Burt Bacharach, Elvis Costello, NY show May. 18 '09

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Burt Bacharach, Elvis Costello, NY show May. 18 '09

Post by johnfoyle »

Gosh - that doesn't leave much time for rehearsals with the Brodskys.

http://www.theatermania.com/new-york/ne ... 18451.html

Burt Bacharach, Elvis Costello, Dionne Warwick Set for 92nd St Y Spring Gala

By: Brian Scott Lipton · Apr 5, 2009 · New York

Composer Burt Bacharach will be saluted at the 92nd Street Y's Spring Gala on Monday 18. He will be joined by special guest performers including Elvis Costello and Dionne Warwick.

Bacharach co-wrote the Broadway musical Promises, Promises. His many pop hits include "Don't Make Me Over," "Anyone Who Had a Heart," "Walk On By," "Message to Michael," "Trains and Boats and Planes," "I Say a Little Prayer," "Alfie," "Do You Know the Way to San Jose," "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head," "What's New Pussycat," "Wives and Lovers," and "Always Something There to Remind Me."

For tickets and information, call 212-415-5488 or visit http://www.92Y.org.
Last edited by johnfoyle on Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmm

Re: Burt Bacharach, Elvis Costello, NY show Apr. 18 '09

Post by jmm »

This is confusing since the 18th is actually Saturday, not Monday nor does it seem to be on the Y website??

I hope it's true and tickets are available

Might also mean an increased chance of an appearance at Steve's show tomorrow (i.e. in NYC)
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
johnfoyle

Re: Burt Bacharach, Elvis Costello, NY show Apr. 18 '09

Post by johnfoyle »

It's May 18th - sorry!

http://www.92y.org/shop/event_detail.as ... %2DNN0TC12

What the World Needs Now...
Featuring the Music of:
Burt Bacharach

Join us for the 92nd Street Y's Annual Spring Gala featuring the music of Burt Bacharach, with performances by:

Burt Bacharach
Elvis Costello
Dionne Warwick
Cheyenne Jackson
John Pagano
Jill O'Hara
Sarah Dash
Young Peoples Chorus
James Naughton, host

Proceeds from the Spring Gala support the 92nd Street Y's myriad programs which strengthen and connect culture, community and the world.

Event Chairs: Helen & Bob Appel, Dana & Michael Goldstein, Lori & Marc Kasowitz, Tami & Fredric Mack

Event Vice-Chairs: Jill & Darius Bikoff, Stacey & Matthew Bronfman, Nancy & Paul Levy, Cheryl & Michael Minikes, Jenny & John Paulson

Journal Chairs: Lisa & Orin Wilf

For more information or to reserve tickets, please contact the Development Department at 212.415.5488
kilyuradeo

Re: Burt Bacharach, Elvis Costello, NY show May. 18 '09

Post by kilyuradeo »

Tickets are $1,000 says 92nd Y
jmm

Post by jmm »

Hmmm at $1,000 per I think I'll go buy another re-issue instead
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

So, is , er, anyone here going?!?!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

nah...i caught the ONE AMAZING NIGHT @ HAMMERSTEIN, the duo appearance at VIRGIN RECORDS & full show at RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL. i'm good. unless there's a FREE ticket around!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.observer.com/2009/daily-tran ... eet-y-gala

May. 19, 2009

Steven Weber Gets Glitzy Guests All Wet at Splashy 92nd Street Y Gala

By Caitlin Keating
May 19, 2009 | 6:00 p.m

Actor Steven Weber stood outside the 92nd Street Y on Monday, May 18, as a procession of luxury cars pulled up, unloading finely dressed guests for the Y's annual benefit gala.

"It is going to be an incredible evening," said Mr. Weber, the event's emcee, rattling off the names of the many luminaries scheduled to make an appearance: "Costello, Warwick, Dash, Jackson, O’Hara, Pagano, Dorn, Hall..Burt!”

The theme of the evening: “What the World Needs now… Featuring The Music of Burt Bacharach.”

Mr. Weber put one of his hands in the side pocket of his well-fit suit, promising, “There isn’t going to be one dry eye or one empty seat in the house!”

Later, on stage, Mr. Weber would thank the Y "for turning me into the man I am today," adding, "You’ll be hearing from my lawyers.”

Couples strolled arm-in-arm, sipping champagne, as they filed into a marble hallway filled with enormous white orchids, leading them into the vast performance hall.

Fredric Mack, president of the Y, thanked donors for being so generous, especially this year. "Giving is just not as easy now," he said. Mr. Mack and wife Tami Mack joined fellow gala chairs Helen and Bob Appel, Dana and Michael Goldstein, Lori and Marc Kasowitz, on stage to say a few words about the place's importance.

The crowd clapped and cheered as the singer Dionne Warwick took the stage, leaned against the piano and said, “It is a pleasure to be here. I flew in from Brazil this morning so you’re looking at a very tired women.” Ms. Warwick went on to perform "Walk On By” and "Anyone Who Had a Heart."

Mr. Weber later came out singing “Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head,” spraying water on people in the first few rows and potentialy ruining all those fancy, freshly done Upper East Side hairdos.

Sarah Dash and John Pagano performed a duet; her bright gold dress glarefully shimmering upon the glittery stage.

Jill O’ Hara joined the Young Peoples Chorus of New York, receiving numerous applauds upon utterings the first few words of “I’ll Never Fall In Love Again.”

Elvis Costello sat in the last row, one hand on his lap, and the other massaging his forehead, as Cheyenne Jackson performed. When it came time for his own performance, Mr. Costello glided around the stage, covering Mr. Bacharach’s “God Gave Me Strength.”

Later, Mr. Costello offered a few thoughts about the heralded songwriter: “I can honestly say the music is beautiful and erotic, which is not something people usually call his music, but we’re all adults here, so I can say that.”

Mr. Bararach himself closed out the evening, slowly sitting down to a piano and launching into "Alfie," which brought on the longest applause of the night, and a standing ovation.