SPECTACLE APOLLO 2 debut!

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

SPECTACLE APOLLO 2 debut!

Post by bronxapostle »

a VERY good night. SHERYL should be banned from EVER taking the stage with EC again. show ending THE FIRST CUT was done twice because of her many miscues and HORRIBLE bass playing...sheesh!!! and i bet it will not even be able to end the t.v. broadcast as EC hoped....yes, that bad!!! JESSE was great, RON was very good and i've seen NEKO a little better than tonight. E opened with some great WINCHESTER tune i did not know "BLACK DOG"...HE was up in the BOX nearest the stage left and US looking UP at him while he played!!!...STELLAR beginning. i will do the whole setlist tomorrow if needed. take that bass away from her!!!!!
Last edited by bronxapostle on Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bronxapostle

Re: SPECTACLE APOLLO 2 debut!

Post by bronxapostle »

okay, i'd be remiss to not post set...notes added tomorrow. * indicates EC sang or played on the song!!!

*BLACK DOG solo
ALL IN GOOD TIME - Ron
*IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY
*GHOST TRAIN solo {first time ever}
MARGARET VS. PAULINE - Neko
SHAM-A-LING-DONG-DING - Jesse
SECRET HEART - Ron
*LEAVING LAS VEGAS {STEVE NIEVE joins in}
*EVERYDAY I WRITE THE BOOK (Sexsmith version) duet 2x
DON'T FORGET ME - NEKO & NIEVE
THE BRAND NEW TENNESSEE WALTZ - Jesse
*PAYDAY - duet 2x EC electric
*RING THEM BELLS - Ron (lead)
*BOWLING GREEN
ALL IN GOOD TIME
MARGARET take 2
DON'T FORGET ME take 2
*PRISON GIRLS - Neko EC electric
*THE FIRST CUT IS THE DEEPEST 2x

final correct tally...sixteen DIFFERENT songs with six songs (everyday, payday, good time, margaret, forget, deepest) played twice = 22 songs!
Last edited by bronxapostle on Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

OK, BA...I won't steal your thunder--I know your account of this great evening will be much more complete and eloquent than mine would be--and I can't wait to read it.

Let me just say 3 things for now:

1. That acoustic version Ghost Train was absolutely STUNNING. I feel incredibly lucky to have been there to see that. BTW, extra points for the awesome Mustard-Colored Kentucky Colonel Hat--very cool lid, as always.

2. Elvis just appearing like that in the private box above the stage, like the Phantom of the Opera--with no introduction or anything--and then belting out that haunting, creepy song was really effective--very dramatic. Wow!

3. At one point during applause, Steve made eye contact with me and nodded. Swear to God. I mentioned it to the spouse on the way home. He said he also thought Steve nodded at us--but probably so did 20 other people in the crowd. OK. Probably. But then I remembered...when we saw Steve at City Winery a couple of months back, Mrs. Steve videotaped the whole performance and she was positioned so we were the background of the whole thing. We laughed about it at the time because it was a little weird to know we were in his home video--especially since it included me accidentally dumping a glass of wine in my husband's lap. Maybe Steve watched it and last night recognized the swarthy guy and the redhead from City Winery. I'm just saying...Maybe.
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

eloquent benny says "NAH YOU DONE GOOD YPSI!!!!" i can't add much right now; maybe later. glad you were there too!
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Sorry, slightly off topic - but for those interested, Neko's concert at the Vogue Theatre in Vancouver is streaming on the CBC website: http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/cod/concerts/20090603nekoc

Also there are other Spectacle alumni -

Ron (Massey Hall, Toronto): http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/cod/concerts/20081023sexsm, (Drake Hotel, Toronto): http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/cod/concerts/20080624gilda

Rufus (Jackson-Triggs Estate Amphitheatre, Niagara on the Lake): http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/cod/concerts/20090801rufus

Diana (Vogue Theatre, Vancouver): http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/cod/concerts/20090514krall

EC's show at Massey Hall due to air on Oct. 8th.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

If I might add something...

