New Vinyl Remasters of MAIT, TYM and AF

Pretty self-explanatory
thepopeofpop

New Vinyl Remasters of MAIT, TYM and AF

Post by thepopeofpop »

Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs are releasing limited edition vinyl remasters of the first three Elvis Costello albums:

http://70.47.98.201/soundbytes/mofi_summer09.htm
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
Top balcony

Re: New Vinyl Remasters of MAIT, TYM and AF

Post by Top balcony »

Methinks there is some misselling here :

" These ...titles won't last long..."

my 3 LPs originally purchased in '77/78/79 are still going strong and still sound and look fantastic

Colin Top Balcony
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://allmusicsite.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... ty_06.html

http://www.mofi.com/productcart/pc/view ... roduct=178

As an album that's notorious for being reissued umpteen times, Mobile Fidelity is thrilled to present the one edition of My Aim Is True that every fan needs to own. Mastered from the original master tape,not from copies as so many other versions are ,and pressed on 180-gram vinyl, this numbered limited-edition LP presents the music with peerless clarity, purity, and transparency, just how it was intended to be heard.

http://www.mofi.com/productcart/pc/view ... roduct=179

This Year's Model

Mastered from the original tapes, Mobile Fidelity's numbered limited-edition 180-gram LP brings it all to the forefront like never before. Punchier, gutsier, and livelier than any of the myriad CD remasters, this analog edition offers a transparent window onto the Attractions' loose interplay and rabid rhythms.

http://www.mofi.com/productcart/pc/view ... roduct=180

Armed Forces

Mastered from the original tapes, Mobile Fidelity's numbered limited-edition 180-gram LP presents the vibrant dynamics of the timeless pop songs in the highest possible fidelity. This album has never sounded so full, rich, airy, spacious, detailed, or necessary. The textures and voicings of Nieve's keyboards are alone worth the investment. This will have you dancing in the aisles!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

If those tracklists are to be believed, they're using the UK lineups for My Aim Is True and This Year's Model and the combined UK/US lineup for Armed Forces.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A poster to the Steve Hoffman forum is expecting his copy of MAIT soon; ' The others ( TYM, AF) are pushed back until after Xmas because RTI is backed up. '

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showt ... t=costello

Updated, current links -

MAIT
http://www.musicdirect.com/product/85601

TYM
http://www.musicdirect.com/product/85602

AF
http://www.musicdirect.com/product/85603
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://myvinylreview.blogspot.com/2009/ ... l-180.html

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Elvis Costello -- My Aim Is True MFSL 180 gram vinyl

Posted by My Vinyl Review

(extract)

The 180 gram vinyl is housed in Mofi's own rice paper style poly inner sleeve. The gatefold cover is made of heavy cardstock and features the original black and white cover photo from the U.K. Stiff release. Inside the gatefold, are photos of the original UK analog tape boxes, perhaps to emphasize their use of the original masters.

Immediately upon listening to the Mofi vinyl, it is clear that mastering engineer Shawn Britton worked with a much higher quality source than was used for the original Columbia vinyl. Most would agree that to this point, the original UK Stiff vinyl, while not perfect, is the best this album has ever sounded. The Stiff has a characteristically British sound to it--rich in the lower mids, and somewhat rolled-0ff in the upper frequencies. And those original EQ choices present the songs with a smooth, never-bright sound and deliver Costello's voice with a full, lower-midrange richness. The weakness of the Stiff is that the sound can get a bit muddy when vocals, guitars, bass, keyboards, and drums are all competing for a place in the mix.

This new Mofi mastering addresses the primary shortcoming of the Stiff--the tendency to get muddy--by mastering their version with more upper-mids and highs, and a bit less of the lower midrange richness found on the Stiff pressing. The overall result is a more balanced sound than the Stiff, with songs such as Miracle Man, No Dancing, and Blame it on Me, holding it together better than they do on the Stiff. Similarly, on the Mofi, the kick and snare drums seem to come out from underwater during songs such as Alison, (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes, and Waiting For the End of the World. One song, Sneaky Feelings, that sounds congested and flat on the Stiff, really comes to life on the Mofi and should be an improvement to even those who shudder at the hint of any brightness.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

MAIT vinyl arrived on my doorstep this morning. I'm going to wait until I get my new cartridge and preamp before I throw it on the old Technics. Beautifully packaged - really heavy cardstock used on the jacket.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.musicangle.com/album.php?id=855

Elvis Costello (reissue)
My Aim Is True

Stiff/Mobile Fidelity MFSL 1-329 180g LP

Produced by: Nick Lowe
Engineered by: Bazza
Mixed by: N/A
Mastered by: Shawn R. Britton at Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs

Review by: Michael Fremer
2010-04-01

Though it was probably one of the most audacious debuts in rock history and quickly established him as one of the premier songwriters of his generation, Elvis Costello's My Aim is True has always felt more like a publisher's demo reel than as a recording intended for commercial release.

