"The Worst of Elvis Costello"

Pretty self-explanatory
InvisibleMan

Re: "The Worst of Elvis Costello"

Post by InvisibleMan »

FAVEHOUR wrote:Agree with you completely about God's Comic as a live song. On the record, it's actually a great track, cool bass playing and horns. I saw him do it at a soundcheck at the start of the 1987 Confederates tour, solo, when it was previously unperformed, and it sent chills down my spine (partly because I couldn't hear the words and thought it was more serious than it turned out to be).
in fact, it's not serious, it's VERY serious!

it's just saying something serious in a comical disguise.
io strombazzo!

Ombre nel sole
InvisibleMan

Post by InvisibleMan »

miat: nothing.
tym: you belong to me, but there are other candidates.
am: none.
gh!!: beaten to the punch.
t: fish'n'chips paper, but also shot with his own gun. and maybe others.
ib: nothing really wrong, it seems to me.
ptc: none.
gcw: lots. comedians, i wanna be loved, joe porterhouse, deportee, sour-milk cow blues, the great unknown, peace in our time (terrible).
koa: eisenhower blues, for sure. many other candidates: i don't like this album much.
b&c: i hate batterd old bird! others: the irritating crime of paris, and i can't stand i want you anymore, with all that heavybreathedsexmaniac singing.
s: none.
mlar: after the fall, playboy to a man, broken.
tjl: lots.
by:maybe just about glad, maybe none. and for some reason, i stopped listening to favourite hour.
atub: lots. little atoms, for example.
pfm: the title-track, the long division and various others.
wiwc: oh, i don't know where to begin. ah: alibi.
n: many boring and syroupy moments, but overall it works.
tdm: the judgement is the one. not that the rest excites me (except for the scarlet tide).
m: dunno. listened only three times.
s,p&s: seemed completely weak to me. aside complicated shadows. "a brand new song".
Last edited by InvisibleMan on Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
io strombazzo!

Ombre nel sole
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

alexv wrote:ATUB: stand (like the song, can't stand the singing), atoms, angel
Among much heresy, the latter is serious heresy! I'm currently in an ATUB phase, and Distorted Angel is, I think, an entirely fabulous song. Original, clever, and very lovely.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
alexv

Post by alexv »

Otis, for some reason the song has never connected with me. I find the melody pretty at the beginning but it becomes repetitive after the first stanza. Musically, the song doesn't go anywhere. Kind of dirge-like. I don't like some of the lines (Though I was just a bit of a kid, it was the bit that she was looking for; Now I just don't know who to tell to go to hell). I do like one line (Pure illuminated sweetness). And I like the "angel" fadeout. The voice strains (adenoidal Elvis) in some places and that always jars me. Again, not a bad song. Very few bad songs by our Hero. Just not one that appeals enough to compare with the other songs from that record that I prefer.

Gotta go, but I was surprised by the reaction to my EC rant from you, Jackson and Sulky lad. Will get back to that later. Dinner awaits.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
alexv wrote:ATUB: stand (like the song, can't stand the singing), atoms, angel
Among much heresy, the latter is serious heresy! I'm currently in an ATUB phase, and Distorted Angel is, I think, an entirely fabulous song. Original, clever, and very lovely.
Agree entirely. Distorted Angel is an EC classic. Beautifully written and sung with an understated approach that I wish he'd use more often. It's almost like he isn't trying and the result is breathtaking. Some great lyrics as well. Superb song.
corruptio optimi pessima
wordnat

Post by wordnat »

YES! "Distorted Angel" is masterful. So is "Little Atoms" -- where's the love for that one?!?!?
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

I am filled with love for "Little Atoms"! One of my very most beloved EC songs--probably even in my top 10. It's utterly delicious!
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
Uncomplicated

Post by Uncomplicated »

Hey guys... it's been a while... I think I'll chime in on this one. I had a friend who I had turned into an Elvis fan after the release of Mighty Like A Rose. Not too long after that, his long time love had broken it off with him, to which he (seriously) proclaimed "Broken" to be his favourite song by Elvis or ANYONE at that time. Love makes you do & say crazy things I guess. Of those mentioned "Sour-Milk Cow Blues" has always been a least fav, along with Luxembourg and Eisenhower Blues.
It's in your eyes..... It's in your eyes.....