Since I'm so sadly inexperienced with Live Performance Elvis, last night was the first time I ever saw him play The Wonderful, Iconic Jazzmaster. It was a pretty big moment--that guitar is really something--badass, ugly, and as he says..."brutal-sounding", but perfect, in a way--perfect for Elvis. All these years he's been using it to channel his mean streak and running his genius ideas through it. That's quite a bit more than just an axe--it's an aggression converter, a weapon. Just imagine all the power, the energy, the emotion it's absorbed over the years. It's got to be one of the coolest objects on Planet Earth. I couldn't believe I was actually there watching him play it. As I'm sure you all know, It looks even better in person. And it caused quite a stir--everyone around me in the crowd gasped when he pulled it out. Amazing!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Ypsilanti wrote:If I might add something...

Since I'm so sadly inexperienced with Live Performance Elvis, last night was the first time I ever saw him play The Wonderful, Iconic Jazzmaster. It was a pretty big moment--that guitar is really something--badass, ugly, and as he says..."brutal-sounding", but perfect, in a way--perfect for Elvis. All these years he's been using it to channel his mean streak and running his genius ideas through it. That's quite a bit more than just an axe--it's an aggression converter, a weapon. Just imagine all the power, the energy, the emotion it's absorbed over the years. It's got to be one of the coolest objects on Planet Earth. I couldn't believe I was actually there watching him play it. As I'm sure you all know, It looks even better in person. And it caused quite a stir--everyone around me in the crowd gasped when he pulled it out. Amazing!

yeah, always a pleasure to see IT!!!!!!!! like an old friend ITself.
always dancing

Post by always dancing »

I thought Sheryl's voice was very impressive. Do overs are common at these taping and I actually like seeing them (why would you argue over making an incredible night a little longer). You have to realize these performances have very little rehearsals. I was most impressed on how much weight Elvis had lost. He looked great! I think these guitar pulls are great and I always learn something about an artist I hadn't listen too much. These shows are musically educational.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

John O on the listserv mentions that Jesse Winchester also did "Bowling Green."
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

That's correct.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

yes indeed...my error. i WILL amend it when i check the archives in my "brain"......
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

I see now that the Nick Lowe show is "sold out" and I guess I didn't get in. :( However, the John Prine show seems to have become "un-sold out". No tickets offered for the Springsteen on Friday. BA--are you going? Do you have a secret plan?

By the way, I agree--Elvis looked good in person. He seemed to be in a great mood, he was loaded with energy and his voice was fantastic. It must have been all those recent paparazzi-type photographs that were making me think he was ill. Very unforgiving--that kind of direct-flash photography. Anyway, I take it all back.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i have correctly inserted BOWLING GREEN in it's right spot that evening....whoever is the quick person that adds my setlists at the wiki will hopefully catch this as well and amend it there. thanks! best, b
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

bronxapostle wrote:i have correctly inserted BOWLING GREEN in it's right spot that evening....whoever is the quick person that adds my setlists at the wiki will hopefully catch this as well and amend it there. thanks! best, b
Nice. "Bowling Green" is a good rave up. I love Neko's version of that on The Tigers Have Spoken, with The Sadies.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Ken(adian)

Tonight SPECTACLE ticket available

Post by Ken(adian) »

Hey all,

I have an extra ticket for tonight in New York at the Apollo with Ray Lamontagne, Lyle Lovett and John Prine.

Best to text me at 519-580-9654.

