Elvis with Utah Symphony, Deer Valley, 15 Aug 2009

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis with Utah Symphony, Deer Valley, 15 Aug 2009

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.parkrecord.com/newsupdates/ci_12065195

Utah Symphony and Utah Opera's Sixth annual Deer Valley Music Festival (DVMF) will return in 2009 with four weeks of performances in the picturesque setting July 17 through August 15.

Highlights of the 2009 Deer Valley Music Festival include a performance with LeAnn Rimes, Elvis Costello, opera-singer Frederica von Stade and a concert featuring the music of ABBA.

The ABBA Concert is July 18. LeAnne Rimes plays July 25 and Elvis Costello performs Aug. 25.

http://www.deervalleymusicfestival.org/ ... php?id=213
Last edited by sweetest punch on Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis with Utah Symphony, Deer Valley, 25 Aug 2009

Post by johnfoyle »

Aug. 25 may be a mis-print in the media report , as the venue link seems to list 'Aug 15' as the show date.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis with Utah Symphony, Deer Valley, 15 Aug 2009

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.inthisweek.com/view.php?id=821873

Free Elvis Tickets!

Posted 2009-07-28 17:50:53 by Kelly Ashkettle

Elvis Costello, that is. He's appearing with The Utah Symphony for the final Deer Valley Music Festival of the summer on Saturday, August 15 at 7:30 p.m.

The English singer-songwriter who made horn-rimmed glasses cool again is doing a full tour in support of his new album, "Secret, Profane and Sugarcane," but his Utah stop will have him backed by the full power of the symphony.

More details about the show -

http://www.deervalleymusicfestival.org/ ... php?id=213

If you'd like to enter to win a pair of tickets, reply to

kashkettle@inthisweek.com

with your name and phone number.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Hey - I won these tickets... Wrote something about the beauty of Deer Valley and how I'll spend a lot of money in Utah if they pick me. I received an email today saying I won a pair and I can pick them up at the box office. Excellent. But, I don't know if I can make this show. I need to sort out my schedule to see if I can fly out. Anyone on this board live in Utah? Free tickets! Send me a private message. We'll chat.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Hey - I can't make this show. I can't seem to get out of SF despite my attempts and desire to escape the fog bank. If anyone lives in or near Utah and would like these tickets (FOR FREE), send me a private message. I can call will call and have them switch the name on the tix.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Interview: http://www.sltrib.com/themix/ci_13015671

Elvis Costello: Not just punching the clock
If you think rock musicians aren't too smart, then you haven't been listening to the orchestra work of the other Elvis.
By Catherine Reese Newton

The last concert on this year's Deer Valley Music Festival won't just be the Utah Symphony's first collaboration with rock icon Elvis Costello -- it will be Costello's only appearance with an orchestra in North America this year.

"It's a pretty rich brew," Costello promised in a phone interview from Vancouver, B.C., where he lives with his wife, jazz musician Diana Krall, and their 2 1/2-year-old twin sons. The family was packing to accompany Krall to a few concerts in the Intermountain West (including the July 31 show at Salt Lake City's Red Butte Garden) before Costello took off for Japan with his rock band, the Imposters. (He'll wrap up the summer with a 15-city tour with his roots-rock band, The Sugarcanes.)

"There's nothing in which it will be like a rock band with a symphony," Costello said of the Utah show, adding he finds the typical rock 'n' roll-meets-orchestra model unsatisfying: "It's not an intelligent use of these wonderful players."

The Deer Valley concert will be a departure for Costello, who has been teaming with classical ensembles for years. Past symphonic collaborations have featured his ballet score, "Il Sogno," on the program's first half. For this show, Costello has several new arrangements of tunes from his wide-ranging three-decade career -- most orchestrated by him, but some in cooperation with Krall and others -- and is itching to try them out. He plans to perform some selections with the Utah Symphony, some with a rhythm section and some with longtime cohort Steve Nieve at the piano.

"Some of these [arrangements] might be performed only a handful of times," he said. "The experience of performing them is very thrilling. There could be just one time to hear this version, this rendition. ... It's a chance to play and celebrate an aspect that is sometimes lost when it's about the machine, about moneymaking and selling records and reinforcing a brand."

