Spectacle season 2

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

Spectacle season 2

Post by And No Coffee Table »

This really deserves its own topic.

On a previous thread, it was noted that a Toronto-based makeup artist posted on Twitter:
i'm booked 2 do mkup 4 a taping of Spectacle (Elvis Costello's show)-the guest is so famous no 1's allowed 2 know who it is till last minute
...followed by...
....and it's a closed set, so i won't be able to get tickets for anyone. don't even ask!!
Today she adds:
getting excited for tomorrow... doing makeup for Elvis Costello's Spectacle! with a pretty amazing guest...
A press release posted on another thread mentioned Bono and Paul McCartney as guests planned for season 2.

Based on U2's tour schedule, which has Tuesday as a day off and a Wednesday show in Toronto, it sure looks like tomorrow's guest is Bono.
bronxapostle

Re: Spectacle season 2

Post by bronxapostle »

what???? they're taping already????
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Toronto?? What about the Apollo???? There are pictures of the marquee in the opening credits, for heaven sake.
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
And No Coffee Table

I wonder if only the Bono episode will be done in Toronto.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

I hope it's the only one. Apparently this is the episode with the "closed set", right? I hope that is also the exception.

Does a closed set mean literally no audience or does it mean it's still in a theatrical venue but the audience will consist of the musician's personal assistants, entourages, sycophants, spouses of people from the production companies, etc?

I went to 2 of those tapings last summer and it was just incredibly fun. I was really hoping to do it again.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Could it be Barbara Streisand? She's doing the rounds this autumn, and she's quite diva-ish, so we're told. Maybe that's why the closed set?
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Scielle speculated that it might be Barbara in the other thread. I know she's a legend and all, but I just can't picture it. What on earth would Elvis say to her? She gives the impression that so many decades of entrenched Diva-ism have pushed her over into the nutty zone. And the 2 of them singing together? That's just too weird.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

stranger things have happened....
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Elvis duetting with Streisand! That thought had never entered my head. Too bizarre - and that's why I'd love it!
And No Coffee Table

http://twitter.com/sharlenechiu/status/4008629084
http://twitpic.com/hu32u - Nothing beats working to the sound of Elvis Costello soundchecking in our studios, taping another season of Spectacle
http://twitter.com/RobHynes/status/4007354293
Elvis Costello is upstairs covering U2 songs. I'm in musicgeek heaven.
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Also:
BSSchwartz: Working away...Elvis Costello sound-checking a cover of U2's Mysterious Ways in the background. This IS work/life balance ;)
http://ctvmedia.ca/ctv/releases/release ... &yyyy=2009

Toronto Hosts a SPECTACLE

- Celebrated Talk/Music series begins production of second season in Canada -
- Season 1 DVD/Blu-ray box set released throughout North America
November 10, 2009 -

Toronto, ON (September 15, 2009) – SPECTACLE: ELVIS COSTELLO WITH…, the internationally acclaimed music television series conceived and developed in Canada, begins production today on season 2 with a special taping in Toronto. Canada’s first ever SPECTACLE taping will take place in the legendary Concert Hall at CTV’s historic Masonic Temple. Host Elvis Costello said “In the words of the great Joe Strummer, ‘Let’s Rock again!’”

In Toronto, SPECTACLE will tape in a room that has hosted a who’s who of music royalty in the past 50 years. The Rolling Stones rehearsed numerous times in the Concert Hall while Led Zeppelin played its first Toronto concert there. One of Canada’s best live music venues, the Masonic Temple’s Concert Hall has also hosted historic performances by The Supremes, The Who, Bob Dylan and James Brown. Home to MTV in Canada, The Masonic Temple is a living, breathing creative hub and beacon for the artistic community.

“I am delighted that we can continue where we left off—making intelligent, and informative music programming,” shares Sir Elton John, one of the series’ Executive Producers.

Embraced by both critics and viewers in its ambitious first season, SPECTACLE proved that there is a substantial audience for an intelligent and entertaining program about music, becoming one of last season’s top 10 new shows in Canada*. Designed to provide a forum for in-depth discussion and performance with the most interesting and influential artists and personalities of our time, the show fuses the best of talk and music television.

