http://www.anvilarts.org.uk/whatson/200 ... 94301.html

The Anvil Trust Ltd
Churchill Way
Basingstoke RG21 7QR

http://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/lei ... singstoke/

Elvis Costello's Anvil date

Thursday 4th December 2008

By Joanne Mace

WE CAN reveal that The Anvil will be delighted to welcome Elvis Costello to the venue on Wednesday, April 22, at 7.45pm.

Elvis will join the internationally-renowned Brodsky Quartet for an evening to celebrate their long-standing collaborative link.

The programme will include tracks from their hugely successful recordings The Juliet Letters and Moodswings, alongside new material built up over the last 15 years.

The Juliet Letters was a unique creative partnership between Costello and the Brodsky Quartet, fusing pop sensibilities with chamber music, and inspired by an Italian professor’s decision to reply to the many thousands of letters written every year to Shakespeare’s fictional Juliet.

Costello also contributed vocally to the Quartet’s expressive album Moodswings.

In this performance they revisit both, but also introduce some new songs by Costello, arranged for voice and quartet.

Tickets go on sale from today and can be purchased from the box office on 01256 844244. Prompt purchase is highly recommended as this event is expected to sell out very quickly.
mood swung

Re: Elvis/Brodskys, Basingstoke April 22 '09

Post by mood swung »

why have I heard of Basingstoke?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Basingstoke is where SoLack lives and where BWAP used to.

So, are you going SoLack?

No excuses unless you are at a folk concert that night (it might be a bit warm for your arran jumper in April though :lol: ).
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Basingstoke is where SoLack lives and where BWAP used to.

So, are you going SoLack?

No excuses unless you are at a folk concert that night (it might be a bit warm for your arran jumper in April though :lol: ).
It's the same day as the Lentil Festival. Could be a conflict. :D
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Miss a couple days on here and I missed this. Tickets booked now row F.
signed with love and vicious kisses
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

By the way, I almost predicted this back in Oct 07 - see my post on this thread. Thanks Elvis, I know you're reading!

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... ke#p108297
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A Google search for ' Elvis Costello/Basingstoke'( mainly to see if he's played there before) throws up this intriguing entry -

http://www.creditgate.com/companysearch ... MITED.aspx

(extract)

Company Name: ELVIS COSTELLO LIMITED

Company Type:
Limited Company

Company No:

Company Address:
ELVIS COSTELLO LIMITED
Clifton House
Bunnian Place
BASINGSTOKE
RG21 7JE

Date:
05/12/2008
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Basingstoke is where SoLack lives and where BWAP used to.
I lived on the outskirts of town.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Boy With A Problem

Basingstoke not Boringstoke

http://www.basingstoke.me.uk/
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Home of Liz Hurley, Jane Austen, Britain's hardest water and Mr. Clappy? Amazingstoke. It's now on my Bucket List.
littletriggers

Post by littletriggers »

Goddam this posting slipped through the net , hopefully tickets available in the morning !
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Boy With A Problem wrote:
I lived on the outskirts of town.
A little too long...

I'm giving Basingstoke a miss as I can't see the setlist changing. Having said that, I bet Elvis takes even more note of SoLack's previous prediction and decides to play the first 5 albums with the Brodskys!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going ?

I am.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I'll be there with Mrs Solack and 10 year old. Happy to meet before gig if you want to. Be warned that the gigs at the Anvil usually start at the advertised time.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Random swung family association: this will take place on Josie's 11th birthday. That's not important to anybody but me (and Josie, duh) but those are some happy numbers. 4-22. :)
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I do ever so love Elvis and the Brodsky quartet. I would love to be there, but you guys must party without me. Someday I'm going to make it over there and buy everyone a pint! :D (or two)
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