Backed up by members of the Bay area group Clover who were then living in the U.K. and recorded in a 24 hour hurry at a small suburban London studio for around $1500 My Aim is True still managed to capture the D.I.Y. spirit of the time so its sparse esthetic resonated with the intended audience.

Though Costello had toiled for almost a decade, his success was deemed 'overnight' because the album seemed to take off as quickly as it had been recorded. In short order, thanks to My Aim Is True, Elvis Costello became a major rock star.

While the quality of the songs like 'Alison' and 'The Angels Want to Wear My Red Shoes' trumped the glazed, often distant, indistinct sound (not to mention the outlandish Buddy Holly meets cerebral palsy cover pose and the cartoonish name Declan McManus chose for himself), My Aim is True has always been difficult to listen to, especially on a good audio system—until now.

I've got an original UK Stiff pressing (that omits the single 'Watching the Detectives' only found on the American Columbia issue) mastered by the great George 'Porky'Peckham and I would never bet against any 'Porky Prime Cut,' but in this case, the guys at Mobile Fidelity have not only beat Porky, they've produced a near miracle!

Heretofore buried in the glaze instruments now appear with utter clarity thanks to the timbral honesty and transparency of the new transfer from the original master tape. While the tracks are still raw and basic, they have newfound polish, body and three-diimensionality. If you're a fan of this pre-Attractions album, I think you'll be absolutely astonished by what Mobile Fidelity has done here.

You know the old expression 'you can't polish a turd?' Well as great as the music is here, the album has always been a sonic turd on vinyl (the Columbia original is markedly inferior to the Stiff 'Porky' pressing) and on any of the multiple CD reissues from Ryko to Rhino to UMG. Not so on this reissue.

Somehow Mobile Fidelity has removed the edge and glaze and not by smothering and softening, but rather by stripping away the unpleasantness to reveal an honest, supple, remarkably three-dimensional and immediate recording. I don't know how they did it or why no one else who tried managed, but they did.

The gatefold incorporates lyrics and images of the master tape boxes and Mobile Fidelity has generously and wisely included 'Watching the Detectives.'Add a fine 180 RTI pressing and you have one of Mobile Fidelity's most significant reissues. 'Resurrection' might be a more appropriate word for what's been done.

I'm not saying Mobile Fidelity has turned My Aim is True into an audiophile sonic spectacular, but if you're a long time fan of this album, when you hear the details that have been uncovered, along with the rhythmic clarity and certainty that's been previously missing on every other issue, you may conclude they have.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20003564-1.html

MoFi's thick vinyl pressings are superquiet
(Credit: Steve Guttenberg)

April 29, 2010

MoFi remasters, perfects LP sound

by Steve Guttenberg

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been perfecting the art of remastering audio since 1977. It currently offers a broad catalog of music, from Frank Sinatra and the Pixies to Yes and Little Richard on LP, SACD, and CD.

I recently chatted with Rob LoVerde, one of MoFi's mastering engineers, about how the company's remasters differ from the original label's product.

First and foremost, he said that every MoFi LP--which was originally recorded to analog--is cut from an analog master tape. That's interesting because ever since digital came onto the scene, most, probably about 99 percent, of LPs for sale now are cut from digital masters. So unless you're already buying MoFi LPs, you still haven't heard what a pure analog recording sounds like--older LPs, pressed before the 1980s are all-analog.

Second, LoVerde said that MoFi never uses dynamic range compression. Virtually every new recording is compressed during recording, mixing and mastering. But MoFi eliminates the last compression stage. He also said that equalization is either avoided completely or used sparingly.

LoVerde came to MoFi from Sony, so I was curious about how the two companies approached mastering. At Sony, LoVerde worked within a team, at MoFi each mastering project he takes on is controlled entirely by him. And at Sony, LoVerde had to work fast and complete one or two projects a day. At MoFi he can take his time and track down the best possible master tape. I was surprised to learn that LoVerde doesn't go out of his way to listen to previous remasters. Instead, he's trying to transfer as much of the original master's sound to the final product as possible.

The analog master is also used for MoFi's SACDs and CDs. That means MoFi's analog sourced SACDs are totally PCM-free, which is extremely rare. Most SACDs on the market have at least some PCM digital in them, which means they're not really delivering the format's true potential. MoFi SACDs are the real deal, pure SACD--using Direct Stream Digital DSD coding.