SPECTACLE’s inaugural season featured an extraordinary and eclectic roster of legendary musicians and fascinating personalities, starting with Sir Elton John, before delving into an astonishing range of musical genres, including pop, rock, jazz, country and even opera. Guests ranged from The Police to President Bill Clinton, and the series won rave reviews all over the world, airing on CTV in Canada and on Sundance Channel in the U.S., as well as on Channel 4 in the UK, ABC in Australia, HBO throughout Latin America, and in a number of other international territories.

For season two, the SPECTACLE production team has committed to raising the bar; guests will be announced later this month. Season one of Spectacle is now available on iTunes, and a DVD/Blu-ray box set will be released throughout North America November 10, 2009.

Co-produced by Toronto’s reinvention entertainment, SpyBox Pictures and Prospero Pictures, along with London-based Rocket Pictures in association with CTV and Sundance Channel, SPECTACLE: ELVIS COSTELLO WITH… is an unpredictable and unprecedented television experience. The series of one-hour programs features everything from intimate one-on-ones with legendary performers and notable newcomers to thematic panel discussions.

SPECTACLE also features a variety of performance elements including unique collaborations, acoustic and impromptu “illustrative” demonstrations of the creative process, and some original interpretations of others’ songs by Costello.

The program's eclecticism and depth reflect its uniquely qualified host. Elvis Costello is a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee; a Grammy and Ivor Novello Award-winning (and Oscar-nominated) songwriter and performer comfortable in almost every genre imaginable; a musicologist of formidable breadth and knowledge; a contributor to Vanity Fair magazine; and a noted wit whose stint as guest host on The Late Show with David Letterman won rave reviews.

Consistent with Sir Elton John's long-standing commitment to philanthropy and music, the series producers have struck an exciting association with the (Product) RED (http://www.joinred.com) campaign created to raise awareness and money for the Global Fund (http://www.theglobalfund.org) to fight AIDS in Africa. Select program excerpts and performances will be distributed in a variety of new media and conventional platforms, with a portion of the profits directed to the Global Fund.

SPECTACLE: ELVIS COSTELLO WITH… is produced by Rocket Pictures, SpyBox Pictures, Prospero Pictures and reinvention entertainment, in association with CTV and Sundance Channel. Executive Producers are Sir Elton John, Elvis Costello, David Furnish, Steve Hamilton-Shaw, Jordan Jacobs, Martin Katz and Stephen Warden. Co-Executive Producer is Alex Coletti. For CTV, Susanne Boyce is President, Creative, Content and Channels, CTV Inc.

CTV, Canada’s Olympic Network, is also Canada's largest private broadcaster. Featuring a wide range of quality news, sports, information, and entertainment programming, CTV is Canada’s most-watched television network. CTV Inc. also owns radio stations across the country and owns or has interests in leading national specialty channels, featuring news, sports, factual, arts, entertainment, music, youth and fashion programming. CTV Inc. is owned by CTVglobemedia Inc., Canada’s premier multi-media company, which also owns Canada’s national newspaper, The Globe and Mail. CTV is the official broadcaster of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games and London 2012 Games of the Olympiad. More information about CTV may be found on the company website at http://www.ctv.ca.

- CTV -

* Source: BBM Nielsen Media Research, CTV Total, Global Total and CBC Total
Sept. 1, 2008 – May 24, 2009, minimum five telecasts
And No Coffee Table

I guess it's not a closed set after all.
still have some standby seatfiller wristbands avail for 'Spectacle' tonight - Elvis Costello with special guest Bono! Msg us if interested!
http://twitter.com/freetvtickets/status/4010882399
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Oh man. Thanks for the tip-off. If I wasn't battling this nasty cold, I'd so be there!

I hope this means there'll be more Toronto tapings to come. Toronto is currently abuzz with celebrities for the Toronto International Film Festival so I suspect a number of them will be in attendance.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

WTF??? TORONTO? they best bring this show right back to NYC where it belongs p-l-e-a-s-e!!!!!!!! i coulda gotten in for the BONO taping????....HOLY MOLY!!! BLUE CHAIR...if you're in that neighborhood; YOU BETTER GET THERE!!!! ba
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

WTF??? TORONTO? they best bring this show right back to NYC where it belongs p-l-e-a-s-e!!!!!!!!
Yeah, you said it, BA! No offense to any fans in far-flung areas, but Spectacle needs to come back to the Apollo. Toronto? Whatever! It's not like it's Vancouver. It's not like he's trying to stay close to home or anything. What if all the episodes are like this---taped in locations all over the place? Very irksome. :?
And No Coffee Table

Details from atu2.com:
As you may know, U2 taped an edition of Spectacle Tuesday in Toronto. It's a music performance/interview program hosted by Elvis Costello that airs on the Sundance Channel, and typically involves Elvis and his band performing songs with his guests. The U2 appearance tonight -- which was actually just Bono and Edge -- stayed true to that format.