We are in row F John - where are you?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I've transcribed this from the local rag - a couple more snippets about what to expect. Typo's are mine, bad grammar and factual inaccuracies are not.
Elvis Costello is coming to The Anvil for the first time next month during his tour with the amazing Brodsky Quartet.
As previously revealed exclusively in The Gazette , Costello’s date in Basingstoke on April 22 will be his only appearance in the south of England.
The evening will feature songs from his fantastic back catelogue, arranged by the singer and members of the Brodsky Quartet.
Several arrangements have been newly written especially for this tour and the set will include songs that are yet to be recorded.
The songs cover a wide range from folk ballads to early hip-hop influenced pieces such as, Pills and Soap, to the rock and roll number, My Mood Swings, Which first appeared in the Coen Brothers movie The Big Lebowski.
I thought I’d write to Juliet, a song from The Juliet Letters, has its origins in a letter sent by a female soldier in the First Gulf War, and continues into its instrumental postscript, Last Post.
This will be followed by an intense new arrangement of Costello 2005’s song, Bedlam – a catelogue of recent human disasters – and a brand new transciption of Clive Langer’s music for one of Costello’s most enduring lyrics, Shipbuilding.
The orchestral adaptation of 2008 gave Chet Baker’s spontaneous trumpet melodies from Costello’s 1983 to the string, bass and woodwind sections. These have now been arranged for the Brodsky Quartet with the central theme being accompanied as melancholy tango, in reference to the song’s origins at the time of the Falklands conflict.
This sequence of the evening will conclude with Costello’s Oscar-nominated co-composition with T-Bone Burnett, The Scarlet Tide. Written for Alison Krauss to sing in the American Civil War epic, Cold Mountain, it was later performed by Costello and recorded by Joan Baez with reference to current conflicts. The concert will feature still more surprise choices from the Costello songbook, with selections drawn from 1979 until the present day, making an evening of sheer musical quality.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The above is on the net here -

http://www.anvilarts.org.uk/whats-on/09 ... ky-quartet

My ticket is Stalls H 9.

I'm staying at the Red Lion Hotel .
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Brodsky's site has re-opened -

http://www.brodskyquartet.co.uk/index.html

- including this blog -

http://brodskyquartet.blogspot.com/
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Thanks for the site update, John. That other one had been the same for quite a while.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Arti ... cleID=9801

Acclaimed songwriter to tour with the Brodsky Quartet, with whom he released 1993's The Juliet Letters

When Elvis Costello and the Brodsky Quartet released The Juliet Letters in 1993, fans could not decide which one was selling out.
Critically acclaimed, but commercially unsuccessful, the collaboration was one of the first between a leading rock star and an esteemed classical group. Since then, the album has been recorded in its entirety by other artists, songs have been covered by Bjork and Norma Waterson, and the music has been used in dramatic and dance productions.
Now, the artists have reunited for a new tour, playing tracks from the album, new arrangements of classic Costello songs, and fresh material. Elvis Costello spoke exclusively to N2's Liam Sloan.

Liam Sloan: How did you start collaborating with the Brodsky Quartet in the early 1990s?
ELVIS COSTELLO: I was in the audience for a lot of the quartet’s classical concerts in the very late ’80s and early ’90s, especially a remarkable season when they played all of the Shostakovich quartets in just a few evenings. Following one of those concerts, we were introduced backstage.

LS: What circumstances led to your meeting and playing together?
EC: Natural curiosity in all parties. We wanted to know what would happen if we wrote and played together. We had nothing to prove and nothing to lose. Some people acted like the Barbarians were at the gates, but that all seems rather silly now.

LS: Was your original collaboration a bigger culture shock for you or the quartet?
EC: Like many people, I thought that classical musicians couldn’t possibly have the time to consider rock and roll or the football results or eating fruit cake. I quickly found that we shared an interest in at least two of these pursuits. I can’t stand cake.

LS: What memories do you have of your early playing together?
EC:We first wrote and rehearsed in a mission that had been converted to a small arts club. The first performance of The Juliet Letters must only have been to about 200 people. We didn’t even use microphones. In fact, it was such a small place that we didn’t really even have to play. We just had to think about the music and it appeared in the imagination of the audience. We were that close.

