Elvis/'Live At Hollywood High'/ 7"Record Store Day April 17

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis/'Live At Hollywood High'/ 7"Record Store Day April 17

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.directcurrentmusic.com/music ... ywood-high

(extract)

Elvis Costello
will release a full-length, stand-alone version of his Live At Hollywood High concert on January 12, the second release of his "Costello Show Live Performance Series". Recorded in June of 1978, the concert was excerpted for a three-track single included with his original Armed Forces album and later with some additional tracks for the expanded version of Armed Forces. Elvis' Live At El Mocambo was released this past September 29 and he's promising more to come...
Last edited by johnfoyle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wardo68

Re: Elvis/'Live At Hollywood High' '78, Jan 12 '10

Post by wardo68 »

Cool. I didn't buy the new Macombo, but I'll have to get this.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Didn't buy El Macombo either, owning the Ryko version. I'll definitely pick up Hollywood High but hope the rest of the series is a bit more adventurous.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I too hope the series is more adventurous. There's a lot of stuff that is well known to collectors such as Hollywood High and El Mocambo. I'd like to see a Costello Sings Again box set or some solo shows.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

I know this is some kind of glitch -- but it's still a pain-in-the-ass, cuz I already pre-ordered.

The first listing says UMG.
The 2nd is Hip-O.

http://www.amazon.com/Costello-Show-Liv ... 689&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Hollywood-Hi ... 689&sr=1-2
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

CD Universe has a track listing:

1. Accidents Will Happen
2. Mystery Dance
3. Lip Service
4. Living In Paradise
5. Goon Squad
6. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
7. Party Girl
8. (I Don't Wanna Go To) Chelsea
9. This Year's Girl
10. No Action
11. Stranger In The House
12. The Beat
13. Alison
14. Lipstick Vogue
15. Watching The Detectives
16. You Belong To Me
17. Radio, Radio
18. Pump It Up
19. Waiting For The End Of The World
20. Miracle Man

I'm not sure whether this solves the setlist mysteries discussed in an earlier thread. We now know "Living In Paradise" is song #4. But is there a song missing between "Chelsea" and "This Year's Girl"? Or was the old 21-song setlist incorrect?
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Wow.
Living in Paradise ?
That's gotta be the last time that was played.
I'm not sure they even played it on the 2nd tour.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Chemistry Class in on the extra disc with Armed Forces was that from somewhere else?

Sounds a good set list
And No Coffee Table

sheeptotheslaughter wrote:Chemistry Class in on the extra disc with Armed Forces was that from somewhere else?
Yes, it was from the February 28, 1978 concert in Washington, DC, released in its entirety on disc 2 of the deluxe This Year's Model in 2008.
And No Coffee Table

Amazon has the cover art, which, not surprisingly, is the same as the original EP:

Am I forgetting something, or is this only the second time (after Goodbye Cruel World) that the Attractions have appeared on the front cover of an album? They're usually pictured on the back, if at all.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

This article spills a few more beans about forthcoming releases in the series…

http://www.billboard.com/news/elvis-cos ... 2419.story

Future releases in the series ill include, among
others, concerts performed at the Royal Albert Hall and Royalty Theater in London.
Most probably these, recorded for broadcast. I shouldn’t wonder…

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 1982-01-07

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... -23_London

The first set from the 82 show sounds interesting. I didn´t know it existed! I think only the 2nd half was broadcasted. I´d imagine that a decent soundboard recording exists for both sets but I suspect It´ll only be a 1 disc package…

He did 6 nights at The Royalty Theatre in 86 with different line ups, but I reckon it will be The Attractions BBC broadcast from 23rd Nov.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

I went the solo night at the Royalty. Although the show was good and memorable for the fact someone asked for their money back. I don't think I have ever been so disappointed at an Elvis show. All the talk of spinning songbooks etc and we got the solo night. I don't think looking back you knew which night was which when you got the tickets.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

I, too, was at the solo Royalty show in 1986, and I remember it as one of my favourite EC shows. He showed his "holiday snaps" on a slide projector, sangs songs as varied as Pretty in Pink, Sleep of the Just and Put Your Big Toe in the Milk of Human Kindness. I also remember a heart rending Please Stay - and in those pre internet days it took me YEARS to find out what the song was. Cait came on for Crimes of Paris, Elvis broke off several times in Tokyo Storm Warning to explain some of the lyrics eg Japanese God Jesus Robot, and yes someone complained about not knowing which nights the Attractions were playing and EC gave him his money back.