Cheers,
Ken(adian)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Setlist from wiki:

Spectacle: Elvis Costello with...
New York, NY, Apollo Theater, taping for future broadcast
Musicians
Elvis Costello
Ray LaMontagne
Lyle Lovett
John Prine
Jay Bellerose
Setlist
01. Poison Moon - EC solo
02. Wave A White Flag - EC solo; take 1
03. Wave A White Flag - EC solo; take 2
04. That’s The Way That The World Goes Round - John Prine solo
05. Lake Marie - John Prine solo
06. Unwed Fathers - John Prine solo
07. Natural Forces - Lyle Lovett solo
08. If I Were The Man You Wanted - Lyle Lovett solo
09. Road To Ensenada - Lyle Lovett solo
10. Jolene - Ray LaMontagne solo
11. You Are The Best Thing - Ray LaMontagne solo
12. Henry Nearly Killed Me (It's a Shame) - EC with Ray LaMontagne (harmonica) & Jay Bellerose (drums)
13. Loretta - EC, John Prine, Lyle Lovett & Ray LaMontagne
14. Angel From Montgomery - EC, John Prine, Lyle Lovett & Ray LaMontagne; take 1
15. Angel From Montgomery - EC, John Prine, Lyle Lovett & Ray LaMontagne; take 2
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

wow. that's 4 of my fave JP songs right there.

shit. why do I live in the sticks?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.rocknycliveandrecorded.com/2 ... le-at.html

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Taping of Elvis Costello's "Spectacle" at the Apollo Theatre September 23rd, 2009:

starts like fascination, ends up like a trance

Posted by Iman Lababedi

Three hours later, walking to the train station after the filming of an episode of Elvis Costello's musical talk show on Sundance Channel last night, a woman turns to her companion and says "I can't believe Elvis was so rude to Lyle (Lovett),, he wouldn't let him answer a question. I wanted to know why Lyle left to Nashville and Elvis didn't let him speak.

Costello can not interview. He is a blabbering bore who can't listen and who must have been saved in the edit last season because he talks all over his interviewee. It was an awful performance on top of an astonishingly boring night. I have friends like that and I have learnt over time to simply say: "Stop talking now" or I'd be stuck there for an hour. Unfortunately, nobody can say that to EC and so he blabbers on and on. It's not exactly that he isn't interesting, discussing his father and his grandfather both of whom were musicians was a gift for we Costello fans, but Lyle Lovett had begun the subject by noting that his parents post-WWII were forced to do with their lives what they had to do with their lives so Lyle could do with his life what he wanted to do with his life. This is a fascinating, perhaps genius, take on the ethos of the baby boomers (I'll be writing a bit more about the subject in a later post) and Costello was so fast off the mark, so quick to run off on his own thought pattern, he stomped the line into the ground. I bet it doesn't make the final cut.

The tickets clearly stated "The doors at the Apollo open at 7p , taping begins at 745p". So I got there at 645p. An hour and half after and I realize this was Infiniti's idea of a joke. Why on earth would they force all these people to stand for over an hour (I bet some early birds were there at 530p) for no reason? Needless to say I was a foul mood by the time I got in.

If you have never been to a television taping it is often done essentially in real time: I've been to Letterman, Conan, MTV Unplugged tapings, and except for a retake due to a dropped mic here and there what you see is what you get. But Costello is being careful, he is taping triple the material he actually needs and that makes for a long night. A night that starts off excellently, EC is very cordial with the audience and with the techs surrounding him and begins the night by playing two pre-My Aim Is True songs on acoustic guitar (all the songs tonight are acoustic and with no drums) . For me, it was worth the entire evening from top to bottom, to hear Costello play his country-folk little known masterpiece, a song he claims to have been inspired by his first guest of the night John Prine, "Poison Moon". Not only have I never heard him play it live before, I've never heard him come close to playing it live before, Cos used the "starts like fascination, ends up like a trance" line off "Party Girl" for the first time on this song . And he follows it with the same vintage drunk beating his girlfriend as sick joke "Wave A White Flag".

