Hip-O Armed Forces ?

Pretty self-explanatory
Dr. Luther

Hip-O Armed Forces ?

Post by Dr. Luther »

Why is there no anniversary release for Armed Forces ?
Did I miss something here?
migdd

Re: Hip-O Armed Forces ?

Post by migdd »

The first two didn't sell, so probably not.
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

Well, since these appear to be 30th anniversary editions, we should expect Armed Forces (originally 1979) some time this year. No reason to worry yet, I'd say.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Ymaginatif wrote:Well, since these appear to be 30th anniversary editions, we should expect Armed Forces (originally 1979) some time this year. No reason to worry yet, I'd say.
Yeah -- but it came out in mid-January, I believe.
I thought that the 1st two Hip-O re-issues were (more or less) in the same month as the original issue.
ulfg

Post by ulfg »

Personally, I don't care too much for another Armed Forces re-release. Unless he has some really good stuff unreleased.

I'd much rather see Elvis put out live concert recordings without being forced to have an original album attached to them. And without him waiting until 30 years have passed since the album's original release date. I don't want to wait until year 2016 for a good "spinning songbook" recording. Or until 2021 for a recording from the Mighty Like A Rose tour.

I want them much sooner...
The Walrus

Post by The Walrus »

I suspect it would be the entire Hollywood Bowl concert...
GOO GOO GOO JOOB...

("No you're not" said Little Nicole)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

ulfg wrote:Personally, I don't care too much for another Armed Forces re-release. Unless he has some really good stuff unreleased.

I'd much rather see Elvis put out live concert recordings without being forced to have an original album attached to them. And without him waiting until 30 years have passed since the album's original release date. I don't want to wait until year 2016 for a good "spinning songbook" recording. Or until 2021 for a recording from the Mighty Like A Rose tour.

I want them much sooner...
I totally agree, ulf!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
cwr

Post by cwr »

I'm glad if these "deluxe" re-issues have ended. Fair enough if Hip-O or some other label wants to keep the Costello back catalog in print, but at this point I'd say that 90 percent or more of the people who have any interest in live recordings or bonus material already have these albums in at LEAST one format or edition.

There is no point making people pay such outrageous prices when they only want half of what they're paying for. I would have happily bought the bonus concert discs for either MAIT or TYM if they'd been available separately, at single-disc prices. Instead, I simply did without.

I'd imagine that Costello could do pretty well putting out concerts with liner notes, a la Dylan's "Official Bootleg Series." Don't know why an idea like that didn't happen instead of those ill-fated "deluxe" reissues...
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

There doesn't seem to be much unreleased studio material left from that period..(?) Mind you the Hip-o TYM didn't offer anything new either and "stole" Big Tears from the AF sessions..

There seems little point in re issuing AF, however I suspect we're due for some other re release of one kind or another. Interestingly all the radio session songs were removed from the 2 Hip-o releases, perhaps these will be compiled on some BBC disc or something???

In terms of live material, The Hollywood Ball show featured a lot of GH and AB songs, not really appropriate here. The best sounding show I've heard from this time is Pink Pop (June 79). The Richard Hell duet still hasn't been released (by Elvis) but apart from that, as far as I know, only "That's What Friends Are For" and possibly the elusive Jo Marshall demos remain from around this time. (I'm not sure of the dates of these recordings and I'm still looking for the Jo Marshall stuff..?)

Request..Please!

While on the subject of missing recordings from this period, I still haven't managed to get hold of a copy of "Americathon" (film) or "Ads" a song recorded with Twist..Just grabbing these would be enough for me.
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

The imposter wrote: In terms of live material, The Hollywood Ball show featured a lot of GH and AB songs, not really appropriate here. The best sounding show I've heard from this time is Pink Pop (June 79). The Richard Hell duet still hasn't been released (by Elvis) but apart from that, as far as I know, only "That's What Friends Are For" and possibly the elusive Jo Marshall demos remain from around this time. (I'm not sure of the dates of these recordings and I'm still looking for the Jo Marshall stuff..?)
The Jo Marshall stuff was available a few years ago ... not very good quality, but it was out there in an unofficial capacity. Interesting to hear ... I seem to have lost my copy of them.

I imagine that there are more alternate versions from "Armed Forces" than the two that were included on the Rhino release, but maybe nothing that would be terribly interesting (ie, sufficiently different from the released versions). I wonder if there are any demos (other than the three that showed up on the Rhino TYM)...

Agree with you 100% about Pink Pop. An excellent show - lots of energy. Once of the best EC & the A's shows I've ever heard. A couple of GH songs, but they are done in the AF style, so no problem there.