Costello is curious about how the concert will be received. After all, he said, "It's not in the model of my initial appearance on the scene."

When he plays with orchestras, he occasionally encounters "an assumption that pop musicians must be imbeciles," he said. "Then in rehearsal they discover that [the arrangements are] intricate. The sound of the orchestra is really celebrated in these arrangements; it's not pop music in funny clothes." He dropped a few hints about the playlist, which will include "a really witty arrangement" of the 1979 single "Green Shirt" that he wrote with Nieve. "It isn't faithful to the letter -- that would be nonsensical."

In the years since his 1977 debut, the British-born Costello has proved himself one of the most versatile and inventive figures in contemporary music. He has collaborated with a dizzying array of luminaries in just about every field -- Burt Bacharach, Paul McCartney, Anne Sofie von Otter, Allen Touissant, Lucinda Williams and Fall Out Boy, to scratch the surface. He filled in as guest host on David Letterman's "Late Show" when Letterman was out with the shingles, and he is host of the Sundance Channel's "Spectacle," on which he interviews and performs with an eclectic lineup of musicians. Reflecting on his career, "Nearly everything has surprised me," he said. "I didn't sit and plan everything out." He finds it especially gratifying "that curiosity alone could sustain so much change in the opportunities that have come to me."

Is there any genre of music that doesn't interest him? "I'm sure there is, but I don't sit around thinking about music I don't like."

His ventures into classical music have been instructive. Creating the album "The Juliet Letters" with the Brodsky String Quartet "spurred me to come to grips with musical notation. Before that, I'd had no real need. I played my music and it was fairly simple. But in working with other people, some ideas can get lost in translation. ... I felt I wasn't keeping my side of the bargain."

He loves now being able to "detail exactly what happens, the weight or delicacy that things have." He said he also learned a lot about orchestration from Michael Tilson Thomas, who conducted the recording of "Il Sogno" and "critiqued it in a very creative way."

"The headliners in pops shows can often push the orchestra to the back of the stage, not physically but artistically," said former Utah Symphony | Utah Opera artistic-operations VP Jeff Counts, who booked Costello before taking a similar post with the Baltimore Symphony. Counts was confident that wouldn't be the case with Costello, based on the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer's reputation. "I always felt he would not only respect the orchestra, but use it in a very intelligent way."

"He's such a smart musician, as he's proved over three decades," said Crystal Young-Otterstrom, US | UO's manager of audience development and print media. "You can hear it in his music."
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Uh, oh -

http://sjoyce.blogspot.com/2009/08/odds ... -week.html
Saturday, August 15, 2009

Steve Joyce
blogs

(extract)
It's been a nice week, but right now it is in the low 40s and raining. We're supposed to go see Elvis Costello at an outdoor concert this evening. Could be a mess. It will definitely be damp and very cold.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

aye, poor STEVE!!! bring your winter coats!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Quite a few comments on the show on Twitter. (The Colbert WristStrong bracelet reference is explained here.)
ANITAinSLC: At Deer Valley on the hillside getting ready to enjoy Elvis Costello. What a beautiful setting for a concert.

ANITAinSLC: Sam just walked by Elvis Costello and he smiled and winked at her. How cool...

Sam_10: Just walked by Elvis Costello and he winked at me. Wow, I feel slightly special right now. . .

orihoffer: Chilly here @deervalley for Elvis Costello & @USUO. Dinner basket was great!

skullrick: ...And tonight we just had our picture taken back stage with Elvis Costello at deer valley (bigot valley) with the Utah Symphony. Fantastic.

rstoeber: WOW. Elvis Costello with the Utah Symphony outdoors. Beautiful sunset at Deer Valley.

jctolbert: Elvis Costello with utah symphony @ deer Valley with Johnny Utah! http://yfrog.com/5kt62lj

OrangeRaja: Elvis Costello backed by the full Utah Symphony. I know it sounds good,but no its better than that.

famousjay: one shot on the big screen of my dad, the next of Elvis Costello, both playing live on the same stage.. awesome!! http://twitpic.com/e2jnb

mattwilsonjazz: Just played first half of concert with Elvis costello, orchestra is good. Elvis is amazing, what a musician! More later!