John Prine is the great American singer-songwriter, a Loudon Wainwright mid-70s contemporary and yet another "next Bob Dylan". I understand what other singer-songwriters see in Prine though I've never been a big fan because he bores me a little, still I loved that early nineties stuff he did with Iris Dement who I worship. Tonight his second number "Lake Marie" is a genius story song I've never heard before in which he tells the story of the naming of two lakes in Wisconsin by native Americans and then ties it to a marriage failing and finally a murder before bringing the strands together:

"The dogs were barking as the cars were parking
The loan sharks were sharking the narcs were narcing
Practically everyone was there
In the parking lot by the forest preserve
The police had found two bodies
Nay, naked bodies
Their faces had been horribly disfigured by some sharp object
Saw it on the news On the TV news in a black and white video
You know what blood looks like in a black and white video?
Shadows, Shadows that's exactly what it looks like
All the love we shared between her and me was slammed
Slammed up against the banks of Old Lake Marie, Marie
We were standing
Standing by peaceful waters"

A little later Costello discusses how Prine came to write the song and Prine explains how he was visiting the lakes Elizabeth and Marie with his brother and got the number of a man who was writing about the two lakes -it is an insightful and interesting reply, unlike the rest of this deadly dull interview where Elvis won't take Prine's answer that he doesn't write fiction as an answer and rambles on and on and on with Prine repeating the same reply.

As dull as it was it doesn't compare to the two interviews that follow. Costello ridiculously calls Ray Lamontagne one of the most talented young singer-songwriters today. Young? He's thirty-five for fucks sake. Talented? He is okay but that's all he is. Lamontagne is the living, breathing definition of nothing all that special. Lyle Lovett is spectacularly uncomfortable and boring. A new song "Home Is Where My Horse Is" is has a great lyric (about the GIs in Iraq: "Am I worth dying for?") but a country-blues by the number tune and the other one is musical valium.

The entire night is musical valium. The songs are tired, the audience is tired, the performers are boring and Costello seems to be having a lot of fun. His attitude to everyone is ego free and pleasant and except for his inability to interview his three guests without launching into long stories and stepping all over their words he is a perfect host who is so happy to see you he can't stop speaking. And he has lost some weight though the 'tache has got to go.

Anything else? Yeah. No, Yeah Yeah Yeahs unfortunately.
jmm

Post by jmm »

Attended the John Prine, Lyle Lovett, Ray LaMontange Spectacle taping last night. EC was referring to the format as the "singer songwriter spotlight" or something like that. The idea basically was a man, a guitar and his songs (although it could sure work for females too) - sing 2, chat, sing one more. An excellent show to these eyes and ears. Started a bit after 8pm and ended at like 11:30 with all of the TV fits and starts. Will be interesting to see if it ends up as just one show or more than that

Prine was the legend that he is and was amazing. Him doing Lake Marie; then talking about his original idea for writing it and then how that unfolded was really special. That’s The Way That The World Goes Round and Unwed Fathers were also great. The little section of the interview about "who is the new Dylan?" article from the NY Times back in the 60's was fun.

EC seemed very nervous with Lyle and talked alot without reaching the question very often. EC started with the wacky story he seemed to have made up about meeting Lyle and it kind of threw them off - hopefully it'll be better once edited. Lyle was really trying whatever he could to help but was in a tough spot. Lyle's own explanation of writing the new song Natural Forces was much better than EC trying to talk to him about the same subject -- hopefully they use the former. His performances were very good - the other songs were If I Were The Man You Wanted and Road To Ensenada (on which EC played guitar too)

Both Ray LaMontagne's performances (Jolene, You Are The Best Thing and Henry... - see below) and interview were very good. His reaction of disbelief when EC told him he didn't want to be a performer when he started out was classic. It also led to a nice connection between them. EC should have let him have the last word when responding to some question like "they say you don't get along with people" with an answer of "I like people, but I hate assholes"

Elvis did Poison Moon and Wave A White Flag (twice - not sure the nervous laughter at the songs content was what they wanted) at the start. He also talked about having planned to play a new song but they didn't have the time. He seemed to especially enjoy playing guitar on Henry Nearly Killed Me (It's a Shame) with Ray LaMontagne (vocals and harmonica) & Jay Bellerose (drums) - it was smokin!!!

