johnfoyle

Re: EC to Tour Australia in October

Post by johnfoyle »

Here's that text -

Elvis Costello's talent for reinvention

Iain Shedden

July 10, 2009

The Australian

ELVIS Costello is in Boston being a dad. His twin two-year-old sons Dexter and Frank are in the next room, "dismantling the furniture", while their father takes time out to discuss, among many topics, his new country-roots album, his emergence as a chat-show host and his imminent arrival in Australia for a solo tour.

"Their mum should be here any time," he says, referring to his wife, singer Diana Krall.

"Diana has been off in the midwest and on some very long journeys," he goes on. "I just finished my run of dates and I'm off again in a few days' time, so this has given them the opportunity to have a few days off from travelling with their mother."

Getting all four members of the Costello-Krall clan in the same room is not easy. With both parents regularly on the road but rarely together, the boys are well travelled.

"They are good travellers and they're genial lads, and they seem to enjoy the different environments," Costello says. "There are a lot of dinosaur museums in Canada, for example, and great parks full of squirrels to chase."

We won't be seeing the whole family when Costello gets here in October, however. "One of these days we'll all come down together," he says.

Costello, 54, clearly is enjoying his parental role, even if it means a constant juggle of schedules and family life, but then he has never been one to sit still.

It's 32 years since Less Than Zero, Costello's first single on the Stiff label, announced the London-based Liverpudlian as a singer and songwriter who was operating in a slightly different headspace from other acts rising on the tide of punk rock.

Since then his career has bobbed and weaved down many musical corridors, from country to jazz, soul and rock, to name a few, while collaborations with artists as diverse as Burt Bacharach and the Brodsky Quartet have added further credence to his enduring love of music and performing in all its forms.

His latest trip, a journey he has been on twice before with the albums Almost Blue (2001) and King of America (2006), is down the country road, to Nashville in fact, where for three days last year he teamed up with friend and producer T-Bone Burnett (who also produced King of America) to record Secret, Profane & Sugarcane.

It's typically sharp and witty, with Costello applying his lyrical flair to tunes steeped in Nashville's country credentials, although more in the sense of Hank and Lucinda Williams than Brad Paisley or Faith Hill.

Nor is it all strictly country. The title track, for example, co-written with Burnett, is a sprawling bawdy romp through the US in a Randy Newman-meets-ragtime vein, with encounters in every town along the lines of "the women of Poughkeepsie take their clothes off when they're tipsy".

"T-Bone and I had written the opening few verses and then others were added along the way," Costello says. "It became a game to add something for each town we were in. It took on another life." It may do again when he gets here. "There are some pretty good rhyming possibilities from Australia, let me warn you," he says.

It's not just Costello's music that has taken on a new life in the past 12 months. The singer has reinvented himself, successfully, as a chat-show host with his television show Spectacle, interviewing and performing with like-minded souls such as his wife, Kris Kristofferson, Elton John and Sheryl Crow, among others. The show has been screening here on ABC2. Costello says he has enjoyed being on the other side of the interview table and has committed to doing another series later this year.

"It was surprising to me," he says. "I'd been asked a number of times to do something on TV talking about music. All the elements came together in this production."

Stars weren't falling over themselves to get on air with him in the beginning, he admits.

"When you try to plan something like this you're asking for some of the most difficult people to book in the world to become available to you," he says. "And of course when you're dealing with something unseen you have the other problem of having to convince people to trust you."

Once that trust is established, he says, "you can get to the other side of the personality because they are a little bit more relaxed talking to someone who does the same job as them and not being analysed. I have no desire to trip them up. There's nothing to be gained by trying to score points over them. It's not that kind of show. I'm not trying to be clever. I'm interested in what they have to say."

It helps, of course, if you already know some of the musos you're talking to andCostello has no shortage of musical mates. John, for example, is the show's executive producer and he hosted Costello and Krall's wedding on his English estate seven years ago.

"Elton came on to illustrate how the show could celebrate other people," Costello says. "When he and I talk about music I'm always amazed at the stuff he knows. He knows much more than me about new releases. His knowledge is quite astounding. That isn't the first thing people think of him. They think of the flamboyant image and they don't realise that behind all the hit records that he has had is someone with a deep-rooted knowledge, and love and appreciation of music."

In the past few months Costello has been touring in several guises, including with the Sugarcanes, who mostly played on the new album, as well as the Imposters, the rock outfit with which he performed in Australia five years ago. He also has played recently with the Brodsky Quartet, which joined him here in 2005.

Definitely not sitting still, then.