LS: What have you learnt, musically, from the collaboration?
EC: Listening is important. During the writing of The Juliet Letters, I learned to write down music on the page. I’d always been able to imagine all sorts of sounds, but it got embarrassing for me to stumble around on the piano and expect someone else to write it down.
Now I can orchestrate for orchestra, jazz big band, chamber group or string quartet but there are still some songs that are so simple that you don’t need to write them down. You just have to hit a guitar or a sturdy piece of wood, sing out and the musicians will quickly get the idea. Whatever the method, it helps to have the code on the page sometimes. Music still only comes to life in the moment it is played, regardless of how you communicate to your cohorts.

LS: Eighteen years on, how do you feel about The Juliet Letters?
EC: I’m really glad that we wrote it. We return to some of the songs in our concerts. I like the humour in a couple of tunes. Some people aren’t expecting this concert to have humour in it, they are afraid it is all going to be frightfully serious. It isn’t. I portray a couple of really twisted characters in these songs.
The piece has allowed the quartet and me to play in some very unusual locations, from the Folies Bergère in Paris, to a converted chocolate factory outside Pisa, to a brickworks in Sicily to the great city of Toledo and now, Basingstoke, places I would never visited with a rock and roll band.

LS: Tell me about some of the new musical arrangements for this tour.
EC: The songs come from the beginning of my career to the present day. Well-known songs like Shipbuilding and Accidents Will Happen but also the original version of a more recent R&B song, Either Side of the Same Town, before I collaborated on it with the songwriter Jerry Ragavoy. There are two versions of that song, and this is the first draft.
Another new arrangement contains a reference to the Welsh hymn Ar Hyd Y Nos (sometimes called All Through The Night) but you’ll have to come to the concert to see which song it appears in.
About a third of the programme are arrangements that have been especially written for this tour. One of the numbers from The Juliet Letters is based on a real letter from a female soldier in the first Gulf War. It ends with violins imitating air-raid sirens. I picked up that sound for the opening of a new arrangement of a very rhythmic song called Bedlam, which is set first in a refugee camp and then in the Green Zone, where soldiers are waiting to go out on patrol. It is a song about insanity, in which people have to make decisions. It is a challenge to use all the sounds of the quartet and an acoustic guitar to paint this picture. It isn't a pretty picture.
The song is followed by a new adaptation of Shipbuilding, because the story it tells keeps being repeated.

LS: What did you listen to growing up, and how much do you still listen to today?
EC: My first musical experiences were listening to my parents’ records – Sinatra, Peggy Lee, Ella Fitzgerald, Nat Cole, Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker. I still love all of those artists today and our two-year-old twin boys are just discovering the wonders of Nat Cole right now. Hit That Jive Jack is more popular than Old McDonald's Farm around here.
My father [Ross MacManus] sang with the Joe Loss Orchestra, so I’d sometimes go to a radio broadcast with him or to the Hammersmith Palais on a Saturday afternoon and watch the competition dancers rehearse. That was an other unusual experience to have as a young boy. It made it seem special and attainable at the same time.

LS: If you’ll forgive me, you’re gradually growing into one of music’s elder statesmen. How does that role suit you?
EC: I have no interest in being a statesman, elder or otherwise. I’ve just followed my instincts from one experience to another. People ask my opinion about things sometimes and sometimes I tell them what I think. Most of the time, I make things up like I’m busy walking my pet iguana, so I don’t have to answer the question.
You’ve no idea how many stupid things I’ve been asked to contribute to in the last 30 years. Sometimes I just say yes, just to see how bad things can get. For heaven’s sake, someone asked me to write my autobiography when I was 24 years old. That’s when I realise that publishing was no better than the record industry. It contains one or two decent men and women, and a whole trough full of gangsters and parasites.
I enjoy my job, which is writing songs and playing shows. I get to record songs, to ‘act’ and be on television sometimes, but that's just a lark.