jennyinSLUT: I just gave Elvis Costello my #Colbert WristStrong bracelet and he is WEARING IT!! #slc

famousjay: I can see Elvis Costello's mustache from my seat..

dannydickman: Elvis Costello + live symphony orchestra + wine = awesome.

thirstyboots07: Enjoying Elvis Costello with the Utah Symphony by starlight..."my flame burns blue", the stage glows blue

famousjay: Elvis Costello announced my dad after his solo. pretty sure not many people can say that.. :) http://twitpic.com/e30i0

famousjay: So we ended up with the seats in the front that are $80 each for FREE! We could see Elvis Costello's breath from our seats. Hard to top that

famousjay: Elvis Costello with the Utah Symphony, easily the best show I've been to in a very long time! #elviscostello http://twitpic.com/e337a

mightygizzard: Elvis Costello at #deervalley was awesome!!!!! and fucking cold!!!!!

kennethlinge: Elvis Costello and Utah Symphony was awesome:-)

famousjay: K wait, ask me if my dad snuck the set list to me from the #elviscostello show.. yup, he did indeed. I know, right? http://twitpic.com/e3adj
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Elvis Costello and Utah Symphony wow crowd
Rock 'n' roll » The musician jams out a long series of tunes.
By Catherine Reese Newton
The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 08/15/2009 11:31:55 PM MDT

Deer Valley » Elvis Costello always has been a master at subverting expectations, whether it be sticking it to "the man" by switching songs midstream on "Saturday Night Live" or releasing an album with a sticker warning listeners of the country-western content within.

But performing with a symphony orchestra, singing the lines "The infants are dozin'; that's the kind of life I've chosen" -- a reference to his 2 1/2-year-old twin sons with wife Diana Krall? Not even the most avid followers of the British rock icon could have seen that one coming.

Costello was the Utah Symphony's guest on the closing concert of the Deer Valley Music Festival. It's his only orchestra date in North America this year, and the lucky patrons on the chilly hillside were treated to a mix of tunes from throughout his long and prolific career.

An extended orchestral introduction and Costello's crooning delivery on "Accidents Will Happen" made it quickly apparent he wasn't going to reprise his hits note for note.

Later in the evening, he introduced "Watching the Detectives" by noting it "used to go one way, and now it goes another way." The sped-up, noirish reinvention of the early hit was one of the highlights of the two-hour set, as Costello spat out the witty lyrics like bullets; dueling saxophone solos from Daron Bradford and Ray Smith smartly complemented Steve Nieve's killer piano.

Costello and his conductor, Alan Broadbent, involved the Utah Symphony in almost all of the selections, and while Deer Valley is still far from an ideal venue to hear an orchestra properly, the arrangements -- most of them Costello's, and at least one of them written for this show -- proved he is an intelligent, inventive orchestrator. "Bedlam" was a particularly fine example.

No one sings like Elvis Costello. His voice is one of the most distinctive in contemporary music. It isn't the most polished instrument, but he knows how to deploy it to sell a song. His expressive delivery of songs such as Billy Strayhorn's "My Flame Burns Blue" and Charles Aznavour's "She" gave the impression he could release an album of standards and actually pull it off.

It wasn't until the encores, though, that Costello and Nieve really cut loose and rocked.

The singer tossed a saucy local reference into "Sulphur and Sugarcane" ("I gave up married women 'cause they told me it's a sin, but now I'm here in Utah, I might take them up again"), then brought the evening to a satisfying close with a vintage Costello hit, "Alison."
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Thanks, ANCT. That link has also some photo's: http://extras.sltrib.com/tribphoto/Gall ... 5F08152009

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The wiki has the setlist: http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _Park_City
Setlist according to stage setlist
01. Accidents Will Happen
02. All This Useless Beauty
03. Veronica
04. My Three Sons
05. The Girl In The Other Room
06. Bedlam
07. The Birds Will Still Be Singing
Intermission
08. You Left Me In The Dark instrumental prelude / Still
09. Green Shirt
10. Almost Blue
11. Watching The Detectives
12. My Flame Burns Blue (Blood Count)
13. She
14. God Give Me Strength
Encore 1
15. I Still Have That Other Girl
16. Alison
17. Hora Decubitus
18. Couldn't Call It Unexpected No. 4

