wrote:Image
JEM

Post by JEM »

I think my comment came out wrong. While I acknowledged that the whole Bebe / Tyler / Costello love triangle must have made things a bit awkward - what I really meant to bring up as a point of discussion was - I doubt that EC has much respect for a song like "Walk This Way" - hence the visible discomfort to my eyes. I brought up the past Led Zeppelin reference to try to illustrate my point, as there is an obvious connection between Aerosmith and Zep - and Elvis has implied that he was never a Zep fan.

There's only a few spots when you actually see him at all - one is at about 1:30 and he just looks like he's not sure what he can contribute to a song like this.

At 3:20 - I can't tell for sure because his back is to us - but it kind of looks like he's actually playing the hard rock lead there - and doing it well. But that sound just seems so out of character for him that I'm having a hard time believing that it is him playing it.

I do think that he obviously rose to the occasion - regardless of any feelings he may or may not have been having. Nothing was glaring or anything.

Whatever though - I'm a fan of both either way.
ShipBuilder

Post by ShipBuilder »

Interesting stuff here- here is a photo from that very event and same night of Bebe with the legendary BP Fallon who used to be Led Zep's publicist.
As for Costello and his like or dislike of Aerosmith, he once stated in an interview (I'll try to find it) that he really liked the song "Dude Looks Like A Lady" citing the horn arrangements as "done well".
I think people live to much in the past. This stuff that always gets tossed around about BB, EC, Tyler, etc..., is from three decades ago. Obviously they have gotten older and the reasons to be at war with one another have gone away.
Bebe looks amazing. She has always been a good looking woman but she has gotten especially beautiful as she ages.

I have always been interested in the dramatic aspect of the once relationship Ms. Buell and Mr. Costello had. It was obviously a well of inspiration for him regardless of what quips he may make in a liner note. I never bought it for a second. The lyrics speak loud and clear- especially starting with "Get Happy".
wordnat

Post by wordnat »

Fine -- I'll revise my post:

"Ah, yes -- the debut performance of 'The We've Had Wonderful, Loving Relations With Bebe Buell Band'. I wonder if an album's in the works?

LOL
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »