Elvis Costello - Special Free Opportunity!‏

Pretty self-explanatory
snapyou

Elvis Costello - Special Free Opportunity!‏

Post by snapyou »

This just popped into my email inbox,from elviscostello@artistarena.com
"Dear Fans,

We wanted to let you know about a special event happening in Toronto, Ontario on Monday November 2nd at 6:30pm EST. In case any of you might be travelling or happen to be in Toronto we've sent this to Elvis' entire mailing list so you don't miss the opportunity!!

So, what is it you might ask? Well, Elvis is taping the final episode for Season Two of his highly acclaimed TV talk show, "Spectacle, Elvis Costello With". It is in a small intimate venue in downtown Toronto and attendance is by invitation only, there are no tickets available for purchase to the public. BUT, we have 50 pair of tickets allotted for Elvis' fans.

So here is how it works. EASY, HIT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL WITH YOU NAME because the first 50 eMails we get back win two tickets, front and center to the taping. Give us your name and that's it!! Make sure that you can actually make it because the tickets will be non-transferable from the name you supply on your reply eMail and photo ID will be required for entry into the venue.

If you hear back from us, you are in, if not, sorry, better luck next time!"

Best of luck you Canadians.Wish I was going "North"
"
mood swung

Re: Elvis Costello - Special Free Opportunity!‏

Post by mood swung »

Blue Chair's head just exploded.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Because of a whole series of afternoon crappiness I only just saw the e-mail. I'm probably too late, but I've sent the e-mail. Pray for me!!!!!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

BlueChair wrote:Because of a whole series of afternoon crappiness I only just saw the e-mail. I'm probably too late, but I've sent the e-mail. Pray for me!!!!!

DEAR GOD!!! please, have bluechair invited soon, as he IS mr.costello fan number one torontonian....he does deserve the invite indeed. thanks and love, ba
snapyou

Post by snapyou »

Good Luck Blue Chair !!!

Get in there !
Ken(adian)

Post by Ken(adian) »

snapyou wrote:Good Luck Blue Chair !!!
Get in there !
Ditto that and see you there I hope! I plan to go with or without hearing back. I managed (barely) to get in for the Springsteen show in NYC but got shut out of the U2. Apparently my home game sucks.
snapyou wrote:If you hear back from us, you are in, if not, sorry, better luck next time!"
Would be nice to know when exactly we will, or would have, heard back from them.

So who is it? Is this the McCartney taping mentioned a while back?

Cheers,
Ken(adian)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I suspect the 50 pairs got snapped up within the first half hour of that e-mail going out. Maybe even within the first 10 minutes. And I suspect those who got it heard back pretty quickly, but hopefully that's not the case and we both got in.

I was making a pretty conscious effort of keeping my eyes open about this, but apparently I had signed up for the Elvis mailing list with my Being There account, which I don't have set up on my iPhone and check very often. By the time I got to the board, I was already home from work and it was 3 hours after the initial e-mail had gone out.

I suspect if it's not McCartney it's a comparably big name... otherwise I think they would've included that information.

Thanks to migdd, mood swung, snapyou, etc. for doing your best to bring it to my attention. It doesn't seem like it's going to happen this time, but maybe there'll be a third season and therefore more opportunities next year.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bobfrombob

Post by bobfrombob »

BlueChair wrote:I was making a pretty conscious effort of keeping my eyes open about this, but apparently I had signed up for the Elvis mailing list with my Being There account, which I don't have set up on my iPhone and check very often. By the time I got to the board, I was already home from work and it was 3 hours after the initial e-mail had gone out.
My opportunity also went to an email address I don't use that often. Does anyone have the link to sign up? I can't seem to find it at the official site.

Thanks
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

My opportunity arrived about six hours after I read about it on this thread. If I lived closer than eight hours to Toronto, I might have acted on it, but I figure they would have had enough responses by then.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This Blogger seems to have a ticket-

http://lastofthegoodones.blogspot.com/2 ... ition.html
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Is it possible thos ewho have tix still don't know it's McCartney they're seeing? Geez. Maybe they were right to move it out of NY, there's no way this would have been kept a secret.
Ken(adian)

Post by Ken(adian) »

FAVEHOUR wrote:Is it possible thos ewho have tix still don't know it's McCartney they're seeing? Geez. Maybe they were right to move it out of NY, there's no way this would have been kept a secret.
My information is that it was supposed to be Elton but he is sick so they are scrambling to find guests. Could be a long end up being a long set of music and supposedly Mary-Louise Parker.

I have been told emphatically that there is no Macca, but why would they tell me otherwise. Not sure I will wait around as it is now raining.

Cheers,
Ken(adian)
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

The makeup artist who did the Bono/Edge episode is back at work.
luckymeow wrote:getting stoked to work with Elvis Costello again on Monday... i wonder who the guest will be this time?!?!
luckymeow wrote:off to do makeup for Elvis Costello. keeping my chin up, and Elvis is always so kind to me. sigh.
And No Coffee Table

More from Twitter:
wwkuwl wrote:At another taping of Elvis Costello's Spectacle at the Temple. The guest, if any, is a mystery. http://twitpic.com/o2bs0
muchjohnny wrote:at elvis costello 'spectacle' dont know artist yet...was to be elton, but he's in a london hospital
little_lisae wrote:won a set of work wristbands to a secret show of Spectacle w/ Elvis Costello. No clue who the guest is, taping starts at 8
And No Coffee Table

EdenSpodek wrote:Despite the cowboy hat, Accidents Will Happen opens the show.
EdenSpodek wrote:Now he's singing Angels Want to Wear My Red Shoes.
EdenSpodek wrote:Chairs are being set up on stage. Oh, the suspense.
EdenSpodek wrote:Mary-Louise Parker is tonight's guest.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Mary-Louise Parker?????

Isn't her series on a competing cable network?
And No Coffee Table

If Elvis doesn't play "Little Boxes" tonight, he never will.
EdenSpodek wrote:They're having quite the conversation about his musical roots. MLP knows her stuff.
EdenSpodek wrote:Funny listening to Elvis Costello discussing drug use with the star of Weeds.
EdenSpodek wrote:Elvis Costello just compared bad Dylan knock-off lyrics to Twitter. MLP asks what song he'd write if he used Twitter.
migdd

Post by migdd »

wtf?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Evidently I'm not missing much...
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Mary....Louise....Parker????

You're kidding me.

I was so sure it was Paul.

It just made sense.

Well, happy that I didn't miss a once in a lifetime event, but sad thst an event I probably would never get into anyway was not filmed for posterity tonight...will there be no Macca Spectacle after all???
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

So... if I'm following the tweets correctly, Mary Louise Parker was guest hosting, and EC was the guest on his own show?
And No Coffee Table

EarlManchester wrote:So... if I'm following the tweets correctly, Mary Louise Parker was guest hosting, and EC was the guest on his own show?
I didn't quite pick up on that from the tweets, but yeah, a post on the listserv seems to confirm that. That actually makes a lot more sense if the original idea was to have Elton interview EC.

There's another post on Twitter that this is not only the last episode of the season, it's the last episode ever. If true, that wouldn't be a total surprise, since there was a report from the Springsteen taping that this would be the final season. But I wonder if a final decision has actually been made at this point.

Has it actually been confirmed that the Springsteen episode will air in two parts, or was that just speculation? Because there were supposed to be seven episodes this season, and only six have been taped.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

OK, well now it makes sense, as ANCT said. Elton was to host the show and interview Elvis, bringing the show full circle from episode 1 of the series. Also makes sense why ticket offers were sent to the Elvis ticket buyer list this time. (did ANYONE get one of those pairs?)

So I guess the press release at the start of season 2, naming Macca as one of the guests, was in error? Did Paul change his mind?
It's very disappointing to me, as I wanted one joint performance on film between these two. (The Concert for Linds doesn't really count).

