Elvis and The Sugarcanes, New York, NY, 10 Jun 2009

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis and The Sugarcanes, New York, NY, 10 Jun 2009

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/12/arts/ ... l?ref=arts

Josh Haner/The New York Times

Elvis Costello at the Beacon Theater on Wednesday night.

June 12, 2009

Acoustic Set of Country, Rock and Old-Time Tales
By BEN RATLIFF

Elvis Costello was the bandleader in the most primary sense on Wednesday night at the Beacon Theater. In front of an all-acoustic group without drums — an ad hoc sextet of Nashville session musicians called the Sugarcanes — his guitar was the loudest element, after his voice. The five string players and one accordionist filled the space behind him like a street band, without fancy arrangements or dynamics.

That casual agreement of the band, in bluegrass and American folk forms with occasional Irish accents, was the best and truest thing about the gig. But Mr. Costello is not a casual songwriter, and sometimes, when he reached back to his older songs with more built-in definition — “Alison,” say, or “Brilliant Mistake” — you saw the power of a strong composition even in loose circumstances. Dolly Parton likes to say it costs a lot of money to look cheap. Sometimes it takes a great song to sound properly tossed-off.

The long show threaded through country, pop and rock standards, Mr. Costello’s back catalog and most of his latest album, “Secret, Profane & Sugarcane” (Hear Music). The album gives new life to a bunch of his songs with previous purposes, and the most ambitious have conceptual roots in American narratives of old-time show business and slavery: inspired by the love-and-business triangle of Hans Christian Andersen, the Swedish opera singer Jenny Lind and P. T. Barnum. Don’t be ashamed to look it up: Mr. Costello did, in preparation for a commission from the Royal Danish Opera in 2005.

In any case “Sugarcane” is the first acoustic-band record Mr. Costello has made since “King of America,” from 1986, and two other musicians particularly help define it: Jim Lauderdale, singing tenacious harmony, and Jerry Douglas, extending dobro lines into every possible space of the music. They are in the touring version of the Sugarcanes, and on Wednesday, from opposite sides of the stage, they watched Mr. Costello closely for their cues.

“She Handed Me a Mirror” is among the album’s best songs, a waltz about vanity and disappointment in major-to-minor seesaws. “Sulphur to Sugarcane,” written with T Bone Burnett, the new album’s producer, represented the record’s pitfalls, the places where Mr. Costello’s historical imagination leads into an overload of metaphor and history. It has explosives, alcohol, sweetness, sex and sin. But Sulphur is also a town in Louisiana, and the song multitasks as a road narrative, modeled a bit after Hank Snow’s “I’ve Been Everywhere.” So it runs through other proper nouns, like Bloomington, Poughkeepsie, Pittsburgh and Ypsilanti (which he rhymes with “panties”). It’s likable, but a muddle.

It took Mr. Costello about an hour to warm up his voice, but even after that the show seemed to beg for some variety and higher rigor. Mr. Costello made light changes, and generally knew what to do. In “The Delivery Man,” halfway through, he played electric guitar sparely, which made a huge difference in a very strummy show. In the new song “How Deep Is the Red” and the old song “Alison,” he sang off-microphone for stretches, submitting to the acoustics of the room and tacitly ordering the band to play softly.

And he powered the band through a new and unreleased song which out-clevered the “Sugarcane” repertory: maybe because it was about jealousy, which for this songwriter is high-concept enough. Its lyrics ominously brandished the phrase “five small words,” and then started dealing them out: “Why did you deceive me?” “Why don’t you believe me?” “Don’t you want me anymore?” “Well, who is keeping score?”

Elvis Costello will perform on Saturday at the Bonnaroo Festival in Manchester, Tenn; Sunday at the Booth Amphitheater in Cary, N.C.; and Tuesday at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville; elviscostello.com.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

johnfoyle wrote:“She Handed Me a Mirror” is among the album’s best songs, a waltz about vanity and disappointment in major-to-minor seesaws.
OK Ben, whatever you say.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i usually respect anyone named BEN, but this is guy is surely a clueless putz!!! cheers, benny
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

http://burnwoodtonite.blogspot.com/

See the blog entry for Friday, June 12th...audio of the entire Beacon show.
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Anybody listen to this? Is it different from what's on dime?
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

I can't get on Dime, but the link I posted above is great! Nice MP3s, which sound very good, of the entire concert. I made myself a couple of CDs for the car and I've been enjoying the Beacon show all over again.

That guy's blog--Burning Wood--is very good, by the way. He makes lots of fun, free downloads--including MP3s of most of the songs from Spectacle. He also writes very well and has great taste in music. Worth checking out.
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Hi Bronxapostle! My husband and I were sitting next to you at the show. We wondered what happened to you after security came and questioned you! How did your recording turn out, concidering the people behind you wouldn't shut up??
It was an awesome show!! I had a great time.

:D
I'm not angry anymore....
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

hello SP! i guess you missed my original post from this same thread....here it is!!!

another awesome night at the BEACON! 2 hours into the show, a security girl approached me saying "you're not recording right? we have security near the stage watching you. you'll be thrown out!" i shook my head "NO" and never turned SONY off. ah, the bronxapostle still got it! COOL!

yeah, that clapping jerk behind me who asked loudly if we knew allen toussaint! and i just shook my head NO to the security girl w/o shutting SONY off! but, i guess i deserved being snagged for putting it on the ledge for the encore, huh? why didn't you let me know you were in with the in crowd instead of letting me think i was harangueing your hubby! i actually like my recording better than the one available at the burnwood site also listed above. you will hear mine sooner or later. best, ba
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Bronxapostle~
Ah haha....you put the recorder up on the ledge?? I didn't see that. Haha, so that's why she came over......yeah, so we were wondering if you got in trouble after the show. Guess not! I take it you've done this before...haha
What do you do with the recordings? What's the quality like?
I'm not angry anymore....
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

mine always sound decent, NOT soundboard...but a great souvenir! i transfer them from cassette to disc at my computer and love to share the wealth. unfortunately, it looks like my cd burner has died a well earned death after burning 1000's of cds. so, once i get my hands on a summer paycheck...i will buy a stand alone burner to patch in and gladly rip you a copy to throw in the mail. it was funny, because i saw that you and the MR. appeared to be nice, quiet, watchful type of fans so i had no worry to ask you to keep it down. then right at show time the loudmouth drunk appeared. oh well...but, he did not much ruin my recording. and like i said, i prefer it to the one that has already appeared. i will pm you when i can send it along. cheers, ba