A great show and I hope that is in the ressue series.
snapyou

Post by snapyou »

ALL 6 nights would be lovely !

Also looking forward to the Albert Hall gig
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

or all 5 from BROADWAY!!!!!!!!!!! CONFEDERATES Philly 10-27-1986 METS WIN THE WORLD SERIES night would be stellar too...Benmont Tench!
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

The imposter wrote:
Future releases in the series ill include, among
others, concerts performed at the Royal Albert Hall and Royalty Theater in London.
Most probably these, recorded for broadcast. I shouldn’t wonder…

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 1982-01-07

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... -23_London

The first set from the 82 show sounds interesting. I didn´t know it existed! I think only the 2nd half was broadcasted. I´d imagine that a decent soundboard recording exists for both sets but I suspect It´ll only be a 1 disc package…

He did 6 nights at The Royalty Theatre in 86 with different line ups, but I reckon it will be The Attractions BBC broadcast from 23rd Nov.
Now we're talking!

It will be interesting to see if they go with 2CD sets or not. I'm listening to a resequenced (to match the original performance order) version of the THIS IS TOMORROW bootleg that documents the Royalty show with the Attractions and it sounds wonderful. You really get to hear Steve Nieve going to town with his performance, and this particular "I Want You" is for the ages! Hope this is preserves the complete show. Also hope the little bits of covers that are mixed in with a couple of the songs aren't edited out to avoid the expense of extra royalties.

Even if it wasn't originally broadcast, I don't see it as unreasonable to assume both sets of the RAH show were professionally recorded, as I believe it was originally intended for a live album (and/or video) and I think it'd be likely that they'd want as much material as possible to cull an official release from.

So far we're getting some very desirable concerts, but nothing that we didn't already know was professionally recorded (and, of them, only the Royalty show hasn't previously been tapped for b-sides or bonus tracks). Other similiarly predicatable (but welcome) shows would include The Palomino '79, Austin '83, Warfield '84 (my personal hope), and Broadway '86. Broadway '86 I would suggest would best be used as a Hip-O Select box set that chronicles the entire epic run of shows, assuming it was all recorded.
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Dr. Luther wrote:Wow.
Living in Paradise ?
It seemed unlikely that Rhino would have ignored a true rarity when they excerpted this show for the ARMED FORCES reissue, so "Living In Paradise" seems about as good of a surprise as we could have hoped for (shame that there did not prove to be a second mystery track, though). And now, between this show, and the shows on the Deluxe editions of MY AIM IS TRUE and THIS YEARS MODEL, I believe live versions of all of the songs on THIS YEARS MODEL are accounted for.

Anyone else notice in the Billboard article that Nick Lowe is credited as producing this concert? I just checked my original UK EP, and the Rhino ARMED FORCES, and neither include the credit. If accurate, it could account for the unusually great sound quality that was achieved on the tracks that have been heard to date (which I think outpace any other early Attractions show that I've heard).
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

It's also possible that the Albert Hall recording could be from December, as live tracks from the 24th or 27th (can't recall offhand) have been released before....again, anything after 1981 beings up the questions, will they go to a 2-CD set? They could avoid the problem with the Jan 7th show by only releasing the RPO half. But after that they will have to decide.

I vote for the Warfield over the Spectrum when it comes to 1984

Dave
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

FAVEHOUR wrote:It's also possible that the Albert Hall recording could be from December, as live tracks from the 24th or 27th (can't recall offhand) have been released before
Very true. And the show that I've got (12/27) is fabulous (though I think it's the similar 12/24 show that was utilized for bonus tracks) and it'd be great to get the piano version of "Baby Pictures" on an official release. But the sound quality of the tracks on the Ryko/Demon reissue of PUNCH THE CLOCK doesn't suggest the show was professionally recorded, so I think the RPO show remains the most likely candidate.
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

FAVEHOUR wrote: I vote for the Warfield over the Spectrum when it comes to 1984
Oh, yes. I second that. Would it be too much to ask for Warfield 4/28 with bonus tracks that include some of the unique tracks like "Stage Fright" that were played on the second night?
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