The encore also included Sulphur To Sugarcane.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

This sounds like it was a wonderful show- a perfect convergence of artist, venue and material-thank you for sharing- really enjoyed the reference to the "kids" in the song line.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7053 ... music.html

Elvis Costello, Utah Symphony make sweet music

DEER VALLEY — As members of the Utah Symphony took their places, and the strings began warming up, a hush fell across the Deer Valley crowd Saturday night.

Utah Symphony conductor Alan Broadbent took his place, and the man of the evening, Elvis Costello, joined the throng on stage.

So casual in his demeanor, Costello began the evening with "Accidents Will Happen," with an effortless, beautiful accompaniment from the symphony.

Pulling from his extensive repertoire, Costello performed "All This Useless Beauty" to an outstanding arrangement, elaborating the elegance and grace of the lyrics.

Costello's stage presence was undeniable. The artist was so comfortable and confident, standing with his hand in his pocket and delivering a mounting intensity in each song.

Costello mentioned that he worked with the symphony for one day on the set list for the evening. The collaboration was simply breathtaking in numbers such as "Veronica" and "The Birds Will Still Be Singing."

After intermission, Costello returned to the stage donning his signature hat. He was even more animated in "Green Shirt" than he had been before the short break.

Costello proved to be true to his original recording while also allowing the symphony's robust talent to equally shine during "Watching the Detectives."

The dramatic styling of "Almost Blue" got Costello behind the piano, playing along with the symphony's melodic accompaniment.

Costello joked that he wrote the romantic song "She" as the theme for the movie "Notting Hill" and was not allowed to use his usual escape clause at the end. Smoothly performed by Costello and delicately accompanied by the symphony, the song may have been one of the most memorable of the evening.

Costello ended the show with an energized performance of "God Give Me Strength."

The songwriter graciously performed an encore set, which included a rousing performance of "Suplher to Sugarcane" off of his new album "Secret, Profane & Sugarcane."
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

sweetest punch wrote: The dramatic styling of "Almost Blue" got Costello behind the piano, playing along with the symphony's melodic accompaniment.

Costello joked that he wrote the romantic song "She" ...
Really? He played? I thought he only did that in North videos.
Somehow that next line has me doubting the veracity of the whole report...
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

scielle wrote:
sweetest punch wrote: The dramatic styling of "Almost Blue" got Costello behind the piano, playing along with the symphony's melodic accompaniment.

Costello joked that he wrote the romantic song "She" ...
Really? He played? I thought he only did that in North videos.
Somehow that next line has me doubting the veracity of the whole report...
In other symphony shows, Elvis went to the piano and took over when Steve started to play his solo on the "melodica".
jennyinSLUT

Post by jennyinSLUT »

Hi all! I was at this Deer Valley concert and yes, he did take the piano at least once during the show.

I am the fangirl mentioned in the post about Twitter who gave him my WristStrong bracelet....was anyone able to get a good picture of him during the concert AFTER intermission? You can tell it's after intermission because he was wearing his hat.... I'm looking for a pic that shows him with my bracelet on (it was on his left wrist for the last half of the show).

This concert was absolutely amazing. Full orchestra, Elvis singing and Ray Smith jamming on the sax....so perfect.

Cheers!
jenny
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Hey Jenny - Maybe you should consider changing your handle unless you are really into, well... unless, you're trying to be funny. Too bad you don't live in Moab, that would be better for your handle.
jennyinSLUT

Post by jennyinSLUT »

Nah, I'm trying to be funny. There are shirts all around up here that say SL,UT with mountains in the background...its kind of an inside joke. :-)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Parts of Accidents Will Happen, All This Useless Beauty, My Three Sons, Alison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNgDLi2JzXc
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

You know, he sure is showing a lot of forehead in those pics. I mean, I just saw him at the Ryman, but I didn't really notice it there. . .