Elvis (solo) plays Singapore, 5 Oct. '09

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis (solo) plays Singapore, 5 Oct. '09

Post by johnfoyle »

http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayRelea ... 497&EDATE=

Highly-Anticipated 'Firsts' in Singapore Sun Festival 2009

Asia's premium lifestyle festival ups the ante to feature never-been-seen performances over the 10-day event

SINGAPORE, July 3 /PRNewswire-Asia/ -- The Singapore Sun Festival returns on the 3 to 12 October 2009 to celebrate the Art of Living Well. Featuring over 190 international artists and celebrities in more than 90 events, the Festival, which is held at some of Singapore's leading venues, will also be presenting new elements and several "first experiences" this year.

Kicking off with a gala performance at the Esplanade Concert Hall on Saturday, 3 October, audiences will be treated to a stunning world premiere ballet performance as part of the Opening Celebrations. Starring principal dancers of the renowned Bolshoi Theatre and Mariinsky Theatre, they will be sharing the stage for the first time in this unique collaboration under the artistic direction of Maxim Beloserkovsky and Irina Dvorovenko from the American Ballet Theatre.

Classical music highlights include concerts by one of the world's finest radio orchestras - Netherlands Radio Philharmonic Orchestra - visiting Singapore with its chief conductor and artistic director, Jaap van Zweden. The Orchestra will perform with glamorous soloists like Sir James Galway (8 October); 14 year-old prodigy, Conrad Tao and Russian Cellist, Nina Kotova (9 October); and a Singapore premiere performance by opera superstar Angela Gheorghiu (10 October) with tenor Marius Manea.

Another 'first' is the indoor film screenings with multi-talented and highly-respected Film star and Director, Joan Chen. As film curator for the Singapore Sun Festival, she will select eight unique films that depict the Art of Living Well for screening. In addition, Joan will also be conducting an on- stage interview facilitated by film writer Ben Slater at the Singapore Airlines Theatre at LASALLE College of the Arts - a brand new programming element that's included in this year's Festival.

Other 'first' celebrity appearances at the Festival include prolific author and spiritual advisor, Deepak Chopra, who will enlighten Festival-goers on their physical and mental wellbeing; whilst Nobel Laureate, Wole Soyinka, will expand the horizons of literary aficionados and playwrights as he shares his insights on writing for the stage; singer-songwriter, Elvis Costello, will be rocking Singapore at the Esplanade Concert Hall with his greatest hits at his one-night-only Singapore premiere concert!

The enigmatic secrets of flavorsome spices will also unravel as a new Indian cuisine component has been added to the festival for 2009. Experimental chef Floyd Cardoz, executive chef of groundbreaking New York restaurant Tabla, will be serving a myriad of sensational flavours that will leave guests hungry for more during the exclusive signature dinner and cooking class.

"The genius of modern French cuisine", Thierry Marx will be using the finest produce to express his avant-garde cuisine in Singapore! The two Michelin star chef will prepare gastronomic treats that perfectly match the finest Bordeaux wines, ensuring a unique and sumptuous experience for his diners at the Fullerton Hotel.

Visual Arts will be exciting in 2009, with newly-added interactive and themed workshops. Painting workshops will be conducted by contemporary painter Diana Francis at the Singapore Art Museum, and budding artists and painters will get to learn techniques and tips on producing vibrant oil paintings.

A unique "Singing Art" event will be hosted at the Asian Civilisations Museum by jazz artist, Claressa Monteiro, opening up a new perspective of art appreciation when music and the visual arts combine in this audio visual special event.

The Festival also celebrates Singapore's rich Peranakan heritage offering interactive guided charity tours at the Baba House. Festival-goers can also enjoy a showcase of over 300 pieces of intricately crafted Peranakan jewellery at the Peranakan Museum.

Jeff Fuhrman, Global Chief Operating Officer of IMG Artists, said, "In keeping with our aim to deliver premium international music and lifestyle events that are exclusive and fresh, we are proud to offer festival audiences a series of "firsts" in the Festival's 3rd year. The programme for the Singapore Sun Festival 2009 will have a spectacular line-up, featuring world- renowned celebrities and artists, boosting Singapore's position as a truly global entertainment and lifestyle destination."

Furthermore, in an effort to bring added enjoyment and magnificent experiences of fine living to Festival-goers, ticket prices to various events have also been reduced from the previous year and more free events have been included.

Mindy Coppin, Senior Vice President, Director of IMG Artists (Asia Pacific) and Executive Producer of the Singapore Sun Festival said, "We believe that living well can be experienced without an expensive price tag as we're all about advocating a high quality holistic and balanced way of life at any price."

Tickets for the Singapore Sun Festival events go on sale on 3 July and can be booked directly with SISTIC at http://www.sistic.com.sg ; SISTIC Hotline (65) 6348 5555; and all SISTIC authorized agents.

The Singapore Sun Festival also works with a group of selected travel agents around the region to offer special packages which include hotel accommodation and Festival tickets. Details of participating travel agents can be found on http://www.singaporesunfestival.com .