LS: Do you find it more or less difficult to innovate than when you started? What drives you to innovate rather than plough familiar musical furrows?
EC: It is kind of you to use those words, but I don’t think in terms of innovation. I think in terms of words and music. Sometimes one leads the way, sometimes the other. Sometimes a song arrives all at once, like this song I wrote on a train the other day, You Hung The Moon. It’s about a family trying to contact a shell-shocked young man who may have been shot as a coward. They are using a glass and a table and the advice of a charlatan. They did that kind of thing back then.
Times have always been tough. We have it easy.

I think we all should plough fields. We may soon need some carrots. Nobody else is going to plant them.

Elvis Costello and the Brodsky Quartet are appearing at The Anvil, Basingstoke, on Wednesday at 7.45pm.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

So many choices -

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Arti ... cleID=9798

What's On Wednesday
Wed, April 22 2009

By Liz Warren, What's On

Email: liz.warren@newburynews.co.uk
Phone: 01635 564564

Newburytoday.co.uk's daily guide to entertainment and events in West Berkshire and beyond

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 22

- Happy’s Circus. The all-human traditional family circus show
. Kingsclere Primary School field, Ash Grove, Kingsclere, 6pm–8pm. Amanda Hatcher, (01635) 299984.

- Beginners’ Salsa Classes. Secrets Bar, 17a Market Place, Newbury, 7.30pm-9.30pm. Absolute beginners, 7.30pm, beginners from 8.30pm, dance practice afterwards. (0118) 966 8292 or www.redhatsalsa.com

- The Ravensbury Players present Farce Food. An evening of three one-act comedy plays and a light supper. Memorial Hall, Ramsbury, 7.45pm. Tickets on sale at Ramsbury Post Office and Midway Stores. Until Saturday.

- NGS Open Garden. Stockcross House, Stockcross, 11am–4pm. One-and-a-half acre garden developed over past 15 years with emphasis on plant partnerships and colour combinations. Winter bulbs and hellebores, herbaceous borders, shrubs, roses, pergola and pond, vegetable and cutting gardens, all maintained to a high standard. £3, children free, share to Helen and Douglas House Hospice.

- Film The Boat That Rocked (15) The Corn Exchange, Newbury, Bawl showing 11am, 6pm and 8.45pm. (01635) 522733 or www.cornexchangenew.co.uk

- Elvis Costello with the Brodsky Quartet. The Anvil, Basingstoke, 7.45pm. (01256) 844244 or www.anvilarts.org.uk

- Florence, The Story of Florence Nightingale. The Lights, Andover, 7.30pm (01264) 368368 or www.thelights.org.uk

- Lunchtime Recital with Clare Toomer and Paul Turner (piano duet). Wyvern Theatre, Swindon, 1.05pm. (01793) 524481 or www.wyverntheatre.org.uk

- The Blockheads. Wyvern Theatre, Swindon, 8pm. (01793) 524481 or www.wyverntheatre.org.uk

- Twelfth Night . The Haymarket, Basingstoke, 7.30pm (matinees on Thursday, April 20, and Saturday, May 2 at 2pm. (01256) 844244 or www.anvilarts.org.uk

- Shifting Sands Theatre present The Devil’s Doctor. South Street, Reading, 8pm. (0118) 960 6060 or www.readingarts.co
Boy With A Problem

Your taking the piss John.

Actually wish I could join up with you guys tonight - it's going to be a good time.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Peter Gale wrote on the eclistserv

I'll let others do this properly but a bloody great night. EC was in
fantastic voice. A real EC and Brodskys show, with no solo appearances-
there is a real night of material now inc about 5 from TJL, plus other
stuff. Highlight for me was prob a new arrangement of My 3 Sons which
clearly moved EC and an awesome Narrow Daylight.