Elvis Costello & The Sugarcanes 6/16 Nashville

Pretty self-explanatory
shendley

Re: Elvis Costello & The Sugarcanes 6/16 Nashville

Post by shendley »

Absolutely fantastic show tonight in Nashville. Longest encore I've ever seen - a little over an hour with just about every song seeming to be the last one, only to have Elvis sing just one more! Total show was probably about 2 hours and 40 minutes. The songs from the new album - he played just about all of it - were great. Very nice reworking of "Everyday I Write the Book." Great version of "The Delivery Man." Actually, too many highlights for me to remember and list right now. And, afterward, my wife and daughter and I hung around and got to meet Elvis outside the Ryman. There were probably 50 some odd people lining up to get autographs and pictures with him. He was amazingly generous greeting everyone. Fantastic night in Music City!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Good heavens! You just can't imagine what a night this was!

I kid you not - an absolutely incredible SIX songs from KOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Sugarcanes were amazing, Elvis was most gracious and didn't look like he wanted to leave - even after almost 3 hours! I can''t imagine my life without having seen this concert now. Doc has the setlist and isn't nearby right now, but it was just the most amazing show ever. Hung out with some fun peeps from listserv and much beer was consumed over the evening. :-) Will post pics soon.

Just can't say enough about the whole thing. Utterly amazing.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Might be some errors, this was just done on a cell phone. . .but you'll get the general idea for now.

mystery train
all time doll
tonight the bottle let me down
down among the wine and spirits
blame it on cain
little angel
femme fatale
i felt the chill
delivery man
the butcher's boy
indoor fireworks
hidden shame
condemned man (new)
friend of the devil
five small words
she handed me a mirror
everyday I write the book
she was no good
little palaces
complicated shadows
brilliant mistake

red cotton
the crooked line
american without tears
angels want to wear my red shoes
i don't want to go home
big light
allison plus he'll have to go plus he's got you

the race is on
sulphur to sugarcane
scarlet tide
changing partners
peace love and understanding
migdd

Post by migdd »

Sounds like a great show, spooky. I'm green with envy as I've not been able to get to a Sugarcanes date on this tour. Maybe there'll be a nice live DVD of this tour like was done for the Toussaint tour.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Back home now, a bit tired from the beer and lack of sleep, but who cares? :-) AWESOME show!! Working on pics now. . .
John

Post by John »

Elvis, fantastic setlist, King of America, great concert, no kids, lots of beer = perfect night out. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

A live DVD recorderd later in the tour sounds like a great idea.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

I would love to have a recording of that show. . . .such good harmony together on every single song.
The Deliveryman

Post by The Deliveryman »

Just going by memory, Spooky's setlist looks pretty close, but weren't the last two songs reversed? Seems like Changing Partners was the last song of the night.

Also, in Alison he threw in several lines of I'll Make It All Up To You, in addition to He'll Have To Go and He's Got You.

Fantastic show, and I, too, hope that a recording will surface!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://fiveyeardiary.blogspot.com/2009/ ... -line.html

Posted by mike p.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I took a day off work yesterday and went to see Elvis Costello play with his new backing band, The Sugarcanes, at the Ryman in Nashville, TN. This was my 3rd time seeing Elvis live, and just like the previous two shows, it was great. I had an unbelieveable seat (as pictured above) and the sound was perfect, which seems to be the standard for the Ryman. Elvis must be eschewing Rock 'N Roll time these days, because he took the stage at 7:37pm with an advertised start time of 7:30pm. I appreciated the gesture since I always arrive to shows early. The bluegrass/roots style of the new record translated incredibly well in the live setting. The set list was comprised of most of the tracks from Secret, Profane, and Sugarcane, rearranged versions of classics ("Blame It On Cain", "Brilliant Mistake", "Every Day I Write The Book", "Little Palaces", "Indoor Fireworks", "American Without Tears", "Alison", "What's So Funny..."), and covers of "Friend Of The Devil", "Femme Fatale", and "The Race Is On". I certainly never thought I'd hear Grateful Dead, Velvet Underground, and George Jones covers all in one set. The show ran close to three hours, and at the end I still wanted more. The drive back seemed like it would never end. I got in a good 2 and a half hour nap before arriving at work this morning. That kind of drive in one night probably sounds crazy to most people, but great shows are worth the effort.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Excellent! Thanks so much, sweetest punch! Makes me wish I had a recording of the whole show from start to finish!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

O.M.G.

I just realized, viewing that youtube of The Race is On, that Jim Lauderdale, Sugarcane, is Jim Lauderdale, host of Tennessee Shines. Weird.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

I love him, Moody. He's so nice in person, too.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Concert now up on dime courtesy of the great Mike Bodayle
Torrent #254139 Elvis Costello & the Sugarcanes - Ryman - Nashville TN - June 16, 2009
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

My dime account has been disabled. :(

Is there anyway to either send us the torrent tracker file directly or help out?

It was an awesome show and I want to get it down for SpookyG before I leave on a business trip Sunday.

Thanks.

--DrSpooky
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Hi Doc

Good luck with this - sure someone will have found a way for you.

If all else fails send me a PM and I'll post off the files on CD, but I'm afraid they won't arrive from here in the UK before you leave tomorrow!

Best wishes, and thanks for the fantastic site

Colin Top Balcony
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Thanks to the kind user who helped me out. I now have it downloaded and almost on SpookyG's iPod.

It really sounds amazing and a big thank you to the person who provided us all with this treat.

--DrSpooky
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The band version of Condemned Man in this show really fills out this song. The intro. to Five Small Words is reminding me big time of another tune. A few more listens and it'll come to me. Listening to this show back to back with the Beacon show it's astonishing to hear how , in the space of days, tighter and more assured this ensemble has become. Is that Jeff Taylor playing low key whistle on Little Palaces? It's just like Cormac Breathnach's flute part on the Irish tv version from 1987 -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=e ... re=related

I so wish I could see this show!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

John, in all honesty, it was really an amazing show. I wish you could have been there.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Spooky! So glad you enjoyed your "Mini Elvis Vacation"! We did the exact same thing at the Beacon in NY.....saw the show, had a grrrreat dinner and stayed over night. A no kids, all Elvis evening.....haha
I thought the show was excellent. I was not disappointed at all. It was a great mix of songs. I thought the same....he didn't look like he wanted to leave! I think he played a few more songs for you in Nashville than he did in NY. Wasn't lucky enough to see him afterwards though : P
I'm not angry anymore....
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Wow - what a great show. I'm glad you all enjoyed it. I'm listening to it at the moment - any Board Members on the recording that I should be listening out for? :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »