New Member--Hello

Pretty self-explanatory
Ypsilanti

New Member--Hello

Post by Ypsilanti »

Hi Everybody!
I'm new here--just wanted to say hello & introduce myself.

I've loved Elvis' music since I first heard it years and years ago (that magical voice sucked me in right away), but I guess I became a more ardent fan about 2 years ago, I suppose as part of a mid-life crisis. I suddenly noticed that a lot of things I really loved in life (like music & art) had slipped away from me. I realized that I hadn't listened to any music at all--really almost nothing--for probably 10 years. Pathetic, right?

It happens that my spouse is pretty obsessed with Renaissance and pre-Renaissance Harpsichord, Clavichord & Viol music. This totally dominated our household, although I'm personally not a fan (to say the least!), and I always felt that if I put on a Rock & Roll CD I would screw up the vibe, so after a while I didn't bother anymore.

Anyway, I decided to get the music I loved back in my life, so along with some other old favorites, I pulled out my Elvis CDs. The more I listened, the more I wanted to hear. His songs were like a drug to me--I couldn't get enough. Finally I decided I was going to listen to all his music--everything I could get my hands on. Everything I had stupidly missed or overlooked while being distracted by everyday life.

I've been slowly working my way through the music, listening very carefully, album by album. It's been an incredibly enjoyable and enlightening process and it has led me down many unexpected musical paths. I also feel much more connected to myself again.

I've still got a few records to go--haven't heard Punch the Clock, Almost Blue and a few of his collaborations yet, but I'll get to them eventually. VERY excited about the new album coming out in June!

So, that's my story. This is what brings me to this message board. Thanks for reading this post & I look forward to many interesting conversations with you good people in the future.

Thanks again!
Ypsilanti
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
johnfoyle

Re: New Member--Hello

Post by johnfoyle »

Welcome!
' Ypsilanti ' is an interesting name to adopt . Hopefully you'll appreciate the rathered tortured use Elvis makes of it in 'Sulfur To Sugrcane' ! It's had me cringing each time I hear it in concert over the last few days .
always dancing

Post by always dancing »

You must be from outside Ann Arbor with that name. Welcome
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

In a way I envy your chance to work through Elvis' back catalog with fresh ears! The rest of us can just look forward to the new album... Welcome!
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Very cool. Welcome Ypsilanti!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Welcome! We are always excited to have anyone who is truly passionate about EC's music.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

welcome aboard YPSI!!! enjoy your time here...EVERYONE'S COOL! and dig the sounds.......
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Howdy! The mid-life crisis route to Elvis - I like it! I mean, it's not a liekable subject, a mid-life crisis, but it's a great story and the ending is happy.

For me Ypsilantti has only one association: 'For The Widows In Paradise, For The Fatherless In Ypsilanti', from Sufjan's 2003 Michigan.

Apparently Iggy lived there as a teen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ypsilanti,_Michigan

So does your spouse dig Elvis? Has the vibe been affected? Would be good to hear which songs and albums have particularly done it for you.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Thanks to everyone for the nice welcome!!

Yes, Otis, the musical vibe around here is much better than it used to be. The spouse actually does dig Elvis--considers him to be both a genius and a true Rock & Roll Badass. And I can't tell you how happy I am that the decades-long barrage of constant Harpsichord music is sort of over. At least now it's a fair mix.

I have to say...working through Elvis' back catalog has been pure pleasure. I've found very little not to love. I feel like each album is a unique statement from Elvis--a complete work of art, like a little universe. I've enjoyed them all. But the one album that really stunned me and just blew my socks off was North.

I won't say it's my "favorite" or the one I listen to the most, but it affected me very intensely. The music is strange and lovely and the story he tells is just incredible. He actually had balls enough to deal with the secret parts of falling in and out of love--not the stuff you see in movies--not the big dramatic kiss, but the paralyzing fear that shoots through you when you realize the one you're silently pining for has found you out. The level of fearlessness in those lyrics--in describing such subtle, personal emotions in such a direct way is really amazing to me. Those are real love songs about real love and real loss and I can't think of anything that compares to them.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

well said about NORTH! an underrated masterpiece!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Ypsilanti wrote:Thanks to everyone for the nice welcome!!

Yes, Otis, the musical vibe around here is much better than it used to be. The spouse actually does dig Elvis--considers him to be both a genius and a true Rock & Roll Badass. And I can't tell you how happy I am that the decades-long barrage of constant Harpsichord music is sort of over. At least now it's a fair mix.

I have to say...working through Elvis' back catalog has been pure pleasure. I've found very little not to love. I feel like each album is a unique statement from Elvis--a complete work of art, like a little universe. I've enjoyed them all. But the one album that really stunned me and just blew my socks off was North.

I won't say it's my "favorite" or the one I listen to the most, but it affected me very intensely. The music is strange and lovely and the story he tells is just incredible. He actually had balls enough to deal with the secret parts of falling in and out of love--not the stuff you see in movies--not the big dramatic kiss, but the paralyzing fear that shoots through you when you realize the one you're silently pining for has found you out. The level of fearlessness in those lyrics--in describing such subtle, personal emotions in such a direct way is really amazing to me. Those are real love songs about real love and real loss and I can't think of anything that compares to them.
Will you be going to the Beacon show on June 10?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
littletriggers

Post by littletriggers »

Belated greetings , when feeling low just play Punch The Clock and sing at the top of your voice , shower, car, Ipod, always brings me up ! Almost Blue is a close 2nd .
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Will you be going to the Beacon show on June 10?
Yes. I'm very excited about it. We'll be in Row A of the Loge.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

littletriggers wrote:Belated greetings , when feeling low just play Punch The Clock and sing at the top of your voice , shower, car, Ipod, always brings me up ! Almost Blue is a close 2nd .
Thank you! I think Punch the Clock will be next on my list.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Good celebration of North. I'm sure Elvis would be proud to read that. I haven't played it hardly since it was first out and you're making me want to return to it.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more