LoVerde said he knows that MoFi customers expect the best possible transfer, so he can't let a "good enough" mastering leave the plant. MoFi has occasionally bailed on a project because the sound wasn't up to its standards.

I listened to a stack of MoFi vinyl and the sound was awesome. Yes, there's more bass, a near absence of vinyl's old friends--clicks and pops--but it's the clarity improvements that were the most impressive.

That was abundantly evident with "The Cars" first LP. My old vinyl copy sounds anemic, dynamically squashed flat, with zippy, overly bright cymbals. The sound was so bad I never really liked the Cars' music; however, now after listening to MoFi LP, my opinion of the band's sound is completely transformed. The music is so much better than I ever thought it was. Sound quality really does matter.

Elvis Costello's first, pre-Attractions LP, "My Aim Is True" on MoFi sounds more natural, less crunchy and brittle than my trusty Columbia pressing. Sound dynamics are way better on the MoFi, the Columbia LP is squished to the point it sounds drab. I know it's a cliche, but a MoFi LP really does sound more like a master tape.

Linda Ronstadt's "Hasten Down the Wind" LP is a gem. Its production is perfect, letting her voice be the star. Also, her LA band sounds killer, but there's something about the music's dynamics that communicate more of Ronstadt's soul. Man, she wails like Aretha Franklin on "Down So Low." The record is so quiet I can hear the original recording's analog tape hiss, and I think it's great that MoFi didn't try to mask that.

Another remastering standout was Frank Sinatra's "Live in Paris" LP. This 1962 set, with a sextet instead of his usual big band, is breathtaking in its vivid, you-are-there sound. Sinatra is having a ball, playing with a select group of Hollywood recording studio and jazz veterans. It's a mono recording, but the soundstage is so huge that I didn't even notice at first that it wasn't in stereo. It's easily the best live Sinatra recording in my collection.

MoFi also makes SACDs and sent me two of its recent remasters: The Band's "Rock of Ages" and the Pixies' "Doolittle." They both have an analog warmth that you never hear from CDs; the Pixies title is also available on MoFi LP.

MoFi's LP packaging is deluxe. Its color reproduction is done to a high standard, with heavy cardboard, a protective inner sleeve, and a plastic liner that are first class; its SACDs are done the same way in a smaller package, with a LP-like cardboard sleeve. The LPs are pressed in California; SACDs in Austria.

Sure, the $30 LP, SACD, and CDs are expensive, but if MoFi has music you've loved your whole life it's worth splurging on. Or buy some for your significant other, they make great gifts!

All MoFi remasters are limited editions of less than 5,000 units and sometimes just 2,000 are pressed. Out-of-print MoFis can easily fetch three or more times their original price, so get 'em while you can.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/85603?utm_campaign=

ELVIS COSTELLO - ARMED FORCES (NUMBERED LIMITED EDITION 180g LP)

Mfr/Label: MOBILE FIDELITY
Sku: LMF331
Category: Upcoming MoFi Releases
Release Date: JULY 2010*
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

why do they spoil the classic artwork with the orginal amster recording banner!!!!
funkygibbon666

Post by funkygibbon666 »

Well I took delivery of TYM and AF Mofi LPs yesterday and got to say - v impressed. Even after all these years I'm hearing new little things and sounds jumping out at me. I found the MAIT MoFi pressing a little quiet and lacked brightness. However these two have plenty of punch, depth and a wonderful vivid soundstage.

Ok so no fancy packaging with Armed Forces and the US tracklisting but blimey they have done a top notch job on these releases. They are pricey but if you want to hear these albums at the best they can be then its here
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Detailed review of Armed Forces re-issue-

http://www.musicangle.com/album.php?id=901
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Too lazy to read the entire thread, but MoFi also has a double 45rpm version of Get Happy!! planned.

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp ... %202-45334

Just ordered TYM and AF - already had MAIT.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Enjoying these as the snow falls this afternoon here in New York. Oh my do they sound fantastic!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Here's a vinyl 'rip ' of Get Happy!!-

http://audiophile13.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... s-get.html
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Bundle on sale for $79.99+tax/shipping until 6PM (EDT) today:

http://www.popmarket.com/details/308781 ... d=30877653
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

About €95 - incl. shipping - to Europe....
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

Yes, I was in the final stages of purchasing these (about £50.00 for the three of them, which is a 'bargain'), when they waked on £25.00 in shipping costs! That's very unusual for them - I usually have free shipping from them, even to the UK ... I sent them an email to ask them what this was all about!

Custom charges would have been another £20 or £30 ...