DAve
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

This blogger was there: http://rylander-rylander.blogspot.com/2 ... elvis.html

Last Friday I received an e-mail from the Elvis Costello fan site (which I hadn't even remembered joining). It said that the first 50 people to reply would receive 2 free passes to the taping of the final episode of Season Two of Spectacle with Elvis Costello. Well, who could resist an offer like that? Especially since it was going to take place in Toronto! I replied within 3 minutes, and waited. Later that night I received another message. It said !!CONGRATULATIONS!! You've won! and laid out the rules for picking up tickets. Monday my wife and I headed out early to find parking and a place to have dinner. Parking, no problem, right across the street and only $15. Dinner, two blocks down at le Pain Quotidien, zucchini soup, fresh bread, and smoked salmon salad. Good coffee too! It began to rain, a steady drizzle. We arrived at the Masonic Hall on Yonge Street at about 6:15, a lineup had begun. At 6:30 they checked our photo ID and gave us wristbands. Then they checked our coats, searched my wife's purse, and showed us to our seats. The theatre is beautiful, very art deco. The set featured chandeliers, a 1000 lightbulbs showing the Spectacle logo behind a drum kit, and amps and guitars. We sat in the front row. The front three rows were reserved for the Fan Club winners! Here's someone who knows how to treat his fans.
The place was alive with a buzz. "Who's the guest?" "I hear it's Paul McCartney!" "It's McCartney for sure! I got the word!" People from as far away as Rhode Island were there.
It was 8:00 before the show began, and the air conditioning was blowing on us all the time. "Oh, it'll get hot in here once the lights go on!" But it never got that hot, by the end we were frozen (more of that later).
Elvis came out, followed by The Imposters, did his usual Spectacle rap, picked up his Fender Jaguar and launched into "Accidents Will Happen". It was fantastic. After another tune ("Chelsea") he explained that Elton John was to have been the interviewer and he, Elvis, was the guest tonight. Elton was sick (as the newspapers had told us all weekend) so they looked for a "rock journalist" do perform the task of raking Elvis over the coals. Since they couldn't find a presentable rock journalist...they got Mary Louise Parker (she of Fried Green Tomatoes fame). She came out dressed in black. She looked very slim, and quite lovely, although her interviewing techniques were adequate at best. It was clear that she was a bigger fan, more in awe of her idol than most of the rest of us in attendance. When she closed her eyes and swayed to Elvis's crooning, I thought she might fall off the chair! Nevertheless Elvis was charming and forthcoming with information about how he wrote and recorded, and his life in general. Marriage and fatherhood has agreed with him, and not drinking!
For over 2 hours he shared stories, and songs, some solo on acoustic guitart, others backed by Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas and Davey Faragher. I saw Elvis on his first tour of North America. He played about 14 songs and was done in 35 minutes start to finish! Wow! He explained that the Attractions were using "speed up drugs" and that later when he listened to My Aim Is True to relearn it for a tour, he "couldn't believe how slow the songs were"!
He spoke about writing with McCartney, Bacharach and trying to co-write with Sammy Cahn (it didn't work out) and played songs from each era. "Almost Blue," "Brilliant Mistake," "So Like Candy," "I Still Have That Other Girl," "Bedlam," "I Hope You're Happy Now," all done beautifully whether accompanied by himself on the Gibson, or with the band.
After the show, he came out to re-take the first two songs. "Accidents..." and "...Chelsea". Then he sang a couple more, a couple after that, and more, giving us a 40 minute concert to end the night. At 11:00 he said "Goodnight" and bowed, and walked off. It was tremendous. The audience had been standing through the final few songs. It was rock'n'roll!
On the way out everyone received a copy of the new CD. It was a night to remember. And I can't wait to watch Season Two.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Ken(adian)

Post by Ken(adian) »

Maybe this should be under Spectacle season 2 ...I don't know.

Thoroughly enjoyable evening. A good flow and damn near a full concert! Well worth the wait, the rain and the ticket quest. A fan club guy flew in from Copenhagen (said he was on his way to Seattle and thought stopping in Toronto would be close) and a couple of fan club ladies drove up from Rochester. The fan club list had a lot of names not crossed off which means, they asked for tickets and didn't bother coming. Rather pathetic for those of us who wanted tix, and definitely would have gone. If I could have called you bluechair, I would have told you to come down. I called everyone I could and they all got in.

Mary-Louise Parker did a good job under the circumstances...a lot of EC love & gushing. And not too hard to look at either! I caught her at the stage door and scored before the show.

I don't really recall anything earth-shattering in the interview...lots of talk about influences, collaborating with and writing songs for his idols, song writing process, and how his life changes changed his songs. I think the previously posted blog account covers it.

I was told that Eric McCormack of Will & Grace was there. If it was him, he was playing air guitar and drums half the night.

Best comment:
MLP: When I listen to Imperial Bedroom I want to punch somebody in the face and have sex with the wrong person...and it’s OK!

About this being the end...

The CTV folks referred to the taping as the end of Season 2. Elvis referred to it more like 'the end'. Apparently EC quit after the end of Season 1. And he has also quit touring, and has also quite recording, and...remember?

The paper work referred to this as "Episode 207" which suggests that Bruce will therefore be a 2-parter (unless EC secretly taped the Macca in the UK).

Possibly the 4 tapings in 5 days in NY may have taken their toll on EC. I figure they did that short period to keep production costs down as it can't be cheap taking over the Apollo and putting up all those people in NYC. The consensus in the bar after the Springsteen taping, and by EC's comments then, was that EC was done that night and the finale would be the Bruce 2-parter. If there is a next season, I think it will be taped completely in Canada.

They were handing out CDs after the show, one per person including, SP&S, Spike, Extreme Honey, and the El Mo reissue.

Setlist not necessarily in the correct order....
Accidents Will Happen
Chelsea
Red Shoes
New Lace Sleeves
Motel Matches
Brilliant Mistake (acoustic)
So Like Candy (after discussing working with Macca)
I Still Have That Other Girl (With Steve)
She Handed Me a Mirror
My Three Sons
Bedlam
Accidents Will Happen (replayed)
Chelsea (replayed)
I Hope You’re Happy Now
In Another Room
High Fidelity
Man Out of Time
I Threw It All Away
I Want You

Cheers,