"There's no question of it being routine," he says. "It might sound a little eccentric to keep changing like that, but that's the way I like it." Being on stage, in whatever form and whenever the mood takes him, is what keeps everything fresh, he says.

"One of the healthiest things that has happened in the music business is that we are not sitting around waiting to have our lives changed by the noblesse oblige of record companies," he says. "We still make records but make them with a slightly different expectation. It's a good thing that you have to get out there and play, that's where it all started. Nothing is better than being in a room playing music to other people."

This time, in Australia, it's just him and a few of his favourite guitars on stage.

"That gives me a lot of freedom to range around," he says.

"I can pick any songs I want. It's one of my favourite ways to play and I don't get to do it very often.

"One thing people seem surprised at when I play solo is that it isn't ballad music. I play it like a rock'n'roll show."

It should be a show worth catching.

In the meantime, Costello and Krall are looking forward to a few quality days together with the twins.

"I'm just trying to live my life and to watch my two little boys grow up, and in between times I get to play music," he says. "I'm just trying to take care of my family like everyone else does."

Elvis Costello's solo tour begins in Fremantle on October 8 and travels to Melbourne, Hobart, Canberra, Sydney and Brisbane. Secret, Profane & Sugarcane is out through UMA.
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

Here's the promoter's web page for the Elvis Costello Australian tour:

http://www.chuggentertainment.com/tour/223

According to Ticketek, who are selling tickets for 3 of the venues, there is a pre-sale starting on July 15th which can only be accessed by Ticketek members. That's for the Sydney, Brisbane and Canberra shows. The Hobart show tickets will be available from the venue or online at wrestpoint.com.au, the Fremantle show tickets are handled by Heatseeker and the Melbourne tickets are sold through Ticketmaster.

Tickets for Sydney, Fremantle, Brisbane and Canberra on sale to general public: July 21, 9am. No information is currently available for when the Hobart or Melbourne tickets go on sale.

Tickets are $105 and $82 for the Fremantle show.

Shows so far confirmed:

Thursday 8 October
Fremantle Arts Centre

Saturday 10 October
Palais Theatre, Melbourne

Sunday 11 October
Wrest Point Entertainment Centre, Hobart

Wednesday 14 October
Royal Theatre, Canberra

Thursday 15 October
Enmore Theatre, Sydney

Sunday 18 October
Convention Centre, Brisbane
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Ah well, guess he was due a trip down under.
I was hoping for some European dates before the end of the year, but this seems unlikely if the report is true about filming a 2nd season of Spectacle before the end of the year..

Still, that's good news in itself.

So a concert debut in Singapore before Australia. Speaking of new territories, I wonder why artists don't seem to play much in Mexico, or other parts of Central America? He seems to play Spain (and many other countries) so it's not a language thing.

I'm not bothered, more chance of seeing him in other places! Just an observation
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.asp ... _Australia

Elvis Costello To Tour Australia

by Paul Cashmere - July 12 2009

Elvis Costello will return to Australia in October and this time he is bringing no-one with him.

Costello has toured with The Attractions, The Imposters and in a concert appearance with only Steve Nieve. This time he is solo.

The Australian tour is off the back of his new country album ‘Secret, Profane and Sugarcane’. Costello recorded the album in Nashville over a three day period.

Albert Records latest signing Shelley Harland will be special guest on the tour.

http://www.sonymusic.com.au/artist/info ... tId=192840

http://auspop.blogspot.com/2009/03/shel ... onder.html

http://www.myspace.com/shelleyharland
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Let's hope some decent recordings show up. Funny but out of my boot collection, I'd say less than 5 per cent are Aussie
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

The imposter wrote:Let's hope some decent recordings show up. Funny but out of my boot collection, I'd say less than 5 per cent are Aussie

YES...you are RIGHT imp about we MUST keep our fingers crossed for recordings. please dear God, let the guy who recorded this MONSTER of a show still be into recording. I LEFT MY HONDA OUTSIDE; one of my FAVE boots EVER!!! wish i wuz there!

Concert 1985-06-25 Melbourne
From ElvisCostello
(Redirected from Concert 1985-06-25)
Jump to: navigation, search
Venue
Melbourne, Melbourne Concert Hall
Musicians
Elvis Costello
The Coward Brothers
Setlist
01. Pump It Up / Subterranean Homesick Blues
02. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
03. Green Shirt
04. Hand In Hand
05. Accidents Will Happen
06. Shot With His Own Gun
07. Everyday I Write The Book
08. Girls Talk
09. What I Like Most About You Is Your Girlfriend
10. Alison / You Win Again
11. No Reason To Quit
12. Next Time 'Round
13. Suffering Face
14. The Big Light
15. Indoor Fireworks
16. Substitute
17. Blue Chair
18. Deportee
19. New Amsterdam
20. American Without Tears
21. Brilliant Mistake
22. Worthless Thing
23. Little Palaces
24. Sleep Of The Just
25. Inch By Inch
26. Riot Act
27. I'll Wear It Proudly
28. Ragged But Right - The Coward Brothers
29. Ring Of Fire - The Coward Brothers
30. The People's Limousine - The Coward Brothers
31. Twist And Shout - The Coward Brothers
32. Midnight Oil - The Coward Brothers
33. Tom Dooley - The Coward Brothers
34. Betrayal
35. Oliver's Army
36. Pills And Soap
37. Shipbuilding
38. My Youngest Son Came Home Today
39. End Of The Rainbow
40. Having It All
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

bronxapostle wrote:
The imposter wrote:Let's hope some decent recordings show up. Funny but out of my boot collection, I'd say less than 5 per cent are Aussie

please dear God, let the guy who recorded this MONSTER of a show still be into recording. I LEFT MY HONDA OUTSIDE; one of my FAVE boots EVER!!!

Concert 1985-06-25 Melbourne
From ElvisCostello
(Redirected from Concert 1985-06-25)
Jump to: navigation, search
Venue
Melbourne, Melbourne Concert Hall
Musicians
Elvis Costello
The Coward Brothers
Setlist
01. Pump It Up / Subterranean Homesick Blues
02. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
03. Green Shirt
04. Hand In Hand
05. Accidents Will Happen
06. Shot With His Own Gun
07. Everyday I Write The Book
08. Girls Talk
09. What I Like Most About You Is Your Girlfriend
10. Alison / You Win Again
11. No Reason To Quit
12. Next Time 'Round
13. Suffering Face
14. The Big Light
15. Indoor Fireworks
16. Substitute
17. Blue Chair
18. Deportee
19. New Amsterdam
20. American Without Tears
21. Brilliant Mistake
22. Worthless Thing
23. Little Palaces
24. Sleep Of The Just
25. Inch By Inch
26. Riot Act
27. I'll Wear It Proudly
28. Ragged But Right - The Coward Brothers
29. Ring Of Fire - The Coward Brothers
30. The People's Limousine - The Coward Brothers
31. Twist And Shout - The Coward Brothers
32. Midnight Oil - The Coward Brothers
33. Tom Dooley - The Coward Brothers
34. Betrayal
35. Oliver's Army
36. Pills And Soap
37. Shipbuilding
38. My Youngest Son Came Home Today
39. End Of The Rainbow
40. Having It All
Maybe his Honda got towed away..So THAT'S why we didn't hear from him again. :D
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

you do have that show right IMP??? anybody have ARTWORK for it?
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

bronxapostle wrote:you do have that show right IMP??? anybody have ARTWORK for it?
Nope :cry:
From that era I only have Tokyo from July 1 1985

That looks a stupendously long set

My Aussie boots...
Sydney 82,99 and 04..
Even less than I thought
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

That setlist above is blowing my mind! Wow! That must have been the greatest show ever! Was it just Elvis & T-Bone?
Jeez!
Inch By Inch? Deportee? Next Time Round? I think I might sell my soul to hear those songs in concert.
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
InvisibleMan

Post by InvisibleMan »

impressive setlist, indeed.
io strombazzo!

Ombre nel sole
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Enmore Theatre, Thursday 15th October, row F, seat 5... I'm getting excited already and it's still 3 months away... and just three days later I will be at the MotoGP at Philip Island in Victoria. What a week!!

Anybody else going to be at the concert and want to meet up?
toofargone

Post by toofargone »

Hi Tim(e). I have Enmore Row F seats 1&2. I got a bit worried when I checked the seating plan after purchase. It looks like a whole section of gen. adm. standing bodies in front of seated section, but I am hopeful this plan does not apply for EC? I am in Vic & still trying for good seats for Melb & Hobart.

I checked my old stubs - I was at the Melb. Concert Hall 1985-06-24 - missed Ypsilanti's "greatest show ever" by a day. I don't recall that show being particularly better than the usual we come to expect. The standout show for me was Melb. Concert Hall 1999-01-29. EC was coming down with a bug which was obviously affecting his voice, but the huskiness seemed to add further character to his voice. He kept praising the audience for their understanding and to a fantastic reception he did 4 encores! Then over the next few days he had to cancel shows in Adelaide & Perth. I felt so priveleged.

