New album preview tonight!!

Pretty self-explanatory
migdd

New album preview tonight!!

Post by migdd »

dweil will preview several cuts from Secret, Profane and Sugarcane at 5:00pm CPT today on his Pop Top radio program!!! Don't miss it!!!

www.radiofreenashville.org
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Re: New album preview tonight!!

Post by spooky girlfriend »

We got invites from Dave as well. I'm so excited!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Well, Dave's Facebook status is now saying that he can no longer play it for some reason, but that it "comes from the very top." Too bad.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Too bad it didn't happen. The forces-that-be interfered. However, Dave puts on a great radio show. He played cuts by Glenn Tilbrook, The Flaming Groovies and other great "pop" bands.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Dweill posts to listserv-

'Somehow the plans for my little show came to the attention of a certan British pop star, who had his rep (a very nice guy named Colin) call me and let me know that I shouldn't proceed with my plans. This came directly from said pop star. I agreed that I would not let my plans compromise his musical project in any way, so there you are. Sorry for those who I invited and hope you didn't take too much trouble in logging in.'

This is, probably, the 'Colin' in question -

http://www.fmsguitars.com/Testimonials.html

Colin Nairne was a producer (Spirit of the West, Colin James etc) and was a guitar player for Barney Bentall. He now works at Macklam Feldman Management. He works directly with Ry Cooder, Elvis Costello, Diana Krall, Jesse Cook and Norah Jones.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

This all sounds more polite than the letter we got a few months ago. :)

Oh well! Maybe Dave will get to do a preview closer to the release date.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

what is the release date please? what label? not L.H.?
migdd

Post by migdd »

June 2 on Starbuck's Hear Music label.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

I guess it's a bit of a drag that the segment was pulled by E.C.'s management, but I understand why. Anything online can be stored and distributed again for free. It's the wild west. Cut the MAN a break and let him issue it on the release date. We've heard half of the tracks on the new release anyway. I am patiently awaiting... to download it for FREE online ... no, just kidding... I meant to say buy it at Amoeba or online...

Other comments - I dig the album cover. I want a t-shirt.

Patiently awaiting for the west coast tour dates to be published,
MOJO
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Martin posts to listserv-

'Got somethin' to live for'..., the guitarist on THE song of summer 1988
ends up to doing things like this, funny old world isn't it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FApKN6bkmU

http://www.fmsguitars.com/Gallery%20Celeb.html

Colin Nairne in the kitchen.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I wonder if they got a call from Colin?

http://routesandbranches.blogspot.com/2 ... scott.html

KRFC in Fort Collins, CO

THURSDAY MORNING MIX April 2, 2009 Scott Foley

A couple of nice debuts on this week's Episode. Nice to have a peek into Elvis Costello's Secret Profane and Sugarcane, too. Produced by T Bone Burnett, it's a return to Elvis' fling with americana, featuring Byron House, Jerry Douglas, and other folks who you wouldn't expect to hang with Costello.

* Elvis Costello, "Complicated Shadows" Secret, Profane and Sugarcane (Hear, 09)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

johnfoyle wrote:Hear 'Shadows via this -

http://blogs.1037themountain.com/shawns ... end-treat/
Sounds fabulous. I've always loved his tune; glad its back in play.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Excellent! Can't wait to hear the entire album.
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

Maybe it's just me, but I thought it was too light ... maybe I just hold the original in too high regard, or maybe it's just because I heard the Attractions version first, but what I always liked about the original was that it was so dark and foreboding. I still look forward to hearing Down Among the Wine & Spirits, Sulphur to Sugarcane, and The Crooked Line, and the Secret songs, but so far this version of Complicated Shadows hasn't done anything for me.
cwr

Post by cwr »

The first version I heard of "Complicated Shadows" was on the bootleg CD Under The Influenza-- live with The Attractions, but it was still closer to the original "Cashbox" version than it was to the Rolling Stones-ish version that would later appear on ATUB. And, of course, the "Cashbox" demo eventually showed up on the ATUB reissue.

This new version therefore feels kind of familiar and certainly less ominous than the previous album version, but I like it. It was never likely to be the standout track for most longtime EC fans, precisely because it's familiar to us in one form or another. I'd imagine that "Hidden Shame"-- even if it's a fantastic version-- will also get a similar reaction from a lot of us. Of course, more casual EC listeners who come to the new album might find these to be their favorite tracks, while a lot of us will be more excited by the new and unheard material. Having heard the live recordings of the "Secret Songs", I'm super-intrigued to hear how those songs will sound with this kind of musical accompaniment. While the songs he wrote for Johnny Cash were clearly intended to be given a kind of country/bluegrass treatment, I truly have no idea how those "Secret" songs are going to sound on the record.

Listening to this new "Complicated Shadows", the main pleasure for me is just listening to the little details of the recording, like the guy singing harmonies with Elvis, or just the way the band's sound fits with his voice. It's clearly not an Imposters/Attractions record, and I think that's a healthy thing for EC. Personally, I've always thought it would be great if he could do every OTHER record with his regular band, just to keep things fresh and exciting for everybody involved. (Of course, in this scenario I'm also imaging that every year is like 1986, where we get two completely different full-length albums!)
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Love the sound of that. T-Bone has produced Elvis's voice really well. I am soooo banking on this album to be the one that does it big-time for Elvis again after all these years. I know, I say that with every album....