Wish List for Songs EC Might Play With The Sugarcanes

Pretty self-explanatory
cwr

Wish List for Songs EC Might Play With The Sugarcanes

Post by cwr »

Obviously, the tour with the Sugarcanes is going to mainly focus on the songs from the new record, and they also have all the other songs that were recorded during the album sessions that didn't make the cut. But since this is a new tour with a new band, playing in a bluegrass style, it's impossible to resist thinking of songs we might want to turn up in the setlists...

Personally, I think it'd be great if he pulled out any of the covers he did for the "George Jones Demos", like "Brilliant Disguise" or "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go." I've always wished that he would play some of the songs from The Juliet Letters in a different style, and if he can play songs from his Hans Christian Anderson opera in a bluegrass style, I see no reason why something like "Taking My Life In Your Hands" couldn't be attempted in a similar fashion.

It would be nice to hear some of his KOA songs, particular if he reaches beyond the few that are staples of his touring repertoire. "Indoor Fireworks" and "Poisoned Rose" are the KOA songs he tends to favor, but I'd love to hear him revisit something like "Our Little Angel", "Little Palaces" or even "Glitter Gulch" and "The Big Light." And it's been a long time since he's played "American Without Tears," hasn't it? I know I've never heard it at any show I've been to, and I started back in 1994...

"Starting To Come To Me" and "Shoes Without Heels" would be good to hear. God, he could retire every song he's played in concert in the last decade and he'd still have such a deep well of great songs to choose from.

Of course, there's always my favorite EC song-- "My Dark Life"-- the one tour where he was playing this regularly, he played it at the concerts before and after the night I saw. I don't know what a bluegrass arrangement of this one would sound like, but I'd love to hear him try it, just so I could hear it...
bronxapostle

Re: Wish List for Songs EC Might Play With The Sugarcanes

Post by bronxapostle »

IN ANOTHER ROOM!!!!!!!!!!!!
migdd

Post by migdd »

The waltz-time version of The Other Side of Summer would sound great with a bluegrass string band.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

I think "Girls Talk" might be good. Possibly also "Veronica" and "Next Time Round".
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

What a great idea for a topic!

First of all, you've got to consider the obvious: his country-modeled songs. "Stranger in The House", "Radio Sweetheart", "Motel Matches" would all seem plausible with "Different Finger" being a very dark horse candidate to be resurrected. Some of the lesser played MY AIM IS TRUE songs have to be considered, but I get the feeling he's more inclined to go to that well when he plays with any/all of the members of Clover in recent years. THE DELIVERYMAN could easily the a big source of songs for this tour, especially since "Hidden Shame" was the inspiration for the original song cycle, and "I Dreamed of My Own Lover" came out of it, as well.

The new album has a strong Johnny Cash theme though-out, with two songs he wrote for Johnny, and one song written about Johnny and June (it would seem). Therefore, could a Cash cover or two be worked in? "I Still Miss Someone" is the song Cash song EC has covered most frequently, but I think "Big River" (featured on "Spectacle") seems to better match the lyrics and tone of the new album. I would certainly love to hear it! He's also recently released a version of "Ring of Fire" (which I suspect might have partially inspired "This Crooked Line"). Aside from "Hidden Shame" (which seems like a virtual lock), I'd think the other EC song recorded by Johnny, "The Big Light" would have to be considered as well.

Speaking of which, EC might take another look at his prior work with T-Bone. KING OF AMERICA is the most natural fit, and this band seems like the first EC has worked with that could deliver the album arrangement of "Glitter Gulch". EC's evident fondness for "Indoor Fireworks" has to put it into contention. "Poisoned Rose" would seem a natural fit, but it previously received a radical revamp on the Touissant tour, and he might want to dig deeper. Personally, I'd love for him to dig out any of the final trilogy of songs that close the album. Perhaps even some of it's outtakes. "King of Confidence" and "Suffering Face" would be most welcome. "People's Limousine" might even make a reappearance, as Jim Lauderdale could assume the T-Bone vocal part. On the other hand, not many songs from SPIKE seem like obvious fits, but "Let Him Dangle" and (the overplayed) "Deep Dark Truthful Mirror" aren't outside the realm of possibility. Personally, I'd love to hear a reworking of "Tramp The Dirt Down" with this ensemble, but it seems like a very remote possibility. I also think the unreleased "Tommy's Coming Home" from this period would sound particularly good with this group, but I'm under no illusions that this is likely.