Join the Singapore Sun Festival online community on Facebook and Twitter.

The Singapore Sun Festival is the third and only Asian chapter of a global lifestyle brand owned by the international arts management group, IMG Artists. The Sun Festival is also celebrated annually in Cortona, Tuscany (Italy) and the Napa Valley, California (USA).

The Singapore Sun Festival is supported by the Singapore Tourism Board. For latest updates, visit http://www.singaporesunfestival.com and sign up on our mailing list today!

For media enquiries, please contact:

Wesley Gunter / Samuel Chua
Flame Communications
Tel: +65-6259-3193 / 6253-3193
Fax: +65-6259-0693
Email: wesley@flamecomms.com / samuel@flamecomms.com
Last edited by johnfoyle on Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis plays Singapore, Oct. '09

Post by johnfoyle »

http://tinyurl.com/la264j

ELVIS COSTELLO A Solo Performance
MONDAY 5 OCTOBER • 7.30 p.m.

Famous for his versatility and professionalism as a singer, composer
and musician, Elvis Costello has been influenced heavily by a wide
range of musical styles from well known artists such as George Jones,
Chet Baker, Johnny Cash, Robert Wyatt, Charles Brown to No Doubt.
Elvis is best known for his performances with The Attractions, The
Imposters and concert appearances with Steve Naïve as well as
acclaimed collaborations with Burt Bacharach, The Brodsky Quartet,
Paul McCartney, Swedish mezzo - soprano Anne Sofie von Otter, The
Charles Mingus Orchestra and guitarist Bill Frisell. The span of his
musical career has won him an impressive Oscar nomination for Best
Song – “The Scarlet Tide” sung by Alison Krauss in the motion picture
“Cold Mountain”, A Grammy Award for “I Still Have That Other Girl”
from his 1998 collaboration with Burt Bacharach, two Ivor Novello
Awards for songwriting, a Dutch Edison Award with The Brodsky Quartet
for “The Julian Letters” and a BAFTA for the music written with
Richard Harvey for Alan Bleasdale’s television drama series “G.B.H.”
among others. Don’t miss this opportunity to see and hear one of the
most prolific singer-songwriters of our time as he performs some of
his greatest hits in this one-night-only concert not to be missed!

DATE
5 Oct 2009

Elvis Costello: Solo Performance
Mon, 07:30PM

VIP Hospitality Tent Pass
Mon, 09:30PM

DURATION
Approx 90 mins

INTERVAL
Approx 20 mins

VENUE
Esplanade Concert Hall
1 Esplanade Drive

The Sun Tent @ Esplanade Park
Connaught Drive

TICKET PRICE (Exclude Booking Fee)
Elvis Costello: Solo Performance
Standard - S$148, S$128, S$88, S$68, S$48

Standard - S$88
Mikeh

Re: Elvis (solo) plays Singapore, 5 Oct. '09

Post by Mikeh »

I am sure Mr Foyle has his bag packed, his B&B booked, his front row seat reserved and his camera battery recharged. C'mon John we expect a full report.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Considering I've just had a load of inoculations for a trip to Africa in Sept. I suppose I would be ready for a jaunt in Asia. It, however, is highly unlikely!

What am I doing in Africa?

I'm glad you asked -

http://www.mycharity.ie/event/john_foyles_event/
paysfortheprivilege

Post by paysfortheprivilege »

I've procured 5 tickets and am already counting down to October... can't believe he's actually playing somewhere in Asia outside Japan!
Feck
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Welcome back 'Pays!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Indeed, and you get a record for most sporadic and least prolific poster! And the first in China, that I can recall. Very few ever from Asia, really. Do we take it from your signature that you're Irish and living in Shanghai, or just a fan of Father Ted? Enjoy the show!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Besides 'Pays, is anyone else here going to this?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Preview -

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2B ... 36674.html

ELVIS COSTELLO'S MUSIC PERFORMANCE

World-renowned English singer-songwriter Elvis Costello will perform at his first concert here. He has collaborated with famous composers such as Burt Bacharach and Paul McCartney.

Where: Esplanade Concert Hall MRT: City Hall When: Mon, 7.30pm Admission: $51 - $151 Tel: 6348-5555 Info: http://www.singaporesunfestival.com or log on to http://www.sistic.com.sg to book tickets

http://singaporesunfestival.com/2009/ev ... d=elviscos

Uh, oh -

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/ED ... ross-Spore

Oct 01, 2009

(extract)

SINGAPORE - The scene "felt like a Jurassic Park moment", according to one Shenton Way executive. The workday was winding down at around 6.15pm, when Mr MH Farik's chair began shaking. Then, the water in his mug began to slosh around.

As more items in his office started shaking vigorously, first giddiness, then panic set in among some colleagues. They abandoned their 13th-storey office at Keck Seng Tower, near Cecil Street. When Mr Farik got to the ground floor, "hundreds" were already downstairs. "It felt really scary to see items around us shaking so badly," he said.