FAVEHOUR wrote:, anything after 1981 beings up the questions, will they go to a 2-CD set? They could avoid the problem with the Jan 7th show by only releasing the RPO half. But after that they will have to decide.
With a series like this that's so clearly targeting the hard-core fans, would the couple bucks (at best) they'd save by going with single disc sets really impact sales that much? At all? Indeed, I think if fans get the sense that concerts are being pared down just to fit on a single disc, they'll be more likely to pass on the official releases and just stick with their bootlegs.
And No Coffee Table

The Gentleman wrote:Anyone else notice in the Billboard article that Nick Lowe is credited as producing this concert? I just checked my original UK EP, and the Rhino ARMED FORCES, and neither include the credit. If accurate, it could account for the unusually great sound quality that was achieved on the tracks that have been heard to date (which I think outpace any other early Attractions show that I've heard).
He's credited on the US EP.

The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
The Gentleman wrote:Anyone else notice in the Billboard article that Nick Lowe is credited as producing this concert? I just checked my original UK EP, and the Rhino ARMED FORCES, and neither include the credit. If accurate, it could account for the unusually great sound quality that was achieved on the tracks that have been heard to date (which I think outpace any other early Attractions show that I've heard).
He's credited on the US EP.
Great catch! If they bothered to have a "name" producer like Nick Lowe oversee the recording, I wonder if Hollywood High, like the Nashville Rooms show before it, was originally intended to be released as a full fledged live LP and not just an EP? Indeed, I wonder how many other potential live EC albums have failed to materialize over the years?
And No Coffee Table

Hollywood High press release. Nothing new, really, but it does say The Costello Show series features "complete concerts," which would be a dumb thing to say if they were planning to trim longer shows to single discs. And yeah, I know they didn't include the Nick Lowe tracks on El Mocambo. But I'll take it as a good sign that they really do plan to put out complete shows.
Elvis Costello And The Attractions' Legendary 1978 Concert at Hollywood High School Released in Its Entirety for the First Time on Live At Hollywood High

LOS ANGELES, Dec. 10 /PRNewswire/ -- Elvis Costello was 23 years old when he performed a sold-out concert at the auditorium of Hollywood High School. It was June 4, 1978 and he had been introduced to America with a controversial appearance on "Saturday Night Live" and two albums Rolling Stone would eventually rank among the 200 greatest of all time. Twenty-five years later, in 2003, Costello would be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the following year would be ranked by Rolling Stone among its 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.

Now that historic 20-song concert will be issued for the first time in its entirety, including 11 previously unreleased recordings, on Live At Hollywood High (Hip-O/UMe), released January 12, 2010. This second installment in The Costello Show live performance series of complete concerts follows Live At The El Mocambo, released September 2009.

Just three months prior to the Hollywood High concert, This Year's Model had become his second album but first as Elvis Costello And The Attractions, with singer-songwriter-guitarist Costello joined by keyboardist Steve Nieve, bassist Bruce Thomas and drummer Pete Thomas. Producing the concert would be Nick Lowe, who would helm Costello's first five albums.

From Costello's 1977 debut album My Aim Is True, the show included "Alison," "(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes," "Mystery Dance," "Waiting For The End Of The World," "Miracle Man" and "Watching The Detectives." From This Year's Model, the band cranked out "Pump It Up," "The Beat," "Lip Service," "(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea" (only on the U.K. album), "Radio Radio" (only on the U.S. edition), "Lipstick Vogue," "No Action," "This Year's Girl," "Living In Paradise" and "You Belong To Me" plus the bonus single "Stranger In The House."

The band also previewed "Accidents Will Happen," "Party Girl" and "Goon Squad" from Armed Forces, which they would begin to record three months later. That album released in early 1979 would become Costello's highest charter (#10) and his third straight to earn gold or platinum. Included as a promotional giveaway with initial copies was a 7" single with the Hollywood High performances of "Accidents Will Happen," "Alison" and "Watching The Detectives." A 2002 reissue of Armed Forces would add a disc with those tracks and six others from Hollywood High.

Unreleased, however, would be the concert's "Lip Service," "The Beat," "Living In Paradise," "(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes," "(I Don't Wanna Go To) Chelsea," "This Year's Girl," "No Action," "Radio, Radio," "Pump It Up," "Waiting For The End Of The World" and "Miracle Man"--all of which make their debuts on Live At Hollywood High.

Upcoming releases of The Costello Show will include, among others, concerts performed at the Royal Albert Hall and Royalty Theater in London.

SOURCE Universal Music Enterprises