Could there be a few songs radically reworked to fit the new band's style? Given the fact that he adapted four songs from SECRET ARIAS for this ensemble, he clearly has confidence in their ability to handle ambitious material. It's not too much of a stretch to imagine some songs from THE JULIET LETTERS getting the "She Handed Me A Mirror" treatment, like "This Sad Burlesque" or "Damnation's Cellar". Other admittedly improbable songs that I can envision played in this manner include "Almost Ideal Eyes" and "My Dark LIfe". I think it's this category of songs that could provide the biggest surprises of the upcoming tour.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Could there be a few songs radically reworked to fit the new band's style?...I think it's this category of songs that could provide the biggest surprises of the upcoming tour.
Absolutely! Love many of these suggestions, too. Other Side of Summer? Fabulous! Likewise the "George Jones Demos" & The People's Limousine (although I wouldn't be surprised if the lyrics were altered to set the story in a place other than Rome).

But there is such a distinction between "Country" music and "Bluegrass" music. I don't expect to hear much Memphis or Nashville or West Coast style Country music. Not much from The Delivery Man (except The Scarlet Tide) or Elvis' other Country songs. I feel like he's really going to feature that Appalachian Bluegrass Hillbilly sound. And probably rework some Rock/Pop songs to fit that kind of instrumentation. What about "Pump it Up"--in a version slightly similar to the one on 30:10? "Let Him Dangle" is a great suggestion because of the tradition of murder songs in Hillbilly music. "Shallow Grave" would be good also.
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Speaking of murder songs, I can't be the only one hoping "Psycho" will make a reappearance.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Speaking of murder songs, I can't be the only one hoping "Psycho" will make a reappearance.
I'm kind of a neophyte and I've never heard "Psycho", but I'm dying to...
The Deliveryman

Post by The Deliveryman »

I'd really love to hear this band tear through "Glitter Gulch".
cwr

Post by cwr »

I know I mentioned "Glitter Gulch" in my earlier post, but I wanna mention it again since it's getting some love here-- a fun song that hasn't been played for a long time in concert and would fit in quite nicely with the SP&SC songs.

It could be a real crowd-pleaser-- funny and frenzied...
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

The Deliveryman wrote:I'd really love to hear this band tear through "Glitter Gulch".
yeah G.G. for certain, but how about YOUR user id THEDELIVERYMAN??? "in a certain light..." i would like it with that instrumentation.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

One song Elvis seems to have brought with him through just about every incarnation is 'Accidents Will Happen'. It seems easy to imagine it, especially in the 'outro', with a prominent mandolin.
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

After hearing some songs on Secrets, Profane, and Sugarcane, like "She Handed Me a Mirror", I could imagine them doing songs from The Juliet Letters.

With "I Dreamed of My Old Lover", I they could even see them do something in a Renaissance vain, like John Dowland.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Big Light and Little Palaces
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

I could even see them do something in a Renaissance vein, like John Dowland.
That's an interesting possibility! "Bluegrass" music is really just English & Irish folk music from hundreds of years ago that went up into these remote mountain regions in the US and festered a bit, but really barely changed at all. "Can She Excuse My Wrongs" (or something like it) would sound really, really cool reworked for the Sugarcanes.

BTW, "Glitter Gulch"? Fabulous idea! Love that song!
cwr

Post by cwr »

Personally, I think it'd be great if he pulled out any of the covers he did for the "George Jones Demos", like "Brilliant Disguise" or "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go."
Tour opener: "My Resistance Is Low" SCORE ONE FOR THE MESSAGE BOARD!!!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

bronxapostle wrote:
The Deliveryman wrote:I'd really love to hear this band tear through "Glitter Gulch".
yeah G.G. for certain, but how about YOUR user id THEDELIVERYMAN??? "in a certain light..." i would like it with that instrumentation.

HEY D MAN!! who knows EC like me?? i called this one on MAY 22nd. have you heard it yet? i liked the take at both shows.