Spectacle season 2

Pretty self-explanatory
Jack of All Parades

Re: Spectacle season 2

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Favorite part of the third show from the second season- Levon Helm hands down!!!!! As I wrote in another thread he is a national treasure and his album this year "Electric Dirt" is the best album I have heard this year. I only wish he could have sung "Tennessee Jed" or "the Weight" tonight. "My whole barn went up in smoke"- indeed.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
jmm

Post by jmm »

I really enjoyed "build-a-band" show. My favorite moment of the broadcast was Pete and Davey clapping and singing background on A Certain Girl. For some reason these two fine muscians stepping back and contributing in that small way and obviously enjoying themselves immensely just captured the joy of collaboration that the night was about

Having been there for the taping I hope they use an eventual DVD release to show the full depth and breadth of the full night
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Thankyou for these links to deerfried Spectacles ...
wordnat

Post by wordnat »

GREAT version of Tennessee Jed. Gotta love early-70s-period Dead....
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Last year this series was broadcast in the UK over the Xmas & New Year period, on C4, albeit around midnight. Any news of it appearing in the UK this year?? Anyone heard?
migdd

Post by migdd »

Really digging this season so far (the U2 episode was just okay compared to the other two). The build-a-band episode is the favorite so far.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Thanks. What a memorable evening.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
wordnat

Post by wordnat »

BTW, Levon Helm seems like a really nice guy, doesn't he? Looks to me like EC's a real friend of his....
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.sundancechannel.com/sunfilte ... ite-songs/

SPECTACLE REPORT: Elvis Costello’s Favorite Songs

December 31st, 2009 by Elvis Costello

As reported elsewhere, passengers on NYC’s “F” Train have been fleeing in terror after being confronted by a frightening countenance leering from every poster along subway platforms. Some say he’s akin to Spencer Tracy’s “Mr. Hyde.”

At times like this, I feel as if I may have missed my vocation. Perhaps I should have been an Albanian Politburo Chairman or Millennial Cult Leader. Nothing else could possibly justify the kind of coverage SPECTACLE has enjoyed among the advertising space of the five boroughs.

Perhaps these graphic enticements may have even worked, or you might not be reading this now, except to avert your eyes from other horrors.

This episode of SPECTACLE was to have been hosted by our Executive Producer, Sir Elton John, a chance to mirror his Season One “guest host” appearance with my wife, Diana Krall.

Unfortunately, ill health intervened, and at very short notice we were extremely fortunate and grateful to have Mary-Louise Parker take part in an utterly different, but equally enjoyable, conversation.

This is the column in which I have, up until now, listed a few of my favorite cuts by our SPECTACLE guests. In this instance, however, it seems immodest and absurd to propose my own songs.

Thankfully, television is something less grand and permanent than an inscription on a marble slab, and something slightly in advance of, in the words of Winston Churchill, “a tuppenha’ penny Punch and Judy show.”

Meanwhile, “Favorite Records” change like alibis.

So, here are five records you may enjoy
. I’ll write quickly before they change again.

Sir Douglas Quintet – “Too Many Dociled Minds” – from The Complete Mercury Masters (2005)

For a brief time I was actually a “Mercury Recording Artist,” and was proud to be in the company of Sir Doug, one of the Great Knights of Texas. In fact, I met Doug Sahm at a Flaco Jimenez gig in London during the last century. He was still full of wit and wonder. I wish I’d had a chance to see him play around the time he recorded fantastic records like this one and “Can You Dig My Vibrations.”

The Unthanks – “Here’s The Tender Coming” – from Here’s The Tender Coming (2009)

My favorite county record of 2009. The county of Northumberland, that is. The supernatural singing from Rachel and Becky Unthank and the lovely arrangements are three reasons to hear this wonderful album.

Val Rosing – “Hush Hush Hush…Here Comes The Boogie Man” – from The Best of Val Rosing

Val Rosing was the voice on Henry Hall’s recording of “The Teddy Bear’s Picnic.” If this were not enough recommendation, this record should clinch the deal. Mr. Rosing also had a hit with an early English recording of “Try A Little Tenderness” with the Ray Noble Orchestra.

Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys – “Thorn In My Heart” – from Boot-Heel Drag: The MGM Years (2001)

My favorite date of the year was the final show of my tour with the Sugarcanes, at Cain’s Ballroom in Tulsa, Oklahoma. It’s a venue made famous by Sir Bob and his Playboys. However, it is a dancehall, and the hubbub of the throng doesn’t invite you to drop the tempo that much, so we played every song of a quick tempo that we knew.

Jim Lauderdale and I had written a song that afternoon on the ride from Dallas. It was called “I Lost You,” and we rehearsed and debuted it at the show, so sadly, there was not enough time to also work up our version of “Thorn,” as I had originally planned.

Joe Henry – “Stars” – from Blood From Stars (2009)

From his station in the producer’s chair, my friend Joe was responsible for several of 2009’s great albums. But he also beamed out an incredible album of his own from the basement of the Widow Garfield’s house. The witty saxophone commentary is by his son, Levon Henry.

Albert Ayler – “Deep River” – from Goin’ Home (1964)

Why we don’t need words.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Jack of All Parades

Favorite moment from tonight's show-permission to own up to the "country" in my collection. Also kudos to Ms. Parker and her ability to allow EC to talk, gently moving his conversation along. Loved the soft rendition of "I Threw It All Away"-reinforced the beauty of a well crafted lyric filled with honest emotion for me-nice to see that is something he constantly aspires to in his song craft.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
wordnat

Post by wordnat »

I was, um, underwhelmed by this episode. As an interviewer, MLP is one hell of an actor. Too much emphasis was given to EC's collaboators, the net result of which was watching EC play Hide and Seek all freaking night, like some sort of bespectacled trout that MLP lacked the equipment to properly land....
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Yeah--this is the episode I most wanted to see--Elvis talking about Elvis. I always feel like interviewers are over-matched by his massive brain power and barely scratch his surface. This seemed like an opportunity for something more. I guess I agree that MLP maybe wasn't quite up to the task, but I'm not sure who would have done better. Elton? Probably not. Maybe it was just too brief. There were certainly good moments. I think I'd better watch it again.
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
migdd

Post by migdd »

I was expecting to be underwhelmed and the show met my expectations. As a 33-year fan, you think you've heard it all before and mostly you have. Still there were some good moments between the commercials and abbreviated songs (most annoying - one verse of Motel Matches????) like Elvis describing My Three Sons as a song tinged with the terror of knowing his own age at the point his sons hit maturity. I've read him telling the story before but I swear he was quickly wiping a tear (maybe he was just scratching his eye but I've never noticed him doing that before) away as he told it to Parker. Also enjoyed the story about how his dad scored Beatles autographs only to find EC cutting them up so they would fit into his autograph book!

The show did seem too brief, the commercials too long - but that's often the case with any great hour of television, if there really is such a thing.

I've really enjoyed the second season so far; however, the one criticism I have is that there hasn't been as much in-depth conversation with the guests as we saw in the past season. The guitar pull and build-a-band episodes were both insightful and fun as I'm sure next week's "Americana Songwriters" episode will be. (Finally, the great John Prine gets some air time!) But last year we got full hours with Elton John, Bill Clinton, Lou Reed, Herbie Hancock, Diana Krall, Tony Bennett, Smokey Robinson, Renee Fleming, James Taylor and the Police. This year we get one-half of U2 (yawn . . . so flame me) and two episodes of da Boss. (Okay, great . . . but two episodes out of seven?? That doesn't leave much for the rest of the working musicians in the world.) Obviously and gratefully, the guest choices for the first and last two episodes are ratings magnets and that's fine if it means another season of the show. I just wish there was more meat between the high profile buns.
TX_Fan

Post by TX_Fan »

...Just finished watching. I very much enjoyed the episode...could have been better I guess. Loved Town Cryer & Brilliant Mistake...those certainly choked up ML Parker. So Like Candy was very good as was Still have that Other Girl. No complaining here...but man...those sideburns need to go!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I pray the song clips at least make it onto YouTube. We're not getting the shows in the UK.

I love Town Cryer - really think it should be a world-famous standard. When's somebody major gonna cover it? I know Wet Wet Wet did, but that was a B-side.
TX_Fan

Post by TX_Fan »

Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Thanks TX Fan - great to hear Elvis singing this live - I don't think I've ever seen him sing it - only ever heard the recorded versions. I do love the Psycho strings in the Imperial Bedroom version. It's one of my Elvis faves, but doesn't get much of a mention, generally. The interviewer looks completely blissed out while he's singing!
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

That was my favorite version of So Like Candy...reminds me of alternative rock when I was in high school in the mid 90's...pretty straight forward. :)
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Agree with you, LTZ. Candy sounded awesome backed by the Imposters! One of my all-time favorite EC songs.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

So were there just four songs? Mistake, Town Cryer, Other Girl, and Candy?
Jack of All Parades

There were other songs- a snippet of "Motel Matches" which was probably done whole when live and a beautifully muted rendition of "I Threw It All Away" at the end of the program.
TX_Fan

Post by TX_Fan »

Also, he opened the show with a very good "I don't want to go to Chelsea" w/ Imposters.
migdd

Post by migdd »

And the Imps played Shabby Doll behind EC's opening "monologue".