Elvis debuting new recording on 7" vinyl

Pretty self-explanatory
martinfoyle

Re: Elvis debuting new recording on 7" vinyl

Post by martinfoyle »

The Gentleman wrote:will any kind soul convert this to a file and provide a link?
That would get this site in trouble. Is it a new recording?
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

You're probably right. But I must say this is a particularly vexing case, as I suspect many of us no longer have the capability to play vinyl. On top of that, is the rarity of the single, compounded by the confusion created by the delay. I wish EC would just put the damn thing on iTunes along with "Complicated Shadows"-- any possible promotional value tied into a Record Store Day exclusive was lost with the delay.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

I haven't been able to find the single at any of the L.A. stores that specialize in vinyl. Has it actually been spotted anywhere outside of Nashville?
cwr

Post by cwr »

But I must say this is a particularly vexing case, as I suspect many of us no longer have the capability to play vinyl. On top of that, is the rarity of the single, compounded by the confusion created by the delay. I wish EC would just put the damn thing on iTunes along with "Complicated Shadows"-- any possible promotional value tied into a Record Store Day exclusive was lost with the delay.
I agree-- while the B-side was intended as a Record Store Day "exclusive", presumably that no longer has any meaning now that the date has come and gone. Now, it's just a hard-to-find 7" single that may or may not show up in some record shops. He should put it up on iTunes for a dollar, or he should stream it from his website once it's new and improved...
nobodygirl

Post by nobodygirl »

The Deliveryman wrote:Heads up, Nashvillians ---

per Twitter from Grimey's 4/28/09:

"Elvis Costello 7" in stock now"
That's where I got it! I ran straight down to Grimey's as soon as I saw their twitter update about it. Only good thing that happened that day, haha.
Your friends said you were better off dead
You were dead anyway from the start
--RA
nobodygirl

Post by nobodygirl »

And No Coffee Table wrote:I haven't been able to find the single at any of the L.A. stores that specialize in vinyl. Has it actually been spotted anywhere outside of Nashville?
I saw it on eBay for ten times what it cost in the store yesterday, but nothing today.
Your friends said you were better off dead
You were dead anyway from the start
--RA
oliversa1

Post by oliversa1 »

Just purchased my copy on Ebay, can't wait for it to arrive.
Don't Start Me Talking, I Could Talk All Night.
TheComedian

Post by TheComedian »

I actually just picked up a copy at the Newbury Comics in Harvard Square for all of $2.99. I couldn't find the 45 on the store's website, but for those of you in the New England area, it's worth a stop or a call:

http://www.newburycomics.com/rel/v2_hom ... &deptnr=60

...there were several more copies at the Harvard Square store this afternoon. No comment on the record - I just discovered I don't have a spindle for my turntable!
I don't care if I'm right or wrong,
Or if my typewriter can spell.
littletriggers

Post by littletriggers »

Now that is ironic Mr Comedian !
cwr

Post by cwr »

Tried looking for this today at all the NYC record shops that I figured might possibly have it in stock-- no luck! Called several places and they said that they hadn't ever received any and were unlikely to now that Record Store Day had passed... Frustrating!

But I'm not interested in shelling out money to bid for it on eBay-- I don't care about it as a "collectible", I just want to hear the b-side, and these things always come out in some other form eventually. (I remember back in 1996, when the "4 Singles In July" came out in the UK, and the "Cashbox Demo" of "Complicated Shadows" was supposed to be on the 2nd single, but an error led to the album version being included instead... EXCEPT on the German edition of that single, which featured the proper demo. So I looked and looked and eventually tracked it down, and it was so nice to hear the original demo version. Of course, it wasn't too terribly long before there was a Rhino CD reissue with a bonus disc, and what was rare became widely available.)

I'm sure that even if the 7" singles are all snapped up for huge sums on eBay, at some point either Elvis will release it some other way, or some kind soul will make an mp3 for me to listen to...
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Scans of the sleeve and labels are on the wiki site:

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... ed_Shadows
Pigalle

Post by Pigalle »

For those in the UK, it can be ordered from hmv.co.uk although it is out of stock at the moment. For those who can't wait and don't mind paying more juno.co.uk had it in stock this morning. Rough Trade might also have it although it isn't on their website - I received a copy from them last week.
blureu

Post by blureu »

Can someone share Dirty Rotten Shame for those unable of us that are unable to get the single? Please :)
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Thanks, Martin!
Sounds great, wonder why Elvis "burries" such a great song on a b-side of a 7" vinyl.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
blureu

Post by blureu »

Thank You!! :D
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

Thank you
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Just got the 7" from Juno in the UK, thanks for the tip, Pigalle, I'd waited 2 weeks already for hmv to have it in.
Having finally got it I had to find an old single centre as it had a big hole - eventually found one in an old Style Council single.
Then Dirty Rotten Shame clicks in several places (typically Complicated Shadows is pristine and will also be on the main CD)
Reminds me why I gave up on vinyl years ago - for all its audiophile qualities it's a real bugger getting a clean copy.
So thanks for the mp3, Martin.
The single art is at least nice to look at.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
cwr

Post by cwr »

Thanks for the mp3! I finally got the 7" by ordering it from Reckless Records in Chicago-- although looking at the site now, it looks like they might be sold out, as I don't see it listed anymore. But it's still nice to have a copy that I can put on my iPod...

It's a good song, although it's never been one of my favorites. I remember when it was one of the songs he was considering for ATUB and had played it a few times in concert-- I wasn't all that disappointed that it didn't make the album, but I'm happy he's finally released a version of it. And it's a nice version, too-- better than I remember it sounding with The Attractions...

I still maintain that he should put this on iTunes or on his website. The "exclusivity" of giving a track for Record Store Day was a nice idea, but given the fact that no NYC stores even bothered to order a copy once the single missed the event itself, I don't think any of them will mind if he widens the availability of the exclusive b-side.

At least that way, people would be buying it from HIM instead of shelling out 20 bucks or more on ebay (where there are several listed for sale presently...) Lotsa fans would be willing to pay a dollar for a perfect-sounding digital copy...

I like the idea of Record Store Day, and of record stores in general-- but in this particular instance, they might as well have been staging an event to promote The Internet as the best way to get music. The stores were all overcrowded that day, the exclusive singles sold out so fast that nothing was left by the time most people got there, and none of the NYC stores bothered to order the EC single after the fact. I ended up buying one from a record store, but only because they take orders through their website.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

sweetest punch wrote:Thanks, Martin!
Sounds great, wonder why Elvis "burries" such a great song on a b-side of a 7" vinyl.
Elvis has always had great b-sides; think of Radio Sweetheart, Big Tears, Girls Talk, Getting Mighty Crowded, Hoover Factory, Turning The Town Red, Shoes Without Heels, Step Inside Love, Almost Ideal Eyes, When I Was Cruel No. 1 etc

It's not Dirty Rotten Shame being a b-side that's the problem, just that the single was excrutiatingly difficult to find.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Thanks as always to kind sharers of what we cannot buy.

The 1998 radio/'Idiot's Delight' flac or 64kps version is infinitely superior to the B side.

Shame on the EC marketing company.
The Deliveryman

Post by The Deliveryman »

Just in case anybody is still trying to track down a copy of the single, I saw about 20 copies on the shelf at Twist & Shout in Denver during my recent vacation. I just checked their website, and they do mail order and have the single listed for a price of $2.99.

http://www.twistandshout.com/