There might not be many Aussie boots, but did you know the video for "I wanna be loved" was filmed at Melbourne's Flinders St. station?
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

toofargone wrote:There might not be many Aussie boots, but did you know the video for "I wanna be loved" was filmed at Melbourne's Flinders St. station?
Yes, and that Shipbuilding was probably WRITTEN there.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

toofargone wrote:Hi Tim(e). I have Enmore Row F seats 1&2.
There might not be many Aussie boots, but did you know the video for "I wanna be loved" was filmed at Melbourne's Flinders St. station?
Great stuff!! Just look down the row a few seats then and say hello... I am the old grey haired, bespectacled doofus (hey, I think I just described a large portion of the audience).

And further to the I Wanna Be Loved clip, Veronica was also filmed t the same time in an old house in Melbourne (near Prahran)... a friend of mine did wardrobe for it. Both clips were filmed by Rich Kids studio.
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

I have a boot somewhere of a GCW show from Melbourne May 84
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Promo interview ; nothing new -

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0 ... 68,00.html

Support act Shelley Harland used to be a private detective -

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0 ... 64,00.html
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.abc.net.au/local/audio/2009/ ... 652342.htm

Elvis secrets revealed

He could have been a late night talk show host but instead he's discussing secrets on 702 Breakfast.

Elvis Costello has had a music career of around 30 years so it's no surprise that he may have spoken to a few people more than once but he has special significance for Adam Spencer as Costello was Adam's first interview he had hung around after a concert to get, back in about 1990.

Catching up to chat about his new album, Secret, Profane and Sugarcane, the English music veteran also responds to press criticism, reveals his choice of vices, admits he likes playing free concerts, and foreshadows his coming October Australian tour dates.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Besides the usual stuff , Elvis is asked why he included the London Independent's hostile review of 'Secret...' on his official site. He says something along the lines of wanting to include an example of the bitter, twisted reviews he gets in the U.K. and to remind himself how glad he is that it has been c.20 years since he has lived there.

http://elviscostello.com/

The Independent: 29th May 2009: Andy Gill.

A shoddy set of barrel-scrapings overall, lacking both focus and impetus.

The original, full review -

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 92397.html
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

John H posts to listserv-

Additional dates are now listed for Sydney and Melbourne

http://www.elviscostello.com/
http://www.pollstar.com/resultsArtist.aspx?ID=59064

2009-10-05 Singapore
2009-10-08 Fremantle
2009-10-10 Melbourne
2009-10-11 Hobart
2009-10-13 Melbourne - NEW
2009-10-14 Canberra
2009-10-15 Sydney
2009-10-17 Sydney - NEW
2009-10-18 Brisbane
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertainmen ... ntentSwap2

Sydney Morning Herald

Angry punk to country gent

Greg Truman

September 25, 2009

Inner-Sydney pawn shop owners be advised: if a 55-year-old man in a purple fedora with heavy-rim glasses wanders in and insists on trying that long-forgotten 20-watt amplifier stashed on the top shelf, let him crank it up.

Sure, he may look like a cross between a 1970s pimp and a 15th-century minstrel and mutter breathlessly about Hank Cochran, Merle Haggard, George Jones, even Burt Bacharach, but be assured he's good for the cash.

That's because Elvis Costello has sold millions of records during a 34-year career and is considered one of the greatest songwriters of his generation, exploring and advancing musical styles including rock, pop, soul, blues, country, showtune and classical.

Fresh from the surprisingly successful release of Secret, Profane and Sugarcane, a chunky bluegrass 'n' country platter, and a tour of North America with his bands the Sugarcanes and the Imposters that generated drooling praise, Costello is heading to Australia, ostensibly to play solo concerts in major cities. But the London-born songwriter's catholic tastes in music extend to the tools of his trade and he's been known to rummage through orphaned instruments and battered record collections in search of underappreciated gems.

While Costello notes it's becoming increasingly difficult to find precious pieces of vinyl - ''Have you tried to find a good record shop lately? It's pretty hard, like an Easter egg hunt'' - he also still likes to explore the potential of less-appreciated instruments.

Memorably, before recording his splendid 2002 rock, pop and snarl album When I Was Cruel, Costello's keen eye sighted a cheap, harsh-to-the-ears, 15-watt Sears Roebuck amp perched in the window of a second-hand store.

''I was in Red Bank, New Jersey, to see Lucinda Williams and I happened to come across it and I thought: 'That looks like an amp that could do some damage.' And it proved to be,'' Costello says.

Unfortunately, the amp didn't survive a flood at a Dublin warehouse, where it had been stored lovingly after contributing extensively to When I Was Cruel, but Costello knows there are other noise-makers out there waiting to be exploited.

However, for his latest venture, Secret, Profane and Sugarcane, acoustic instruments were the weapons of choice. In the hands of some of Nashville's finest musos, Costello and producer T-Bone Burnett churned some killer bluegrass and a bunch of country finery during sit-down sessions over only three days.

Whereby some of Costello's earlier ventures into acoustic, country-ish sounds - notably 1986's King of America, also produced with Burnett - met with lukewarm critical response, Secret, Profane and Sugarcane has been widely embraced and lauded. It entered the Billboard charts at 13, giving Elvis his best US showing on debut since Get Happy!! in 1980 and is roundly tipped as a front runner to take the gong in the new Grammy award category of Americana.

While his shows at the Enmore will visit his on-going love of country and conjure a bit of rock'n'roll mayhem, there's no chance Costello will invite Burnett to join him on stage to revive their occasional on-stage partnership as the Coward Brothers. ''The Coward Brothers are kind of like a blue moon; they don't turn up very often,'' Costello says.

''I am playing solo, which I think will take people by surprise when they hear it, because they are probably expecting something a lot mellower but I believe that the central part of the rock'n'roll I like was always just one guy with a guitar. It wasn't until it got a lot louder that it really needed all those people.''

Costello has toured Australia numerous times since his first, notorious gig with the Attractions in Sydney on December 3, 1978, when the angriest bespectacled young man in music sparked riotous scenes at the Regent Theatre by walking off after a 50-minute set and refusing to return for an encore.

In those days, Costello was a public upstart, spitting clever lyrics, thrashing an old Telecaster and accentuating his naturally adenoid-heavy vocal stylings in the interest of standing out from the crowd.

Critical and commercial success in Britain, the US and Australia came quickly but once the pop rebel thing died down, Costello was forced to examine his musical roots, a practice he has embraced during the decades.

''Once I'd made five albums, I'd worn out that way of writing,'' Costello says. ''The next record I wanted to do was of other people's songs and it happened to end up a country record [Almost Blue].''

Country music had been nibbling away at Costello's sensibilities since the late '60s, when pop band the Byrds started dipping its folk-rock toes in traditional country music. That led to young Declan Patrick MacManus - his real name - investigating the country-tinged experiments of musicians such as Gram Parsons and their profound influence on other streams of contemporary music.

''At that point, I thought: 'You mean that wall can fall down?' Cause I saw that as totally separate worlds. Once I knew they weren't separate worlds, everything became a lot clearer,'' he says. ''You start listening more broadly. Maybe there's a moment in your life for this record and there's a moment in your life for that record. And that's kinda why I haven't made the same record over and over again. That's just the way I feel.''

That audiences worldwide have stuck with him through those genre convulsions is not only a tribute to Costello's talent as a songwriter but also his passion for music.

You hear it during his on-stage banter, his engaging stints as an interviewer of his peers on the television show Spectacle (a second series is in the works) and in conversation with the man. He's like the evolved version of that slightly weird kid you used to know with a great record collection who knows just a little bit too much about relatively obscure artists.

Sometimes ornery, often impatient with the music business, Costello made noises about ending his recording career a few years ago. ''It actually cleared my head to say that out loud,'' he says.

''Then I made about three [records],'' he adds, laughing.

His love of live performance has never waned and, on evidence of his recent US concerts, he is at the top of his considerable powers. Sydney audiences can expect up to three hours of the extraordinary.

All hail the new King of Americana.
ELVIS COSTELLO

October 15 (sold out) and 17 (tickets available), Enmore Theatre, 9550 3666, $88.50.
toofargone

Post by toofargone »

Win a chance to meet EC in Oz!

http://search.abc.net.au/search/search. ... s+costello

Hey - Just found out - ABC radio is running various competitions in each state to meet EC backstage. Looks like you have to be a resident of that state to enter. For Melb. 774 AM 7pm-10pm are playing 1 song per night, Mon 28/9 - Fri 2/10. You have to name 3 of the songs. Problem for me is I might be able to catch Thurs & Fri songs, but Mon-Wed have already gone through to the keeper. Anyone likely to know someone who might know the other songs? I'll show you mine if you show me yours?

I've got tickets for Melbourne Sat. 10th / Hobart Sun. 11th / Sydney Thurs. 15th - bring it on!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »