* ELVIS COSTELLO and the Sugarcanes feat. Jerry Douglas – Wednesday, 8/26
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis playing Ravinia , August 26 '09

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
kilyuradeo

Post by kilyuradeo »

_
Last edited by kilyuradeo on Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Wouter posts toCOSTELLO-L

Ravinia 26 Aug 09

01 Mystery Train
02 All Time Doll
03 Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down
04 Down Among The Wines And Spirits
05 Blame It On Cain
06 Femme Fatale
07 The Delivery Man
08 Butcher Boy
09 Indoor Fireworks
10 Hidden Shame (w/ extended DVD mention)
11 Condemned Man
12 Friend Of The Devil
13 Poisoned Rose
14 Mystery Dance
15 Don't Lie To Me
16 Everyday I Write The Book
17 Complicated Shadows
18 She Was No Good
19 Brilliant Mistake
20 Sulphur To Sugarcane
21 Alison/He'll Have To Go
22 The Crooked Line
23 Happy
24 Red Shoes
25 The Race Is On
26 Red Cotton
27 Peace, Love & Understanding
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://chicago.decider.com/articles/elv ... nia,32226/

Recap: Elvis Costello at Ravinia

The stage setup employed by Elvis Costello and his band The Sugarcanes at Ravinia Wednesday night didn't even include a drum kit, but it proved that an acoustic string-band-type format can do energetic justice to Costello's tremendous back catalog and even redeem some less-memorable new stuff. The bright bluegrass-meets-blues stylings of his new album, Secret, Profane, And Sugarcane, made for a couple of unflattering rewrites, but Costello bounded onstage in a suit and playfully cocked purple hat, clearly more prepared to play the part of good old mischievous E.C. than a Southern gentleman. He told the audience he shared his birthday with Ivan The Terrible—"we've all got a little Ivan The Terrible in us"—and gave a brand-new song a comically exaggerated intro: "We had to go into the studio at midnight! We had to creep in under curfew! To get it on wax for you!"
Tunes from the new album, especially "My All Time Doll" and "Sulphur To Sugarcane," became considerably more lively onstage, thanks to the wake-up slap that Costello's eternally underrated stage presence always gives an unsuspecting crowd, and a nimble six-piece backing band that included fiddle, dobro, stand-up bass, accordion, and mandolin. On acoustic guitar and back-up vocals, country artist Jim Lauderdale rounded out Costello's still-youthful delivery with nicely aged twang. Costello—a man who's always worked in a bit of everything—gave the audience some fine reminders that he's been trying to write country and blues songs for a long time. He used "Blame It On Cain" (from his 1977 debut album, My Aim Is True) to inject his invigorating bitterness into the set early on, and a few numbers later, the ballad "Indoor Fireworks" still came off as one of the most tender, raw songs ever written from a relationship's breaking point.
He also dug into traditional songs and country standards, at one point following Merle Haggard's "Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down" with his own drinking song, Sugarcane's "Down Among The Wine And Spirits." But it wasn't all predictable: The band waltzed through a country re-arrangement of The Velvet Underground's "Femme Fatale," and the title track of Costello's 2004 album The Delivery Man became more suspenseful in the absence of drums. Speaking of suspense, the song "Complicated Shadows" had tons of it on 1996's album All This Useless Beauty, but the newly arranged version (as heard on Sugarcane) chugged along steadily and stamped all the life out of the song. (Though as a bonus, dramatic lighting pointed up at the musicians threw huge shadows on the curtain behind them, and also made Costello look like he had huge comical devil eyebrows for a few minutes.) "Mystery Dance," from My Aim Is True, also fell victim to Costello's current Americana phase rather than mesh with it—originally a saucy rockabilly song about trying to have sex for the first time and failing hysterically, it turned into a pleasant but humorless progressive-bluegrass kind of thing here.
After the set proper closed with "Brilliant Mistake" (further proof that Costello still has awesome taste in his own songs), the band lumbered through two encores, alternately rocking (a fun version of The Rolling Stones' "Happy") and dramatic (a slow, sad version of "The Angels Wanna Wear My Red Shoes"). The band alternately charged and wandered toward the finish in the second encore with "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, And Understanding," suggesting that while young, angry Elvis and 55-year-old Elvis don't always work perfectly together, they're not all that different in spirit.

http://www3.timeoutny.com/chicago/blog/ ... t-ravinia/

The TOC Blog
« Previous Next »

Live review: Elvis Costello and the Sugarcanes at Ravinia

Elvis Costello might have kicked off his career as an angry young man during the punk and new wave era—which he always stood a few steps apart from, but he’s often traded on a worldly adult wisdom as much as youthful impetuousness over the course of his 30-plus years making records. This year, the singer came back around to his love of American and Nashville first exhibited on his unusual solo album King of America in 1986 with the new Secret, Profane & Sugarcane.

Costello has aged well—his restless journeyman mindset has had him trying and usually succeeding with every genre from pop to jazz to classical. For his Ravinia gig, he brought a seven-piece band of Nashville aces and studio vets including country/bluegrass/Grammy winning singer/songwriter Jim Lauderdale (looking a bit like George Jones in a western suit and greying wings of hair) and the dobro maniac Jerry Douglas along with double-bass, accordion, fiddle and electric mandolin.

Over the course of two-plus hours and more than two dozen songs, Costello gave his newest material from Secret, Profane & Sugarcane its due—sounding more or less convincing as a superb student of country, folk and daubs of jazz. Costello rollicked, rocked, strummed and deftly switched guitars with energy—sometimes wearing a fedora that looked purple under the stage lights. Lauderdale lent his vox, acoustic guitar and air of authenticity to the set. New album cuts such as “All Time Doll” were top-heavy in the first hour, but in the second Costello cut the set up with classics (”Indoor Fireworks” from King of America and surprising cover tunes “Femme Fatale” and the Grateful Dead’s “Friend of the Devil”). He and his band rarely faltered—even when approaching and repurposing Costello’s signature songs for the string-band (which performed sans percussion of any kind). But when they did drop the ball it was all Costello’s fault for trying to bring songs in that didn’t fit. Costello’s voice may be able to change costumes at will, but some of his tunes can’t be dressed to match.

“Everyday I Write the Book” may be a slide of slick ’80s pop-soul in its original version, but last night it was lackluster, with its hooky chorus turned into a dour lament—it was painful to hear. And near the end of the night, “Alison” was perfectly gorgeous except for a folky guitar turnaround that felt like a tacked on detail. Those are small complaints.

Costello more than made up with his well-honed stage banter and storytelling. He threatened to change careers, “I’ve gone back to the family business of horse racing tips,” joked with us about the weather requiring “hip flasks or unhip flasks,” shared a tale of a 19th European star’s raucous tour of the south and reminded us that he and Nick Lowe performed with Johnny Cash back in the ’70s. Costello is as natural with an entertaining yarn as he is at ease with American music. His vision of American music isn’t that of a purist—he and the Sugarcanes dug into Keith Richards’s “Happy” around 9:45pm and make it rock.

It might have been a damp and oddly chilly night at Ravinia—I’d guess they sold more Ravinia-logoed fleeces than usual. The chill thinned out the crowd and sent the picnic people home well before show’s end, but Costello and band had a warm glow about them. He may not stay in one place for long, but when he’s there, he’s in the moment.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.