They closed all together on the stage for Townes Van Zandt's Loretta and Prine's Angel From Montgomery (two takes). John led them on both and they took turns on the verses. I've always thought AfM is a great song and, although the lyric was a little strange for these four guys to be singing at the start, was a perfect close to the evening

Back for the Allen Toussaint, Nick Lowe, Richard Thoumpson, Levon Helm show tonight. If they use the same format it'll go on for hours -- not that I'll complain!!
Last edited by jmm on Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://gigoblog.qbertplaya.com/2009/09/ ... -23rd.html

Lucky enough to land a pair of free tickets, Shana and I attended tonight's taping of "Spectacle: Elvis Costello With..." at the legendary Apollo Theater. (Is it possible to mention the venue without appending the word "legendary?") We showed up early at the front of the line and easily grabbed great seats in the 5th row of the center orchestra with a view right in front of the interview chairs. This episode featured three American folk singer-songwriters: elder statesman John Prine, Lone Star slinger Lyle Lovett, and the young old soul Ray LaMontagne.

The format of the evening went as follows: Costello played a short solo set, then he brought out each artist individually for two songs solo followed by an interview segment then by a third song (either with or without Costello), and to finish, all four men got on stage as a group for two last songs.

Musically speaking, the selections were pretty delicious with many highlights. To kick off the evening, Costello opened with two oldies from his debut album, My Aim Is True -- "Poison Moon" and "Wave A White Flag" solo on guitar. Prine, whose music I've heard covered by other artists, sang two songs that were lyrically complex, yet different in style -- "That's The Way The World Goes 'Round," which was amusing, and "Lake Marie," which was quite poetic. Lovett sang wonderfully, including a new unreleased tune which he claimed he wrote while watching a football game that had a funny beer commercial next to a news segment. Third came LaMontagne, who opened with a rousing stripped-down solo acoustic version of the radio-friendly "You Are The Best Thing" with a different arrangement, and then his "Jolene." Finally, the men played "Loretta" by Townes Van Zandt and Prine's "Angel From Montgomery." In total, we heard 14 songs, with a few repeats.

Interview-wise, I thought the success varied with each guest. Overall, I'd say Costello is a compelling host, obviously full with his own stories and geek trivia. When Prine was in the chair, Costello showed great deference and allowed Prine to tell some amusing stories. I can see why Prine is viewed with tremendous respect by many musicians. However, when Lovett sat for a conversation, it really became the Elvis Costello story-telling hour with little input from Lovett, who seemed like a perfectly capable and nice guy. Shana suggested that it was the Texan gentleman in Lovett, who was too polite to interrupt Costello, who'd ask a question, and as Lovett got out a sentence, would then hijack the conversation with his own story over and over again. With LaMontagne's segment, Costello had a bit more success than with Lovett, as LaMontagne seemed reluctant to embrace any kind of attention, so Costello had to coax him out some. I quite enjoyed LaMontagne's deadpan retort, when asked if he hated people -- "No, I love people. I just (really) hate assholes."

The evening was interesting as it was being filmed for television over the course of probably over 3 hours, with a few retakes of some songs, but hey, we weren't complaining. Mostly, I liked the idea of attending a musical event in a great seated venue with excellent sound and musicianship, and no one talking or texting or taking pictures or smoking rudely next to you, and the crowd showing great enthusiasm (even if on cue). I understand that the program itself is an hour (with commercials?), so it will be interesting to see how they edit down the footage. I had a great evening listening to a bunch of talented musicians to whom I might not normally listen, and finally got to see a bit of Elvis Costello live. Costello is a great musician with excellent stories and knowledge to share, and I really have to see him perform properly at some point!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Interesting write-ups re not allowing Lyle Lovett to speak at length. I listened to the recent Marian McPartlan Piano Jazz interview that Elvis did with Allen Toussaint, and, frankly, my memory of it is of Elvis Costello talking and Allen Toussaint saying occasionally "Yes, yes - that' right, that's right". I think it's Elvis's wanting to share his excitement about music - he can't stop rhapsodising - but he may need to rein it in. That said, I remember the Elton John Spectacle being a good balance - the guest was allowed to do most of the talking. Perhaps Elvis knew Lovett was a man of few words, so made up for it by doing all the talking? Hope the edit strikes the right balance.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

I was lucky enough to be 4th row center last night, and I agree with all the recaps, with the exception of Iman Lababedi, who obviously hasn't learned not to look a gift ticket in the mouth.

There did seem to be a couple of loud yawns during the Lyle interview, which didn't help. Maybe Lyle just isn't that chatty.

All three guests were great, though I wasn't too thrilled with Ray's first two songs. John Prine seemed pleased as punch to have such an enthusiastic audience. We thought Jenna the stage manager was pretty cute too.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Just back from an awesome evening at the Apollo with miss buenos aires' boyfriend Mike, who agreed to take the extra ticket when my wife could not make it. It was great to make his acquaintance and we had a fun time chatting in line and as we waited for the show to begin. I can't remember everything that was played, but it went something like this:

Blame It On Cain (warm-up with the Impostors and Larry Campbell)
Rag Mama Rag (with EC busting out some clever rhymes at the end to introduce the evening's guests)
Shoot Out the Lights (with Richard Thompson absolutely shredding on geetar)
How I Wanted To (with RT)
Fortune Teller (with Allen Toussaint and RT)
Ascension Day (with Allen Toussaint and band) - this may have been later
Lover Don't Go (Nick Lowe with band)
The Beast in Me (Nick Lowe solo)
Tennessee Jed (with Levon Helm and band - fantastic)
The Weight (with Levon Helm, Ray Lamontagne and band) - just great
They did The Weight again at the end because of some glitch (I think they wanted to introduce Ray Lamontagne properly)

I'm sure I'm missing one or two. In any case, I feel privileged to have seen these guys on stage together, and they really seem to have been enjoying themselves. Nick and RT both have a sardonic wit that I think will come across well when the program runs. To think this was all for free! A very memorable evening. I would provide more details but I'm pretty zonked out.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://johnozed.com/?p=5236

September 24th, 2009

johnozed

(extract)

And now I’ve just gotten back from the world famous Apollo Theater on 125th Street in Harlem USA. Brought my brother Brian, always good to hang out together like this. Lot’s of laughs, no beer. They sold it, much to my surprise but we didn’t realize it until we were in our seats.

Elvis was great, looking like a Beauregard or rather Rhett Butler with a hat like Gable’s and from where we sat, a moustache? Perhaps it was an homage to the Band. It was a taping for Spectacle with… Elvis Costello, with Allen Toussaint, Richard Thompson, Levon Helm and Nick Lowe.

Larry Campbell formerly with Bob Dylan sat in with Elvis and the Imposters
(the Attractions sans Bruce Thomas) and Ray LaMontagne sang the Weight at the end.

It was an enjoyable evening, certainly out of the ordinary. Brian had never been to the Apollo before, I was there in the 1980’s to see Boogie Down Productions with DJ Red Alert and Rob Base. It was a Christmas night show, went with Rand and Maurice Menares.

We were at the early show, sitting in the balcony, the negative image of the ants in the sugar bowl. People around us wondered what three white boys were there and we simply told them we were into rap. And we were.

That was a good show and our timing was good since at the later show there was a shooting.

Tonight was good timing as well. Brian made it to Hoboken, caught the Path then an uptown express. Had to wait online outside the theater for a while but that was fine, good to catch up with Brian. The show was entertaining and an interesting look at how a show like Spectacle is put together.

One can only imagine Victor Spinetti in the control booth.

Since Ray LaMontagne suddenly appeared and sang The Weight, they had to redo it with a proper introduction for LaMontagne.