Decade Description

Pretty self-explanatory
InnocentMan

Decade Description

Post by InnocentMan »

Watching EC last night reminded me how many decades he has had an impact on my listening pleasure. My challenge is for us to pick one song for each decade we have listened to his music (note: decade of release and correlation must match) that most summarizes our state of mind (conflict or satisfaction). Here are my selections

1980s: I first heard Elvis during the "Punch the Clock" era and proceeded to buy every album before it in a three-week period of time so I am limited in my choices. I moved from boy to man during this period and found that my smoldering intensity was effective in drawing in the objects of my affections. Thus my choice for this period is
*********** I Want You *** Punch the Clock *** 1986***
PS. My wife said that she made up her mind to marry me after listening to that song.

1990s: I was working at a "professional" job and had recently hired a very art oriented (attractive and friend of my wife's) individual as my secretary. We shared a secret love of informed musical artists and were aroused by introducing the other to someone new. We were probably more like brother and sister than potential lovers but when I blared this song from my office it said more than I could ever do and struck a solid cord with this decade.
***********Just about glad *** Brutal Youth *** 1994

2000 (so far) We come to a place where we have either found the person that will assist us towards the slow slide to the everlasting short lasting everlasting or we wish we had. This song defines me state up to now.
*********** My Blue Window *** WWIC *** 2002
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

great topic........

*the 80s.........listening to deep dark truthful mirror (the unplugged version).....i knew then this guy and his music was going to be around (in my life) for a long time........(altough i had a period in my life when i used to buy his records and then exchange them for something else..... :oops: ......nevertheless i kept trying and i guess what really happened is that i got mature enough to understand what his music was all about)
*the 90s........the decade in which i got completely hooked on e.c., Kojack Variety opened the door for me to ALL of his discography (that record still stands as a personal fave of mine), I was able to see him live in N.Y. in 1999 and drove all my friends insane by playing his albums over & over again......and if I must pick one song.......then.....it will have to be......The Other End of the Telescope
*2000-..... we have many years to come to end this decade and we´ll sure have some more than decent E.C. albums to be released.........so far, When I was Cruel is my fave........and the one song i pick.........(this is tough!).......is When I was Cruel N° 1
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

Innocent Man said:

1980s: I first heard Elvis during the "Punch the Clock" era and proceeded to buy every album before it in a three-week period of time so I am limited in my choices. I moved from boy to man during this period and found that my smoldering intensity was effective in drawing in the objects of my affections. Thus my choice for this period is
*********** I Want You *** Punch the Clock *** 1986***
PS. My wife said that she made up her mind to marry me after listening to that song.

My reply:

Am I missing something? I know I was drunk most of the 80's. Was "I Want You" on PTC? When Did I Stop Dreaming?
InnocentMan

Post by InnocentMan »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Blood and Chocolate of course :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
the poisoner

Post by the poisoner »

the 70s
yes, i was recently graduated from high school and my then soon-to-be girlfriend , marianne, had , i believe , armed forces. (shortly, thereafter, i got my aim is true). we worked as camp counselors at the ymca. the song that best memorializes that period for me is 'angels wanna wear my red shoes'. not so much as the song holds any particular significance for the time except that to this very day it is my favorite of all his songs. bar none.
when he sings 'i told her i was so happy i could die, so she said drop dead and left with another guy' it struck me as the perfect line. and there were no lyrics sheets printed then so it was like... is that what i just heard???that told me that i was listening to something special.

the 80s
i go with tokyo storm warning. that was the 80s, no?
i was coming into my own creatively. i went thru grade school and into high school being told that my 'drawing' was good. i never really saw it. i just drew. and ,honestly, i am not trying to be modest, it was nothing special. but around that time i started to do more than just listen to his songs. i would try to figure things out. i was paying attention more to what was being said and why. and , more importantly, how. it was fascinating. still is. tokyo storm warning is rich in word pictures. heck, i even went to a dictionary to find out what an 'abattoir' (sp?) was. boring,eh?

the 90s
man, gotta be just about glad.
i was married and hating it. the only thing that got me through was my two kids. when you are married and actually feel honor-bound to be faithful (never, ever would i want to be so self-dis-respecting (as an adulterer) and have my kids find out about it. think about how character- (not to mention spine-) less that is) then the 'just about glad' message rings a little truer. it becomes a little game and you think in terms of what might have been.

the oughts
15 petals. the best of the latest. i think the song actually tells more about dissolving a relationship and being sad about it. the dissolving part that appeals/ed to me. i was married 12 -13 years, way too l o n g. and 15 petals is more like a celebratory song for me cause i no longer have to put up with the ubiquitous crap.
oh, i useta be disgusted
now i try to be amused