Across Singapore, many had similar tales as they felt the tremors from the earthquake off Sumatra island 590km away.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i'm thinking....NEW SONGS!!!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

bronxapostle wrote:i'm thinking....NEW SONGS!!!!
Surely he needs to play a cover version of Tom Waits' "Singapore"!

I could actually see that working. Well, without the Cookie Monster voice.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

We sail tonight for SIngapore
We're all as mad as hatters here...
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

...I've fallen for a tawny whore...
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
The Deliveryman

Post by The Deliveryman »

Who Shot Sam? wrote: Surely he needs to play a cover version of Tom Waits' "Singapore"!

Oh, wow. That would be fantastic!
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

...so this is really Elvis' first time performing in Singapore? Does he have much of a following there? Does anyone know?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Preview -

http://www.sgthingstodotoday.com/daily- ... tober-2009

http://hamsterguppies.wordpress.com/2009/10/04/335/

October 4, 2009...4:19 pm

hamsterguppies posts

(extract)

We’re seeing Elvis Costello tomorrow! And I start my new job tomorrow too! Excitement. My new place of work is on the other side of the island to the Elvis Costello gig, so here’s hoping I get there on time.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

It's already 'tomorrow' in Singapore and it seems Elvis got a older , expat. audience -

http://panicnation.livejournal.com/62047.html

panicnation wrote,
@ 2009-10-06 04:30:00

Went to see Elvis Costello, but nobody told me I'd be the only Asian male under 30 there.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

From Twitter:
dsng wrote:Elvis Costello was awesome. A career-spanning set. One man and his guitar (okay and some looping).

Still on a post-show high despite the staid venue. He went through the hits - Alison, Oliver's Army (eliding the N word), (WSF'B)PL&U...

... And some new stuff. Liked the bawdy From Sulfur to Sugarcane. Oddly the 2nd time today I've heard a reference to Ypsilanti.

Other songs in set: Accidents Will Happen, Pump It Up, She, wife's All Or Nothing, Veronica. Mmm. Still think Alison was the highlight.
Unless someone has a better explanation, I have to assume "wife's All Or Nothing" is the standard "All Or Nothing At All," which Diana Krall has recorded.

More from Twitter:
eightysix: elvis costello is mad good. what a performer. storytelling travelling rocknrolling bluesman

jongresham: Elvis Costello was great. A man, a hat and 5 guitars & lotsa pedals. Watching The Detectives was brill!!!! 1978 yeah

auntyadele: Elvis Costello was trippy man. I don't know any of his songs.

pmorgan: Listening to spirited, intimate Elvis Costello, with whose music I am not overly familiar, at beautiful Esplanade Concert Hall

hamsterguppies: elvis costello was AMAZING! loves! so definitely worth the $18 cab ride from work
Otis Westinghouse

And No Coffee Table wrote:Oddly the 2nd time today I've heard a reference to Ypsilanti.
Clearly someone who's been frequenting the board!
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
And No Coffee Table wrote:Oddly the 2nd time today I've heard a reference to Ypsilanti.
Clearly someone who's been frequenting the board!
:lol: Hah! Clearly, my fame is spreading...
Wish I could say I sneaked out and flew to Singapore for the concert.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.rednano.sg/sfe/image.action? ... g=Costello

Description :
English singer-songwriter Elvis Costello performing at his Singapore concert held at the Esplanade Concert Hall on 5 October 2009. Costello gave a faultless acoustics performance at his concert that was held as part of the Singapore Sun Festival.

Source :
The Straits Times
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Video , including interview and part of , from the show , Either Side Of The Same Town -

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/video/index.php

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 66/1/.html

Elvis Costello performs to sell-out gig in Singapore

By Margaret Perry, Channel NewsAsia

11 October 2009

SINGAPORE - No band and no back-up singers - just Elvis Costello with his guitar, singing to a sell-out audience at the Esplanade Concert Hall on October 5.

The one-night gig was one of the several international acts performing at this year's Singapore Sun Festival.

"This is my first ever concert in Singapore. So by way of an introduction, I suppose I'm trying to guess what songs people would be curious to hear. I don't want to disappoint but at the same time, I hope there would be enough curiosity... so that I could contrast those titles with some newer songs that are close to my heart," said singer and composer Costello.

New Orleans R&B singer Alain Toussaint is one of many musicians with whom Costello has collaborated.

During his 30-year career, Costello's music has ranged from punk rock to country, and his songs have been performed by all types of singers, from opera divas to Dusty Springfield.

"I have a number of songs that have been covered, some of them by my favourite singers. I've had my songs sung by Chet Baker, George Jones and Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash so that's a pretty good collection of people," said Costello.

After Singapore, Costello flies to Australia for eight more performances. Then he's off to Europe, where he takes over family duties from his wife, Canadian singer Diana Krall, as she embarks on a European tour.

"Being married to another working musician who tours even more than I do, ... we share the responsibility for bringing up two very active three-year-olds. They are (always) with one of their parents. They’ve only spent two days of their lives without us," said Costello.

Aside from Costello, other big names in this year's Singapore Sun Festival included the man with the golden flute, Sir James Galway, who performed with the Netherlands Radio Philharmonic Orchestra. - CNA