According to Jesse M., here's how it went down:

"Please" (just Elvis Costello and his band)
"Dirty Day" (ditto)
"Mysterious Ways" (ditto)

Elvis begins interview with Bono and Edge, but it's broken up by several performances:

"Stay" (Bono and Edge alone)
"Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad" (Bono, with Elvis' rhythm section)
"Alison" (the whole ensemble - Elvis and his band with Bono and Edge)
"Stuck In A Moment" (whole ensemble)
"Pump It Up/Get On Your Boots" (whole ensemble)

Needless to say, we don't know yet when the program might air.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Right, if anyone was there.... did Elvis keep the 'tache?
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Yeah--either the mustache goes or they're going to have to totally re-do the title sequence.
"Pump It Up/Get On Your Boots" (whole ensemble)
If I were EC, I might be slightly irritated about "Get On Your Boots" borrowing so much from "Pump It Up", but apparently no...

Am I correct that the Elvis/Bono relationship is similar to the Elvis/Sting relationship? I think I remember reading some not-so-nice things EC has said about Bono.
Hoopsrcool

Post by Hoopsrcool »

Ypsilanti wrote:
WTF??? TORONTO? they best bring this show right back to NYC where it belongs p-l-e-a-s-e!!!!!!!!
Yeah, you said it, BA! No offense to any fans in far-flung areas, but Spectacle needs to come back to the Apollo. Toronto? Whatever! It's not like it's Vancouver. It's not like he's trying to stay close to home or anything. What if all the episodes are like this---taped in locations all over the place? Very irksome. :?
You might want to visit, one day. Much to the surprise of some New Yorkers (which I once was), Toronto isn't really a far-flung, backwater, podunk town as it might be imagined, by some. You might even come to like it. I did.
And No Coffee Table

Ypsilanti wrote:Am I correct that the Elvis/Bono relationship is similar to the Elvis/Sting relationship? I think I remember reading some not-so-nice things EC has said about Bono.
He said in 1983 that he didn't like U2, but they apparently won him over after that. The earliest U2 on his Vanity Fair list is 1984's The Unforgettable Fire.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

He's been praising U2 for quite a while. I think he waited in line at the record store in London to buy the Joshua Tree CD at midnight. He goes to their concerts, etc.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Just got this in my in box...

http://www.reverbnation.com/c./fr5/arti ... 9238f3be33

Levon Helm, Allen Toussaint, Nick Lowe, Richard Thompson and special appearances by Ray LaMontagne and Larry Campbell + The Imposters.

Put in my request for 2 tickets!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Just got this in my in box...

http://www.reverbnation.com/c./fr5/arti ... 9238f3be33

Levon Helm, Allen Toussaint, Nick Lowe, Richard Thompson and special appearances by Ray LaMontagne and Larry Campbell + The Imposters.

Put in my request for 2 tickets!
I'm in! Two tickets confirmed!!! :D :D
And No Coffee Table

Also:

September 21: Neko Case, Jesse Winchester, Sheryl Crow, Ron Sexsmith
http://www.1iota.com/events,4357,Specta ... th....html

September 23: Ray LaMontagne, Lyle Lovett, John Prine
http://www.1iota.com/shows,Spectacle:-E ... .,134.html
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Also:

September 21: Neko Case, Jesse Winchester, Sheryl Crow, Ron Sexsmith
http://www.1iota.com/events,4357,Specta ... th....html

September 23: Ray LaMontagne, Lyle Lovett, John Prine
http://www.1iota.com/shows,Spectacle:-E ... .,134.html
Nice. I'll be seeing Neko in November and saw her play at Newport, so I'm not too upset about missing that one. Thursday much better for me than Monday in any case.